Bryan Bobo

Bryan Bobo

Hello,

I have always read how 24 fps is a standard but whenever I shoot in 24 fps with my Canon 60D is seems like there is so much motion blur its barely watchable? Typically when I'm shooting 24 fps I am at a 1/50 shutter speed. Am I missing something? Does anyone else notice this?

Bryan

JEL

JEL

IMO the only advantage of 24fps is that you can shoot in lower light.

Bryan Bobo

Bryan Bobo

That's a very good point. Do you notice a lot of motion blur when you shoot at 24fps? Do you keep your shutter at 1/50

JEL

JEL

When things move fast enough, sure ;)

The video-codec settings the Canon 60D uses (which you can't change) may be part of your issue (More info on this at the link I provided. The whole thing is worth reading even though it doesn't only talk about the 60D)

No, I'm not religious about the shutter-speed. I adjust it to get the image-look I want. Mostly this is determined by the light-source. For example, if there's a tv-screen or pc-monitor in the shot, or LED displays, or certain CFLs, then I find the image looks more natural and pleasing when the shutter fits the frequency of these things. Usually, in my experience, this happens at 1/50 or 1/60 or lower, so that tends to be what I use most often.
I do tend to avoid very fast shutter-speeds though, because I dislike the rolling-shutter look like the plague (who-ever invented that thing should be fried and roasted over a slow-burning fire)

Link: learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/ipp_ipb_all_i_compare.htmlp

Kenneth WF Zawlacki

Kenneth WF Zawlacki

Well, to get rid of that motion blur, just jack the shutter speed up, and also either bring the aperture down or the ISO up.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.