Rhialto

Rhialto

I asked about this 2 years ago but now I see the player is also available in HTML5 which is a requirement for stereoscopic playback, so I thought, why not ask if there is any development on this subject.

Have you began working on something quietly or you have no intention at all to offer this?

Regards

gl.tter

gl.tter

Would also really like to see a YouTube style stereo player.

BTW, HTML5 is only a requirement for Nvidia 3D Vision playback. The other types, like for passive 3D monitors (interlaced) or Anaglyph (red/blue etc. glasses) actually require real-time image layout and/or compositing from the full colour views. I once tried to code that in raw HTML5 pixel manipulation code, but it was way too slow for real-time. So what you really need is some faster/native code, ideally using GPU acceleration where available. (I've written this code for my stereoscopic video processing plugin LumaChroma3D (unreleased): gl.tter.org/LumaChroma3D).

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry guys, at this time we are not working on 3D playback, but I agree it would be awesome.

gl.tter

gl.tter

Hey Matt, can you let us in on the thinking at Vimeo about stereo? It's fashionable to attack it lately, but there is some really interesting footage out there (I shoot my own too). Are you open to doing a stereo player, or is it not likely in the future?

xRez Studio

xRez Studio Plus

I am really sorry to hear there are no plans to support 3D. It is pretty important in my work. I wish you would reconsider.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

It's not that we're against it, we simply have other priorities at this time regarding our player, like improving accessibility, playback quality and reliability, sharing functions, etc.

3D support would be awesome, but we have some core functions of our player to make better first.

That said, uploading classic 3D videos (red & blue) should still work as we don't shift or change the color of your video.

gl.tter

gl.tter

Right, but there are downside to 'anaglyph' (red/blue) videos:

- the red/blue colours are fixed and can't be changed for other popular glasses colours (eg. blue/yellow).
- quality is poor as video chroma (colour) resolution is only 1/4 of the resolution of the video. The results are blurry and the 3D effect is compromised.

A proper 3D player takes full-colour images, and creates the coloured-glasses version on the fly. This avoids the resolution loss and allows it to work for any type of glasses. or other 3D displays. It's the only right way to do it.

Gary McVey

Gary McVey

Please let me join in and gently urge the staff to reconsider. Vimeo's the best-looking video upload platform on the web; it ought to have a stereoscopic option. Yes, it's true, 3D hasn't taken off like sound films in 1927, but on the other hand, it's not 1954 either; it's become a minority interest but this time it won't die, since the theater$ like it and it's a relatively cheap add-on for TV manufacturers.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Gary,

We definitely appreciate the medium, and agree it would be cool, but right now we have other priorities to focus on. Maybe sometime in the future!

Chris Courtois

Chris Courtois

"That said, uploading classic 3D videos (red & blue) should still work as we don't shift or change the color of your video."

Red&blue is a dead 3D technology. Like Gary says above 3D won't die this time, in fact it will regain traction amongst the general populous as marketing veers away from its horrendous "gimmickification" of 3D, which itself has caused more damage. The newer technologies alone win. Not to mention stereoscopic is an included feature with ALL newest television sets. LG is in fact throwing in Cinema 3D on everything. It'll be that or shutter, without add-ons aside glasses.

All my content is stereoscopic. 100% of it. If a red/blue format were no problem I would not be using YouTube. We have far more sophisticated displays now all capable of at least full color, no aberration, low crosstalk 3D.

PS: and 1 year till full blown VR enters the market. VR is inherently stereoscpic, which means even more stereo content.

FX Mind

FX Mind Plus

Seeing as this topic has not been ventured for awhile, I wanted to see if Vimeo has any word on the Steroescopic support? I would be great to have options for uploading stereo footage and multiple ways to view it.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.