Born and raised in the South of Italy (Reggio Calabria, 1980), Fabio Mollo is a writer and director.
His first feature film, Il Sud è Niente” (South is Nothing) was selected among others to : 38° Toronto International Film Festival 2013, 64° Berlinale 2014, 8° Festival Internazional del Film di Roma - Alice nella Città 2013, 57° San Francisco International Film Festival 2014, Open Roads: New Italian Cinema 2014 New York. Fabio was nominated for Best New Director at the Silver Ribbon Italian Film Critics Award and the Italian Golden Globe Award.
He also directed several shorts, including “Al Buio” ( 62nd Venice Film Festival) and "Giganti" ( 53th Berlinale, Best Short at the Torino Film Festival, the International Press Award at Clermont Ferrand).
He has been a selected participant of the Atelier de la Cinefondation du 64° Festival de Cannes and won the Universal Filmmaster Program in Los Angeles, the Young Italian Filmmaker Prize in New York, the Nipkow Programm Fellowship in Berlin and the Torino Film Lab Production Award.
He graduated in 2002 from the University of East London with a degree in Visual Thoeries: Film History and from the National Italian Film School Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia in Rome in 2006..
- " Il Sud è Niente " – South is Nothing, (90' – HD – 2013 - Italy, France - B24 Film , Madakai , Rai Cinema ).
Official Selection: 64° Berlinale 2014, 38° Toronto International Film Festival 2013, 8° Festival Internazional del Film di Roma - Alice nella Città 2013, 31° Torino Film Festival, 57° San Francisco International Film Festival 2014 , Festival Internacional de Cinema d'Autor de Barcelona 2014, Open Roads: New Italian Cinema 2014, Festival del Cinema Italiano di Tokyo 2014, Jerusalem Film Festival 2014, Peace & Love Film Festival 2014 (Jury Award), Roseto Opera Prima (Best Film awards), Ortigia Film Festival 2013 (Best Film and Best Actress awards), Maremetraggio International Film Festival 2014 (Best Film and Best Actress awards), Gallio Film Festival (Best director and Best Actress awards), MEDIT Festival de Cinema Mediterrani de Menorca, Bif&est Bari International Film Festival 2014, Sudestival 2014, Ischia Film Festival 2014,e altri.
Nomination for Best New Director for Nastro d'Argento -Silver Ribbon Italian Film Critics Award. Nomination for Best New Director, Best Actress and Best Music Score for the Globo d'Oro - Italian Golden Globe Award from the Rome Foreign Press Association.
The script has been awarded with the Production Award at Torino Film Lab 2010, selected at the Atelier de la Cinefondation du 64° Festival de Cannes, at the Berlinale Talent Project Market of the 61° Berlinale, at the Ateliers d’Angers 2009.
- Napoli 24 - Naples 24 : (Collective documentary, 75', HD, 2010 – Indigo Film e Teatri Uniti) 29° Torino Film Festival, Monaco Film Festival 2014, New Italian Cinema Event 2014.
- Giganti – Giants (Short Film - 24’ - super 16mm - 2007) – Best Short at 25° Torino Film Festival, Special Mention of the Press Jury at 30° Clermont-Ferrand , official selection and competition at 58° Berlinale , Special Mention Best Director at “Nastri D’argento” Silver Ribbon Italian Film Critics Award, RTP2 – Onda Curta Award and Special Mention of the Jury at 9° Circuito Off Venice International Film Festival, winner of the Universal Filmmaster, and others
- Carmilla (Short Film -22’ – 35mm – 2006) awarded with Best Cinematography and Best Actress at Trevignano International Film Festival.
- Al Buio – In the Dark (Short Film -10'- 35mm – 2005) – Official Selection at the 62° Mostra del Cinema di Venezia , awarded with Kodak Short Film Award at Visioni Italiane 2005, and other)
- Quello che sento – (Short Film 20' – DV – OZ Prod – 2004) .
- Troppo Vento – (Short Film – 8' - DV – OZ Prod. – 2003).