Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi everyone, there appears to be some confusion about this topic.

Vimeo does not have any plans to provide live streaming or live video capabilities.

This topic is referring to Apple's HTTP Live Streaming protocol, aka HLS. For PRO members, we provide a URL to the HLS file that allows dynamic switching between mobile, SD, and HD versions of a video. This can can be retrieved through the Video file tab in a video's Settings, or via our new API. More information here:

Third-party/external player FAQ: vimeo.com/s/tbv API endpoints: developer.vimeo.com/api/endpoints/ HLS documentation: developer.apple.com/streaming/

Edit: Changed topic name on 10/27/14 from "HTTP Live Streaming via API" to "HLS URL via API" to avoid confusion with live streaming service. Again, Vimeo does not have any plans to provide live streaming or live video capabilities.

FitOrbit

FitOrbit PRO

Is HTTP Live Streaming URL via API on Vimeo's roadmap?

I've seen many people request it in forums but no acknowledgement from Vimeo staff. We are building a mobile app and require the ability to dynamically provide these URLs with our content.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

We will probably provide these through the API at some point, but there is no ETA at the moment.

Tim Hargis

Tim Hargis Plus

Brad, any word on this? This is very important for us as well to be able to grow. Thanks for the help!

gizmoot

gizmoot

I would like to stream Vimeo video URLs directly to a DLN/UPnP AV TV ...

Marcus Estes

Marcus Estes

Any update on providing the HLS endpoint via the API?

Speedweek

Speedweek PRO

Hi, i would like to know too.. Any updates on this?

CO-CREATIVE

CO-CREATIVE PRO

Hi Guys,

With any of the existing Vimeo plans, am I able to stream live video (from a conference for example) directly to my Vimeo account and embed that feed into a private webpage so that it can be watched from there live?

i.e. use Vimeo much like a Livestream Pro account - as a way to broadcast live video to a private website?

Regards,
Dean

dotankstudios

dotankstudios

We absolutely NEED this for a project we are working on

Tim Hargis

Tim Hargis Plus

Same for us - this is extremely important for us to be able to expand our enterprise account with Vimeo over time!

Lam Research

Lam Research PRO

Very interested in this as well. Would love to see live streaming as an added option to be able to embed into a private site.

Andrew Halton

Andrew Halton PRO

Yes, what Southeast Christian said above.
Private/password protected live streaming video is a must, just like a private video or portfolio.
I'm really looking forward to Vimeo coming through with this.
Please make this happen.

Zyncro

Zyncro PRO

That would be a nice feature and we support it. We don't feel comfortable doing the live streaming with "the other" platform and sure we would do the switch. Any news on this?

ZRKAC

ZRKAC Plus

Live streaming would be a great addition to the services you provide.

Phil Donnison

Phil Donnison Plus

Live streaming is an obvious addition to Vimeo. I have several clients who are looking for a reliable way to cover their events live on the net. Some would need private/password protected live streaming while others are more general and wouldn't require a password to view. This could be an option, just as it is on archived Vimeo films.

OVCN

OVCN PRO

churchstreaming.tv/ does streaming for only $99/mo, unlimited bandwidth. They have an option to automatically load the recording to your vimeo account, including uploading replays.

Excellent customer service and high quality streams. Highly recommend them.

Link: churchstreaming.tv/

Andrew Halton

Andrew Halton PRO

Hey Churchstreaming.tv - $99/mo. is out of the question.
Let's get something going with Vimeo that's better than DaCast, Livestream, Ustream, or even Adobe Media Server. Charging $1200/year is absurd, especially when it comes to password protection.

For most clients, this form of delivery is expected. We are video producers, not Pay-Per-View agents. In many cases, if you're not live, then you're already yesterday's news.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We have no plans to get into live streaming or live video delivery. Many recent users posting in this thread are confusing actual live streaming with Apple's HTTP Live Streaming protocol (aka HLS). This thread is regarding the latter.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We have no plans to get into live streaming or live video delivery. Many recent users posting in this thread are confusing actual live streaming with Apple's HTTP Live Streaming protocol (aka HLS). This thread is regarding the latter.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Please read the sticky post at the top of the thread - yes, it is currently possible to retrieve the HLS URL via API.

Eswar

Eswar

Hello Vimeo Team,

I have seen that, so many people requesting you for HLS through Vimeo Player. Why dont you people provide streaming through your player. This will help content owners to protect their videos from being ripped by users.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're working on adaptive playback for desktop browsers now. iOS viewers are already getting adaptive playback on their devices.

Eswar

Eswar

Hello Tommy, When can we expects the release of Adaptive streaming.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

No ETA at the moment, but it is in active development. Large updates like this take time to build, test, and roll out.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.