I'm excited to announce the start of the 5 Day Mograph Challenge that I am hosting on lynda.com! What is the 5 Day Mograph Challenge? The 5 day mograph challenge is all about getting better day by day and honing your skills as a designer and an animator. Just like athletes need to train every day to get stronger physically and musicians need to practice their instrument everyday, designers need to practice creating everyday. By getting into the routine of daily creation you’re exercising a very important part of your brain...the part of your brain that problem solves. While creating new neural connections, you’re making this part of your brain stronger and expanding on your creativity. So why is it so hard to creating something, anything daily? Many people have the best intentions to try to get creating but always get stuck by the question: “What do I create?” The task of creating then becomes daunting and it’s all too easy to ultimately get overwhelmed by the infinite possibilities and you end up just not creating anything at all.
This is where my 5 day motion graphics challenges come in. They’ll narrow your focus and give you a theme to then create something from. I invite anyone who wants to sharpen their skills, learn new ones, or just needs a little extra inspiration in order to create to take on these challenges! How these challenges will work is every weekday I’ll present a theme and you’ll then create a short animated GIF based on that theme. There are 5 weeks to this challenge and the schedule is as follows:
VERY IMPORTANT! These challenges are completely FREE and open to non-lynda.com subscribers for the week of release up until the release of the next challenge. For example, the Week 1 challenge will be open the week of 08/03/15 and close 08/17/15 when the Week 2 challenge beings so be sure to join in & watch the challenge videos during the week of that challenges release up until the days leading up to the next challenge. If you're a lynda,com subscriber you can join in at any time!
When you’re finished with your animation, please share it on social media using the hashtag #5DayMograph and post it to the challenges Tumblr page: 5daymograph.tumblr.com
Need more convincing? Here is why daily creation is so important:
1. It expands your creativity by training your brain to find creative solutions to daily design problems
2. It gives you an opportunity to try a new technique or style that you may not get the chance to in your normal work day
3. Beef up your demo reel! This is a perfect opportunity to add more work to your reel & show off what you can do
4. Creating work means you can show it off! You won't learn what's good or bad design until you share your work and see what people think. You won't learn that well in a vacuum.
5. Daily challenges will teach you commitment & perseverance. Everyone who is good at design & animation is a former noob, but they didn't get to be good at their craft overnight. Every day you'll make small improvements that over time become large improvements!
Did I convince you yet? Ready to join in? Click on the link below to join in on the challenge!
The hardest part of creating is going from creating nothing to creating something, so let’s go!