Greg Meola

Greg Meola

Looking for my first video camera. I have a doc concept in mind. Yes, I tend to jump in with both feet. No, I'm not interested in a DSLR for video. What do you folks think about this camera (pre-release)?

editnelson

editnelson

Check out my videos I used both cameras I own a canon XF 100 and canon 60D

Paulo Teixeira

Paulo Teixeira

Too similar to the HMC40 for well over a grand more.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

i think it goes well beyond that camera.

Paulo Teixeira

Paulo Teixeira

The HMC40 has 3 native chips verses 1 on the Canon. When there's only 1 chip having a lot of pixels is essential but because Canon wanted to make it have good low light capabilities, there's just enough for HD.

The HMC40 records to H.264 at 420 while the Canon records to MPEG2 at 422. I'd say the 3 chips of the HMC40 cancels out the 422 advantage of the Canon.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the HMC40 is sharper in good lighting and as far as low light capabilities are concerned, the Canon might be a little better.

Again it's way too similar for being well over $1,000 more. For that much more money, I'd expect the picture quality to be significantly better.

Snowblindfilm

Snowblindfilm Plus

Yes it is much better. I tried HMC150, which I did not like and returned it. I shot with JVC HM-100 paired up with EX1. All I can say that XF100 is on parr or better then EX1, and beats HMC40 hands down. When you buy XLR module, the price difference is only $650, which is well worth the results.

Paulo Teixeira

Paulo Teixeira

Currently at B&H, the HMC40 with the XLR attachment is $1960 while the XF100 is $3,000. The difference was higher when I wrote that.

In low light, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the XF100 is a bit better, but in good lighting, I wouldn't say that. In what way can the XF100 be better than the EX1 besides having infinite times better ergonomics? I think that's pushing it a bit.

DSLR Films Galore

DSLR Films Galore

"XF100 is on parr or better then EX1."

I think that assessment is open to challenge.

The ex1 has far better IQ, better audio controls, stronger pre-amps, a FAR better lens, better function set, variable frame rates 1-60fps, interval recording, ergonomics, S&Q, 1/2" sensor (yes it matters), superior signal-to-noise ratio, HDMI out, HD-SDI out, and there's no comparison by a LONG shot concerning the nice EX1 bokeh and the almost bizarre defocused smear of the Canon (see Bloom's assessment here on vimeo). I can do this all day.

But hey, the XF100 is actually a really good camera. In fact, it's the best $3k camera I know of. It's just not better than an EX1/EX1r, and that's OK. It's less than half the price!

DSLR Films Galore

DSLR Films Galore

I should also note the XF accepts CF cards, which is awesome. Wish my EX1r did.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

look at the audio differences. dual cf cards. sd card. hdmi. come on!

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

So buy it... You don't need us to sway you.

Andy Solaini

Andy Solaini

If it's of any help I have an XF300 which is outstanding. The guy at the shop (who is a video production person) said the XF100 did 95% of what the XF300 does image quality wise but in a smaller package.
I'm sure the XF100 will be a VERY nice camera.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

Sweet! Can't wait. Thanks Guys.

Raoul THEEUWS

Raoul THEEUWS

I think that it would be WISE to continue to compare this excellent camera with others in order to realise a sound and justified selection in order to find the camera:
- suited to your personal needs and
- adapted to your budget!

Just to avoid a pure subjective and rapid (!) choice!

Danny Harmon

Danny Harmon

Don't know what kind of documentary you're aiming at here, but I'm involved in the same thing. The Canon XF100 looks attractive to me as well, but I'm also looking hard at the Sony NX5U, which is about $1000 more @ $3999.
I shoot outdoor videos and have loved my SONY PD-150 for years but the old girl is giving up the ghost. Have looked at the Panasonics, but don't like the cost of P2 cards. Maybe cards won't be an issue. Not sure yet.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

Nice camera. decisions, decisions!

Raoul THEEUWS

Raoul THEEUWS

And ... should we not have a look (sic!) at the new Canon XA 10?
Super compact with numerous features?

You never know!

???

Tarbox

Tarbox

I'm buying 3 XF100's for my company in London, I'd prefer XF300's but twice the price. 50mbps camera's which are now BBC standard for digital film. BBC brought 60 XF300's and the XF100 are the best I can get for the money... Canon's all interchangeable lenses batteries. Also like the design, Canon seem to understand that the camera's need to be robust. Sony stuff falls apart quite alot. Sony just don't have the camera in this development cycle. Sure they'll come back. Don't bother with the XF105, it's just studio spec

Jim Truscott

Jim Truscott

Just got the Xf100 myself and was going to edit using powerdirector9 but find it doesn't work with the Xf100's mxf format . The Xf100 is great but i'm worried about its limited editor support...i'm looking for an editor. Was wondering what you use or might recommend.
I'm told premiere pro5 crashes with mxf format but is fixed in 5.5 thought sony vagas pro10 could work...maybe needed a canon plugin?. Any ideas there?

Dutch

Dutch

Yes 5.5 is stable, but be sure to have over 12 gigs of ram or GPU acceleration otherwise it will still crash.

Gustavo Antonio Ceratti Silva

Gustavo Antonio Ceratti Silva Plus

Sony HVR-NX5U is far behind Canon XF 100, XF 105 and even XA 10. I just can't wait to buy mine. And I agree with you Tarbox, XF 105 is a studio camera. I prefer the 100.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

I've got it! It's amazing. Now to figure it all out. I'll post something soon.

Tarbox

Tarbox

Link on UK Canon site for editing software. Doesn't on FCP Express...

So Apple Final Cut Pro 6.0.3 or later
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 or later
Avid NewsCutter 8.0.5 or later

owen g

owen g Plus

Anyone tell me what the best wide angle adapter is for the xf100?

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

i think canon makes only 1 type. it's on the canon site under accessories (for xf 100) or on B+H photo, xf100 accessories

hardahmed

hardahmed

I'm looking to buy a Canon XF100 but need to be sure of one thing. Does anyone who has a Canon XF-100/105 confirm or check that the uncompressed output through HDMI or HD/SDI is 4:2:2 10-bit colorspace? Coz i cannot find anywhere where they mention a 10-bit uncompressed output. It could be outputting a 4:2:2 uncompressed 8-bit signal, and the reason i'm asking this is to record this output to a Hyperdeck Shuttle or Atomos recorder in 10-bit. And how much of a difference is between 8bit and 10bit?

Ryan Babb

Ryan Babb

I'm pretty sure it outputs 4:2:2 uncompressed 8-bit. At least that is what my KONA card registers it as when I hook up the XF100 via HDMI

DSLR-VideoGolfo

DSLR-VideoGolfo

Amazing little cam! MPEG2 at 50MB/s and 4:2:2 color space, a dream to edit and color grade, plus XLR output. All you need to shoot quality enough for broadcast in a very handy size. Yes it's true that with 1 only chip it's not great in low light but not bad either. All and all I'm very happy with it, you can't go wrong with this little geme.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

"Yes it's true that with 1 only chip it's not great in low light but not bad either."

Please let's not spread this kind of misinformation around. It just confuses people.

photoemy

photoemy Plus

I recently purchased this camera.Great with good lighting. I'm very disappointed on low lighting conditions, there is a lot of noise.

Felipe Rabanal

Felipe Rabanal

Can you upload some videos in low light conditions and good light as well? It would be very useful to us to have your images...I´m looking for a camera like this...It wold be nice to have the xf300 but i don´t have the money. Thanks!!!

Food Biker

Food Biker Plus

Anyone else want to weigh in, as it' now 2012? Looking seriously at a used NX5U, a used XA10, and a new XF100 myself. Is 4:2:2 really the bare minimum needed for network broadcast? I want to add to my HDSLR workflow (5DMkII, 60D)...

Dutch

Dutch

Plenty of TV show shoot from time to time on non 4:2:2 DSLR camera's. Really what you are getting is a 50mbps codec which allows for smoother action and more detail.

So the XA10 is cheaper with extremely condensed features, the NX5U is better in low light and has the easiest to use features, the xf100 is crisper and handles action better.

DSLR Films Galore

DSLR Films Galore

Food biker--DSLR's are great as add-ons to a workflow, (like adding on a pair of gopros). I'm guessing you're a photog who gravitated to video via DSLRs (I am). My advice is that you dump one of your dslrs and relegate the other to B roll. With its unusable audio, moire, jello and total lack of pro functions, that's where the dslr belongs. It's just a shallow DOF gadget. Nothing more. An XF100/60D combo sounds great to me. AND CHEAP!!!! (More $ for what matters most--audio.)

Anthony Kim

Anthony Kim

So is the XF100 good with fast moving targets because I'll be filming a lot of bboying and other dancing. Also how does it stand up in dim lighting? From the general consensus it seems like it fairs poorly in low light.

Dutch

Dutch

Yes it is very good with fast moving target, but it does have a lot of trouble with low light, but a 3 1/3" CMOS isn't that much better. Really you would need to step up closer to 1/2" sensor for any noticeable change.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

check out canon xf100/xf105 group on facebook. lots of vids posted there.

Olivier Le Blanc

Olivier Le Blanc Plus

I have an XA-10 and I understand it has most of the same core functions of the xf-100 and I found that when moving the camera rapidly and especially if you jerk-move it then there is quite a bit of distortion in the image, but it is less bad than with DSLRs.

Dutch

Dutch

The XA-10 has only optical image stabilization, and a 24mbps codec, the combination of those two things is what causes that. The xf100 has no problem with sudden movements. DSLR's have no image stabilization but they do have roughly a 50 mbps codec so they hold up better to movement, minus of course rolling shutter.

editnelson

editnelson

I have a Canon XF100 and A canon 60D I used both to do video work and they are both great. If you watch the videos on my Chanel they are all shoot with both cameras.
I sused canon Xf100 for wide shots and canon 60D for close up cinematic shots.. Visite editnelson . Com

Dutch

Dutch

My impression from owning it and several other professional series camera's is that you are definitely getting the best value with xf100.

My only real complaint is not so much it's low light performance but it's Auto Gain settings. Which immediately over compensate and ramp any dark image to a 22db usable image. If you just stick to manual gain or well lit situations there is no way to distinguish it's footage from the xf300.

Panasonic is really the only people making comparable cameras in features and price, but when you factor in a $900 P-2 card vs a $50 CF card, the price divide gets a lot larger.

Jacob Hokland

Jacob Hokland Plus

I have a Panasonic 150 HMC, and I tried the XF100. Canon wins! The colour space is much better with 4:4:2 and it shows the AVCHD limitations.

Danny Harmon

Danny Harmon

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the XF100.
So far I'm not disappointed. I absolutely LOVE the size of the device and the quality of the image.
Viewfinder could be a little larger, but it's fine.
The only real hangup is getting the MXF files into Final Cut Pro 7. Still working that one out.
Nice job again, Canon.

Greg Meola

Greg Meola

Did you download the xf plugin for fcp? open xf utility and plug in your cf card. open fcp. log and transfer. easy. it took me half a year to figure it out.

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein PRO

Anyone have actual matching shots of an XF100 and 300 side by side in the same footage? Or on the same reel?

Garry Eister

Garry Eister Plus

Has anyone here have any experience to share about projecting xf100 footage onto a theatrical movie screen? Thanks.

David Jarvis

David Jarvis

I'm looking to purchase a camera for film making purposes. I have a t3i, which fills a certain roll, but I want a dedicated video camera. I would like to know if the XF100 is good for getting that 'film look', or is it going to look like video?

Dj Dr Dee

Dj Dr Dee

Joined Vimeo today and also ordered mine today after reading all these posts. Thank you guys.

Al Bergstein

Al Bergstein PRO

Having recently bought an XF105 I was just doing an interesting test today. I was running HDMI out to a Marshall V-LCD50-HDI and notice that no matter what I do the XF105 LCD is noticeably shifted to emphazing the greens. I tried numerous CP files and none of them changed the green bias. I can look at the real scene, then at the Marshall and they match, the Canon is signficantly greener in the grasses, etc. This is not true of my 7D with the same Marshall monitor. They tend to match. Thoughts on how to make them match? Changing the CP files changes the look in both, but not for the better. (I'll also ask the XF100/300 group.

David Fukumoto

David Fukumoto

Hi I have the XF100 and 5dmk2, to convert the MXF, I had to buy pavtube, it costs 35.00 it a little funky but it's pretty fast has many output options and have to say it's the only app I've used that can export WMV for windows (I'm on Mac) that actually works.

Also, if you need to put things online it's pretty great at creating a small file at the same resolution (whatever you want that to be) about 1/2 to 3/4 the size. This would be for dailies online, at 12db and shooting at f2.6 at 1/30 that came out to about the same ASA/ISO as 3200 on my 5d and the files look pretty similar, I noticed you need to be shooting the XF100 at 50mb/s at full HD if you shoot the smaller formats it does seem noisier!

The card spanning is pretty cool if you need to shoot for a long time, the menu is a pain took me about 45 days to get used to it still throws me off, however 50mb/s is TV broadcast same as the 5d shoots if anyone is wondering.

For 3k there isn't another camera that shoots at 4.2.2 at 50mb/s. I had to buy the additional Canon wide and tele lenses for my particular needs, and they really are sharp lenses. Lastly, the wasabi batteries on amazon are great since I also bought the 100.00 battery at BH photo which is good but exactly the same run time as the 40 wasabi so buy those. Lastly, I use 600x transcend CF cards, I own 5-6 32gb they go for 150 and are rated to 90mb/s so never had a bad file but one card did go belly up.... 5yr warranty though.... Only negative is I use the same Marshall as above and I noticed I did not see the menu on my Marshall screen so I'll need to figure out if that is a user error or a Canon issue...

David Fukumoto

David Fukumoto

OOPs made an error when I reviewed my footage again, I noticed the 12db gain wasn't the same as the Canon 5d actually sort of ugly so I'd say 6db is ok that's about 1600 ISO so please forgive my comments above... please note this is a scene shot at night and under-exposed on purpose 1 stop .

David Fukumoto

David Fukumoto

Ok, does anyone have a solution to create a timecode and maybe a one pass quickly using the MXF files, Magic Bullet Grinder requires a different format and Premiere is too slow...

Preston Films

Preston Films PRO

Just pick up a gently used xf100 with an extra battery for $2100! Woohoo!

Lawrence Dortch

Lawrence Dortch Plus

Has anyone on here used the XF105 with an external recorder? If so what kind of results did you get?

Ben McGinley

Ben McGinley Plus

Just to be yet another person to make this thread redundant: The XF100 is an incredible camera for the money. I use an XF100/60D workflow through FCP 7. The footage is all beautiful, integrates and edits smoothly, and always impresses my clients. Can't recommend this camera enough.

Hooton Films

Hooton Films

Does anyone know if the HDMI output of the XF100 is high quality. i.e. could I attach a Hyperdeck and get the same quality of video that I get on the CF cards?

Jimwww

Jimwww Plus

Just got one last night - big brothers to my HF G10's. Amazing quality. My G10's are in High School and my XF100 has finished University. Manual is 182 pages. So many menus.. gonna be a while before I figure this whole thing out.

Sixth Row

Sixth Row Plus

I have been using an XF105 alongside my Canon 60D for about a year.

It's a very nice camera. It's doesn't have the filmic, bokeh-licious look of a DSLR though. This is a dedicated video camera, and a really really good one. What it DOES have is a sharp beautiful picture that holds up VERY well for colour-grading. Files are easily edited in FCP7 by directly importing them through log and capture, much quicker than converting DSLR files to Prores with third party software.

It's handling size is spot on. Not overly big and that makes doing handheld work comfortable and easy. Great for capturing sports like skateboarding and snowboarding. Crank the optical stabilizer up to max and you get shots that look like your were carrying a steady cam rig.

Negatives? Not too many come to mind. The 5D iii will be better for low light. I have noticed the gain doesn't like to be pushed too high or you will get some nasty noise. But in daylight shooting, beautiful.

Matthew Derrick

Matthew Derrick

I'm looking to get an XF100. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a difference in using the atomos ninja 2 recorder compared to using the camera alone? Can't seem to find any examples.

Many thanks

Michael

Michael Plus

hi guys
just wondered if anyone had noticed noise at 0 db with the xf100.I think many people have and some tests I`ve done bear this out. I though i`d experiment and see if I could lesson the noise so started doing tests at -3db and -6db.I think I cut the noise level down so I`ve made -3db my new 0db if you know what I mean.Maybe this is why canon have put the -db on the menu as they don`t exist on other cameras I`ve used. Just wondered if you had any experience with this problem. Or has canon just made a bad batch of xf100s and I`ve managed to get one of them.
thanks

GLENN - DARK EPIC productions

GLENN - DARK EPIC productions

I have just recently switched from the sony ex1-r to the canon x100. And very happy so far. The Ex1 was such a heavy camera with expensive parts and cards, where the canon xf for it's price is amazing! and looks basically the same to the ex1. Yes there is noise in dark environments which I use 'denoiser 2' for and that seems to clean up the video. Things blow out much easier on the canon so I shoot slightly under exposed with a variation of the BBC settings. Stabilization is incredible - matched with 'warp stabilizer' and you have a hand held steady cam. Check out some of my vids here youtube.com/watch?v=KxxIzyI0McI

Link: cinemaweddings.com.au

Cecil Thornhill

Cecil Thornhill

Re: Michael's post above, yes the XF100 has some intrinsic noise at 0db gain. See Alan Roberts paper (link posted) for the gritty details. There are a number of solutions from altering your profiles to using a de-noiser (my suggestion is a little of both). I don't find the noise too bad at up to +6dB, but YMMV. You may like Alan's custom profiles, or others that are on the web. I did some recent tests in my favorite "horrible location" for contrast and noise - a 19th century hotel/museum with huge windows and super dark furnishings for a real contrast and noise workout. I was really surprised at both the 0db and +3db/+6db response. Way better than than expected and easy to remove if needed with commercial de-noise products. Graded with FilmConvert (my fav) I am not sure I would worry. It handled the blow out well too on the windows. Final settings (how much to bump up the gain) depend on what effect you like, but even in locations like this where lighting is forbidden, I was happy.

Link: downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP034-ADD65_Canon_XF100-105.pdf

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.