Deceased and Incapacitated Users
Last Updated: April 2015
In the unfortunate event of the death or incapacity of a Vimeo member, Vimeo may, upon the request of an appropriate person, and as required or permitted by applicable law, deactivate or transfer the member’s Vimeo account. To make a request, please provide the following information in writing:
- The URL of the member’s Vimeo account.
- Your name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
- Your relationship to the member.
- The change in account status that you are requesting.
If you are a family member and are only requesting deactivation of an account of a deceased member, please provide evidence of the member’s death (e.g., a death certificate or obituary). For other requests, please provide evidence that you are authorized to act on behalf of the member or member’s estate such as:
- If you are a personal representative, a certified copy of the letters testamentary or letters of administration granting you authority to administer the estate of the member;
- If you are a guardian, a certified copy of the court order granting you guardian authority over the member;
- If an agent, a certified copy of the power of attorney that authorizes you to exercise authority over the affairs of the member and which includes an authorization to exercise control over the member’s digital assets and accounts;
- If by a trustee, a certified copy of the trust instrument; and
- If by fiduciary not already mentioned, a certified copy of the instrument authorizing the fiduciary to exercise control over the member’s digital assets and accounts.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that the information contained in your request is accurate.
- Your electronic or physical signature.
You may submit your request by email email@example.com or to:
Vimeo may require additional information, certifications, or a court order depending upon the circumstances and may not be able to accommodate all requests.
If we permit you to operate the account of a deceased member, you must change the name and profile page of the account to indicate that it is a memorial account and comply with any additional restrictions that we deem appropriate for memorial accounts.
Please note that, per our Terms of Service, certain content may not be available when the original member’s Plus or PRO subscription lapses and that we reserve the right to terminate basic accounts that remain inactive for a continuous period of six (6) months. We recommend that you download any content that you wish to save.