Chris Blundell

Chris Blundell

With the new Video On demand feature, is there a way of having the buyer become a member of Vimeo AFTER purchasing the video. If the first thing you see is a 'join us' screen, then it's a little off putting to people who are not using vimeo and they will be more likely to not complete the sale.
If they are taken straight to payment and you complete the transaction first, then the sale has already been completed and then afterwards they can add a password to the email address they just gave and continue to their purchase. The more clicks that a user has to complete the purchase, the more likely they are to not complete it. Asking a user to register their details aftr purchase is much much more user friendly.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chris,

Right now we need users to have Vimeo accounts to purchase VOD videos. Having viewers create a Vimeo account upfront makes it pretty clear that it is required versus having them make one afterwards which can lead to all types of support problems for our community team if the user tries to ditch the process.

While your idea does make sense from a UX perspective, it seems like it would cause more confusion for users since ultimately we need them to have an account no matter what.

Chris Blundell

Chris Blundell

Hi Matt, thanks for the reply. Would you not be able to do what the Humble Bundle system does (probably one of the simplest sales platforms) and register a temporary account according to their email address that they will provide during the transaction (i.e. the credit card transaction won't go through unless you provide an email address, Paypal obviously automatically has their email stored)? Therefore they are registered as a Vimeo user automatically, they have yet to provide a password. Then an auto generated password can be automatically emailed to them if they haven't already registered, if your database detects the email address has been registered can pop up asking for their password to sync to their account.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We've played around with an idea of just capturing the email address for purchase for people who have not registered with Vimeo yet and handling the full registration post purchase. There were some technical aspects of that approach we couldn't quite get it to work but we will give it some more thoughts.

Jämtfilm AB

Jämtfilm AB

I agree it might be off putting to potential consumers who are not filmmakers and possibly don't even know what Vimeo is yet.

But on the other hand, if every film available on Demand creates a new Vimeo user with every new customer, there's a possibility that customer might start browsing the genres for other films to watch as well. In those cases it's beneficial to all VOD content creators.

Couldn't there be a simple Facebook login though?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Unfortunately there's nothing simple about Facebook logins, it really messes with our system and still doesn't capture payment information.

Right now the best solution we have is to create an account for the user. It allows us to track the purchase, make it accessible to the viewer across all supported devices, and helps us provide better customer support.

SolidLine AG

SolidLine AG PRO

Hello,
we would like to provide our video tutorials for our customer without becoming a member of vimeo too.
Even a embedded link in our homepage needs a member account.

do you have another solution for us?

Best Chris

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chris,

Sorry but right now VOD viewers need to be a member of Vimeo to watch.

Position Ignition

Position Ignition PRO

I was so excited when I heard about VOD but then I realised the people must create a Vimeo account before they can complete the purchase and although I get that technically you may need to do this, I fear that it's a big barrier for people visiting our site that I'm not sure what to do.

Based in the UK - many of our visitors have not heard of Vimeo and suddenly forcing them to sign up to it before they can buy and watch the video - I've already had complaints and can completely understand from the user perspective why it's so unattractive. It adds what will appear as an irrelevant, extra step and people just give up and don't complete the purchase.

I'm a big fan of Vimeo - so from one perspective I'd happily recommend you to others but forcing them to create an account in this way will only make people resent the whole process.

Have you had any luck finding a work-around for this? I would have thought that integrating with paypal would have enabled all the tracking you need

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We have some ideas and are looking to improve on this, but right now we don't have an update :(

Mike C

Mike C

Matt, is there an update to this? The suggestions on this thread were good ones. Accepted shopping experience these days gives the customer the option to checkout as a guest or register. OR they automatically get registered during the checkout process. The days of creating an account before purchase are in the past. I wouldn't suggest Facebook, you're right, it's a messy system.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Mike,

The current system is that they either sign in or make an account during the purchase. This is the only solution we have currently.

Noam Pinchas

Noam Pinchas PRO

Well this HAD to be in your selling pitch. I just paid 200 $ for this so called great 'Pro Filmmakers" platform, just to discover, that it is based on registration (After I paid). Guys, you know you lose TONS of people and potential buyers, and so do we, the filmmakers. Please tell me you have future plans for fixing this, or otherwise I want an option for getting my money back and for de-grading.
Thanks for all the info and the active forums

CITIZEN HEARING ON DISCLOSURE

CITIZEN HEARING ON DISCLOSURE PRO

It would serve VIMEO and all the filmmakers if this process was altered.

I'm perplexed that when buyers get to the RENT button and click on in, instead of a simple "enter your payment method" notification with a login option for existing VIMEO members... purchasers are faced with ONLY the option to "Log In" or "Sign Up" for a VIMEO account in order to complete their purchase. This process is great for people who already have a VIMEO account or are already signed in... but for people who have no exposure to VIMEO as a platform, this is a huge turn off when they simply want to purchase content.

This is disappointing to me as a distributer and content creator, as a much more simple interface solution would make all the difference in sales and new user experience.

I could imagine a solution of the popup purchase window saying something to the effect of, "EXISTING VIMEO MEMBERS sign in here, or continue your purchase AS A GUEST."

Link: vimeo.com/ondemand/theanonymousinterview

The feeling that you can only RENT or BUY content if you have a VIMEO account (or sign up for a VIMEO account), greatly reduces potential sales. If buying content is based on the premise, and the extra step of becoming a VIMEO member... this seems totally counterproductive to the acquisition of sales. And the new user experience could be greatly elevated with a simple change of the purchasing popup window. At the end of the day... any purchaser would need to give you their email address and could be placed with a VIMEO account simply by completing their order with payment. So my proposal is that VIMEO rework their purchaser popup for non VIMEO members as to expedite the purchasing process. It's a real turn off for buyers who feel they are being forced to start a VIMEO account, especially when they are unfamiliar with the VIMEO system... to simply watch a film piece.

I was looking forward to a smooth and easy VOD service with the PRO account that would make it extremely easy for potential customers to purchase my content. I truly believe VIMEO is the future of VOD... but this user experience when you are simply trying to buy content is a major inhibition in my eyes. This issue should be addressed in a user friendly way to maximize distribution and sales.

I am confidant that VIMEO will address the issue, which will be a benefit to everyone.

JC Weatherby

JC Weatherby PRO

I totally agree with CITIZEN on this. As I've said in emails and elsewhere on this forum, any impediment (any "friction") to a transaction is not helpful. But I understand this is necessary; customers have to agree to a TOS before Vimeo takes payment information.

What will help is a more streamlined way to drive traffic to our content on Vimeo. More about this in a separate post.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.