Almighty God who sees everything, knows everything, and is infinitely wise, has a plan. That plan involves ending the sin, death, evil, and rebellion in this world. That plan has been written down and is ours today.
As we start our study of this next section it reminds us that ONLY God knows the future. No person, no demon, no astrologer, no prophet, no writer, no one but God KNOWS the future. That is one of the most amazing facets of God’s character. He never is surprised. God always knows what WILL happen; and only He knows that. We need to listen to God.
The Return of the King
All of human history, since the fall of mankind in the Garden of Eden, has been hurtling towards this moment, when the Creator and King of the Universe comes back to set things in order.
For thousands of years sin has run rampantly throughout the earth and the universe. Satan and his evil angels have done all they could do to thwart and disrupt the knowledge of God. Evil and misery have festered. Sin has permeated every part of human history. Death has taken every human but Enoch & Elijah. No one else has avoided death. So how can someone survive the end of the world? By listening to God's Word.
Revelation 6-19 marks the Lord says enough and starting the inexorable conquest back of sin’s reign and Satan’s rebellion.
There is probably no part of Scripture more relevant to our times than this one. No portion of Scripture better frames the way we should see global events than this one. We are in the timeliest, most cutting edge truths of God's Word as we enter these chapters, because:
Only God knows the Future
To understand the magnitude of what lies before us, do you remember God’s calling card from the Old Testament? When Israel was sinking into idolatry, false worship, and apostasy, God declared that they could know which God was the true God by the simple fact that only He knew the future.
Look with me at Isaiah 41 as we read a most amazing declaration.
As you turn there, think of what God is saying. He says no person, no group, no creature, no angel, nothing in the Universe but God Almighty knows the future. As we read this think of the power of the Bible. God has told us everything we need to know to live today and to be ready for every, and any, tomorrow. Since God already knows what is coming, He has packed His Word with everything needed.
The more you ponder that truth, the more your heart should be drawn to this Book. It is all we need for life (dealing with whatever comes) and godliness (being all that God wants us to be).
This is a powerful tool, a priceless gift, to hold our very own copy of God’s voice telling us what is coming in the future, and narrating exactly what we need to do to be ready.Only God can declare ahead of time the future. Here is God’s challenge:
Isaiah 41:21-23 (NKJV) “Present your case,” says the Lord. “Bring forth your strong reasons,” says the King of Jacob. 22 “Let them bring forth and show us what will happen; Let them show the former things, what they were, That we may consider them, And know the latter end of them; Or declare to us things to come. 23 Show the things that are to come hereafter, That we may know that you are gods; Yes, do good or do evil, That we may be dismayed and see it together.
God says, listen to me, only I know the future. Now, turn back to the end of God's Word, to the final, written-in-advance history, describing of the end of days for human history.
God’s Written Description of the End of the World
This final book of the Bible was sent to us by God the Father, through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. This is the final information we need to survive the last days.
The flow of Revelation is simple to see.
• Chapter 1 is Jesus Christ showing Himself in all His glory, as Almighty God the Son. Lesson: the only hope of surviving the end of days is with Christ.
• Chapters 2 and 3 are Christ's personal letters to the churches that bear His Name. Lesson: we who are in Christ's church have a very specific purpose in life.
• Chapters 4 and 5 are Christ's guided tour of the Throne Room of God Almighty.2013JAN13AM-2 ROK-01# vimeo.com/57469498 Uploaded 655 Plays 6 Likes 0 Comments
Three Fixed Reference Points to Understand God’s Plan: There are three points of history in verses 5,6, and 7, that form a framework for understanding God's Word as well as God’s Plan. God affirms as factual, events in the past that are very crucial for anyone who loves the Lord and wants to serve the Lord. Here they are:
1. Fixed Point-1-There was a Genesis-described, Literal Creation of the Universe by the Hand of God through Christ: God the Son, Jesus Christ created everything from nothing, just like it says in His Word. v. 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water.
Fixed Point-1-There was a Genesis-described, Literal Creation of the Universe by God the Son.
2. Fixed Point-2-There was a Genesis-described, Literal Flood that destroyed the entire world: God destroyed the world with water, as a judgment on sinful humanity, by flooding the entire earth, saving only Noah and those associated with his ark. v. 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.
Fixed Point-2-There was a Genesis-described, Literal Flood that destroyed the entire world.
3. Fixed Point-3-There will be a Revelation-described, fire-of-God-induced end of days for humanity: God will destroy the world, the final time, with fire. v. 7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
Fixed Point-3-There will be a Revelation-described, fire-of-God-induced end of days for humanity.
That should change how we look at everything if we believe God. Those three are life-altering truths. But sadly most people do not believe what God has said, and thus have lost their way, and are drifting through life without God’s fixed reference points.
These set points in history are to help each of us find our way, according to God. If we would look back at the Flood we would know God means business. The flood came from the Creator who made everything from nothing. That same God is warning of a fiery end to everything as His judgment on humanity’s sinfulness. Now, back to Peter’s intention in this chapter:
We Have a Trustworthy Guide for Pleasing God in a Wicked World
2013JAN20AM# vimeo.com/57794285 Uploaded 382 Plays 3 Likes 0 Comments