Paul Jewess

Paul Jewess

Hello

Just wondering if someone out there could help. I'm going to be shooting a music video for a horror punk band and will be using a Canon 7D camera to shoot on. The loction for the video will be within the woods and we will be shooting at night. (So, low lighting) Just wondering what would be the best Len/len's to use for this shoot ?

Many Thanks
Paul.

SlowBow

SlowBow Plus

Well, I don`t have a lot of experience with cameras or lenses, but if there is one thing I do have experience with it`s shooting video in the woods with low light conditions.

I don`t know if much will help. Things start to go kerflue about a half hour before dark, and 15 minutes before dark all turns to sand 8^).

Of course, I`m sure there are solutions to this for big $$ BUT you may want to experiment with some passive lighting.

Or perhaps get up real early. For some reason the video quality is a little better just as it gets light in the morning.It still looks dark, but the increasing light levels seem to help the camera get a better shot.

Paul Jewess

Paul Jewess

Thank so much SlowBow. I think I'll take that into account of what you said about the morning light.

Just had a look at some of your videos- Rad man, really nice footage you have there.

Thanks again !

Mark

Mark PRO

In the middle of the woods at night? That's not low light, that's no light. Aside from the moon, do you have any other light sources? Rent the fastest lens you can get. Try the Canon 50mm 1.2 borrowlenses.com/category/canon_standard

Jack Brandtman

Jack Brandtman

Yeah man, I shoot a lot with the 5D mark 2 at night and I would highly suggest going with the canon 50mm 1.2 or the standard 50mm 1.8 which is a cheapy. Try not to go over the 800 iso, it will put you in risk of getting alot of noise but don't be too afraid to push past that.

Paul Jewess

Paul Jewess

Thanks so much Mark and Jack for your input. I think I'll go for the 50mm 1.2 lens. This is my frist outing using the Canon 7D so I'm a bit apprehensive.

Many thanks
Paul.

David Scott Kessler

David Scott Kessler PRO

did you shoot your woods scene? i'd like to know how it came out. I'm experimenting for the same situation. my best solution if you have the budget is to get a few LED lights like the ones that Flolight sells. They are so small and light and run off of camcorder batteries. you can easily put them in trees to simulate moonlight. here's my first test
vimeo.com/12779847

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.