Eye Sorcerer

Eye Sorcerer

Example: If you upload a 720(576) file --0.41 MP-- Vimeo reduces to 640(360) --0.23 MP-- That's equal to 44.44% loss, around 45% loss?!! Is painful that dramatical loss --read Vwestlife's comment in 1st link--. Curiously, the preset area for playback desktop on Vimeo have 480p on height, check it. The common sense says, cited file should be scaled to 600(480), by height. In all video environments (TV stations, usual streaming and other related industries) the SD resolution is defined until 480p on height or nearby --e.g. 720(576), 854(480), etc, see 2nd link--. Less than 0.5 MP. Every time these sizes will be more small facing to future formats (2.5K, 4K, etc) and Height is a more natural way to define the SD format, not your current 640p on width!! Even for SD format, loss should be minimized as basics to Vimeo.

Against what one think, you care more HD format despite than it's more expensive host. Mainly the recent HD is 16:9 ratio --e.g. 1280(720)-- according home devices (TV screens, computer screens, etc) but Vimeo does not provide any intermediate resolution between high quality 1280(720) and low quality 640(360) for common ratio 16:9!! Vimeo says it can not support 854(480) due to quality assurance --see Link 3-- but is almost unconditional with the HD than is most resource-consuming and most expensive host. Example: A Free account user can upload 26 GB/year in HD but Any user than upload around 2 GB/year in SD format (i.e. 67 videos approx. to 30 MB each) suffers the hardest Vimeo's restrictions for resolutions. This an old forgotten or avoided question --see 3rd and 4th links--. The present Visual Memory of the World is mostly in 480p on height (DVDs are an example), well or bad that's our 'current past'. Only the contemporary home creators working actually in several HD formats.

I'm in love of Vimeo, his interactivity and design are fantastic. This little, but important, SD's internal redefinition and Vimeo will be The Boss. The world needs a forceful and an overwhelming alternative to YouTube --see 5th link--. Thanks in advance

Links:
1) vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:109429#comment_10337358,
2) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg,
3) vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:28174,
4) vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:48428,
5) support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Eye Sorcerer

Eye Sorcerer

And I add: neither storing videos with poor resolution to higher resolutions (nor "upgrade" or upscaled), that's tasteless --view the 6th link--. The original low-resolution file floating in the nice black playback area? Maybe!.... Summary: as title says, review policies for your SD format. Thanks for attention and we wait the happiness :)

Links:
6) vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:66906#comment_7264400

Steve Swayne

Steve Swayne

I just uploaded some SD animated shorts and the results on Vimeo are woeful. I am leaving them here, but an going to use YouTube from now on...

Link: vimeo.com/99896740

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.