JimJak

JimJak

i think this would be hot ...

you copy/paste a vimeo link on your blog, on facebook or wherever; and when then somebody clicks on that link it opens up and fills the whole computer screen, until it stops, then everything goes back to original sizes and the user see again the page with the thumbnail of the video

wouldn't that be cool ...

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry but we don't really agree. I think viewing preference is crucial component in watching videos and we want to respect as much of that as possible (SD/HD, volume level, scaling on/off on full screen play, etc.)

HES

HES

YES!!!

JimJak

JimJak

Thanks for coming back to me. I understand your arguments.
But you could offer the option to set (or not) automatic FullScreen with the preferences set for each video, simply with a check box ... (as with the thunmbnails) I believe that a lot of users would appreciate having that choice ... (well, okay I am wildly guessing here ...)

Anyway, this should have been a constructive wish to make things even better. Us a user I am generally *very happy with Vimeo as it is giving a far better alternative to all the other online services. The things you get for free are amazing and so is your strategy for keeping the quality up (for everything: design, content, functionality usability et al). kudos.
-- JJ

keith

keith Plus

JimJak, What is wrong with the full screen button that already exists in the player?

JimJak

JimJak

Keith, are you from the team?

nothing, wrong with that; I just suggest a settings setting from that you can choose that the video is opened at fullscreen. without any further user interaction ... not so hard to understand, is it?

can this be done?

Valtech A/S

Valtech A/S

I can see the merit for this feature as well. Right now we are doing a webapp for the iPad, and im making a video overview page with small thumbnails and a title for each video. When tapping the thumbnail it would be nice to open up the video in fullscreen.

Now I have to either "play-in-place" if I choose to embed the player itself on the overview page, or I need to make a page specifically for each video with a larger size than on the overview page for the user to be able to click fullscreen.

Valtech A/S

Valtech A/S

I do however see why Vimeo would hesitate implementing this since a video with autoplay set to true would take over the screen on page load... Guess that would be considered hostile if used in the wrong scenarios by ill-willed developers.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Exactly. We see certain things as user's preference in viewing experience and try to honor that as much as possible.

12kino

12kino

as a pro user of vimeo i also like to have my videos shown in fullscreen right from the spot.

c'mon guys. for you it´s just a single code to change and one more option for us customers.

Cruz de Malta

Cruz de Malta

Would you consider allowing this feature only for mobile devices? More specifically for other phones beside the iPhone since it already does that?

I've developed a few mobile websites that have one page for each embedded video and normally our clients expect other devices to work like the iPhone. On the iPhone, the video plays full screen in its native player once the user click on the play button, but that doesn't happen in other devices. I understand that it is a characteristic, not to say limitation, of other phones, but you have to agree that absolutely nobody wants to watch a video in a tiny iframe inside an already tiny screen. So why not go ahead and eliminate that unnecessary click to get it to play full screen? If anything for the sake of consistency on mobile devices...

Phillips House

Phillips House Plus

It's completely ridiculous that I can't send a link to a Vimeo video that automatically opens in full screen. I'm already searching for alternative viewers that offer this option.

Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

Yea, I'm thinking that full screen should be at the option of the sender if you're sending a link. I have some older folks that could benefit since they don't get that you have to click the full screen button. I have to tell them every time. And kids too although they eventually catch on. It ought to be optional.

Mel Roth

Mel Roth

I found this post from JimJak hoping this was an existing option. Having a play fullscreen option would eliminate a lot of work sizing layouts to fit around an embedded video. I'm always trying to maximize the video area on screen anyhow and this this would eliminate the need for fitvid.js, modal pop-ups, and multiple media queries. Like Cruz de Malta pointed out, having it play fullscreen would be more consistent with a device like an iPhone.

Pedr

Pedr

This has nothing to do with viewing preference. It's a matter of allowing flexibility in use. Rather than showing the Vimeo player and asking a viewer to click play, then click fullscreen I would like to show the video titles in a list, and have a viewer click a title to watch in fullscreen. On smaller devices, stacking players on top of one-another is just ridiculous. By not allowing such a simple piece of functionality, you are limiting the potential ways to use Vimeo. It seems to me the decision is based much more on grabbing as much screen space for your brand as possible.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

There's flexibility and there's predictability in player behavior. We don't think it's fair to assume the user expects to have the player go full-screen on-click. We believe that this has very much to do with viewing experience.

Pedr

Pedr

But as a customer, or as someone working for a paying Pro customer, that should be my choice. If doing so would offer a better user-experience in context, then I should be able to do it. Hide it away in the settings and only make it available to Plus and Pro customers, but let us choose how we use it.

Alberto Moro

Alberto Moro

Hi everybody, any update on this topic?
I'd love to be able to play a video in full screen mode as well. If there was a parameter to add to the embedding code would be awesome.
Please let me know if anybody know how to do it, if there's a way.
Maybe some javascript plug-ins?
Thanks.

PRINCIPIA MENTIS GmbH

PRINCIPIA MENTIS GmbH PRO

Has the automatic full screen now arrived? I am using videos rich in graphic detail, our customers are not used to the full screen icon, and this leads to frequent disappointment. To me the absence of this feature is a real usability issue. Thank you for your consideration

Craft Collective

Craft Collective PRO

I remember getting a film link, from a major film production company and it was a youtube link that opened full screen and it really rocked my world. I was instantly watching something distraction free and for a filmmaker trying to wow his clients or investors the option to start full screen would really be a godsend. Please stop embarrassing us with april fool's jokes and start thinking about your customer base. Give us the ability to pimp out a share link, just a little. Please? I would pay 200 more dollars a year for this option. Call it a pimp pro account or whatever you want. Just hook us up.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Are you sure it wasn't a page that had the embedded video that was stretched to fit the browser size?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

You can use the URL from our embed codes to link a user to the "video" which will load the player in the entire browser window. We don't officially support this so I can't say whether it will work all the time.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.