Iain Gayley

Iain Gayley

I'm looking to buy my first real "expensive" lens and I want to make sure I get the right one. My budget is around $1000 and I'm cool with refurbished. I was looking at the Canon 24-105mm but the f/4 is a little iffy for me. I'm looking to film concerts, cars, snowboarding, skateboarding, and just all around progress. So I want a good all around zoom lens that still has some wide angle so that I can use it with a Glidecam. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I would forgo the f/4. Unless you are shooting a lot of outdoors in daylight, your f/4 on your T2i just won't be enough in too many situations (unless properly lit of course).

Iain Gayley

Iain Gayley

What would you recommend instead for under $1000ish?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

That really depends on your shooting style and what focal range you need to cover.

(I prefer primes to zoom lenses. But I won't go anywhere without my 70-200mm f2.8.)

Maybe the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 ($1200 cheaper than the Canon L-brand)...

Maybe a Rokinon 24mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4...

Also, you may want to consider getting lenses that all have the same filter thread size, for sharing filters, polarizers, etc.

Donald Ong

Donald Ong Plus

On crop sensor you wouldn't want the 24-105.
F/4 is inadequate and 24mm becomes 38mm which is hardly wide enough.
Don't get me wrong, i just got the 24-105 and it's great, but not a lens for crop. Get a 17-55 f/2.8 instead.

Candle Video

Candle Video

I have a Canon 24-105mm L and it’s my favorite lens for outdoor video and stills. I imagine it would be perfect for skateboarding and possibly snowboarding if you can get relatively close to the subject. I also suspect you could get good results at a concert if the band is well lighted with spots and PAR cans. (Not for the audience though)

For me personally, the 24-105mm isn’t wide or bright enough for video of the kids. I usually switch to my Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. The video shot on my Canon 60d with the Sigma 17-50mm is beautiful. I shoot everything handheld and my technique isn’t good enough to use a non-stabilized lens. The new Tamron 24-70 VC could be a good alternative but it would bust your budget…

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.