H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

Hi there, I'm finally moving from you big, beautiful hdv camera with a fixed lens to a canon 60d dslr and have taken note that lenses are pivotal to getting the look you want with interchangeable lens cameras.

I'm looking for guidance as to if these lenses would complement each other in the way that I am expecting them to or if I should adjust my strategy in any way.

I am a narrative filmmaker who wants operate in low light situations a lot in the future.

Right now I am planning on buying these three lenses in addition to the 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, on a budget of $1000:

Wide angle: Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8

Normal (for my cropped sensor camera): Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0

Low light / Telephoto workhorse (for my cropped sensor camera): Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.4

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

The samyang 14mm f2.8 is okay, but I rarely pull that out for anything on my crop sensor body (sometimes for my full frame body. Maybe consider the samyang/rokinon 24mm f1.4 instead.

I use the Canon 24mm f1.4 as the go-to lens on my crop sensor body. (That's out of your budget, which is why the samyang/ rokinon version might work for you). And I recommend that only because your "low light" option is essentially an 80mm lens, and if you're in a small room, that won't work.

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

Thanks for the info. I hadn't even seen these 24mm's in my 2-3 days of lens obsession.

If I were to go with a 23mm samyang then I'd have to "move down" on one of my other lenses to compensate for the price.

The most logical choice would be to go with a 50mm 1.8 (nifty fifty) instead of a 1.4: any objection there? is the image/build quality close enough between the two to get away with that downgrade?

If it's all the same to you may I ask why you rarely ever use your samyang 14mm on your crop bodies?

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

Better question. If I were to get a rokinon 24mm 1.4 (which I am sure that I will now) will I even need the Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0?

since they are so close in focal length and the rokinon will have a much better fstop couldn't I just get the rokinon and the 50mm (and whip out the kit lens if even needed) and be in a pretty good place for semi-pro filmmaking?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

A lot of what I do is "run and gun" shooting. So I usually pick a lens that is a middle ground lens, or at least a lens that is not something I can only take on shot with. That's why I hardly ever use the 14mm. However, on a glidecam (or similar item), a 14mm works well on a crop body.

A 50mm 1.4 is a good lens, but I'm just not a fan of 50mm on crop bodies. So if you're going for that, just to have, I'd say get the 50mm f1.8. The f1.4 is so much better, but at least you can save some dollars on by going the 1.8. And no, you won't need to get the 35mm f2.0 if you go the 24mm route.

So for now I'd recommend the Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f1.4 (the lens goes by both brand names, but it's the same lens) and a 50mm f1.8. Those will be your indoor lenses. Then you can use those as well as your kit lenses to do outdoor shoots.

That would be good to start with I think.

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

LOL I've been wondering about the samyang/rokinon's, but couldn't find a straight answer on that on the forums/web.

You're a great help and you have a lot of nice work on your page. I know I'm getting advice I can trust.

Thanks.

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

one last thing, you really seem to dislike 50mm's on crop bodies.

Can you offer an alternative focal length in it's place for a crop body?

Do I even need an alternative prime to complement my 24mm?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I dislike the 50mm on a crop - but that's just a personal preference. Some people like it because 50mm (on a full frame) is, as I've been told in class, is the range of the human eye. I, personally, prefer the approximate 35mm range on a full frame (or 24mm on a crop body). That's the default focal range for most of my videos.

A 50mm becomes an 80mm on a crop, and since I usually use the primes indoors, 80mm in a standard room means I'm on the other side of the room. I like to be able to get closer. For wide angles I do have the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f2.8 as well as the Canon 16-35mm f2.8L. Because of the latter lens' zoom and relative close focal range, I typically use that over the Rokinon.

Now if you're getting the 24mm prime, I would say to go ahead and pick up the 50mm prime as well, just not the 30mm or 35mm UNLESS you want a closer prime to the approximate 50mm focal range. For me, having another prime so close to either 24mm or 50mm is somewhat silly since for that small difference, I should be able to walk closer or away. But the difference between a 24mm and a 50mm (on a crop body) may be enough, depending on what obstructions are in a room, to get the 50mm. On the crop body, I just went up to the 70mm or 85mm range, and that's for large rooms or auditoriums, etc.

So on a crop body, I'll bring these lenses on a shoot:
24mm f1.4 (go-to lens)
16-35mm f2.8 (scene establishing, or extreme distorted close-up)
70-200mm f2.8 (telephoto close-up for emotions, good bokeh)

If on a shoot with 2 or more crop bodies, one will always have the 70-200mm or like a 100mm prime, and will always be focused on faces. The other body will have the 24mm or 16-35mm lens on it for the wide-out shot.

And when you switch to full-frame, well, your lenses will be different, but that's a whole other topic.

Cheers!

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

You advice has been invaluable, Mr. Wolfe.

I decided to go with a 24 and a 85

both Rokinons (I'm not afraid of 3rd party manufactures, hopefully my bravery will be rewarded)

I'll have to keep saving to get a wide prime for now, and use my 18-135 as my wide lens while keeping in mind its sub-par low light capabilities.

Thanks-a-ton, again.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.