Heerema Marine Contractors and Outside Inc. founded OOC and launched it in 2014 by a growing coalition of maritime leadership companies, industry organizations and knowledge institutes, including the World Ocean Council (WOC). The OOC online platform catalyzed a community of nearly 500 active participants in the co-creation of 88 ocean business concepts to advance cleaner oceans and industries. The OOC partners selected 16 entrepreneurs for the incubation program.
he five ventures generated by the inaugural Our Oceans Challenge (OOC) program are attracting the attention of partners and potential investors after the demoday as part of the Aerospace meets Maritime Congress and the presentation at the Blue Business Forum in Portugal. The final five entrepreneurs were selected by a coalition of partners from a total of 88 business concepts shared last year. After an intensive incubation phase and two ‘shark tank’ sessions the following five ventures are ready for a next level:
▪ Polymore: Plastic recycling tools to recycle plastic waste into useful products (Bart Bleijerveld en Laura Talsma, Better Future Factory)
▪ Protecting with Nature: Protect static steel constructions against corrosion making use of biological processes (Harald van der Mijle Meijer, TNO and Edwin Foekema, Imares)
▪ Z Ships: Zero emission vessels, boats and fleets (Jose Luis Gutierrez, Upcycle the Gyres Society)
▪ Slow Mill: Light wave energy converter (Erwin Croughs)
▪ COSWEC: Continuous Ocean Wave Energy Converter (Menno Broers)