Collin Allen

Collin Allen Plus

Greetings,

I'm building an iPhone app that leverages the Vimeo Advanced API. After I got OAuth working and requested a Request Token per the spec, I needed to send my user to the Vimeo authorization URL. This works, and redirects the user to vimeo.com/log_in as required when they're not already logged in.

The problem I'm having as that the Vimeo website isn't showing the mobile-optimized version of the login form. In the past, I've been able to spoof an iPhone's MobileSafari user-agent or just visit Vimeo on an iPhone to see the mobile version. Now, I can't get it to show the mobile version at all, even on a real iPhone. Here are several of the user-agents I tested that do not appear to be responding with the mobile login form. The last one is particularly important to me, as I'll be presenting the authorization page in a UIWebView (the iPhone's embeddable web browser view):

iPhone 3GS MobileSafari (iOS 3.1.3)

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

iPad MobileSafari (iOS 3.2)

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7W367a Safari/531.21.10

iPhone 3G/3GS MobileSafari (iOS 4.0)

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone Simulator; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7

iPhone 4 MobileSafari (iOS 4.0)

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7

UIWebView instance (iOS 4.0)

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone Simulator; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293

Collin Allen

Collin Allen Plus

Just a technical update for this...

Visiting vimeo.com/log_in, I've found, always returns the desktop page. However, visiting vimeo.com on a mobile device and clicking the Log In button brings up a mobile login form.

It seems my earlier problem isn't that the mobile login form at vimeo.com/log_in is in some way skipping over some user-agents, it's that it doesn't ever show a mobile version. Is there a way that the OAuth authorization page (which is mobile-friendly) can redirect to a mobile-friendly login page when it detects mobile devices?

Makoto Schoppert

Makoto Schoppert

I would like this functionality too. I'm experiencing the same issue with the Android's WebKit browser as well. Also, once I do log in, it doesn't take me to the Authorization page, instead, shows me a list of videos.

Makoto Schoppert

Makoto Schoppert

Hey Brad, just wanted to let you know that while testing in Android 1.6, it's not showing the mobile version.

The user agent of that browser is this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; sdk Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile

Todd Fleenor - Holly View Video

Todd Fleenor - Holly View Video Plus

My Window Mobile phone is also not able to login to Vimeo. The same phone is unable to play any Vimeo videos. Is there a solution to Windows mobile phone users? Its currently running Windows Mobile 6.1. Thanks

Makoto Schoppert

Makoto Schoppert

I used to be a big fan of Windows Mobile and was a fan since WM 2003.... that is, until something better came out. I went from Windows Mobile 6.1 to iPhone, and now from iPhone to android, and never even entertained the idea of ever going back to Windows Mobile.

The short of it is, you should consider getting a different smart phone. The IE browser that comes with it is really horrible, and the Opera browser that runs on WM was better, but still ran slow.

Even though I am an experienced Microsoft developer, I found it hard to make apps for it even in a language and environment that I was already familiar with. I hopped into Android development with no experience with Java/Eclipse IDE and having no problems coding away.

I know this isn't the solution you were looking for, but just my perspective from someone who's used different smart phones.

sergio martins

sergio martins

I'm trying to use my Windows Mobile 6.1 to watch Vimeo videos, like youtube does and work properly, but not Vimeo. Does any developer are working on it? Thanks

Lvivsoft account

Lvivsoft account

Hi everyone,
it looks like 'mobile login' again does not work (login works Ok but it displays as desktop version and does not show mobile version of login page - tested on several Android devices (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; ru-ru; Nexus One Build/GRK39F) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)). I remember that it worked as expected 3-4 months ago.

Vimeo team, could you please clarify when it will be fixed?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.