Josh

Josh

I noticed that the api vids I'm working on stopped playing on the iPad so I started to debug the problem and then noticed I can't play the playground.html nor any other vimeo clips on vimeo.com.

Everything seems to work fine via a desktop browser, iPhone, or android browser. Just the iPad shows the initial picture with the UI working but, when you press play it sits there at 00:00 and then the UI seems to freeze.

Might just be a temporary issue today?
QQ

Josh

Josh

Ya, this was because of trying to use the API to play the clip once it was loaded. On the iPad you have to let the user press the play button or else the API gets frozen.

dmcvittie

dmcvittie

I am having the exact same issue as well on a web project for a Vimeo Pro account holder (not my account).

I have been testing on an iPad 1 and even the playground at player.vimeo.com/playground will not work.

It looks like when you click "play" on the player, the video controls are re-skinned with a different look and feel. I thought this may be the player converting to the HTML5 player, but shouldn't it automatically do that on iOS devices?

Any insight would be appreciated as this is planned to launch next week and having the API work on an iPad is a blocking requirement.

dmcvittie

dmcvittie

Just to update this since no one has posted since my post:

It looks like the PostMessage protocol does NOT send the "user initiated click" flag to the player. Apple's video playing policy for mobile devices is that the user must initiate the play event.

Since PostMessage is not passing that flag through to the API the video must always be started by having the user click the "play" button on the Vimeo player before you can interact with the player through the API.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Vertex Pharmaceuticals PRO

I am also having this issue. We got Plus so we could play our videos specifically on iPad. Vimeo claims they will work on all iPads, but they don't, and Vimeo seems to be ignoring the issue. I am officially frustrated. I hit play and it just sits at 0:00, yet plays on Android. What's the deal Vimeo?
Thanks!

John Shedd

John Shedd

Hello....how about an answer to this issue? Are you out there Vimeo people?...

tecambas

tecambas

nothing? :-( My App has been rejected too

Erik Kluit

Erik Kluit Plus

same problem on iPad3, when I switch to HD before playing it does play, when I don't it does not (freezes at 0:00)?
Can you help me, what should i do to make the video play directly when pushing the play button?

MyConsultant

MyConsultant

Same problem here. User hits play and the activity indicator spins forever with the video never starting.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.