Joe Bloom

Joe Bloom

Hoping those with better, more extensive knowledge can help on this subject that although has been massively debated I'm struggling to find a definitive answer.

I'll be looking to get myself a DSLR very soon, and I've narrowed it down to Canon 550d, 600d, or 650d. All of which have excellent video capabilities (its main use for me of course), however other than price and a swivel/pull out viewfinder on the 650d it is difficult to identify what might be best for me. The price isn't such a huge issue between these as they are all fairly close, unless of course saving a few bucks on a cheaper camera makes sense and doesn't remove any important features from me/the kit.

Please share your thoughts, my best thought right now is that since the 650d is a pretty fresh camera at the moment, it might in the long run have a better lifespan in terms of usability for me as I progress as a filmmaker?

Any help appreciated!

Joe.

Pawel

Pawel

I will take 650d, the newest. I think that people from Canon know what they do. I've got 450d and i'm thinking about 7d, if you have got more money, it's the best choice

Khan Samiuzzaman

Khan Samiuzzaman

I just got a 600D and I do emphasize more on video, it has the 3x HD zoom function, and the best reason for me over the 650D is that the 600D can support Magic Lantern... a firmware that has a lot of magical capabilities and even though the 650D has a higher ISO limit, the magic lantern can be used to achieve better ISO settings in the 600D. So yes there u go the 600D for me.
Hope it helps! :)

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

If you bring Magic Lantern into the equation, then it works better, does more, on the 550D than the 600D. Consider the 60D too. It has the articulated LCD screen, a fuller set of control buttons and works extremely well with ML.

mgnovelty

mgnovelty

I regularly shoot with both a 550d and a 600d. They have essentially the same sensor, so your quality coming out of the camera shouldn't be different. If you are just starting out, my advice is to go with the cheapest body you can (the 550d can be the cheapest as it is the one being replaced by the 600d) and save your money for good glass. Most people who are serious about shooting video on these cameras throw that kit lens in the bag and never use it. Invest in good lenses that have constant, not variable aperture and you can shoot beautiful stuff on fairly cheap gear.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.