Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

VOD creators can now get a .csv file containing the email addresses from those buyers/renters who have opted in. Follow the instructions in our FAQ for details:

Link: vimeo.com/s/bcd

SeanLang.com Lessons

SeanLang.com Lessons

It would be HUGELY helpful for me, and anyone else running VOD in a series format, to have the email addresses of customers who have purchased or rented. As of now, I have NO way to connect with my viewers/customers unless they decide to reach out. I have no way of asking for feedback, and of notifying customers that new content is available. This seems like such a simple thing, and I don't understand the anonimity.

I love the whole VOD setup currently, but this seems to be the one major issue. Connecting with your customers is everything. I don't want to make my customers jump through unecessary hoops in order to get their email address. It makes much more sense to collect it during the purchase process, much like BANDCAMP which I also use, and love.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

VOD buyers can opt-in to future updates from creators, but we haven't yet built the creator interface. There's a lot of work that has to be done here but rest assured we're working on it!

Link: cl.ly/image/3N0F0F0j1105

David Garrigus

David Garrigus PRO

I would like to offer VOD rent customers a coupon code discount for additional purchases. How will I know when customer emails will be available to Pro members? Or please give us a timeframe when I should be looking for the feature.

Link: wrightbro.com/

Arrowinn Entertainment

Arrowinn Entertainment

Hey Sean,
It would be cool to add a popup of some sort to collect email addresses, but in the mean time I just added a link in the description that points any customers to my opt-in form.

You can check out my page and see what I'm talking about ... The link is below.

Link: vimeo.com/ondemand/thecube

SailFlix

SailFlix PRO

We've also added a link to join our eNewsletter in our VOD Profile. But, what we really need is an autoresponder that goes to each new buyer giving them an opportunity to opt-in to our newsletter/podcast feed. Currently we do this through Feedblitz when someone buys from our own shopping cart. In the last few months, we've added over a 100 new subscribers through the autoresponder program. Request that Vimeo offer a similar option. Perhaps you could partner with Feedblitz.com and offer the autoresponder as extra option for a monthly fee.

Links: vimeo.com/ondemand/pardeyoffshoresailing, feedblitz.com/beefing-up-feedblitz-autoresponders/

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We have some plans in the works but no ETA as to when we will roll this out to VOD creators.

Faith House Pictures

Faith House Pictures

Has Vimeo built in a way for us to collect VOD customers email without having them to OPT IN??
This information is extremely important to us. This is how we can promote, market, offer deals, coupons, theatrical, events etc.. The list goes on and on. Every other commerce does this. It will make Vimeo money, guys so please make this happen. If it is already figured out then show how to implement.

Faith House Pictures

Faith House Pictures

Has Vimeo built in a way for us to collect VOD customers email without having them to OPT IN??
This information is extremely important to us. This is how we can promote, market, offer deals, coupons, theatrical, events etc.. The list goes on and on. Every other commerce does this. It will make Vimeo money, guys so please make this happen. If it is already figured out then show how to implement.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

No. Giving users the ability to opt-into email notifications from VOD creators is not only polite, (in our opinion), it's also required by law in certain jurisdictions. We will never allow the distribution of a user's email address without their explicit consent first.

That said, you can get a .csv file of the email addresses of those who have opted in by following the instructions in our FAQ here:

Link: vimeo.com/s/bcd

Faith House Pictures

Faith House Pictures

I am talking about acquiring emails from a purchased VOD customers only. A point-of-purchase commerce relationship in which contact information was obtained constitutes prior consent as long as a means to “OPT OUT” (Europe only) was provided seems to comply in both US and Europe SPAM acts. I don’t see that as rude.
Please try to see it like this example: Redbox requires an email in order to rent a movie from every customer. RedBox uses that information and puts out 20 million emails per week. Always with an OPT OUT provided in every email. Complying with Federal Spam act.
So if I understand this correctly, someone rents a movie from us, we may have NO contact information with them?
I think it can be cool for everyone as long as there is an OPT OUT.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry, but email notifications from the VOD creator will remain an opt-in feature for the buyer/renter.

Gevin Huey

Gevin Huey

I understand the viewpoint of the creator, how one could have the intent of having very reasonable and noble goals in reaching their audience.
However, as a viewer/purchaser, I very much prefer the idea of (by choice) opting into such communications, as opposed to having my contact information so readily available.

That being said, if Vimeo were to send monthly emails to me with a portion at the bottom that is dedicated to promotions/communications from 1. Vimeo's top/popular creators 2. newest creators 3. creators that I have personally had dealings with in the past 4. Perhaps creators that pay an advertising fee to Vimeo to help get the word out on their products. -I'd be fine with this. The primary reason being that Vimeo will be the one contacting me at an extremely seldom rate (once or twice a month), and my email is being shared with as few people as possible, yet the communication channel is still open.

Faith House Pictures

Faith House Pictures

Tommy that is real disappointment with Vimeo. We bring that customer to Vimeo and Vimeo keeps that information. It is not your to keep. This a a real game changer and this is not how it works in distribution. When I heard you guys were doing VOD I thought very cool. But if this is how you insist on doing business we have plenty of places to go as a PLATFORM for VOD. Vimeo is just a place to post videos and that is it. I don't think you realize the importance of this.

Gevin Huey

Gevin Huey

Is it theirs to give out willy nilly to anyone and everyone that manages to make a sale?
Offering a window of communication is one thing, invading privacy is another.

The Drill Instructor PC

The Drill Instructor PC PRO

We offer a discount to our VOD customers that we have to get to them. The opt in option does not work as anyone, not just subscribers, can opt in. It all comes down to who's customers the subscribers are. Are the the VOD or Vimeos. If they are the VOD's customers they are entitled to the customers information. The VOD must then get permission to contact them. If they are Vimeos customers, then vimeo has every right not to give us the information and the opt in choice is the only way we could get it. However, like I said, it is of no use because of non customers being able to opt in. If they are legally both vimeos and the VOD customers, then they should both get the customers information. If vimeo won't do this, then it is up to the VOD to find a new service.

Waka Yogi

Waka Yogi PRO

When I use my own website address to sell my Vimeo hosted series there is no way for the customer to "opt in" and give me their email address???? this is very disappointing.

What is the Vimeo solution for this?

Waka Yogi

Waka Yogi PRO

One thing I don't understand about Vimeo's logic is that on every website on earth that sells a product the vendor collects email addresses......but not on Vimeo.

It doesn't make any commercial sense.
The minute there is a better solution I will jump ship and I am sure everyone else will too.

Please allow me to link up to mailchimp, pop up a collection window, and go the whole 9 yards and supply the service that everyone wants, not what you think we should have.

Max Ziebell

Max Ziebell Plus

Yes. Please provide a better solution then this. Specially given the distinction of the new subscription. One at least needs some more meta-data and context in the CSV even if the system stays OPT-IN. Also … please at least provide a option to customize the OPT-IN section with a custom Call-To-Action … so people understand why in a particular scenario opt-in is of benefit (coupon, news, deals etc.)

Best regards

Waka Yogi

Waka Yogi PRO

To the moderators, your logic is 100% flawed. Let's walk through this step by step. 1. I promote my website 2. a customer visits my website and sees my advertising for my monthly subscription website costing $18 a month. 3. They decided that they want to subscribe to my content. 4. To subscribe and pay for my content, they have to sign up to Vimeo and give you their name and email address. ie they opt to give out their email address in order to pay for my content. 5. Vimeo decides to keep my customers name and email address secret from me, even though they "opted" to give it to me in order to pay for my content. Lets just make this clear at this point. They were not paying for Vimeo, they were paying for my content. 6. The customer continues to consume my content and pay me, and I pay Vimeo 10% for hosting, however refuses to share with me the details of my customer details because they think its impolite. I think Vimeo needs to decide who their customer is? me or my customers?

Waka Yogi

Waka Yogi PRO

Considering that the customers are paying me, and I am paying Vimeo...

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

PRO users can get the email addresses of those who opt-in to email from VOD creators by following the instructions in our FAQ: vimeo.com/s/bcd

It sounds like the email opt-in prompt not showing up on your custom domain could be a bug. Can you contact us using the email form so we can look into this further? Thank you.

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/contact

Faith House Pictures

Faith House Pictures

VHX allows us to gather our customer emails. After all we brought the customer to you. So it should be ours.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.