Edmond Terakopian

Edmond Terakopian PRO

Greetings,
I'd love to see an option where the length of the film (duration) is hidden and not shown. I think often people switch off when they know a video is of a certain length, but will happily watch videos of length if they are captivating and interesting. Media Storm have done lots of research in this field and people happily watch 10-30 minute videos online as long as they are good. I think showing the length of the video is counter productive as this is the judgement factor used wether to watch or not, not the content of the video.
Can you please make this feature available??
Many Thanks,
Edmond

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Edmond,

Honestly I don't think that's something we'd do. The player features are very strictly curated to keep it fast, minimal, and functional. Removing the timecode is not something we see as a benefit to the viewer.

As a PRO member though, you can use a third party player that would support this: vimeo.com/help/faq/pro#thirdpartyplayer

Edmond Terakopian

Edmond Terakopian PRO

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. The huge benefit is that people start watching videos and not worry about a film is longer than 3-4 minutes. A lot of studies have been done into this and when someone's captivated, they watch. When they see a film is of a certain length, say nine minutes, then can be easily put off watching it. I've seen this from personal screenings for clients or colleagues. They are always astonished at the end when they ask how long something was; it always feels short as they have been captivated. The feature would simply be an on / off, so if people fee the need for the length of the film to be shown at the start, they keep it as is.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying get rid of the timecode; my suggestion is to be able to hide the time badge that shows the length of a film before play is clicked.

I really don't want to use a third party player, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Edmond

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Edmond,

I understand your reasoning, and it does make sense, but I'm not sure that's justification to implement this. We tend to fall with the viewers preference when it comes to our player, because while not everyone is an uploader, everyone on Vimeo is at least a viewer. Allowing creators to hide it from their viewers seems kind of sneaky.

Edmond Terakopian

Edmond Terakopian PRO

Hi Matt,
The point isn't to be sneaky as the viewer can stop when they want; it's not a case of forcing them. As I've mentioned and you agree, it's about perception of length of films viewable on a computer Vs quality. I'm certain people are put off longer films (say over 5 minutes) purely as they perceive it un-watcheable. During personal viewings, this is never the issue. Also, as a paying customer of Vimeo, I feel as your customers, we should have some say and be considered too!
As I say, this should be a preference that's set by the uploader/creator of the work, so those who think a time is essential to be shown can have it as such. Perhaps this could just be an option on the paid for subscriptions?
Cheers,
Edmond

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Edmond,

I hear you, but honestly I'm not sure we agree with making this an option, and while we'll always respond to customer feedback, we don't implement everything.

Right now this isn't a priority for us, but we'll keep it in mind for future iterations of the player.

ART BY CHANCE

ART BY CHANCE PRO

Hello everyone! This is Cagil from Art By Chance working as Project Coordination Assistant.
Art by Chance Film Festival collects amazingly diverse ultra short films from all around the world. Before long, internationally selected fascinating movies pop into your lives suddenly in subways, airports, shopping malls, etc reaching more than 20 countries / 200 cities and 1.5 billion worldwide.
Theme for this year is Discover. Art By Chance sets out to celebrate the act of discovery in all its forms, from people to places to ideas this year. We would greatly appreciate it if you kindly support us and spread the word. Get going! We are waiting for your films! You might win a round flight ticket to anywhere in the world by the courtesy of our global sponsor Turkish Airlines. For more information about the festival, please visit artbychance.com
Our participation video: vimeo.com/105332631
Kindest regards,
Cagil Ozdemir
Project Coordination Assistant

Link: artbychance.com

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.