Ben

Ben Plus

I've been looking for a new camera recently, I just want something that's cheap but still shoots good video, I'm liking the TX1 from canon, but I'd like to see more option. Can someone suggest a TX1 alternative?

Ben

Ben Plus

no not really, but it would be nice.

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

Then why not check out a video (ONLY) tape-based or card based video camera? Or are you looking for an all-in-one?

I like the Panasonic Lumix LX2. Shoots 16:9 "HD" sized video and also 4:3 30fps video. Sound is alright as in pretty much the same with all PS video cameras. (Crummy) but alright for voice.

?? What will you be using this camera for? Vimeo? Flickr? Work? Play? Throw around? Travel? Serious work?

Andrew Love

Andrew Love

I did the research before deciding on the TX1. Others are good but just don't have the versatility and quality that it offers. I can HIGHLY recommend the TX-1, as I currently own one.

Just remember that on top of the cost of the camera, you will want to purchase either a 4 or an 8GB SDHC card and you will most likely want to invest in Quicktime Pro to convert the massive HD video this thing shoots down to something you can upload.

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

I agree. Lots of fast 4 or 8 gig cards. QT Pro is fine for simple edits if you are on a PC. If you already have a mac, use iMovie, which comes with the mac. Unless you are on a really old one. QT Pro is fine for $30 (despite what Vimeo suggests). You can do really simple cuts. Also Add Titles. I haven't figured out how to plug-in an audio track (aka. music) (I'd like to, in a pinch.) And the compression for h.264 is superb.

Andrew Love

Andrew Love

agreed. I don't use it to edit, but i do use it for it's superb H.264 encoding quality.

Gabito Guzman

Gabito Guzman

Ian, hit me for an answer on how to drop in an audio track in QT Pro in a pinch... requires Audacity most likely to prep the track and make it fit, but it works great... I can do it in a few minutes once the vid is done, have the approximate length and a general idea of the spot in the music track...

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.