Chace Strickland

Chace Strickland PRO

Hey Vimeo, thxs for reading this....after i build a portfolio of vids (:30 sec tv commercials in my case), I'd love a button in SETTINGS that allows the vids to play one right after another (call it a CHASE FEATURE)....also, it would be great if the vids would start playing automatically when the viewer (clients in my case) load/click on the link. If you create this, I can stop paying WireDrive $200 a month for my sales team to build reels (of specific combinations of tv commercials which they do all day). There are 100's of film co's that are in the same boat as me. U do the math.....In short, I'd like this link to play automatically and play all spots in this portfolio. Thxs! IT'S JUST A BUTTON GUYS, C'MOM! LOL vimeopro.com/user2189635/chace-strickland

Link: vimeopro.com/user2189635/chace-strickland

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chace,

We have other features that can play videos back to back, like Couch Mode and Hubnut: vimeo.com/couchmode / vimeo.com/tools/widget/hubnut

We don't like forcing videos to auto-play, especially on clip pages, or playing other videos in the same page where another video began. I'm not sure this is something we'll build into a individual clip pages settings, but again it's something we support with those other features.

Chace Strickland

Chace Strickland PRO

couch mode requires the viewer to hit a button which doesn't work for us, we would prefer to not have to explain to our clients why they have to hit a button....and hubnut requires embedding a different link.

you're not 'forcing' videos into auto-play when it's a button that the creator chooses, right? lol....it's an option, like picking type colors.

Chace Strickland

Chace Strickland PRO

btw there are hundreds of television commercial production co's worldwide that pay WireDrive or Simian $200/month for the ability to create reels and send them out. We don't have many other choices. You guys have 'portfolios' which is great (I can build reels here!) and I can simply send out the link, BUT if the vids (:30 sec commercials in my case) won't auto-start and auto-play, it's a fail for us. You are literally a button-option away my friend. You guys offer tons of options right? It's simply another option lol.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chace,

Sorry, I guess I'm not seeing it that way. You're talking about making videos in a clip page simply switch to the next one, right? That's probably not something we'll allow.

With Couch Mode, you can simply link your clients to it directly so they wouldn't really know the difference.

See this Couch Mode link where it's simply pulling videos from my channel: channel

Hubnut is effectively the same except you're switching out your normal embed code for Hubnut's.

brainout

brainout PRO

Great suggestion, Matt. Thank you. Now I know how to enable folks to watch within Vimeo, just my channels (etc), without having to click the play button each time. That matters. Still, it would be nice if the play buttons, etc. weren't so big. Then again, they disappear quickly. Thank you again!

brainout

brainout PRO

I can't reply a second time to Matt, so I'm replying to myself. Is there a way to create a couchmode command for portfolios? I tried creating couchmode for portfolios but it doesn't work no matter what variation I used, like video(dot)com/couchmode/porfolios (or portfolio)/portfolio number or name. I can do it for albums, for videos and channels, but not for portfolios?

Chace Strickland

Chace Strickland PRO

Matt, thxs for the reply. My industry has adopted Wiredrive and Simian as the standard right now. My clients, ad agencies, have been educated to receive an EMAIL LINK which they click on...and it starts in motion a REEL of typically 5-7 TV commercials. They simply sit back and watch the spots play in succession. Easy right? The INTERFACE (what opens on the desk) looks pretty similar to what Vimeo allows me to create...here it is vimeopro.com/user2189635/chace-strickland This is a very elegant, simple design and something my clients have seen before, know how to use. It doesn't go full-screen (they could care less about it going full-screen) and this link doesn't have that huge obtrusive control panel (like couch mode). In short, you've created a very elegant display for my work....I LOVE IT! I simply want it to play one right after another (and start automatically like Wiredrive's do)...that's all. I can't use couch mode because frankly, it's ugly. (sorry, no disrespect).

Chace Strickland

Chace Strickland PRO

lastly, and I'm not yelling ;) you guys make a point of saying "settings offer Full-Control, blah, blah..." well, they really don't. Again, I'm just asking for another checkbox, my gosh, u guys offer a ton of options, what's the big deal? Everybody doesn't have to use it, right? but maybe, just maybe, you've opened up a new market....production co's, sales reps, directors, director's of photography, crew people, ad agencies showing their work....ALL are used to the WireDrive/Simian model....all paying Wiredrive $200 a month. Isn't it worth adding a button/option instead of trying to get us all to use Couch Mode or Hubnut? btw, there is no Couch Mode outta the portfolio, right? even if i wanted to copy and paste that link...?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chace,

This really is more than just "adding a link" or "option" – you're talking about taking a static page and turning it into a giant player – those two things don't really mesh.

We have a embedded player and a standalone section of the site that does just this. While I agree we could make it easier to launch the playlist player (couchmode) out of static pages, I don't think we'll change the nature of a page itself (to display the videos belonging to an account in a list) so that it can also play them, that is what the individual video pages are for.

P.S. You can create albums, channels, or groups and link your clients to the Couch Mode versions of those pages, or use them to create the Hubnut widget.

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

I also found this thread and I too find the lack of a play one after the other mode more than just a terrible and ridiculous oversight, we can only assume that this omission is more a political one to not tread on the toes of companies like WireDrive?
I mean we make short programmes where its a logical requirement to play one after the after.
I find Vimeo's excuses tiresome and without merit. Just give us the option instead of telling PRO users all the parameters are definable. You have NO excuse for this...??!!!

Chace Strickland

Chace Strickland PRO

no worries Matt. Lol, u can stop with the widgets and couch modes. It doesn't work for us. We need an elegant simple method to share our reels. You're close! but not there. Thxs again.

>>Wiredrive specializes in workflows around review and approval and custom video and other rich media presentations. They are perfect for companies that value reliability, performance, customer service, ease of adoption, a beautiful and user-friendly interface and a proven track record on all these points. Our network, client base and service stands apart from other options. We are used by more agencies, production companies and post houses than all the direct alternatives combined.

JACKKNIFE PICTURES

JACKKNIFE PICTURES Plus

Hi Matt, I found this thread and would like to second Chase's efforts to add the option of a free playing list of videos when sent as a portfolio. It would be an elegant and amazingly simple solution to displaying a portfolio to clients once the link has been clicked. Maybe you could pass this along to someone else who may find the request to have a more manageable solution. And I also agree that couch mode is a bit too awkward for my liking.

Best,
Will

JACKKNIFE PICTURES

JACKKNIFE PICTURES Plus

Hey Matt, one other thing, I would gladly go pro if the features were there. Then I think you could tip the scales and get more true pro members. "Vimeo PRO is the best video solution for creative professionals. Create rich portfolios of your work, customize your player with your branding, and play your videos in full HD on every device. At $199.00/year, it's the most affordable way to professionally showcase your work. It is, without exaggeration, the best service in the Universe. Seriously, check around the Universe." For Vimeo Pro, the price is great but Simian and Wiredrive are currently the best solutions for creative professionals.

Best,
Will

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

I also found this thread and I too find the lack of a play one after the other mode more than just a terrible and ridiculous oversight, we can only assume that this omission is more a political one to not tread on the toes of companies like WireDrive?

I mean we make short programmes where its a logical requirement to play one after the after.

I find Vimeo's excuses tiresome and without merit. Just give us the option instead of telling PRO users all the parameters are definable. You have NO excuse for this...??!!!

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

And couch mode, besides looking awful, is far from being the streamlined solution everyone here is looking for...

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

All we want is an invisible cursor to press the button for the next film, instead of having to expect someone to do it by hand. That's not hard... and why should it be "not something we'll allow" or "you're talking about taking a static page and turning it into a giant player". No we're not...

Picture a Washing Machine where you have to manually press a button for each stage of the wash cycle, i.e. fill washing machine with hot water - stop - press button - rinse detergent from tray - stop - press button - rotate the drum back and forth - stop - press button.... you get the picture.

this is exactly WHAT programming and computers were designed to do. They LIVE for it!!! Please set them FREEEEEE

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

Sorry, but I'm not clear on where or how you think this feature would appear? A video's page is just that, a page that belongs to one video. We wouldn't automatically change the page and press play on behalf of a user. This really is what Couch Mode and the Hubnut widget are for.

You can also launch Couch Mode from any Album, Group, or Channel page to start the continuous playback.

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

Hi,

Let me explain. The portfolios have a cool look to them, more so than couch mode or anything else.

There should be an option in the setup page so when someone hits play on the first video, it then plays ALL the videos you have selected when you crafted a portfolio, in that order, one after the other.

Its not rocket science, just a cool clever option that is simply not available.

This then turns Vimeo into a proper showreel. Anyone in the industry of commercials and reels and reps etc would tell you the importance of choosing which of the spots play and in which order. Showreels cater to different clients. So for example you might want a reel that plays your 5 best comedy spots in a particular order that you choose in setup. A viewer gets sent a link, they hit play, and that's it. They see 5 separate spots one after the other.

They don't need any buttons or controls to convolute their viewing experience.

That is what everyone in this thread is talking about.

Link: vimeopro.com/anthonyatanasio/showreel2014

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

And when the blurb says something about all the options are definable, they really aren't.

But they really should be in my opinion.

Then reps and agencies could use Vimeo instead of WireDrive which costs about 20 times the price!!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Unfortunately Vimeo becoming a showreel isn't the most common use-case for our community – that's why we offer other features outside the normal design of the site to accommodate these needs without interfering with the normal design and function of Vimeo.com proper.

Again, I highly doubt we'd turn a video's page into something that automatically advances to another video. This may be an option for portfolios in the future, but for now we believe Couch Mode meets this need.

Atanasio + Martinez

Atanasio + Martinez PRO

Okay Matt.

Not to put too fine a point on this the main difference here is an option to "string" together a series of one's films that can be played as a "reel". Having worked in both advertising and as a director trying to move into Hollywood, I can assure you that benefits of being able to send a link to an interested party whereby he/she can was a predetermined selection of your work (be it spots, music videos, or short films) sequenced one after the other is an extremely useful function.

Plus as a PRO user its should almost be an option without having to beg for it. Take a look at what WireDrive offer their clients.

It's exactly what I'm talking about.

A simple elegant window. One button play. Stoppable at any time. Play a predetermined sequence of your work. Very simple. Couch mode just looks and feel clumsy by comparison.

This is about creative users who want to share more than just one thing. A "showcase" of their work.

Nuff Said.
Link: wiredrive.com

Whitehouse Post

Whitehouse Post PRO

Hiya—in the same boat over here.

Re: Hubnut—Would love to see some font choices and arrow options to allow viewers to click through the reels without having to jump out of them, as well as (and more importantly) the ability to search My Videos by descriptions and not just titles, as this is imperative to producers making reels by director, production company, keywords, agency, etc.

Explored Hubnut and will definitely continue to play around with it, but when I searched for Couch Mode in the Help section, I only get a description and no indication of how one might set up a stream to be viewed there. Might be helpful to have in the FAQ.

Also unclear whether either/both options allow for sharing of reels made of or containing private videos, as that would also be a key factor in this toolset.

Thanks so much guys!

Whitehouse Post

Whitehouse Post PRO

Honestly though—take a look at production companies, editing companies, agencies—any one of those searches will offer up a slew of companies around the world, most of whom are paying a lot for the service.

Might be worth investigating.

ART BY CHANCE

ART BY CHANCE PRO

Hello everyone! This is Cagil from Art By Chance working as Project Coordination Assistant.
Art by Chance Film Festival collects amazingly diverse ultra short films from all around the world. Before long, internationally selected fascinating movies pop into your lives suddenly in subways, airports, shopping malls, etc reaching more than 20 countries / 200 cities and 1.5 billion worldwide.
Theme for this year is Discover. Art By Chance sets out to celebrate the act of discovery in all its forms, from people to places to ideas this year. We would greatly appreciate it if you kindly support us and spread the word. Get going! We are waiting for your films! You might win a round flight ticket to anywhere in the world by the courtesy of our global sponsor Turkish Airlines. For more information about the festival, please visit artbychance.com
Our participation video: vimeo.com/105332631
Kindest regards,
Cagil Ozdemir
Project Coordination Assistant

Link: artbychance.com

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.