Winnie Slep

Winnie Slep

I so far have been checking out the staff pics, some nice stuff and a good guide for a newcomer. I am impressed to see the languages spoken in the comments, however it would be nice to hover over the comments and have them change to ones preferences.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We are looking into internationalization options but no matter what implementation we use, I think the type of dynamic translation you are referring to might be quite difficult to develop. Have you seen a site that does this well?

Winnie Slep

Winnie Slep

Well there are lots of ways to achieve this , one simple way (which is close to what I proposed) was to install this extension for Chrome:

chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/obgoiaeapddkeekbocomnjlckbbfapmk

Then when on say FrenchMozilla (frenchmozilla.fr/) and settings configured to SHIFT+Click I will get the translation with the keyboard combo.

It does work however its an extension, browser specific, requires setting up and is language specific too. But the end result is close.

---
Closer would be from Google themselves who do have on hover auto-conversions but they do not overwrite the text itself, but prefer to provide a pop-up balloon:

translate.google.com/support/

-OR-

translate.google.com/#

...which does not specifically switch text, but could. Its fast anyway.
---
I think this software does it, but on the desktop:

mac.gettranslateit.com/download.shtml

----
This could be useful:

daniweb.com/web-development/javascript-dhtml-ajax/threads/211069

Its hard to find an example working as I described, else I suspect everybody would be doing it. But there are enough examples here pointing to that direction.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I am aware of Google translation services. I'm sure you know this already but there's a huge difference in offloading task like to the client (browser add on, desktop app, etc.) vs. doing it on the fly on the server and I think this is why you don't see a lot of online examples.

Winnie Slep

Winnie Slep

I know all that, but I thought you wanted to see examples of the speed and implementation of the language changing. Obviously I wasn't going to be able to find examples, else everybody would be doing it. But the Chrome extension for one shows something similar to what I was referring to.

Its a big ask for what is presently a small thing, but I think that it won't be that small in the future, arts a mixed crowd.

Why not try examples, like on Red Nose day or April Fools where certain words change to others. Just as a joke, but to see the strain at your end and what people think.

..so in the above sentence the common word "like" would change to "banana".

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.