PaulOsborne

PaulOsborne Plus

Hey guys,

So this strikes me as a no-brainer. A huge portion of your subscribers are indie filmmakers, and most indie filmmakers today self-distribute. That said, you should consider adding VOD to your available options.

Think about it - you already allow filmmakers to host an entire feature on your site, which they can nest onto their website. You let them password protect it to boot. Why not add an option which allows them to charge the viewer? They can set the price - anything from 99 cents on up - and Vimeo takes a percentage. 25%, maybe? Just an option, like password, they could click on.

Vimeo is already hosting the content, so in a sense this is FOUND MONEY for you. The only additional work for your site would be extending the existing billing service for viewers and working out how to pay royalties to the filmmakers. You could even use PayPal for this in a pinch at little to no additional cost.

Right now VOD service providers for filmmakers charge $30 or more per month for hosting. But nearly every filmmaker I know ALREADY has a paid Vimeo account anyway - this would cost them nothing extra, encouraging them to do their own VOD. And Vimeo would basically be able to sit back and rake in their percentage of the VOD income. Because Vimeo is already so widely used by these indie content creators your site would have a serious opportunity to CORNER THE MARKET and become THE go-to provider for indie film VOD.

Put it this way - I would post my feature on Vimeo TODAY if this was available. And then promote it like mad.
P

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

This is a common topic that's been posted numerous times in this forum. In short, yes, we are interested in this space and considering few options for possible integration in the future.

Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

It's been a year since " possible integration in the future". How far away is this future? Is it even a discussion among vimeo staff?

eVERcLIPS

eVERcLIPS

hI ! IS THE FUTURE THERE NOW,?
cause I would like to use VOD on vimeo...

eVERcLIPS

eVERcLIPS

When will you be ready I want to work with it!!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry but we do not comment on the release date of active or future projects. I can share with you however that this is the highest priority project we are currently working on.

A K Nicholas

A K Nicholas

I would love to see VOD come to Vimeo. Hope to hear more about it.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.