Scott Burch

Scott Burch Plus

Hello,

Wondering what the possibility of having a channel created for Vimeo on the ROKU box. ROKU just updated their firmware adding numerous channels..the only video sharing channel they have is for motionbox. I can view my Flickr photos on my TV with the ROKU now, but would really like to get to my Vimeo content. I have Netflix which is the main reason I have the Roku in the first place.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

We have been talking with Roku, but no definitive plans yet. We'll let you guys know what comes from it.

Ben Adams

Ben Adams

Vimeo on Roku would be a Godsend.

John Risney

John Risney

Vimeo on the Roku!! Superb concept!! I have a Roku and this would be the icing on the cake!!!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

can you guys help educate us? we would like to hear more about what you like about using roku and how you think they compare to other similar services out there. thanks.

Scott Burch

Scott Burch Plus

Sure,

Roku is a simple device hooked to my home theater setup that was originally purchased to stream Netflix movies to my television. Roku isn't a service...they simply provide a device to stream media from various Internet content providers..originally it was just for Netflix, but they have released an SDK and have partnered with other content providers which are simply added as channels to the device. It's a very simple device that works well. I have plenty of computers and work with them all day long, but I don't really want a computer hooked to my tv.

Ken Mickeletto

Ken Mickeletto

Any news on this? I really don't want a Motionbox account, but badly want to sit on my couch to watch my Vimeo vids. A computer hooked to the TV is a joke. Roku is the only way to go for watching streaming content.

Hoping/Praying/Begging.

:)

Tim Jennen

Tim Jennen

I just signed on to Vimeo because I've seen a few different videos from the site and really liked the content. I've had a Roku for about a week and it's great! Very simple to use and the videos load quickly and can look terrific on the television screen (depending on original source resolution). What's weak is available quality programming from alternative sources. Outside of Netflix and Mediafly (which offers Democracy Now!, and various news podcasts) there's not a lot of great programming yet.

With broadcast television having degenerated into infomercials and low-cost sensational reality programming, in addition to sports events too big not to be delivered to people who cannot afford cable, and cable focusing on sports, Hollywood films, dramatic and comedy programs formerly the province of the broadcast networks and cannibalizing existing content from the history of television & Hollywood, using Roku as a mainstream method to deliver streaming videos of interest to viewers like me would be incredibly welcome and a mighty alternative to cable & broadcast.

Anything happening on this front?

Chris Paredes

Chris Paredes

any updates on this? every time i fire up the roku i check out the channel store in hopes of a new vimeo channel!!!

Robert Caldwell

Robert Caldwell

I was just watching videos from my Smugmug account on Roku and thought to myself how awesome Vimeo on Roku would be. So I just want to add my vote =)

Braden Hays

Braden Hays

I agree! I would love a Vimeo channel on my Roku!

mcglinch

mcglinch

any update? with the death by purchase of motionbox (by snapfish/hp) on the roku, definitely time for vimeo!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

it's not quite ready yet but one of the active projects we are working on at the moment.

astrodad

astrodad

I left Vimeo to Motionbox for a while...bad move, I know. I can't wait to see how this ends up. Are they any other ways to enjoy Vimeo on my TV besides Roku?

YesJim

YesJim

I'm another Motionbox orphan looking for a place to share my HD videos with friends & family. So far I'm impressed with your site and will upgrade to a Plus membership once you are hooked up to Roku. I am also willing to be a tester.

Patrick Ellis

Patrick Ellis

I realize most of you probably read the news, but the Vimeo Channel is now available in the Roku Channel Store. Enjoy!

CORRADO

CORRADO Plus

The vimeo channel on Roku is not working too well... You can only play recent videos, anything that's about 2 years old or so will not play at all. That needs to be fixed, please.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Unfortunately, Roku does not support the video codec used in our older videos.

CORRADO

CORRADO Plus

Oh, that's too bad. Will Vimeo become a channel on any other device besides the Roku? Just curious.

Richard Fannin

Richard Fannin

I just received an email link to some private/password protected videos posted on Vimeo. Is there a way to direct them to my Roku channel so that I can watch them on my hdtv? Thanks in advance for any information.

steve bonds

steve bonds Plus

please help me understand this--if I send a password protected video to someone and they get an email how does that get into their Vimeo/Roku system and how do they type in the password on the Roku screen? thanks steve bonds plus memeber

Ted Perkins

Ted Perkins

I understand and accept that older videos will not play on Roku because they were encoded with a codec that Roku does not support. Thats progress. Still, yesterday I tried what I thought was re-encoding using the "Replace" feature. I even used the same file that I uploaded 14 mo. ago. Zero luck. Not even the original upload date changed (should it?). Why didn't this method work? Did I miss something?

Any more suggestions besides re-building a detailed, well-positioned video from scratch and loosing stats, all viewer links to it, etc.?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Replacing the video should work. Can you link me to the one that didn't work?

Ted Perkins

Ted Perkins

Hi Brad - would it help if I tried Uploading the same file as a new "test" Video & then see how it looks on Roku? If so, I would need my "1 HD Upload/week" limit waved. Let me know on both issues.

Ted Perkins

Ted Perkins

Same file would NOT play on Roku when uploaded as a new video. Also tried a new encode of H.264 & did another "Replace" - no Roku play. So, hmmm, QUESTION: since there is NO audio track for these videos, I always turn Divx & CS4 "Export Audio" encodes OFF. Does the Roku player "require" an encoded Audio track, even if it is "silent"? Have I made a bad assumption?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Ted,

That's certainly a possibility, although I don't know. I would contact Roku and ask them about it.

Ted Perkins

Ted Perkins

Turning on "Export Audio" worked! Even played the quickly added music track. I didn't want to wait multi-days for a possible answer from Roku, so I just re-encoded and did another "Replace". So, feel free to add this to the Vimeo encoding instructions. I see other Videos that have a "retrieving" progress bar that quickly dies with zero hint of what is going on. Not very nice.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Awesome! I will let our contact know so we can try to get that fixed in the next version of the Vimeo channel.

Ted Perkins

Ted Perkins

Thanks for offering to help Brad. Glad to hear I am on the right track. As of 1AM EST, the following video still did not play on our Roku setup for 720 HD:
vimeo.com/4930152

Jason Bryant

Jason Bryant

there needs to be a "my subscription" or "my Channel" in the ROKU app. Otherwise it is useless to me.

scott lawrence

scott lawrence

I work for a STB service like Roku and would like to know what the process would be to discuss a Vimeo app to go on our box.

RSM

RSM

I watch Vimeo on Roku, almost exclusively, and it is great. Problem is, every time the power goes out (I live in New England... we lose power all the time during the winter) I have to link to my Vimeo account. Even if it is only a quick blip and isn't long enough to need to reset clocks, I have to relink my account on Roku. (It hasn't happened while watching Vimeo, at least not yet.) No other Roku channel has this problem, only Vimeo. Is there a way around this? This winter, especially, it is getting rather old, rather fast.

Thank you!!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry about that I'm almost positive that's something you should request at Roku customer support.

RSM

RSM

Thank you, however this happens only with Vimeo, not with any other channel, which points to a Vimeo issue, not a Roku issue.

Uuntz

Uuntz

Vimeo staff,

vimeo.com/20580492

The audio works but video doesn't on my Roku box. First video I've encountered that does this. I have a Roku XD|S box. I'm not sure if it is an old codec issue as it was uploaded within the past day. Any thoughts?

Gray

Gray

Vimeo is my favorite channel right up there with Netflix on the Roku. One question though, will there be any support for Albums/Groups? When you have a lot of likes it can take a long time to get through them.

Gilberto Rivera

Gilberto Rivera

Is there any way to have channels I subscribed to show up in my Roku/Vimeo interface? As it is now, I can subscribe to channels via my browser in my laptop, but these channels do not show up on my Roku's Vimeo channel.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

There's no way to do this currently, but if you subscribe to them, new videos should show up in your inbox.

School of Visual Arts & Design

School of Visual Arts & Design PRO

Being able to browse and subscribe to Vimeo Channels (AKA curated/programmed content) on streaming devices like Roku and Apple TV would really take Vimeo to the next level. Vimeo would become the premiere forum for independent film and video artist to showcase their work.

Vimeo is already giving living rooms all over the world access to unique content that can't be found anywhere else, the next step is to make browsing that content easier to do. Vimeo has a sea of content that can be accessed via streaming apps, but users are deluged with videos when trying to search for something that might interest/attract them. Access to channels would allow users to be guided by people or entities that took the time to arrange content that have similar qualities. Thus drawing interest quicker and making it easier for the curious to explore.

I'm sure this is something Vimeo has thought of already, just wanted to give some feed back. Keep up the good work.

Gore De Vol

Gore De Vol PRO

Let me echo that last comment. I just got Roku...it's GREAT. I would like to make my channel easily accessable to others on Roku. Even searching for the channel name in search (even when that name is in the tags) doesn't even work.

Shawn Rossi

Shawn Rossi

Are there plans to implement the new Vimeo site changes to the Roku Vimeo app? The Vimeo app is a bit lacking in it's current version on Roku. Thanks Vimeo Staff!

Vince Lahey

Vince Lahey

Is there a way to have your vimeo videos play in a loop continuously? I'd like to have them playing as background at parties.

Thanks

CORRADO

CORRADO Plus

IS there a way to log out of your account on Roku? I seem to be locked in with no option to log out. I would like to be able to sign into multiple accounts. I tried removing and re-
adding the channel, seems to keep me signed in.

EKU Media

EKU Media Plus

Please add "following" to the choices on the Roku app.

Thanks.

Ben Linus

Ben Linus

Another options if not happy with current Vimeo channel is to get the 1080p channel and play any HD video from YouTube. It's on the Large Roku channel list over at mkvXstream.com along with the install link.

Link: mkvxstream.com

Adept Productions

Adept Productions Plus

I love the Roku app on my Roku. Recently, it no longer shows my "my likes". Its says that I haven't liked any videos yet. I can view my likes on my mac no problem. Anyone else have this problem?

Jkoz4

Jkoz4

I'm having an issue playing all of my likes on the Roku channel. It will only play the videos loaded on the screen at any given time and then will cycle back to the first video displayed on that specific "page" instead of moving on to the next page of videos in the queue. Is there a fix coming for this?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.