ESHGvideos

ESHGvideos

I have found that the thumbnails for my videos are best if uploaded at 739px x 566px. This works perfectly with your "small" thumbnail options. I can predict exactly how it will look. But when the thumbnail image is applied to the initial view of my widescreen videos, it gets stretched.

Is there any way for me to separate the two? Letting me to upload an "Initial View" image and a "Thumbnail Image"

I find that would help me compensate for the aspect-ratio difference between your thumbnails and my wide-screen videos. I could then upload an "initial-view image" that matches the video dimensions and it would not effect my thumbnails.

I hope that's clear.
Let me know if this is possible.
Please get back to me. Thanks!

-- ESHG

ESHGvideos

ESHGvideos

You can see the issue here:
vimeo.com/6765808 (password protected)

Note how the thumbnail look awesome, but the initial view on the video is cut-off.

Also, can you move this post to the "HELP" forum for me. Thanks in advance,

--ESHG

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

The best thing to do is make a thumbnail the size of the video itself. So if you uploaded at HD video (1280X720), make the thumbnail that size, same for whatever other dimensions you upload. Then let our system crop them on the search pages and elsewhere.

maenhir movies

maenhir movies Plus

Matt

I've uploaded 1280x720 image the search thumbnail is cut off width, I can live with it.
But how can I get the first frame / poster frame / initial frame on the movie to show full size like everyone else without the black edges cut off?
vimeo.com/14901320

ESHGvideos

ESHGvideos

Now, I know Vimeo is the cleanest and best put together video site. But, I'm not happy with the way it crops those thumbnails. The aspect ratio is different, and I like to dictate exactly what shows in the thumbnails.

Just place this is the wishlist I guess. "The ability to upload a thumbnail image and an initial view image" Maybe that's something you could offer to "plus" members only? Seems like a small amount of code, but a large amount of new storage (I understand that may be expensive)

Until then I'll just keep going with what you've got here. Great service so far!

ESHGvideos

ESHGvideos

Well, currently your system places the "thumbnail" image as the image shown when videos first come up on someone's browser window. You know, before someone hits the play button.

I think you should separate the two things. A thumbnail image for thumbnails, and another image upload for that "initial view"

Have the thumbnail image apply as thumbnail image only? You know for the directories and such, where your thumbnail sizes need to be consistent (otherwise the layouts would look bad).

Then, because videos on vimeo can be different pixel dimensions, you allow us to upload our own "initial view image" that is the correct dimensions for our videos. That way I can have my title stretch across the whole first screen/initial view without worrying about it getting cut-off when you system crops it out for a thumbnail.

(This would be because an "initial view" image would be a separate entity from the thumbnail.)

Thanks for letting me "try" to clear that up. And thanks for the responses!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

i don't think this is such a good idea. for one thing, the way people navigate and locate videos is via visual means. if the thumbnail image that represents the video and the "initial view image" are different from one another i believe it will confuse more users than help them.

ESHGvideos

ESHGvideos

Totally understood. But there are circumstances where the different aspect ratios really mess with a title.

My example video:
vimeo.com/6765808

I had to make a thumbnail image that doesn't look like the actual "title sequence" of the video.

The actual title sequence stretches from edge-to-edge. See how it looks on second #44.

If I give that frame to your system it crops the edges and the title would no longer be readable.

What I have here is acceptable. I just had to change a lot of things to make a thumbnail image that isn't the same as my title sequence. I like the ability to have something look consistent.

It's a special circumstance I'm sure. Thanks for everybody's time. Still an awesome service!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm moving this to the suggestion forum in case anyone else whats to chime in.

Video Madness

Video Madness Plus

I agree. I hate having the video splash image turned into a square even though the video and thumbnail image I upload is clearly widescreen

Whizz-Kidz

Whizz-Kidz

Yes, agreed. How about an option wherether 1) to crop or 2) to letterbox?

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church PRO

Yes, if my video AND my uploaded thumbnail are both 16:9 (1280x720) why does my thumbnail get clipped into a 4:3 aspect ratio? Can it display at either 16:9 full screen or 4:3 letter boxed? I'd rather have a letter boxed thumbnail than a clipped title.

igor stanojević

igor stanojević

If I may make a suggestion -

If the thumbnails are to remain 4:3 (which I don't really see a reason for, but anyway), perhaps an option can be introduced which gives user control over the crop of the thumbnail in its 4:3 form? Something of similar fashion to the way Facebook allows one to modify which part of the profile picture is visible in the square avatar.

Sometimes when I want to use a thumb that looks really nice in widescreen, I discover that, for example, the most prominent figure in the shot is completely cropped out of the picture in the 4:3 version, because only the center piece of the thumb is being used. It's be really nice to be able to at least move the crop to one side or the other, because this way only centrally composed shots are viable for use for both the widescreen and the 4:3 thumbnails.

Danny Deelen

Danny Deelen PRO

C'mon Vimeo, just fix it allready... The clips are widescreen and the 'clip generated' thumbnail is stretched-out! (Can't be that hard to solve)

I have a PLUS account, but it looks ridiculous. To much long faces;-)

Le Département du Val-de-Marne

Le Département du Val-de-Marne PRO

I'd like to see this fixed as well.

Here is the video :
vimeo.com/17810569

And here is the thumbnail generated by Vimeo :
b.vimeocdn.com/ts/111/221/111221859_200.jpg

As you can see, the video is 16:9 while the thumbnail is 4:3 and it doesn't look right.

The simple solution would be for Vimeo to first resize by height only (150 px), then crop on width using center as gravity.

With ImageMagick, I'd probably use this command :

# convert preview.jpg -resize x150 -gravity center -crop 200x150+0+0 +repage thumb.jpg

Can you please consider to fix this :)
Thank you in advance.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we've entertained that idea as well but decided there was just as much risk of misrepresenting the video. we know the way we do this now isn't perfect but it was necessary to keep the layout of the page consistent and we only do this for small size thumbnails on our site.

Le Département du Val-de-Marne

Le Département du Val-de-Marne PRO

So it means you are not going to try to provide a solution for distorted thumbnails ?

I don't see why it would break your layout since the thumbnail size stays the same 200x150. Only content gets cropped on both left and right sides of the thumbnail.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

as i mentioned above i don't cropping the image is a good solution.

Quick Mount PV

Quick Mount PV PRO

Are you kidding? So YOU think that DISTORTING the aspect ratio of the image is a better solution? This is supposed to be the pro way to go, yes? This is bush league. When is this going to resolved? And when I say resolved, I certainly do not mean resolved in the way that you "Think" is a good solution (and by the way, as a staff member, proofread your post's for god's sake) but resolved in the manner that the professional world demands?

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church PRO

"...and we only do this for small size thumbnails on our site."

This comment is what really makes Vimeo's implementation hard for me to work with. I understand that you (Vimeo) have the right to maintain your pages however you wish and to determine their layout as you deem appropriate.

My issue is that, because my content is 16x9, I have to contend with creating a thumbnail that looks right BOTH in 4x3 AND 16x9 (Because the thumbnail shows on each video's individual page in 16x9 before a user clicks play AND it shows in 16x9 on ALL embeds).

Could there be some middle ground reached? Again, I would prefer that my 4x3 thumbnail (which Vimeo has determined that I must use) to be LETTERBOXED inside my 16x9 containers (embeds, etc.) rather than cropped.

(Sorry for the capitals, no other form of emphasis available.)

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church PRO

For the time being, I've decided that I will just live with building my thumbnail graphics in a 4:3 space and constraining any vital content to a 16:9 section (centered vertically) within that 4:3 space.

Not very elegant but most viewers probably won't even care or notice. (Even though it's these little things that drive visual artists - like, say, vimeo content creators - crazy!)

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church PRO

vimeo.com/21109355

It appears that I may have gotten exactly what I was asking for in my previous post (pillar boxing as opposed to cropping thumbnails).

If a change has indeed been made, thank you very much for listening. Unfortunately, (and I hate to say it) I was mistaken - that pillarboxed image looks terrible.

EDIT 3-23-11: I re-uploaded my 4x3 image and it cropped this time instead of pillar-boxing...*shrug*

InterMedia

InterMedia Plus

This thumbnail thing is really irritating. I am uploading PAL widescreen ssource (720 x 576). Vimeo respects aspect ratio on the encode, but then horizontally stretches the thumnail. WHY????

Southpoint Church

Southpoint Church PRO

Thumbnail pillar-boxing:
vimeo.com/25920559
vimeo.com/25613477

I use Premiere Pro/AME CS5. The only difference in my workflow that I can discern is this: For these two videos, I selected a pixel aspect ratio of "square pixels" for my video. Prior to this, I had been using the default (for my timelines anyway) 16:9 pixel aspect ratio (note: I DO understand the difference in how AME applies these settings).

Someone else generates the original thumbnail graphic but I didn't see any difference in these two compared to previous files (8 bit RGB with a 4:3 aspect ratio).

Any help is appreciated, I'd rather not re-encode if at all possible.

Nuru International

Nuru International

AGREED that the 4:3 thumbnail is quite silly. We have to design all our thumbs with text in 4:3 safe area.

Seems like there's more risk misrepresenting (or not communicating) with not seeing the full image than there would be in letterboxing.

A FAR greater # of peeps will see the small 4:3 thumbnail than the 16:9 title thumbnail. Hope that Vimeo rethinks this. My only solitary complaint...in a virtual ocean of benefits and outstanding features. : )

The Hometown Acting Studio

The Hometown Acting Studio

I am suddenly having this issue as well. After days of normalcy, suddenly my 'initial view image' is stretched horizonally! It wasn't like that before and I did nothing to my settings.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Can you please post the URLs you want us to take a look at in our HELP forum please?

Stitch Films

Stitch Films

Why is this such a big deal to fix? pro account my hat, it looks cheap as hell...

Quick Mount PV

Quick Mount PV PRO

Totally, this is not something a paying customer should have to deal with. How can you say, in some of your responses, that distorting my image by switching it from 16x9 to 4x3 is not a big deal. It is a huge deal. We are the professional world looking for a professional video sharing site, so please, for god's sake fix this simple problem. This is terrible.

Vasiliy Shikhachevskiy

Vasiliy Shikhachevskiy

Hi all!
Have the same problem and same question. The problem is not the wish of having thumbnail different from preview|still image that's displaying untill user press play|pause. The problem is scaled thumbnails (or preview image). The only way to "fix" it, is to upload all videos in 16:9 format. But 4:3 still being used today you know. Here's the example: vimeo.com/39845467 video preview image is cropped - it the same size as uploaded video. But if you look at it in video list vimeo.com/railgun/videos its scaled, not even croped. If you make the preview image 16:9 so thumbnail (in the list) would be ok - then youll get scaled preview image. Thats began after you changed interface layout. About 2 years ago, and still no solution. How could that be? I'm sorry for bad english

Link: vimeo.com/39845467

Living Stones

Living Stones PRO

Bump.

I'm bummed by this. My "solution" (using the Advanced API) is to pull the larger 16:9 thumbnail and shrink it in HTML. This is obviously not an ideal solution.
If anyone has any better ideas or if Vimeo decides to tackle this problem please let me know!

Orange LV

Orange LV PRO

Please submit comments for ideal thumbnail size to upload to work best across all areas that thumbnail is shown. This is a most ridiculous issue to have and I did not realize upon signing up for a Pro account that this would be such an issue. Seems like a lot of extra work is needed to manage the thumbnail/keyframes to get a consistent end user experience. This is firmly on Vimeo to find a better solution and implement it. It doesn't reflect well that this is an issue that doesn't affect their competitors that I have used (Ooyala, Brightcove).

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

For custom thumbnails, the image's resolution should match the resolution of the video. We'll then scale the image for wherever the video is shown. If you're still having trouble, please post in the Help Forum.

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.