pranav manandhar

pranav manandhar

hi guys,
well i'm a total newbie in capturing video! I don't own a camcorder and i was planning to get one.

I love photography and i was thinking of trying stuff in video too. I was wondering what would be a good cam for me, under $1000? I don't need professional high end cameras, just a hd camcorder with manual support in it will do.

One question, are DSLR video feature better than that of consumer camcorder like Canon HV30? I mean dslr allows to set aperture and shutter speed and even change them while shooting but does consumer cameras allow to do that??

And i heard dslr cameras' image stabalizer is noo good at all. is that true?
How does Canon HV30 compete with Canon 500d??

Please help me guys.

Egg Media UK

Egg Media UK Plus

If you want a good HD consumer camcorder - pretty basic but does have some manual controls, take a look at the Canon HG21 - great shooter with good HD quality.

If you're a newbie to filmmaking that is a great way to go before leaping straight to the bigger toys like DSLR's. I personally think it's best to get a good grounding and knowledge behind you in the art of filmmaking before experiementing with DSLR's like the canon 7D 5D etc. This will probably confuse you completely consider you say you are relatively new to caputuring footage.

Something like the HG21, HV20, HV30 etc is a great place to start and you can still acheive some cracking results but these sort of cameras lack the full manual controls such as focus, appeture, shutter speed and ISO that these DSLR's offer.

Also looking at your budget, it doesn't look like you can afford to stretch as far as a DSLR which is probably a good thing as mentioned by the above points.

Also it would be a huge waste of money to leap straight to something so different from a generic video camera as you state "you were thinking of trying stuff in video too" which suggests to me you're experimenting at the moment with your interests.

I hope this helps and good luck with your purchase desicion.

jontyegginton.com

pranav manandhar

pranav manandhar

thanks for your post jonty.
I've come down to these two cam for awhile, canon 500d (DSLR) and Canon HV30. I will look for canon hg21 too.
But if you had to compare these two mentioned cams, which one do you think is better and why? According to me 500d is better because of the manual controls available but i may be wrong.

Also, i've found this article on the net which mentions that i can actually mount my canon ef 50mm 1.8 lens to a HV30 consumer camcoder? Can i actually DO that? i was quite amazed when i read that.

Egg Media UK

Egg Media UK Plus

In my opinion I'd say the 500d would be a better camera but that's because I've seen what these things can acheive.

I really wouldnt start messing around with mounting lenses on top of lenses. that's not what they're meant for and yes it is possible like you say to buy adapter rings to mount an ef lens to but your just losing quality be projecting the image through 2 lenses and there will quite possibly be some distortion/pixilation in your image.

35mm depth of field adapters have had their day now it seems so if you desperately want to get your hands on a DSLR for video purposes then 550d would be a good option for you for now and sounds more in your price range.

The good thing about DSLR's is you HAVE the option to change lenses as you please so there's no need to try to fit things to camcorders that aren't meant to be there.

You say you do some photography so it shouldnt be too long getting to grips with the manual controls on DSLR's/ remember be patient as these things are a completely different ball game compared to a video camera. Not saying they're any better, just they take longer to get used to in most cases.

pranav manandhar

pranav manandhar

i guess you're right, dslr do offer more manual control. But the only question that's bugging me is about the thing i read about shakiness in video captured with DSLRs like 500d and i heard this can be avoided with consumer cam? Is this true, or its the same in both cases?

Egg Media UK

Egg Media UK Plus

shakiness is usually down to one thing, poor camera operating or a rickety old tripod.

I shoot with lenses on my Canon 7D; none of them have IS enabled and I end up with smooth footage. it's all about how YOU manipulate the camera.

type in Canon 550D into vimeo or 7D to see some truely groundbreaking results from these new breed of 'video cameras'

below is a video I shot in Paris during a mini break to visit my family.

vimeo.com/10775889

watching demo videos of others work usually always helps me make my decision when I have a potential purchase in mind.

pranav manandhar

pranav manandhar

OMG!!! your video was superb! hatss offf! soo clear soo crisp!! great work!

I don't think consumer camcorders will ever be able to take "Depth of field" effects like DSLRs, right? Well as far as i know, because of the smaller sensor, DOF effects cannot be achieved through a consumer camcorder, only macro shots or video is allowed right? I may be wrong, please correct me.

Egg Media UK

Egg Media UK Plus

thank you Pranav.

you're right at this moment in time consumer camcorders simply arnt made for the 'serious filmmaker' but are still good at what they do if having everything auto managed for you is what you want.

DOF can be achieved through using camcorders by using a 35mm adapter like a Letus 35 mini but seriously, I've been there and wasn't overly impressed with the results. The adapter manafacturers are trying to achieve DOF through using another bolt on gadget which fits onto the end of the camcorder. quality is lost, artifacting issues can occur and if I'm being honest 35mm adapters have had their day in my opinion.

If you want DOF, manual controls and that overall 'film look' then DSLR's like the 550D, 5DMKII, 7D are the closest cameras you will get to achieve that look at this current moment in time. However, as always technology is constantly improving and progressing and so must we.

don't think you have to immediately go out and jump on the DSLR bandwagon though - go with the option you feel most comfortable with. if you want one and feel you will develop your filmmaking skills through using a DSLR then go ahead.

It would be terrible to spend all that money though to find out your really not into video all that much afterall.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

I used both the 7D and HV40 in a recent music video. Both competely different cameras. The HV40 footage stoof up perfectly to the 7D. I recommend the HV40/HV30 for sure.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

Yeah, it was naked. 40% of the music video was shot with it. All the rest of my videos were shot with a bare HV40/HV30 as well. :)

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Cool. I've heard the 40 is a nice camera, but I am allergic to tape.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

Your allergies are psychosomatic. :)

I like a tangible archive.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Mini-DV tape isn't even close to archival. Don't kid yourself. Many early adopters of mini-DV are seeing their early tapes beginning to lose information already. I moved all my critical stuff to high end full size tapes years ago, and then migrated it all to optical 2 years ago.

My remaining mini-DV tapes from 2003 and 2004 are showing issues already. In another couple of years I'll probably toss them out.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

Archive...

1.A place or collection containing records, documents, or other materials of historical interest. Often used in the plural: old land deeds in the municipal archives.
2.Computer Science.
a.A long-term storage area, often on magnetic tape, for backup copies of files or for files that are no longer in active use.
b.A file containing one or more files in compressed format for more efficient storage and transfer.
3.A repository for stored memories or information: the archive of the mind.

I have VHS-C tapes from the late 90's that work perfectly right now. You aren't taking care of your tapes properly. If any of my tapes showed that they were wearing down, I'd tranfer them to data CDs...STILL TANGIBLE.

It's kinda funny how you hunt for people to debate and argue with in these forums, hehe.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

Plus, who said anything about long-term anyway? I sure didn't. You're projecting other things into this conversation, lol.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Generally "archival" implies long term storage. If you'd have said "backup" that would have been different.

VHS-C is a very different kind of signal to write to tape than the mini-DV format. And a lot more robust. I've got VHS stuff that's 20 years old at this point that still works just fine.

And I am sorry you think that I am "hunting" people to debate and argue with. Apparently, you think I am picking on you. I'm not. You have a position on certain issues that I don't share. I challenge that, you challenge back, we both learn as do other users. Nothing more than that.

It seems that it's hard to have back and forth with many people these days. Everyone is so defensive if someone disagrees with them.

I'll leave you alone man. Sorry to trouble you.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

No, I've seen you in the forum for quite some time. I think you hold the record for the biggest debater on here, hehe. I assume that any time I write in the forum I'll be getting some sort of contradictory comment from you (even though I'm writing to the author of the post and not you).

It's not a disagreement of opinions if you are telling the other person that they are wrong.

And, like I said the previous time you got on my case in the forums for something that wasn't your business, please ask questions before jumping to conclusions. It gets annoying to have to spell it all out and tell you the back and front history of things so you get it AFTER the fact. I'd appreciate it, man. :)

In the future, why don't you test things out before making up and fearing their results, thus creating a reality that you state as fact. It would be best for the filmmakers who are trying to improve. I'm not trying to be an ass, just stating my constructive opinion.

Matty Brown

Matty Brown PRO

By the way, you have no idea how my archive works. When I transfer a miniDV to CD I end up re-using the tape a couple more times, then blacking it out and tossing it. If you'd ask more questions you'd understand more, hehe. :) That is why my archive isn't long-lasting....but, it is still called an archive. I'm not kidding myself of anything.

Maine Life

Maine Life

I have also been thinking about upgrading from a Kodak zi8, especially for low-light applications. Still fearful of AVCHD processing. The HV40 still makes sense, I think.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.