Cristobal Viedma

Cristobal Viedma

Hi,

I'm trying to embed a video that is hidden from vimeo on my website. I use the option "Hide this video from Vimeo" which seems to work nicely.

However I am using OEmbed to get information about the video, among other things its thumbnail_url. It seems that I cannot get it while the video is hidden from vimeo, which it doesn't make much sense to me. Even if I hide the video from vimeo I should be able to get the thumbnail URL from OEmbed. At least this is what I would like.

What's your take here? Can we have this done?

thanks,

Cristobal viedma

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Cristobal,

We don't give out that info because the video is private. We only give out public videos in both oEmbed and the Simple API.

Cristobal Viedma

Cristobal Viedma

Hi Brad, thank you for your quick reply.
The thing is, I didn't put my video as private. I have the option but I didn't say that. I say I don't want the video to show in Vimeo, BUT still be able to embed it outside.
And that's what is happening, the video is still playable from an embedded frame.

If the video is not private and is playable from outside, it should be possible to access its information from oEmbed. Dont you think??

best,

cristobal

Ryan Hargrave

Ryan Hargrave

I agree and asked this question here as well:
vimeo.com/forums/topic:23409#comment_3451193

I don't want it private.. I just don;t want it to show on Vimeo. My use case is for rough cuts and previews that I don't want in my feed but need to share. And I do it via the oembed on my own site.

Cristobal Viedma

Cristobal Viedma

Mr. Vimeo, any further thoughts about this?
It hasn't been solved yet....

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

We decided to change the behavior here, since we think it does make sense. If your video is public or hidden from vimeo.com it will start showing the full information though oembed.

Bogdan Morar

Bogdan Morar

If we use Simple API for "public or hidden from vimeo.com" will result a kind of "404" page (with message not found.). With oembed is working. When do you think will be fixed this issue for Simple API?

Example of hidden from vimeo.com video:
vimeo.com/18457234

API result:
vimeo.com/api/v2/video/18457234.php

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

It's by design. The Simple API only lists videos that are public. We made the exception with oEmbed because the video is still embeddable.

539090 filmproductions GmbH

539090 filmproductions GmbH PRO

Hi -

This still does not seem to work -

We are using a PRO account and want to keep our videos hidden from vimeo, and embed them on our site.

oembed does work but the thumbnail is way to small.

what can we do?

thanks

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Are you passing a width/height with your oEmbed call? It should give you the most appropriate thumbnail for the width/height you request.

Guy Swinburne

Guy Swinburne Plus

How about when i hide my videos in my album then suddenly when i came back to my album, why is it messages appears like this SORRY, NO VIDEOS FOUND, but i have the videos previously. The different is when i hide my videos...

Kate Jones

Kate Jones

Could you please let me know if it is possible to get thumbnail images to display in my website "Hide this video from Vimeo" is set using API method?

gohawaii

gohawaii PRO

Hi
I am wondering if there is a bug - I have set videos to private, (hide from vimeo) but when I add them to a channel, the channel privacy takes precedence. What I am trying to do is either, get a list of videos in the channel then pull the list of HIDDEN videos via oEmbed to my site, but NOT have them available on vimeo (when you add them to a channel you can still view PRIVATE videoes on vimeo, if you change the setting to only moderators, you are stuck with no videos visible in the channel via the simple api....) - OR - get a list of HIDDEN videos from an album, as it is the simpleAPI hidden video settings take precedence.
I don't want to make my user have to login to vimeo with oAuth to watch a video - there must be a way to do this, perhaps I am being daft. Any ideas?
thnks

TheCreators.com

TheCreators.com

Hide from Vimeo is broken. I have all my videos set to Hide from Vimeo, but none of the links work. Whenever someone tries to view them, it says private video. But I have not set the video to private. I have only set it to Hide From Vimeo. I want it to do what it is supposed to.

" I want to post this video on the web but don't want it to be available on Vimeo.com. "

See how it says "I want to post this video on the web"? Why doesn't selecting this option actually allow you to post videos on the web? This option needs to be fixed ASAP.

Link: vimeo.com/83232780

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.