judesays

judesays Plus

this one looks very promising, in my opinion.
.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=110037&catGroupId=25002&modelNo=HDC-SD1&surfModel=HDC-SD1&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702
1. it records onto SD cards (viva la tapeless revolucion!)
2. hot HD action
3. under 1G
4. AVC engine (I've heard good things about this)
5. Quick Start (begin recording within 1.7 seconds of turning on)
6. HDMI out (my hvx doesn't even have this)

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

Yes yes yes yes!

Exactly, what's up with the HVX not having HDMI? seems like a no brainer for all things HD. Maybe there wasn't enough room. Still you get a lot for what you pay for from the HVX. And I think the same is true for many Panasonic video cameras these days.

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

Seems like the more affordable ones are shooting 30p. To shoot 24p is a luxury or something.

judesays

judesays Plus

good point dalas, I have no idea what frame rate it shoots, nor does it seem to be readily available information. what I DID find out is that though it shoots 1080, it's 1080i (booooo), not 1080p. there is a decent review of it here: simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/panasonic_hdc-sd1.html, but it really doesn't mention whether it shoots 30 or 24p..... I'm guessing 30.

Drew Keller

Drew Keller

Unless you are using something like P2, all these cameras will be running at 60i. There seems to be some confusion between tape speed and camera speed. Most of these cameras will run to a drive or a tape at 60 images per second. Unfortunately, they are not usually 60 progressive images, just 60 fields. If your camera is shooting in "frame mode" or "Cinema mode" with these cameras, you are in essence shooting a variation of progressive segmented frame (or PSF) where the interlaced footage is one single frame, a single slice of time if you will, on to two adjoining fields. When displayed, the stitch the two segments together to for a complete frame, emulating the progressive format. If you are shooting in 24 fps mode then it does a variation of a 2-3 cine expand frame cadence on the fly. This is true even for DVCProHD. Bottom line, if you are not shooting P2, HDCam or recording on something like a Viper, you are probably in an interlaced format. Bummer.

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

But what about Panasonic's 24PA mode on their DVX100a and b cameras. Those shoot 24p and must be edited on a 24p timeline. I'm not talking about the camera's 24(P) mode which is what you describe above, I'm talking about their Advance mode. I don't have to record to P2. I know it is converted on the fly somehow.

Maybe i'm wrong about the whole thing. Is Cinema Mode a Sony thing?

judesays

judesays Plus

right. if you are recording on miniDV (except HDV) you are recording interlaced. P2 RULEZ! I'm also excited to test the RED camera thing. the footage looks nice and the compression is amazingly efficient. a 1080 HD clip played quite nicely on my aging g4 powerbook....

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.