Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

Aside from unchecking the option to allow downloading, we don't really offer any other type of protection. Keep in mind this is pretty secure as it stands, however anything put on the web comes with the inherent risk of it being taken. We take the same precautions as the majority of websites serving similar functions.

Sorry we couldn't provide more of a definitive answer, but if you are genuinely concerned with the security of your videos we'd suggest you do not upload them to any online outlet.

S E

S E PRO

I am a new subscriber to vimeo pro and love the player, subscription value, and interface, but just discovered from one of my customers that it is almost trivial to download protected content from Vimeo using the DownloadHelper extension for firefox (addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/).

I tested it on one of my embedded vimeo videos, and sure enough, it is as easy as right click and download to disk. Two minutes, and the full MP4 was saved on my drive. There seems to be no security at all - my videos could appear as a torrent tomorrow if someone was so inclined.

Is there anyway to stop this kind of thing from happening so easily? It is shocking that a couple clicks with a well known plugin and all the security of embed codes and the approved site list is completely bypassed.

thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry but we can't prevent 3rd party apps from accessing those files. As a general rule, if it's in the internet, it can be stolen.

Perspectives Study Program

Perspectives Study Program Plus

Sign into Vimeo > Goto Video > Settings > Privacy > Mark as Secured, and also select embed domains. Once the embed domains are set, it will not allow anyone to embed the video or display it from the browser unless connecting from the domains specified. So, if you have a page that is secured on your server which loads the vimeo player in iframe, it makes it pretty difficult to get around.

S E

S E PRO

But some things are harder to steal than others.... This is like putting the goods on the sidewalk outside the house and expecting people won't take them.

Is this not a concern for anyone? I would expect a little concern from the other pro subscribers who are probably putting content that has some monetary value to them and their customers online.

My other video provider (the one I was considering leaving for Vimeo) uses RMTP Streaming which affords at least a little protection, i.e the video file can't be saved directly. Could a second delivery option (streaming) be a possibility for pro members in the future?

The security issue is a big thing for me.
thx
scott

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Scott, thanks for the feedback. We'll definitely keep this in mind moving forward.

Wesoła Łapka

Wesoła Łapka PRO

The same here. Our files have some monetary value and I was quite surprised founding out the videos so easy to download. I've been looking for an affordable streaming solution compatible with iOS devices and lack of streaming (for example chopped by 30 sec files) is a huge disadvantage.

John D

John D

If your files have monetary value they shouldn't be anywhere near the internet. Welcome to the new century. As long as ISPs are implementing usage restrictions, users will continue to demand control over their own cache and bandwidth -- from all websites. As they should imo.

OnDemandKorea

OnDemandKorea

I subscribed to Pro just today, playing with the video and embedding, I found something that need to be changed. Because when our vid's direct url is revealed (apparently very easy with chrome's inspect element feature), anyone can copy the vid url with token and use it everywhere since token is not changing. So if someone else plays my video on other site, that play count going to be on my bill even if I chose to lock it under domain restriction (which only applies to embedded videos with vimeo player).
I don't want get billed for what content thieves did.
I think we can reduce this problem by
1. issuing new tokens once in a while - get token by API
2. checking requests against domains (http referrer)
3. don't count plays when my vid is played elsewhere except approved ones
I'm no pro on this, but what you guys think?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I think #2 and #3 are not ideal. Most Plus and PRO users do not use the domain level privacy settings for their embeds.

As for #1, how do you see it working? If the token expires will it just stop working?

Luther

Luther

Soxiam, why offer the domain level privacy if it's not a complete solution? I was planning on signing up for Pro, specifically for the domain level privacy. But, now I see that it is far too easy to bypass that measure and it doesn't seem like Vimeo has a problem with that. You say that #2 and #3 are not ideal but don't mention why. They both seam like reasonable steps for those using domain level privacy.

I'm also surprised to see that the tokens never expire. Yes, I would assume that they expire on a regular basis and that the video stops working once it does expire.

I was hoping to use Pro but these issues are deal breakers for me. I understand that anything on the internet can be stolen, but this makes it far too easy.

PongSports

PongSports

Can vimeo use the "amazon s3" streaming using 'rtmp" to secure the stream ?? amazon s3 is very affordable and pay as you go !!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We do use amazon services but if the truth is that if it's playing inside a player, there will always be apps that can download the video file.

PongSports

PongSports

I've already tried to download video's using {rtmp} with 2 programs that i have that both work differently then each other, and they both failed to do so, the trick is to make it more secure then the laymen is capable of achieving, i'm looking to purchase the pro account but won't because of the security issue, i am now in the works of dealing with all this technical stuff myself even though i dont want to in order to keep costs low !!

Hardin J

Hardin J

I was also about to get Pro, but not if there's no control over downloading which is made so easy. I just want it streamed - hard enough to protect features from piracy. Damn, love Vimeo as well.

Jeremy McLeod

Jeremy McLeod

Seriously, people, the only reason there aren't more tools out there to record RTMP streams is that not many people use RTMP streams. If Vimeo moved to using them, you can bet there would be better tools available within a week or two, and they'd just be right back to downloading your videos. In addition, the web is moving more and more towards HTML5 for video, and RTMP is a step backwards in that process.

I'm a web developer with a BS in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, and I can tell you right now that if someone is truly determined to take your content, they will find a way to do it. As the man said above, if it's on the internet, it can be stolen.

Jeremy Zander

Jeremy Zander

Is this still a problem or was Vimeo able to fix this?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry but as we stated above there's no real measure to prevent the third party apps from stealing the content.

Finn Mad13ej

Finn Mad13ej

I agree with Jeremy. It's the Internet guys. If it's not a controlled download link (ie app store, mp3 store, video store) it's free for the taking. If YouTube and and Vimeo switched over to RTMP, the tools to download them easily would pop up overnight.

If you want to fully protect your content on the Internet, you need to charge before anyone even accesses. And even then, it can be cracked, and torrented.

The point is, as a Vimeo staff member pointed out, if it's on the Internet, it can be stolen. It's your responsibility to be creative and give people an incentive/option to pay for your work. Watermark your web video content, and publish enhanced versions for purchase on a website via digital/disc.

LIGA 01 COMPUTERFILM

LIGA 01 COMPUTERFILM PRO

Hej guys, interesting discussion! I like the point that Finn just made: Watermark your videos. For pro members vimeo provides the option to embed your own logo into any video. So when the video is shared/embeded on another sides, there will be your logo ontop of the video. But here is the problem: When you download that special embeded video, the watermark is gone! So why is there the option to embed a logo anyways?

Sleepers Wake

Sleepers Wake

Fab Dupont's site Puremix manages to prevent downloads using Download Helper. What are they doing that Vimeo's unable to?

Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Plus

The reality is that if someone wants your video bad enough, they can simply screengrab it as it plays. If you post it, it can be obtained. If it's that valuable, don't post it. Have someone come into your office space, sit them down in front of a tv and play it for them.

Ben Tobin

Ben Tobin Plus

Is it possible to block certain sites that steal content? I for instance just found one of my music video films has been stolen through a torrent or something and put on a disgusting site that I am trying to find a way to report and get shut down. I've had to privatize my link. Why on earth do horrible people have to exist in this world, yeesh!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Ben,

If your video is hosted by Vimeo but on another site, we may be able to help. However if the video is being hosted by that other site or another service, you'll need to go through their DMCA process to have it taken down.

Ben Tobin

Ben Tobin Plus

Unfortunately I just see that the video is on this person's link. And a couple people downloaded it. This looks like some weird forum thing and the video was posted on a thread. Some stills were taken and I found a link to download it. I saw that the links died out when I privatized it so they must have been getting to it through Vimeo or maybe talenthouse where the video was featured in a contest. I'm exploring this link to see if it's legitimate or not. It says DMCA.
dmca.com/
I'm just so mad that my video, which was meant to be ethereal and wholesome was posted on such a terrible site. And that I have to lock the video up. It was meant to be seen by people. I can't control who sees it, but I did put that I didn't want it to be downloadable. So this theft and the use of my work in this way just royally pisses me off.

siddhant jain

siddhant jain

Hello Ben, There are securities for enterprises to prevent video downloads. Akamai DRM is the leader in this but it is too costly . You can try vdocipher.com . They use encryption technology to prevent video download. No downloader is able to catch them.

Aprimore Preparatório

Aprimore Preparatório

I tried some apps and I couldn't download protected videos ( With password).
Can I use the API to pass the password field and play the video without ask?
This way can help to prevent the third party apps from stealing the content.
Does anybody tried to download protected videos (with password option enable)?

aomm.tv

aomm.tv PRO

I am also a streaming video service using PRO and I just found out that the videos can be downloaded so easily!!! I charge a subscription fee to my clients, so I can't afford to get the videos downloaded. Please, can you confirm if Vimeo is taking any actions to prevent people downloading our videos? If nothing it's being done, Vimeo is not the service for my business and I will look for a different one. Thank you.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to prevent apps/plugins like DownloadHelper from stealing videos. This is just the nature of online video, and content creation/hosting on the web in general.

siddhant jain

siddhant jain

Hello , There are securities for enterprises to prevent video downloads. Akamai DRM is the leader in this but it is too costly . You can try vdocipher.com . They use some encryption technology to prevent video download. No downloader is able to catch them.

helloeps

helloeps

how about s3flowshield?

Drum Studio

Drum Studio

Hi. Is true that if someone is determined to stole your video, he will be successful one way or another...but the thing is to make it not so easy for him, at least.

I think the only way to protect a video is to personalize it. A video is easy to grab, capture, download it...but it impossible to erase a simple watermark with his name on it...

Solution? Vimeo or other 3rd party soft developer that allow us to add a watermark with the name each customer on it.

Enlace: prot-on.com

Drum Studio

Drum Studio

The system requires that you make a prot-on account with the client name, in order to appear as a watermark on the content you sell to him... an prot-on let you determine what the client can and cant do with the file...

Actually, this platform is active to protect pics, word, xls docs, pdf... with this watermark feature is imposible not to know which client is steeling your content...

Im askimng them for a long time to implement this watermark on videos too...but they dont realize I think the importance of that... so, here it is... just adding a customizable watermark layer over a video allows its creator to have some protection or ID over his content. what do you think about this idea?
I will appreciate your comments

Abdel Lahrach

Abdel Lahrach

Juthawong Naisanguansee: i have wordpress, can i make it work? another thing, i was trying to try your free video protection to see if it's works as the example u did for the paid version, and it didn't work. thanks

Juthawong Naisanguansee

Juthawong Naisanguansee

Well Mr.Abdel . Actually you need a direct link to mp4 files which you need to upgrade to Vimeo Pro Account and Go to setting, Use your own player and get the direct link to mp4 files and paste it to our free system.

Hope this help sir. Thank you

Link: ww2.juthawong.com/defaprotector/

Radu Timis

Radu Timis Plus

Hello Juthawong Naisanguansee!
Does this work with Video Plus also?

bvncvcvsd

bvncvcvsd PRO

Yes they can steal with 3rd party apps. It's a shame. Even secured videos. I bet Wistias videos cannot be stolen/downloaded. So what's the difference and please repair the broken system!

BassGorilla.com

BassGorilla.com PRO

You guys at Vimeo really need to address this. There are clearly other solutions out there offered by companies using S3 and other CDN services. vdocipher.com looks very good and so does S3Media Stream, which works with JW Player and S3. So there is technology available that can fight the thieves, and the fact the Vimeo is dismissing it as something they're not bothering to work on is the reason why I am leaving your service very soon, as a person who has been a PRO user for years. I have a business to protect and Vimeo isn't doing f all about it. Bye.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.