firsten

firsten

I was able to find a "locked" topic on this subject, but hoped to get a little more clarity. The basic problem is the PS3 is unable to support Flash 9 which Vimeo uses in it's player. However flash simply handles the encoded video (MPEG 4, H264) which the PS3 supports readily handles. In the discussion this issue is described as:

"Problem is, the PS3 can only do Flash 7. So it's not up to Vimeo to downgrade its service, but for Sony to port the new version of Flash to the PS3."

Suggestion:
With a simple browser detect vimeo could surface the H264 file in a flash 7 player or for download... (I have also tried the download link when available with no success).

dotdean

dotdean

bump. embedded works like a charm but on vimeo.com itself we dont get any video to work :( please try to fix it. thank you =)

D-Ray

D-Ray

Yes, please vimeo, can we not get some ps3 support? Then we can watch vimeo on the screens it is suppose to be watched on.

Rowan Krzysiak

Rowan Krzysiak Plus

Can you please get cracking on this one Vimeo. It would be much appreciated.

dotdean

dotdean

the strange thing is that we can play vimeo videos when they are embedded on external sites but not on vimeo.com directly :(

Niku

Niku

Yes please, we want vimeo on the ps3 browser!

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

I'm confused - first off, since when does a PS3 play back MP4 or H264 video? My 80 GB doesn't recognize MOV files at all.

Second, the Flash video that we watch on Vimeo is just that - Flash Video. It is not the H264s we deliver playing back in a Flash player. Those H264s are re-encoded into Flash to play back (but are still available for download - I would figure people can see the quality difference. I know I can).

If this is how Vimeo works, and their encoding is done in Flash 9, then it makes sense that you couldn't view these videos on the PS3.

Am I missing something here?

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Actually they are mp4 files. I'm no expert but how else would the files get played in the html5 format we just launched today.

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

Well, it's out of my league too, but isn't html just a programming language? It shouldn't have anything to do with video.

I definitely know that MP4 is not a codec. It's a wrapper that can contain many different codecs. Flash is itself a codec - you can't have an MP4 that's a Flash codec. The extension would be .FLV instead.

If MP4 is what Vimeo uses, that's great, but it is not Flash.

By the way, I'm not bashing Vimeo at all. I just thought that this would explain why you can't view the videos on a PS3.

firsten

firsten

Flash is simply the shell that plays back the file. The video itself is H264.

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

This is inaccurate, based on what I've read (unless you're specifically talking about what Vimeo does). Flash is a codec. FLV is a wrapper. Flash video is *not* H264. However, you would be able to have an H264 inside an FLV wrapper, but is is not recommended. This is a quote from one of the Flash programmers when Flash 9 first came out back in 07:

"Will it be possible to place H.264 streams into the traditional FLV file structure? It will, but we strongly encourage everyone to embrace the new standard file format. There are functional limits with the FLV structure when streaming H.264 which we could not overcome without a redesign of the file format."

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

So to be clear, the MOV container is *not* compatible with the PS3. But the H264 codec *is* compatible?

In what format, then, are H264 videos able to be streamed on a PS3?

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

Thanks. But as I said, the FLV is still not considered a proper container option for H264, as it says on the link you posted:

Q: Will I be able to multiplex H.264 video and AAC audio into the current FLV container format?

A: Adobe encourages customers to use the new MPEG-4-based file format. The new file format is designed to work with the features of these codecs.

So it appears that Vimeo encodes all videos into MP4 for streaming, and it is then Flash player that streams it on our browser's end, right?

firsten

firsten

The PS3's flash compatibility is limited to 8. This prevents it from being able to playback the files via flash. The suggestion to Vimeo in this string was to make the H.264 file available via browser detect for PS3 users.

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

I see. Sorry for the confusion. I'm still not sure how Vimeo could do that, if it's already using Flash 10 player, but I'm assuming there's a workaround?

Daniel Mc Mahon

Daniel Mc Mahon

does the PS3 support HTML 5 ? then it would work soon i think.

Visual Audio Club

Visual Audio Club PRO

I know I'm essentially replying to my own comments here, but I now understand that the PS3 can play MP4s.

Also, if a video was encoded in H.264 as an MOV, it is
very easy and quick to convert this into MP4. You just open the MOV in QT Pro, export as MP4 and use "pass through" for both video and audio. Voila. In a few seconds, the H.264 video has been unwrapped from MOV, and re-wrapped in MP4, and is now easily streamable to the PS3.

Not sure why the Flash player is used at all in Vimeo, or what any of it has to do with HTML5. The older player seems to be the major hurdle for the PS.

zerobyzero

zerobyzero

Hmm... Why I can watch some channels on my PS3 ("Vimeo HD channel" and "nothing", for example) but I can't play same videos from users' homepages or groups?

Floris van Eck

Floris van Eck

I also would like to see this implemented.

Theauteurs.com has it implemented pretty well!

Inverell Wedding

Inverell Wedding

This should be a priority, 34 million global PS3 sales to date, a Vimeo widget/channel should be made available also

Felix Bergemann

Felix Bergemann

I agree that much. After seeing the mubi-widget, it wpuld be great to have a vimeo one too.

Matt S

Matt S

I agree. It is mind blowing that the PS3 web browser is so behind the times. Then again, my general observation is that Sony is just horrible when it comes to "doing" software. If this is going to happen any time soon it will need to happen on Vimeo's side of things.

Ryan Snider

Ryan Snider Plus

I would love it if I could enjoy Vimeo's high quality videos and rich creative community on my PS3. It's the only HD compatible media player I own and thus the only one attached to a HD monitor. I love Vimeo and being able to watch it on my PS3 would only make me love it more. Big ups to Vimeo!

//PLANET MIND//

//PLANET MIND// PRO

C'mon Vimeo giv us some PS3 action!! we r soo close to making an epic catalyst for HD video!!!!

steve miller

steve miller

adding my voice to the fray, just got a ps3 and was really disappointed to discover how hobbled its web functionality is. (not even the google homepage displays correctly, and thats pretty much a search box, 2 buttons and a logo)

while it would be nice if vimeo could provide a workaround for the ps3's limitations, it'd be way better if we could pressure sony into getting a modern browser. otherwise it's going to be this same battle over and over with every site we'd like to view.

E R3Inc

E R3Inc

It still doesn't work for me on my ps3! Maybe I need a system update?

David Fairhead

David Fairhead Plus

I watched a film of mine on Vimeo via Apple TV a few weeks ago. Why can't I do the same on the PS3?

Apricot Productions

Apricot Productions PRO

Also still waiting for something to happen. Trouble is, on PS3 forums Sony are saying it's up to Vimeo to produce an App, and over here you have Vimeo saying there's a bug in PS3's system....it sounds like it will never happen :(

That being the case will the PS4 be better equipped I wonder?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.