DreamCatcher Mentoring

DreamCatcher Mentoring

Hi there. How can the API be used to determine if a video has finished processing and is ready to be played?

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

I use this call (player.vimeo.com/config/yourvideoId?type=local&callback=updateProgress). It is not documented. However, it is used by the Vimeo video conversion page to get conversion status. I found it by viewing the page source while my video was converting during a manual upload. If you do that you will see Vimeo making this AJAX call to get the video status.

Some Background:
Because users of my app upload solely from my app and not the Vimeo site, I needed a way to detect when conversion is complete. So I looked to see how Vimeo is doing it on their web page. What I found was that call. As part of understanding how this call works, I noticed once the conversion is complete, this call returns a bunch of information about the video.

MOD - Musical Operating Devices

MOD - Musical Operating Devices

This vimeo.com/yourVideoId?action=status&hd_status=true didn't get me anything useful, just the same video page...

Hey Vimeo, this is an important part of an API, please provide an official way. It's really bad to rely our business in hacking the system guts to make an upload work, and then find by our users that everything is broken because you changed the way you do things.

Slow Motion Fun

Slow Motion Fun

Dear Vimeo Team,

When video processing is done a callback to a url (which can be set by app admin page) which contains the video id and processing status would be great and a very serious need.

King Regards

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We don't have a push notification for when a video has finished transcoding. For now, you'll need to occasionally make a call for the clip's status (it'll change to "status": "available" when the clip has finished transcoding).

Ernestov Vila

Ernestov Vila

How can i make the call in order to check the clip transcoding status once i have upload it ? This is part of the api ? i cant find anything related to this in the api documentation.

Smartformer UG

Smartformer UG PRO

Hi there, can you tell us what the different status codes for clip availability are and what their meaning is?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

The different status codes are below; pretty self-explanatory what they are :)

available
uploading
transcoding
quota_exceeded
uploading_error
transcoding_error

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.