Paul

Paul Plus

Hello,

I am involved in the website above, which is about E-Safety for teenagers with disabilities. It has been highlighted to me that the Vimeo-hosted videos are not accessible with a screen reader because the buttons are not labelled. As far as I can see, this applies to both the Flash and HTML versions of the Vimeo player.

Apparently, YouTube have labelled their player buttons, so blind people using screen readers can 'hear' what button they are about to 'press' on the player. I am now being asked to move the videos to YouTube.

Can this be fixed, as it seems important and fairly trivial to achieve?

Thank you,
Mark

Link: em-esafetyproject.co.uk/students/

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hi Paul. We're actually underway with a major remake of out player code right now and our developers are spending some time looking into making accessibility better in our next version.

Paul

Paul Plus

Hello Soxiam. Any idea when this update might be released? Thanks.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey Paul,

We don't have ETA's on feature releases, but this will be coming VERY soon!

Diversa

Diversa

We are looking forward to this feature!

We also need a more accessible player. And was starting to look for an other platform for exactly that reason.

Hope soon to see some proper labeled player controls! Would be nice to stay Vimeo… But we have to consider our screenreader users..

Everything best, Lars Holm Sørensen

Link: diversa.dk

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your concern! Our next player will have overall greater accessibility and labeled player controls are part of the plan.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.