Hans Nieser

Hans Nieser

I'm exploring the possiblity of using vimeo.com for creating a web application for a client, who wants an e-learning environment where a small group of people can upload videos and rate each other's videos (kind of like a competition) with as little hassle as possible. I'd like the users to not have to create yet another account/login (other than for the e-learning system itself), and instead have the videos uploaded to and associated with a main vimeo.com Plus account.

To do this however I would need to hardcode the credentials for this account (on the server-side, of course) and from the API documentation it isn't clear if this is possible. The docs only mention the use of OAuth (which seems to be purely for authenticating on behalf of the users of my application), except for the mention of "Installed Application Authentication" on vimeo.com/api/docs/authentication which doesn't seem to be elaborated upon anywhere :/

Is what I want possible? Is Vimeo even the right place for what I need? (I ask because the usage terms seem to forbid commercial usage, and I'm not sure if what I am trying to do falls under that - I only get payed for developing the application and hosting it). If not, can anyone maybe recommend a good video hosting service?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

I'm not sure if that falls under commercial usage (better to ask about that in the Help or General Discussion forum), but we do not allow multiple users to upload to a single account.

Anthony Glazebrook

Anthony Glazebrook

Hi Brad

Can you tell me if it is still not possible to have multiple users upload to a single account. I'm looking to achieve something similar to Hans.

Ben Hutton

Ben Hutton

According to the Pro FAQ, you may do this if you make sure users give you rights to use their video vimeo.com/help/pro_guidelines

I'm planning to use Vimeo to do the same thing, although I'm struggling to find any way to test the viability of using their upload API without shelling out $200 for a pro account (aka, no sandbox / test account)

Link: vimeo.com/help/pro_guidelines

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.