Zach Klein

Zach Klein Alum

We removed the recommended clip player from your personal homepage and replaced it with a couple of lists featuring videos you might like.

Thoughts? Did you watch the video on your homepage often? Are these lists more useful? Would you like both?

Andy Galletly

Andy Galletly Plus

yea, i like it :)
but i did like that there was one clip ready to watch, in case i couldn't decide what to choose.. perhaps something from either of the lists could be picked at random?

Remyyy

Remyyy Plus

Yes, I totally wanted to write what Consumer128 said.

Remyyy

Remyyy Plus

Maybe there could be an exclusion of our clip when our contacts liked it (in the "videos liked by your contacts". I think it was the case before) But that's just a detail.

Ben Millett

Ben Millett

I think it's fine how it is now. It'll take some getting used to, but sometimes I would click on the recommended clip just so that I wouldn't have to see the thumbnail of that video anymore. It seems to create a lot more white space on the homepage, like something is missing, but that might not be too big of a deal. Right now there is a clip in both lists. Maybe filter one list against the other so that all six listed are different.

Dave Palestine

Dave Palestine

I like the idea of the Staff picks, but the home page seems bare and almost un-welcoming without it.

If you're going to keep it I would say remove the blog preview and just have like a 'NEW POST' thing next to the blog link on the bottom or send everyone a message when it's updated... so it'll maybe balance things out.

Alex Kehr

Alex Kehr

I agree with pstine. I miss that clip on the homepage. I think it was good for finding new clips. Maybe it could be optional?

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Although it does look a bit empty, that's only because we were used to it the other way. But I never really watched the big clip on the main page, I usually just went to it's page to view it, so I could see the explanation and everything. I think you made a good decision to get rid of it.

Jimmy Heffernan

Jimmy Heffernan Alum

i liked the way having that clip looked, but i was always a little annoyed that i'd have to open up the video's page to comment on it, so i wasn't a big fan of actually watching that video...does that make sense?

Zach Klein

Zach Klein Alum

I realized that I put it there in the first place only because it looked good -- it balanced the page with a nice big beautiful image -- but I never concluded whether it was actually useful or not.

Either way it's not too long until we release the new version of Vimeo, with a completely revised homepage, which I think is totally cool.

Dave Palestine

Dave Palestine

Well as for usefulness, personally I looked at the videos on the front page, then after I would click on it to see the creator's comments etc.

Either way I think it would be better to have something that looks better and somewhat redundant (depending on the user), than take it out completely.

themarkpike

themarkpike

I liked the video on the front page!

I'd reiterate the claims of nakedness. It used to have more personality; a photo that was large, unique, asymmetric, colorful, and ready to be sent into motion. Now it seems mechanical, cold, white.

MalphasWats

MalphasWats

I think it made the home page look nice, but I also agree with others about the having to click through anyway to find out more about it, so I'm happy with it not being there, as long as there's still some cool stuff to look at on the front page!

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Alum

Since the new version is coming out soon I guess this may just be redundant... but I agree with the page looking slightly empty (perhaps because I'm used to it the other way) but it does give more options of what to watch. So I'm sort of torn.

I do however think the staff picks should refresh everytime you refresh the page like the ""clips your contacts like". So far its been the same clips for me for the past 12 hours.

Size of the thumbnails between the two could also diversify the page a bit. instead of having 9 thumbnails of video to choose from on the front page (including subscription clips) your eye would be drawn to the larger ones first, say recommended clips, that are slighly larger and therfore create a nice hook.

Perez

Perez

I like the change. But "staff picks" should change every refresh (staff should pick more than 3)

Zach Klein

Zach Klein Alum

We just added the video player back to the page. Looks pretty.

hoovesontheturf (sarahana)

hoovesontheturf (sarahana)

it does look pretty w/ the video player. but if you're up for it, maybe a random video can be picked up each time from a combination of high views / comments / likes / speed at which users find it etc. instead of a manual recommendation. sort of like flickr's mysterious interestingness. that way, a surprise for all of us all the time.

themarkpike

themarkpike

looks great right now! i think it's cool that there's both "staff picks" and recommended clips from contacts. keeps things fresher. even though i usually love the staff picks, this will help me discover a better balance of things maybe i haven't seen before.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.