Bento

Bento

I recently purchased the GoPro HD Motorsports hero for filming on my ski vacation.

Today i decided to try it out and mount it on my car and go for a spin.

When looking at the footage on a PC the sound is just dreadful, wind noise is everywhere. I used the waterproof housing and door, which supposedly should give me good engine sound with no wind sounds.

Short clip here:
vimeo.com/20794158

Any advice? I see lots of great GoPro video's shot from the outside of cars and bikes with good sound...

Thanks,

Bento

Article19

Article19 Plus

well you have a camera bolted to the side of a car, a moving car so yep, there's gonna be wind noise (although that wind noise sounds pretty weird). I don't know where the mic is on a GoPro but you need to shield it with a wind deflector.

Bento

Bento

Yeah but isn't the GoPro designed for this stuff? Eliminating wind noise so you can hear the engine. The camera is in a waterproof case aswell.

Article19

Article19 Plus

according to their website it's supposed to but that noise doesn't sound like any wind noise i've ever heard.

Bento

Bento

Yeah i thought so. I sent the video to GoPro, wonder what they will say.

Michael Hack

Michael Hack

Hey, I just used google and found this, But i have exactly the same problem, when it is mounted to my racecar... Sounds like wind noise but I had a feeling it was some kind of vibration noise...
Have you managed to figure out a solution at all or?

For reference here is a link to my footage, as you will see, exactly the same noise as yours...
youtu.be/byEDuZZI1qA

Noise starts at 0:46

Hamish Eisler

Hamish Eisler

Have the exact same issue with my GoPro HD on a race motorcycle. Seems ok at times but a lot of cut out and static, perhaps from vibration. Going to try more tape around the body and over the mic pickup tomorrow. My bike is super loud. Curious to hear what GoPro advises though.

Nate Weber

Nate Weber Plus

The specific location you mounted it really wont get much engine noise regardless. I dunno how loud you car is but the GoPro won't get much engine noise unless it has a definite roar to it.

John Micover

John Micover

Bento,

Have you tried a windscreen on the back of the non-waterproof door. I know it sounds crazy but it actually works really well. Someone did a 3 part video showing off the difference here:

1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2111576

You can also search "GoPro Windscreen" on google. Micover makes a cheap windscreen for the gopro hd.

Article19

Article19 Plus

dude, that's totally uncool man, stealth spamming!

John Micover

John Micover

I found Bentos video saw he had a need and posted a link to someone else who had a similar problem. I'm sorry you thought it was spam.

Kevan

Kevan

vimeo.com/9338138?ab @3:30 it's explained how the orange doohicky solves the problem of vibration noises. Another cheaper selfmade solution is explained as well. i'd try that one first before buying some extras.

Sunset Liquor & Lotto

Sunset Liquor & Lotto Plus

From personal experience, I've noticed that Go-Pro microphones are just generally low quality. I feel like the camera wasn't really designed with capturing good audio in mind. It kind of sucks but when you think about the purposes that it really is designed for it really kicks ass. I snowboard and I've been using a go-pro pretty much all season to film my edits and in my opinion it seems like the gopro was designed to be pretty much indestructible, and get decent shots and weird angles that you wouldn't normally film from. It does these two functions very well.

Based on that video though I would like to think that your gopro was somehow in a weird position. It sounds to me like it was either catching the wind weird or perhaps something was causing it to vibrate against the case or car. Perhaps try another test of some sort with the camera being positioned carefully. Also, take the full waterproof backing off and replace it with the other one.

vimeo.com/21784785

This edit was done with a gopro on the r5 setting with the non-waterproof backing. The wind does kind of mess up some of the audio but its not as weird sounding as the video you posted..

Bento

Bento

Wow i totally forgot about this topic. Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered the Micover (even before John posted here :-) for GoPro and ruined it when unpacking] (Im an idiot and teared of the wrong part of the adhesive) so I ordered a new one.

Haven't tried it out yet but if the weather is nice tomorrow maybe I will give it a go.

@Michael nice footage there. I used to race Go Karts and driven a TVR on the track before. I like these kind of video's.

Bento

Bento

Okay so I couldn't wait and tested it out just a few minutes ago. The audio is still bad with one exception.

Watch the video, it is divided into 4 parts with 4 different mounting places.

Any suggestions? Suggestions for exterior mounting with low windnoise yet still recording the direction I'm driving? :)

vimeo.com/25102545

Henry Flowers

Henry Flowers

I own a GoPro and really I agree that it is just for cool clips of action and not audio.

Imprezala

Imprezala

did you get a reply from go pro.. I have exactly the same problem it happens intermittently.. i tested in my quiet room.. it NOT wind noise

No Set Destination

No Set Destination

Are you guys using the old hero or the newer hero2 or is this sound issue inherent across the board with Gopro camera's? I am new here and have been considering getting the GoPro's for what I am setting out to do but this info may change that. Isn't there a jack for plugging in a external mic and if so, wouldn't plugging in a quality mic solve the problem or does my lack of knowledge show in the asking.

Sam Wall

Sam Wall

lets be honest guys the gopro is designed for action filming which in most cases you are going to get a lot of background noise, especially when you cant add any sort of filter to the built in microphone.

also when the hero is in the water proof case the sound quality will drop dramatically never mind when its strapped to the side of a car or on a motorbike.

if you watch Ken Block Gymkhana 5 and listen to the bits which are filmed with the gopro you can here the difference in quality, the only time it sounds semi decent is when its mounted on his helmet or stationary on one of the cones.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.