Ethan Zuhl

Ethan Zuhl

Does anybody know the correct url structure for passing the required params in for the methods in the advanced API.

thanks,

Ted Roden

Ted Roden Alum

You have to pass all the parameters as post variables.

So you'd post "&user_id=ted&method=vimeo.videos.getList&api_key=whatever&api_sig=23423432" to vimeo.com/api/rest

I hope to put up more documentation very soon.

Ethan Zuhl

Ethan Zuhl

Thanks for the heads up, and quick answer... much appreciated!

Just to clearify, we will not be using the secret key to hash any data sent to you.. correct?

Ted Roden

Ted Roden Alum

You don't need to hash any of the data except the signature itself.

Ethan Zuhl

Ethan Zuhl

what is the parameter for the Signature?

Desmarkie

Desmarkie

Cool! Was dying to have a go on this :)
Unfortunately I can't seem to get anything back :(
Probably just me being a dullard. If so pls post a url call in full or drop me a line with an example cos everything I've tried returns a blank screen

Desmarkie

Desmarkie

No hassle btw, I didn't mean to sound pushy :)
You lot are doin a bang up job!

Ethan Zuhl

Ethan Zuhl

having trouble too. Are you saying that we are only building the hash with the api_sig itself? How are you checking for unique requests?

Ted Roden

Ted Roden Alum

Oh no, I'm sorry. To generate the api_sig, you hash the secret and the param key/values.

To build the login url (from upcoming documentation):

api_sig is a signature of the parameters. Signatures are created using your secret and the other argumnents listed in alphabetical order, name then value. In our example, our API key is 12345, our shared secret is 6789 and we want to request write permissions.

So our signature string is 6789api_key12345permswrite. This is secret + 'api_key' + [api_key] + 'perms' + [perms]. We then take the MD5 sum of the string - this is our [api_sig] value. We can then build our full login URL:

vimeo.com/services/auth/?api_key=12345&perms=write&api_sig=db83adce00f7d41600e4ee600d8d67c2

The URL to redirect your users to (for auth): vimeo.com/services/auth/
The URL for each call: vimeo.com/api/rest/
The upload URL is: vimeo.com/services/upload/

I'll try to post some example code and documentation as early later today. Sorry for the delays.

Desmarkie

Desmarkie

I'm still having trouble pulling info from the api.
I've got permissions set okay, and I have managed to get a test echo, but I just can't pull a list of my videos. This isn't even through an app, just trying to build the url myself. Seems to work ok with flickr and facebook but not here. Am I doing something wrong?

vimeo.com/api/rest/?method=vimeo.videos.getList&user_id=desmark&api_key=mykeyhere&api_sig=mysighere

where my sig is generated the same way as has been detailed.
mysecret 'api_key' mykey 'method' vimeo.videos.getList 'user_id' desmark

hmm, the forum dropped the plus signs

I need to be slapped with a wet fish

Ted Roden

Ted Roden Alum

What does this tell you? Does it return anything? (You may have to view source if you're doing this in your browser)

Justin Alcon

Justin Alcon

When I call the List methods vimeo complains of a Invalid signature, however I am able to sign many other method calls correctly, I have triple checked it and I have no idea what is wrong with these signatures.

The signature string before MD5 hex is:

api_key0d16ce0353d684005759af49d37e3824methodvimeo.videos.getListuser_iduser1786234page1per_page20

and I am trying to call:

vimeo.com/api/rest/?method=vimeo.videos.getList&api_key=0d16ce0353d684005759af49d37e3824&api_sig=537ab6431fe78bad567ce02f245df821&user_id=user1786234&page=1&per_page=20

I get the following response:

Justin Alcon

Justin Alcon

my secret is before the api key, but I am not posting it here

Justin Alcon

Justin Alcon

Thanks I noticed that and that fixed several of them, however you might notice in the above example to call vimeo.groups.getMembership I still get the invalid signature error even though there is only one argument, perhaps I am confused does the alphabetical order include the api_key and the method argument as well?

Justin Alcon

Justin Alcon

answer, yes it includes all args, thanks for all the help on this guys, this is going to be sweet!

Justin Alcon

Justin Alcon

and I have fixed this one, it is the space (%20)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.