Joe Popp

Joe Popp

I see posts of people asking for this 3 years ago. Is this ever going to be a feature?

I want to ba able to send a link to someone and have them go to and be able to view a private video of mine. I want the video to be hidden from vimeo and ONLY accessible through the direct link, and not require a password.

Anyone else think this would be valuable?

Ethicon Vimeo channel

Ethicon Vimeo channel

A secret url can be made via the Video Review Page (not a very logical name, I would say...), like Black mentioned.
For me it was still a bit of searching and testing how to actually get the url (which I did not want to be publically found). These are the steps (Privacy Tab) : a) Who can watch his video: tick "Only me". b) Yes, enable Video Review page: tick "Yes" and the word (link) will appear. If you click on this link the url (which ofcourse you can copy) will open.

Suggestion for Vimeo: add an explicit (and easier!) "Secret URL" option: Who can watch this video? Tick box: "Only people with this link."

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

no, only people with access (people you added to the list, people with the password) can access private videos. in general we're not big fans of "soft" privacy because it's neither here or there with risk vs. benefits.

Kenneth Wieske

Kenneth Wieske

Soxiam, many of us are big fans of "soft" privacy because it is an excellent way to share videos, for example, to a FB private group.
There is a HUGE benefit for me if I can have my video private on Vimeo, but share the link within a private group on FB. The idea of adding 600 people to a Vimeo private group in order to get the same effect just doesn't appeal to me, especially since membership in my FB group fluctuates somewhat.

Old Dead Eye

Old Dead Eye Plus

I agree with this point. This is not a security issue. Anyone that wants to secure a video will lock it down with a password. This a distribution issue.Paying for a vimeo account and then having to upload to facebook because I don't want people to associate it with my other work, seems a bit pointless to me, it would be nice to have everything in one place, but not make it seem like mess to anyone viewing it. It also good business, as it means that my video life is online and in one place and I'll no doubt continue to pay my subscription because that is less hassle than moving it elsewhere. Having the option to simply remove your work from the rest of your videos but remaining viewable to anyone with the specific link is a good idea and is additional to password protection. I've mentioned it a few times now but my post about having a 'projects' section. A management system that you could integrate this link-only video idea into project folders, with the ability to make them publicly visible or publicly accesible whilst organising your work ethic and providing a more coherent viewing experience

Ferris Family

Ferris Family Plus

Hello, I really would like to request that this feature is considered. I believe any risk would be my risk, not to Vimeo. Shouldn't it be my decision to choose to accept the supposed 'risk vs. benefits' tradeoff if I was to use such a feature? On other sites I can perform similar sharing if I choose to accept the risk.

leslie wand

leslie wand Plus

i whole heartedly agree - i would like to put a 'hidden from public' video on vimeo but have people access directly (without password) from an embedded link on a website.

i think there's nothing 'soft' about this choice at all. it would just mean casual browsers on video would not see the video, whereas those i want to see it (not necessarily in my contact list) can via the appropriate embedded link on my website

Nilz

Nilz Plus

The advantage to this in my opinion is it allows you to give easy access to other people, while still keeping privacy.

I don't know how many times I have given some one a pass worded video (with the password) and they write me back asking "what is the password!?"

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

If you share your password protected videos by clicking on the "share" button inside the player, the invitation email will go out to the recipients with the password.

As for the "soft privacy" we are considering it.

Tequila REVOLUCION

Tequila REVOLUCION

What happens if it won´t let me add any email accounts? the button "add" doesn´t work help!

Generous Giving

Generous Giving PRO

Consider this another vote for the "unlisted" privacy option like we have on YouTube.

Quadster

Quadster

There are more user requests for the same feature here:

vimeo.com/forums/topic:29059

So many people want this feature that I don't know why Vimeo is so resistant. It's clear from the comments that people know exactly what they would get from such a feature whether it be considered "soft" privacy or not.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

That is why we are considering it as I stated above.

Michael Schmidt

Michael Schmidt

Here, here! I'd also like to see the "unlisted" feature added.

I am currently experiencing a bug with Vimeo where my private videos are not working when viewed through my private albums. With the "unlisted" option, this problem would not occur as anyone with access to the unlisted link would be able to view it, no extra password (or password bugs) to get in the way.

Michael Schmidt

Michael Schmidt

Those looking for alternatives to Youtube and Vimeo:

Try Viddler.com. They're free and offer a "secret url" feature. They're video widgets are also pretty cool.

Article19

Article19 PRO

We do this all the time, all you do is hide the video from Vimeo then embed the video into an orphaned web address (not linked to from anywhere). Easy done. If you don't have a web server just run a solo Tumblr or Posterous account.

Ronald Widha

Ronald Widha

Agreed. I really want this (the ability to embed & share a link of a private video only from specific sites) too.

I'm currently using one vimeo account for both my speaking engagements purposes & family videos. I would prefer them to be somehow seggragated.

One thing that could make it better also is to only list other videos in the same album on the "other videos" tab on the right hand side. So at least my family videos will not be too exposed out.

Not having this feature would just mean, more and more people have 2 Vimeo accounts rather than just one and would probably put more strain in the system. So please consider it.

THanks

Kenneth Wieske

Kenneth Wieske

Youtube offers something similar. I just signed up for Vimeo Plus, but if this feature is not available, I will be obliged to choose Youtube for most of my video sharing. The ability to make the video private, with the freedom to share with anyone by just using the url, is something I can't do without.

Peter R.

Peter R.

Yet another member looking for this feature, too.

I understand that Vimeo wants to build its member base, which is why the current options about "Allow contacts" or "Choose People" are there, but it just isn't practical to be able to get everyone I know to join (as much as I wish they would).

I like the creativity of the solution posted above regarding embedding to an orphaned web page, but I would surmise the average Vimeo member doesn't understandably have the skill to do this.

Daniel Rucci

Daniel Rucci Plus

As a paying customer of vimeo, I'd also like my voice to be heard.

The argument that Vimeo thinks soft privacy is "imperfect" is simply fallacious. No video on the web is actually perfectly secure and the sooner we realize this and implement an imperfect but extraordinarily convenient and useful feature the better off we will all be.

Dan Harris Video

Dan Harris Video

Please add my name to those who would greatly appreciate this feature. Like Ronald Widha above, I too, have a few videos of my grand daughters that I would prefer others to not be able to see even in my thumbnails on the right side along with all my other education/professional videos

Philippe Creux

Philippe Creux

+1 for this feature. I'm bored of saying "here is the link to the video, leave the password blank, just hit Submit"

Brave New Workshop

Brave New Workshop

Here's to adding my voice to the many already listed. Please, please add this feature! And while you're at it, perhaps you can allow non-Vimeo peeps the ability to download the video too rather than having to login and/or register for a Vimeo account in order to do so? I understand the pressure to charm (?) new members into joining but driving existing customers to alternative companies does not seem worth it. Thanks!

Vagner Duarte

Vagner Duarte

I would like to be able to use Vimeo Plus as my webcaster for my internal communications vdos in my company. I would send the URL and a password for them (only) to open it. Due to this conversation, it's possible yet, right?

Vagner Duarte

Vagner Duarte

Thanks Soxiam. So the password is set by me or its random by Vimeo?

Diggler

Diggler

I also require a video option that is hidden from searches but open if you give someone the URL. It is an important feature that Vimeo should support.

Tomek Ślesicki

Tomek Ślesicki

I'd like one of my videos to be visible on my portfolio but unlisted on my vimeo page. +1 for the "unlisted" option!

jonathanportelli

jonathanportelli

why all of a sudden even when I have the checkbox "Allow other people to download this file" does it not let non registered users to download the file. never had this problem before. Is this new?

Moving Memories of Brenham

Moving Memories of Brenham

It would be helpful. I do some charity work at times for kids camps. it is just fun video and I do not want it listed with my wedding videos. If I can imbed the link in facebook or email out the album link then they could see the video but I could hide it from my wedding people. Very useful. Plus I do some funny home videos that I don't want my bride groom coming across as they are not "perfect" just for fun! and not up to par quality wise on purpose.

cocomonk22

cocomonk22

I also am interested in a way to share private videos on Facebook without requiring passwords.

hemuni

hemuni

Common Soxiam, any update on your considerations..?

People clearly want this feature, yours truly included.
I would love to use vimeo plus for my video sharing, especially since vimeo was just added to appletv and in gorgeous hd no less.

Maybe you don't like soft private, as you call it, but consider this; my mother gets confused by the tv remote that she's been using for over a decade. Tell me how am i supposed to explain to her she needs to enter a password to watch a video of her granddaughter? please please please make this happen already.

Or at least offer an explanation to why its taken you guys so long..?

Libertas

Libertas

Amen, need this feature!

TekVideo

TekVideo

I suggest you move over to using Picasa this feature is available. At least the competition listen plus they handle HD

David Petrofsky

David Petrofsky Plus

Also, I wouldn't think this has to be said, but I'll say it anyway...if you hide it from Vimeo it should also be hidden from google. Don't say it's not possible because, once again, Smugmug does it...haha.

TekVideo, does Picasa take a crap on your video like Smugmug does? That's the only thing that kept me from staying there. They totally ruin the video with their transcoding, even at original size.

David Petrofsky

David Petrofsky Plus

I'm of course referring to the "soft privacy" mode when I talk about hiding it from Google. I"m sure the current "private" mode does it, but I can't use that because it will stop me from sharing on facebook.

Robert Madge

Robert Madge

I note that there are two long-running threads on this same topic. I would like to add my voice to the request for unlisted urls that don't require passwords.

Dave Savage

Dave Savage

I also want unlisted URLS that can be shared by a family to see their family events that I record.
memorykeepersvideo.com Plus member
And a password option would make some families more comfortable.

Hatfield Media

Hatfield Media PRO

Is there an update to this? I REALLY want this feature. I have a Pro account, and I am shocked that this is not available.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

It's something we're considering at this point.

Hatfield Media

Hatfield Media PRO

I see where you stated 6 months ago that it is being considered. Is there a way to make a stronger appeal other than this forum? It seems that 40 people all asking for a feature is failing to elicit any movement.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

This is available with PRO! Video Review pages are direct links to videos that do not show on Vimeo if you don't want them to.

Distinctive WorkForce Solutions

Distinctive WorkForce Solutions

Im interested in this as a free account or maybe even a plus account feature...but I don't need to have a pro account. So the feature is still useless to me...

One Hope Ministry

One Hope Ministry

Hey I just signed up for Vimeo looking for this exact feature mentioned on this thread. Is this something you guys will implement? If not, its a deal breaker for me, I will be looking elsewhere...

Kristl

Kristl Plus

Will this be available for levels other than Pro? It seems everyone wants this, why not make it available for all levels?

Ben

Ben

I do work for private individuals, schools and such and the videos most all of the time my clients do not want publicly assessable. Sports videos, dance concert video, etc. To send them a link to the video, without it showing on this site is invaluable. It appears that this feature costs 130.00 as a Plus member would have to upgrade to a Pro account. Just saying. It would be nice if we could just have some form of timeframe for this feature or a definitive answer as to whether or not us Plus folks can expect it at all? As always thanks.

Issue

Issue

Youtube has it, Fail!

Quadster

Quadster

So clearly the whole "soft privacy" reason for not implementing this feature was just an excuse, because Vimeo has gone ahead and added 'unlisted video' (for Pro users) regardless of any supposed concerns about soft privacy.

If Vimeo really considered unlisted video to be "imperfect" (as has been said by Vimeo staff) then why would they implement such an inadequate and sub-standard feature for their highest paying customers? It doesn't make any sense.

The truth is that Vimeo knows full well that unlisted / anonymous video is both useful and desirable (despite them claiming that they couldn't see the point of such a feature). That's why they've gone and added it as a premium feature to their most expensive top-of-the-range service.

However, the paying 'Plus' users (who requested the feature in the first place) get nothing.

Taggify

Taggify

+1 to the request, now i am uploading my video to youtube because of this. Wake up Vimeo!

m ev

m ev

I won't be renewing my plus account unless this feature is included. Vimeo had the edge for a while, but is rapidly losing pace.

The Pierces

The Pierces

I'm fairly disappointed to see this thread. I finally bit the bullet and got Plus because I really need to get some baby videos out to family while they're relevant. The #1 best way to do this would be unlisted links without passwords. That is by far the best user experience for these things.

I'm not paranoid about someone hacking my facebook so they can get access to my precious baby videos. I'm not worried about these family members forwarding the link to other family members who aren't on facebook (in fact, I encourage it). I just don't want them publicly listed. Yes, it's "soft" privacy and it's exactly the level needed.

Count me as another person who is shocked to see vimeo so far behind youtube on this one. Especially given that they make it available to PRO users. At this point, you seem to just be trying to hit me up for $200/year instead of $60/year. That's not going to happen. In a year, I'm going to re-evaluate my options and probably take my business elsewhere.

m ev

m ev

Will you be implementing private videos for Plus users? I've got a week left on my Plus subscription. I absolutely will not be renewing without this feature.

m ev

m ev

Thanks for the quick response. I had hoped that after 10 months of consideration and a thread full of plus users that have requested this feature, Vimeo would be able to come to a conclusion. I've come to my conclusion, and won't be renewing.

Leo Macias

Leo Macias

I can't believe it's been this long and Plus users still don't have an unlisted feature that doesn't require a password etc.

I do fun stuff on the side that I don't want in my portfolio and am forced to use youtube and other workarounds...renewing my subscription when that time comes is getting less interesting every time I have this problem and need that isn't being satisfied. I mean seriously, it's so basic.

Bryan Kolpa

Bryan Kolpa

This is the only feature I was interested in, and as youtube has it, Im going there. My tumblr is already pw protected, I dont need friends and family to jump through hoops

Alexander Eriksson

Alexander Eriksson

This is ridiculous, I was planning to be hosting my showreel on Vimeo when I apply for jobs since Vimeo seemed like one of the most serious video communities on the net. I just need to host a single video that I can send out as a private link in my job applications and Vimeo wants to charge me 200 dollars for this feature. I don't need all the other stuff in the Pro package, I just need that feature since I'm a single guy and not a big business. What is the argument for not having that feature in the Plus package? I'm taking my business elsewhere...

topsyturvy

topsyturvy

Hello,

I have a suggestion. Try using Kinkast. I have been using it to privately share my videos to friends and colleagues. They have an Iphone app or a website that has cool features. You can splice and edit videos on the go using your iphone. Also, It lets you save on the cloud in case you have no internet and will automatically update once the internet resumes.

Kristl

Kristl Plus

Can I embed videos into a wordpress blog with Kincast?

Grey Area Productions

Grey Area Productions Plus

Can you please make this simple option available? Why wouldn't you? People are asking for it. It doesn't mean it has to be the default but if people want that as an option why wouldn't you do so? Frustrating not being able to have a simple link only option.

Rubytech

Rubytech PRO

I currently cannot give my customers a hidden video... I don't need a password, just hidden, secret. I am a plus user, but this feature is not available...
Seems so simple to implement, no risk for vimeo, why not have it ?
Now I often tell my customers "the password is empty". And then they write: It doesn't work, of course it turns out because they typed "empty"...
Looks unprofessional.

Lautaro Gabriel Gonda

Lautaro Gabriel Gonda Plus

I'd like to add my voice to the request for "soft privacy". It would be very useful to me and it also sounds kinda naughty.

Hani AbuGhazaleh

Hani AbuGhazaleh

Yup - I'm another Vimeo user that would love to see this feature. Seems basic enough of a feature to add, no?

Kristl

Kristl Plus

Last reply by staff was 4 months ago, just looking for an update from those in the know. When can the rest of us expect to be able to have unlisted videos. I'd like to post baby videos to my family, but making them type a password isn't a workable solution. To be clear, if I give a link to my video (or album) I want them to be able to see it and all my other videos without jumping through any other hoops. BUT I don't want my videos to be indexed by vimeo or google and come up when someone searches for 'first steps'. Currently I can show them on my website, but when someone clicks on the link to the video all they see is the "This is a private video, do you have permission to watch this video ..." Also, no one can 'like' the video because it says they have to log-on to Vimeo first. All of my videos are set to "hide from Vimeo.com".

I think the inability to have this soft privacy option turns people away from your site. If my friends and family click to go see my video and they get a blank page they are just going to close the tab, but if they click, see the video, then they might click around some more and see other videos on Vimeo.

Again, I'm looking for a staff update here with useful information about whether this unlisted video feature is coming anytime in the near future. Are you talking about it? Have you decided against it? What's the deal?

m ev

m ev

I let my plus membership lapse specifically because of this issue. I would probably restart my plus membership if this feature is implemented, but will definitely not be giving them any more money until it is.

I hope the staff finds the time to respond to this, but it looks like they're deaf, dumb and blind on this one. Bummer.

Greg Mattes

Greg Mattes

Soxiam, what happened to the top of your head? Please stop saying "It's something we are considering", and keep up with the competition. Sheesh!

Roy Mudie

Roy Mudie

Another plus user desperate for this!

Signed up thinking it would be an option. Obviously didn't read the fine print...

What I'd really like to see though is the ability to have a private group that people can request to join rather than having to invite every new person personally!

Lewis Whyld

Lewis Whyld

I'm shocked this isn't a feature, I use vimeo for hosting some of my war-photography and videos, I have some boxing videos Ive shot for a boxing club that I want to pass them the link to without having all of them publicly visible on my page. This is a basic feature people have been requesting for over a year, and is freely available on youtube.

The Pierces

The Pierces

There was a more recent reply on the other thread:
vimeo.com/forums/topic:29059

That was only TWO months ago. And mainly it was to tell me I should ask for a refund for Plus (which I couldn't because it wasn't within the first 30 days). *eyeroll*

Oh, and they're still considering! They've considered the hell out of this request, all right. It's the most considered feature ever on the internet.

And now they've killed the desktop uploader and redone the entire site. And added all sorts of new privacy features.

Well, except this one that people have been clamoring for an is a no-brainer for their competitors.

*sigh*

Definitely won't be renewing.

The Pierces

The Pierces

Oh, and another great facet of this is that it prevents videos from embedding into a facebook page, unless you make them totally public. Facebook doesn't know how to do password protected videos (nor would I expect it to).

So once again, time to go to youtube if you want to post non-public videos to facebook.

imagesdd

imagesdd Plus

Just signed up for a Plus account. Can't believe you are not able to share a link to a private video without requiring a password. Reviewing the thread it is apparent that Vimeo is not listening to users.

As my young sons would say, EPIC FAIL

Patrick McBride

Patrick McBride

I was also surprised I couldn't do this with my private videos... there are lots of options for privacy, but not the one I want. I see you've been "considering it" for a year now. Is it really THAT big of a consideration to give your paid subscribers a simple feature that they want?

Patrick McBride

Patrick McBride

I just finished uploading a massive video project of mine, got it all sorted into an album... and there is no way for me to share it with those I want to share it with! I don't want it publicly available... I want to just share a hidden album. There is NO way to do it! The only way I can see is to password protect EACH video separately then give out links to each video separately with the password.. . this is absolutely ridiculous. I should be able to set the album as private (with 21 videos in it) and have a single URL I can give out that will let people see and play all the videos from within.

*sigh*

Sean C. Dunn

Sean C. Dunn

It's criminal that you haven't added this functionality yet. Do it.

Titus A. Napirlica

Titus A. Napirlica Plus

Add another user to the list of people who would love this feature. It's been over a year since you've started "considering it," why don't you have it yet? I mean, seriously, we're not asking you to invade North Korea here. It's a simple request that's fairly easy to implement.

m ev

m ev

I keep checking back to this thread hoping that someone from Vimeo has good news to share. No luck. It's perplexing. I would gladly restart my plus membership if only they would implement this simple feature that's standard just about everywhere else.

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

i've been requesting this feature for over a year. I don't understand VIMEO's reluctance to simply have the option include the "viewable by direct link only" (No, I don't want a PRO account just for this feature)

the logic behind "soft privacy" makes no sense to me. As others pointed out, the risk is on the part of the user, not Vimeo.

Let's say that I have a wedding home video that I would like to send out to all friends and family. I would like to email them all the direct link without the additional step of a password. However, I don't really want to make it public either. Obvious solution: Unlisted Video

The only workaround I have found is to add the "private" video to a channel and then send the link to the channel. However, there is now compatibility issues between the new and old vimeo channels due to the / and # symbols in the link.

Witold Baryluk

Witold Baryluk

I was also searching for such option. There is password protection, but I think it is unaccassarly complex. Just making video not appear in user profile, search etc, but still making it accessible (but not easly guessable) using URL will be greate, enough for many people and will make it easier to share with friends.

Josh Clarke

Josh Clarke

This would be a nice feature. You have my vote.

Alexander Swann

Alexander Swann

"Soxiam STAFF 1 year ago
That is why we are considering it as I stated above."

....?.....obviously not! You said that a year ago. Looks like YouTube video has won on this one!

Cade Muhlig

Cade Muhlig

demanding this feature! would use it all the time

rbsoft

rbsoft

I want this function too

Francis Fontaine

Francis Fontaine

+10000000000000000 this feature should have been here years ago!

Siju Murugan

Siju Murugan

Yep for sure need the feature to make it private with out password,
It help to make my video see only people who i chose to and not for the whole world,

MDO

MDO

+1 for this feature

Ryan Geldermann

Ryan Geldermann PRO

Okay so there is a private review page... I can't find anywhere if that means the client can also embed the video on their fb pages and still have it remain unlisted... or if thus feature only exists if people actually go to the vimeo page?

Also, what we REALLY need is an unlisted feature where the client doesn't know that it's unlisted. Some of my videos are better than others and I'd prefer that the general public can only see the good ones. The vimeo staff response to this would be "hey we have just the solution, just send the less-good videos to the clients they belog to, but make them private first! easy!"

No... not easy, if they see that theirs is password protected but most aren't, it's not hard for them to deduce that I don't think their video is good enough to be shown on my account.

Also... really? I already pay a monthly fee, and now you want me to pay even MORE for one of the most basic features that should be included at the free level? Come on guys.

Davide DB

Davide DB Plus

The strange thing about Vimeo is how they strive for appearing as a clever and light company with their light graphic, their cute messages and then they completely miss to listen to their customers. They continuously ask for feedback and then implement features in a obscure way.

Countless requests for this simple feature, several threads, paying customers like me remained unheeded.

I'm not going to renew my plus account without a so simple feature.

Aaron Elsmore

Aaron Elsmore

+1 But only because the share channel feature via email doesn't work (with non members).

MicroChurch Network

MicroChurch Network

We have paid for a year subscription and want to be able to email people a link with a password.

Clint Smith

Clint Smith

I just purchased vimeo plus today, a year subscription, for one reason only... To be able to post a link so my friends can see my video on Facebook. After searching in frustration and just now reading this thread, I suppose the joke was on me :( I honestly don't care if the video link has a thumbnail at this point, just want people to be able to watch the video by clicking on a link and that is all. Seems pretty simple when you look at youtube on facebook or most other privately hosted links. After only one day I am already so disappointed with this vimeo service.

Clint Smith

Clint Smith

I just re-read all of the posts above, but now with a different outlook on things. I am wondering why anyone would need vimeo? If you can't share your videos then what is the point of this? Nobody is going to send their friends vimeo links where they need a password! I can see my friends saying this after the email: "yeah cool video bro". Then me, "did you watch it?" Them again, "ummm yeahhh...kinda but do I have to sign up for something because I need a password". End of story. Point is that I can already watch my own videos anytime I want from windows or quicktime, so this is currently useless to me.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

One does not need to sign up on vimeo to watch password protected videos.

Adam Rice

Adam Rice

+1 add this feature. It is ridiculous to not have the option.

paysbas

paysbas Plus

+1 for the unlisted option. When it is available I will migrate all my videos from Yt to Vimeo.

Andrej Bauer

Andrej Bauer Plus

It is unbelivably stupid of vimeo to lecture us on security. A gazzillion people are asking for a very simple feature, yet you have been igoring us for OVER A YEAR! Shame on you.

Derk Braakman

Derk Braakman

+1 for this feature for me also. Would make a great addition to the service you are offering!

jonas dahl

jonas dahl Plus

Yup. For some Users (i.e. Clients, elder Family members) it's too hard to type Passwords they just want to view the Video.

What's the problem for Vimeo they believe in other matters in the user why they do not add this feature - it should be the on the user's mind how he wants to secure his content!

John O'Rourke

John O'Rourke

I can't believe this feature isn't offered. I'm just thankful that I'm within my 30 day window for a free refund. I'm honestly just in disbelief that Vimeo doesn't offer this-- especially when I'm paying!!! Dissapointed

m ev

m ev

Kevin,

You lost me as a paying Plus member over this. Expecting users to pay $200/year for this basic functionality is insulting.

This thread has been here for 1 year and 8 months. The first comment references similar requests going back 3 years before that. I can only surmise that these comments just aren't being seen by Vimeo management. Is there anywhere else we should be directing our comments? Should we be putting letters in the mail to IAC?

Help us help your company retain paying customers and attract new ones by giving this request the consideration it deserves.

Star Victoria

Star Victoria Plus

Some of us film students use links for our applications but we can't keep passing them a password protected link. Some applications only allow the link and no where to put a password. Paying for a membership to the site, pro or plus should automatically afford you the privilege for this feature. You guys need to rethink your policies, but you wont because you have so many people using vimeo, the little people don't matter. As always is the case with corporate run businesses.

John O'Rourke

John O'Rourke

Why have these request forums if they don't listen, these "unlisted" threads have over 500 requests for this feature and still nothing, good luck getting people to pay 200 for a basic function.

Jason Was Here

Jason Was Here

in this case, Youtube has perfect and eloquent "unlisted" option that allows us to send the URL or Embed as we please. PLEASE implement this on Vimeo. My company has moved over to Vimeo with hopes of having a better than Youtube experience, and so far we have been hit with more roadblocks than expected. Your Private video requiring a list of users is basically, primitive and useless to most people in a fast moving world.

The Pierces

The Pierces

Note the PLUS icon next to my name. It will be gone tomorrow when I let my subscription expire. The ONLY reason I'm letting it expire is this issue.

randy kahn

randy kahn PRO

Am i missing something here, in the my settings/videos there is a spot that says choose embed preset to apply to your videos, doesn't this apply a global setting to all videos. Can i apply a community pass to just certain videos (i am a pro member, but some of my videos are not commercial)

MCWILLIAMS

MCWILLIAMS Plus

Jumping onto the bandwagon here. It's ridiculous that even with a plus account you don't offer the "unlisted" video option. I'm a student who needs to send a private video to schools and festivals who require i send them non-password protected media, but if that same media is made public it would be disqualified from being accepted to many of the festivals. Youtube offers this option for free, on their most basic account.

I love Vimeo. But this is just a non-sensical greedy position to take on a feature that should be standard, at the very least on Plus accounts.

Srinivasan Prasad

Srinivasan Prasad Plus

Vimeo - when can we see this feature implemented? I consciously chose not to use Youtube and love Vimeo in general. This is a must feature for me. This is turning into a big turn off for me as a Plus user. Update please?

Noam Osband

Noam Osband Plus

+1. An unlisted option seems an obvious no brainer and that's the reason why I'm started to post things to Youtube.

LOI Community

LOI Community

+1 for this simple feature. I will not renew my plus membership if we don't get this!

m ev

m ev

It's pretty clear that this is never going to happen. Soxiam, Blake Whitman and other Vimeo staff regularly see these requests and choose to ignore them.

Seems that Vimeo is content to go down in history as the Myspace of streaming video.

Herr Mellin

Herr Mellin

come on this is very easy and very handy. stop considering go and get it done!

Alan Pierson

Alan Pierson

Just joined Vimeo Plus and so bummed that there's no option for this.

Johncm

Johncm

Really?.....As a new user, i'm shocked that Vimeo doesn't have the "unlisted" feature and can only get it by paying 200$/year, especially since it is standard on other sites. I prefer Vimeo and was planning to move here, now I think not. Adios Vimeo, for now anyway.

Michael Koehler

Michael Koehler

+1. This is a basic feature that should not be relegated to PRO users.

The Fulkersons

The Fulkersons

Please duplicate the "Unlisted" option functionality from Youtube. Its not that I want my videos completely private, I just don't want them showing up on searches in Vimeo or Google. I'm surprised at the unwillingness to budge on this initially and now only allowing a convoluted version of it for Pro members. It seems like such a basic feature.

Thanks!

m ev

m ev

Fat chance

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.