bluedog

bluedog

Well, in theory the viddler in-line commenting on the timeline of the video could be used to subtitle a piece. I like the idea of subtitling and perhaps using a standard .srt file which can be created with several software packages already available.

This way, vimeo wouldn't be reinventing the wheel for subtitling. I think all they would need to do is integrate reading the .srt file properly via flash. I guess it could also be 'written' to with some more work so people could create in-video comments (with more flash development in the player)

bluedog

bluedog

Sorry, I only know how to play them alongside the videos I have rather than burning them to a disc. Maybe Google can help?

Matthew Wilcox

Matthew Wilcox

I raised the same point to the Viddler team two weeks ago, they sounded enthusiastic - but I've heard nothing from them since. Also, the time-line comments wouldn't really be the place for subtitles. Same process but different functions. One adds tangent information, the other exposes existing information in a different medium.

bluedog

bluedog

You make a good point. What if everyone wanted a different language subtitled? Then you'd have a mismash of timeline comments.

Matthew Wilcox

Matthew Wilcox

exactly. And yet with the web there's no reason why there couldn't be multiple language subtitles available.

Thommy Browne

Thommy Browne Plus

I think revver already does something similar to this? I could be wrong.

Matthew Wilcox

Matthew Wilcox

Hmm, I've never looked at revver. It would be nice to see in Vimeo though.

Matthew Wilcox

Matthew Wilcox

Accessibility is what it's all about. And it's also useful if the audio on the video is a little unclear.

bk

bk Plus

Being accessable for Deaf/HoH people would be amazing for this community. Subtitling is a bitch, and not a lot of people would follow through with it, but being the first video sharing site with opportunities for the deaf to share videos with each other would be a great service.

Matthew Wilcox

Matthew Wilcox

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't think of a better place to champion this.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.