Washing Away has produced a lyric video for "This Tension" to promote the release of Part Two on August 6th. The video incorporates pictures of the band's recording sessions that began over two years ago. "This Tension" continues the Washing Away saga that started with Part One. This song is where the main character and his band mate's girlfriend give into their mutual attraction. The rest of the songs draw out the tension created by their actions as you may imagine by the titles -- "This Games", "Resist or Regret", and "Breaking Up Every Day".
A driving rock song about a girl seducing her ex while she's got a boyfriend and side guy. This game of spin-the-bottle means heartbreak. This is the first track off Washing Away’s Part Three - EP, released May 27, 2016, available for download and streaming.
- Bass guitar to play and sing with, of course.
- 5 bottles of soda pop in glass bottles to spin and break. I didn’t use beer because I wanted a sense of youth and innocence. Plus, the different colors were nice. I needed 4 bottles of to tie up and break and 1 empty one to spin.
- 2-pack of pink sponges to cut into hearts. I cut the 2 sponges into thirds to make 6 hearts - 1 to go in the spinning bottle, 4 to go with colored soda pop, and 1 extra.
- Nickel and tape to stabilize the spinning bottle. This was crucial. It would have been impossible to get shots of a spinning bottle on a smooth countertop without this trick. I tested a dime and quarter, but the nickel had the best dimensions. I taped it where the bottle was balanced and filmed the bottle with the heart covering it. Spinning was trial and error - I just kept going until I got the bottle to land on the color I want to break next.
- Floss to tie up the hearts and bottles. I already had plenty of floss samples from the dentist, so I pulled out all the floss from a fresh sample. I divided it into 4 lengths to tie to 4 hearts and tape the other end to my kitchen cabinet. I tied the heart end in a quick-releasing knot around the bottles so they would fall to the ground when tugged and the heart would remain.
- Card stock and tape to tug the bottles off. When I pulled on the card out of view, the bottle would come loose from the knot and fall to the ground, leaving the heart swinging.
- Blanket and couch cushions to catch the bottles.
- Dark bed sheet for a backdrop to cover my kitchen sink.
Fast and furious music accompanies suspicions of cheating, leading to a confrontation. It's hard to find truth in a tangle of tin can phones.
This is the second track off Washing Away’s Part Three - EP, released May 27, 2016, available for download and streaming. Lewis filmed himself using his iPhone 5 and edited the video in iMovie.
- 6 tin cans each with a hole
- 3 10' lengths of string
- Mic stands to hold up iPhone and tin can
- Bass guitar and amp
- 2x4 for stompin' in lieu of drums or one-man-band equipment
- 2 changes of clothes to make a convincing second character
- Door between rooms for mysterious separation