Mario Forero >> Martʘʘns

Mario Forero >> Martʘʘns Plus

I'm really sad since I got those annoying messages saying that I can't follow more people.

The whole community is all about this being able to connect and follow users and 2K is not enough.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Mario,

Apologies but Vimeo is not meant to be a community in which you can "blast" members with mass messages, etc. I'm not saying you're doing that, but it's the reason we limit how many people you can follow – that and there is a technical limitation regarding keeping track of all those users.

Mario Forero >> Martʘʘns

I kind of understand what you mean and it's also a matter of keeping the servers running I imagine but it's not a matter of mass spam or blast messages it's a subscription to the community and the common interests. I think there will be a time when more people will start asking for it.
Thanks thoug

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Mario,

Remember there's a difference between people you follow and people who follow you.

Letting a user message all of the people they follow isn't really something Vimeo wants to have happen since that message is typically not personal and not something the other user would want to receive.

Messaging mutual contacts (people you follow and who follow you) at once is something we're considering.

Mario Forero >> Martʘʘns

Ok, but going on that direction aren't they different things. I mean... I can follow 10k people because I really want to know what they post and what they like on Vimeo and that doesn't has to do with message them and not massively. So you can probably think in the message side as a different section which can (and should) limit the amount of people you can reach via messages weekly ? or something like that but still increase the amount of people you can follow.

Whad do you think?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

You're right those are two separate things, but I don't think we'd separate them out. We always want people you follow to be people you can interact with, so allowing you to follow someone you can't also message seems odd.

I'm not sure if we'll increase this limit, but if we do we'll still want you to be able to interact with those users, so that's probably where the messaging of "mutual contacts" will come in to play.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.