Patrick Altman

Patrick Altman

I am a bit confused. How does user authentication work? I mean, if I have a stand alone desktop (or script based) app consuming the API, how do I handle passing the user context to the API? The documentation says things like "If the calling user is logged in" but how do you know who the calling user is? As far as I can tell, having the user load the URL that passes my api key to /services/auth/ only allows the user to grant permissions to my app to work with their account.

Is it cookie based? If so, what is the recommended way of grabbing that cookie value to pass in the HTTP headers when making requests outside of the browser? Is this API really only for web based right now? I can't get my head around how the API is supposed to work with an application that doesn't use the browser.

Thanks,
Patrick Altman

Ted Roden

Ted Roden Alum

Wow, it looks like our documentation for desktop auth got eaten and was missing. I just updated it to show the authentication process for desktop apps. It's almost identical to flickr's auth process.

vimeo.com/api/desktop-auth-howto

Ted Roden

Ted Roden Alum

But the short of it is that it's token based. Once the user verifies that you your app can use his/her account, your app gets a token that is used to show vimeo that the user is logged in.

andre

andre

Hi,
I'm facing the same problem...
the documentation for desktop based authentication at vimeo.com/api/docs/desktop-auth

there is still the same question, see first post
after getting the frob, and autherizating my app over the browser, i get

even if i wait a minute after getting the frob, the problem is still there

thanks
andre reiter

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.