scott-eaton.com

scott-eaton.com PRO

I am a new subscriber to vimeo pro and love the player, subscription value, and interface, but just discovered from one of my customers that it is almost trivial to download protected content from Vimeo using the DownloadHelper extension for firefox (addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/).

I tested it on one of my embedded vimeo videos, and sure enough, it is as easy as right click and download to disk. Two minutes, and the full MP4 was saved on my drive. There seems to be no security at all - my videos could appear as a torrent tomorrow if someone was so inclined.

Is there anyway to stop this kind of thing from happening so easily? It is shocking that a couple clicks with a well known plugin and all the security of embed codes and the approved site list is completely bypassed.

thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry but we can't prevent 3rd party apps from accessing those files. As a general rule, if it's in the internet, it can be stolen.

Perspectives Study Program

Perspectives Study Program PRO

Sign into Vimeo > Goto Video > Settings > Privacy > Mark as Secured, and also select embed domains. Once the embed domains are set, it will not allow anyone to embed the video or display it from the browser unless connecting from the domains specified. So, if you have a page that is secured on your server which loads the vimeo player in iframe, it makes it pretty difficult to get around.

Joe

Joe

This doesn't help and the directions you gave weren't clear

Hi Joe, Please let me know how I can clarify my response above. I would say, as is pointed out in this thread, that there is no way to absolutely guarantee that someone can not use tools to copy a video (even if it is something as crude as recording the screen playing the video). But, by using a combination of password protection from a site domain that you direct people to, and only allowing the video to be viewed via an Iframe from the domain's website (using Vimeo's privacy video settings), I am not sure you can get any greater security. By putting the video iframe behind the domain's user authentication, you control who can access the video. By using Vimeo's security settings, and setting the video to only play on your site's domain (via an IFrame), then even if the person gathers the link of the video and puts it in their own browser, it will not play the video. I hope that helps a little more.

scott-eaton.com

scott-eaton.com PRO

But some things are harder to steal than others.... This is like putting the goods on the sidewalk outside the house and expecting people won't take them.

Is this not a concern for anyone? I would expect a little concern from the other pro subscribers who are probably putting content that has some monetary value to them and their customers online.

My other video provider (the one I was considering leaving for Vimeo) uses RMTP Streaming which affords at least a little protection, i.e the video file can't be saved directly. Could a second delivery option (streaming) be a possibility for pro members in the future?

The security issue is a big thing for me.
thx
scott

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Scott, thanks for the feedback. We'll definitely keep this in mind moving forward.

will verheyden

will verheyden

if some one is "stealing" your content there is a good chance that person wasn't going to pay for it anyway.

Wesoła Łapka

Wesoła Łapka PRO

The same here. Our files have some monetary value and I was quite surprised founding out the videos so easy to download. I've been looking for an affordable streaming solution compatible with iOS devices and lack of streaming (for example chopped by 30 sec files) is a huge disadvantage.

John D

John D

If your files have monetary value they shouldn't be anywhere near the internet. Welcome to the new century. As long as ISPs are implementing usage restrictions, users will continue to demand control over their own cache and bandwidth -- from all websites. As they should imo.

OnDemandKorea

OnDemandKorea PRO

I subscribed to Pro just today, playing with the video and embedding, I found something that need to be changed. Because when our vid's direct url is revealed (apparently very easy with chrome's inspect element feature), anyone can copy the vid url with token and use it everywhere since token is not changing. So if someone else plays my video on other site, that play count going to be on my bill even if I chose to lock it under domain restriction (which only applies to embedded videos with vimeo player).
I don't want get billed for what content thieves did.
I think we can reduce this problem by
1. issuing new tokens once in a while - get token by API
2. checking requests against domains (http referrer)
3. don't count plays when my vid is played elsewhere except approved ones
I'm no pro on this, but what you guys think?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I think #2 and #3 are not ideal. Most Plus and PRO users do not use the domain level privacy settings for their embeds.

As for #1, how do you see it working? If the token expires will it just stop working?

Luther

Luther

Soxiam, why offer the domain level privacy if it's not a complete solution? I was planning on signing up for Pro, specifically for the domain level privacy. But, now I see that it is far too easy to bypass that measure and it doesn't seem like Vimeo has a problem with that. You say that #2 and #3 are not ideal but don't mention why. They both seam like reasonable steps for those using domain level privacy.

I'm also surprised to see that the tokens never expire. Yes, I would assume that they expire on a regular basis and that the video stops working once it does expire.

I was hoping to use Pro but these issues are deal breakers for me. I understand that anything on the internet can be stolen, but this makes it far too easy.

PongSports

PongSports

Can vimeo use the "amazon s3" streaming using 'rtmp" to secure the stream ?? amazon s3 is very affordable and pay as you go !!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We do use amazon services but if the truth is that if it's playing inside a player, there will always be apps that can download the video file.

COA Network

COA Network PRO

Hi Soxiam ,

We will feel happy with your Vimeo if you will provide the solution for below my post.

we are using amazon service for the videos, now we have moved to Amazon to Vimeo. it's good to use vimeo service. here i have a question is
-> we have used RTMP videos for live streaming purpose in amazon, it's working well. but i didn't find any option in Vimeo to the RTMP videos. it's use full auto play the videos in schedule time.

Please provide the solution for the above question.

Thanks

PongSports

PongSports

I've already tried to download video's using {rtmp} with 2 programs that i have that both work differently then each other, and they both failed to do so, the trick is to make it more secure then the laymen is capable of achieving, i'm looking to purchase the pro account but won't because of the security issue, i am now in the works of dealing with all this technical stuff myself even though i dont want to in order to keep costs low !!

Hardin J

Hardin J

I was also about to get Pro, but not if there's no control over downloading which is made so easy. I just want it streamed - hard enough to protect features from piracy. Damn, love Vimeo as well.

Jeremy McLeod

Jeremy McLeod

Seriously, people, the only reason there aren't more tools out there to record RTMP streams is that not many people use RTMP streams. If Vimeo moved to using them, you can bet there would be better tools available within a week or two, and they'd just be right back to downloading your videos. In addition, the web is moving more and more towards HTML5 for video, and RTMP is a step backwards in that process.

I'm a web developer with a BS in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, and I can tell you right now that if someone is truly determined to take your content, they will find a way to do it. As the man said above, if it's on the internet, it can be stolen.

Jeremy Zander

Jeremy Zander

Is this still a problem or was Vimeo able to fix this?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry but as we stated above there's no real measure to prevent the third party apps from stealing the content.

Finn Mad13ej

Finn Mad13ej

I agree with Jeremy. It's the Internet guys. If it's not a controlled download link (ie app store, mp3 store, video store) it's free for the taking. If YouTube and and Vimeo switched over to RTMP, the tools to download them easily would pop up overnight.

If you want to fully protect your content on the Internet, you need to charge before anyone even accesses. And even then, it can be cracked, and torrented.

The point is, as a Vimeo staff member pointed out, if it's on the Internet, it can be stolen. It's your responsibility to be creative and give people an incentive/option to pay for your work. Watermark your web video content, and publish enhanced versions for purchase on a website via digital/disc.

LIGA 01 COMPUTERFILM

LIGA 01 COMPUTERFILM PRO

Hej guys, interesting discussion! I like the point that Finn just made: Watermark your videos. For pro members vimeo provides the option to embed your own logo into any video. So when the video is shared/embeded on another sides, there will be your logo ontop of the video. But here is the problem: When you download that special embeded video, the watermark is gone! So why is there the option to embed a logo anyways?

Sleepers Wake

Sleepers Wake

Fab Dupont's site Puremix manages to prevent downloads using Download Helper. What are they doing that Vimeo's unable to?

Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Plus

The reality is that if someone wants your video bad enough, they can simply screengrab it as it plays. If you post it, it can be obtained. If it's that valuable, don't post it. Have someone come into your office space, sit them down in front of a tv and play it for them.

Ben Tobin

Ben Tobin Plus

Is it possible to block certain sites that steal content? I for instance just found one of my music video films has been stolen through a torrent or something and put on a disgusting site that I am trying to find a way to report and get shut down. I've had to privatize my link. Why on earth do horrible people have to exist in this world, yeesh!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Ben,

If your video is hosted by Vimeo but on another site, we may be able to help. However if the video is being hosted by that other site or another service, you'll need to go through their DMCA process to have it taken down.

Ben Tobin

Ben Tobin Plus

Unfortunately I just see that the video is on this person's link. And a couple people downloaded it. This looks like some weird forum thing and the video was posted on a thread. Some stills were taken and I found a link to download it. I saw that the links died out when I privatized it so they must have been getting to it through Vimeo or maybe talenthouse where the video was featured in a contest. I'm exploring this link to see if it's legitimate or not. It says DMCA.
dmca.com/
I'm just so mad that my video, which was meant to be ethereal and wholesome was posted on such a terrible site. And that I have to lock the video up. It was meant to be seen by people. I can't control who sees it, but I did put that I didn't want it to be downloadable. So this theft and the use of my work in this way just royally pisses me off.

Aprimore Preparatório

Aprimore Preparatório

I tried some apps and I couldn't download protected videos ( With password).
Can I use the API to pass the password field and play the video without ask?
This way can help to prevent the third party apps from stealing the content.
Does anybody tried to download protected videos (with password option enable)?

aomm.tv

aomm.tv Business

I am also a streaming video service using PRO and I just found out that the videos can be downloaded so easily!!! I charge a subscription fee to my clients, so I can't afford to get the videos downloaded. Please, can you confirm if Vimeo is taking any actions to prevent people downloading our videos? If nothing it's being done, Vimeo is not the service for my business and I will look for a different one. Thank you.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to prevent apps/plugins like DownloadHelper from stealing videos. This is just the nature of online video, and content creation/hosting on the web in general.

helloeps

helloeps

how about s3flowshield?

Drum Studio

Drum Studio

Hi. Is true that if someone is determined to stole your video, he will be successful one way or another...but the thing is to make it not so easy for him, at least.

I think the only way to protect a video is to personalize it. A video is easy to grab, capture, download it...but it impossible to erase a simple watermark with his name on it...

Solution? Vimeo or other 3rd party soft developer that allow us to add a watermark with the name each customer on it.

Enlace: prot-on.com

Drum Studio

Drum Studio

The system requires that you make a prot-on account with the client name, in order to appear as a watermark on the content you sell to him... an prot-on let you determine what the client can and cant do with the file...

Actually, this platform is active to protect pics, word, xls docs, pdf... with this watermark feature is imposible not to know which client is steeling your content...

Im askimng them for a long time to implement this watermark on videos too...but they dont realize I think the importance of that... so, here it is... just adding a customizable watermark layer over a video allows its creator to have some protection or ID over his content. what do you think about this idea?
I will appreciate your comments

Abdel Lahrach

Abdel Lahrach

Juthawong Naisanguansee: i have wordpress, can i make it work? another thing, i was trying to try your free video protection to see if it's works as the example u did for the paid version, and it didn't work. thanks

Radu Timis

Radu Timis

Hello Juthawong Naisanguansee!
Does this work with Video Plus also?

BassGorilla.com

BassGorilla.com PRO

You guys at Vimeo really need to address this. There are clearly other solutions out there offered by companies using S3 and other CDN services. vdocipher.com looks very good and so does S3Media Stream, which works with JW Player and S3. So there is technology available that can fight the thieves, and the fact the Vimeo is dismissing it as something they're not bothering to work on is the reason why I am leaving your service very soon, as a person who has been a PRO user for years. I have a business to protect and Vimeo isn't doing f all about it. Bye.

Eswar

Eswar

Dear Vimeo,

Whats Happening With you Guys. You people have built great product, that attracted millions of users to use it.

But when this many people are requesting to look on security issues since 3 years. Why you are not even bothering?

See, people will definitely move to other service providers, when they are not getting what they need. I request you people to look at it once. Please don't loose customers. When some one requests for video security don't say some escaping answers.

If the support staff who is looking at this post is not a bloody bafoon f..ker. He will definitely take this request to concerned authorities of vimeo.

AMERICO

AMERICO PRO

You had to return my money their deceivers. This Vimeo sucks. They received my US dollars in exchange for protection but offer no protection. Swindlers. Shut the fuck this shit and take the air. You do not have expertise nor about to have a service of these in the air. And the guy who said he regretted very much. Regrets much is the Cock. Returns my money motherfucker. This service Vimeo sucks. How can someone without difficulty download the videos so easily. Your swindlers sons of bitches.

Link: vimeo.com/forums/topic:46412

AMERICO

AMERICO PRO

low there a video of the Brightcove video cloud. Try your messy eaters. Go there. See if you can with ease. His shit. I want my money back. Sons of bitches. Swindlers.

AMERICO

AMERICO PRO

Matt Schwarz you're a big motherfucker to say it. I paid to have protection. Then tells everyone that this shit does not offer any protection. Swindler is what you are. And you are very, very much, a son of a bitch.
I want my money back, to never get into this shit site of you or me deem the security they promised their gay sons of bitches.

Running Time

Running Time

I am sick of seeing my work stolen and used in demos, or else even for commercial use!
when you guys will secure contents in vimeo pro then I'll go for vimeo pro.
Get rid of that dl button for good!So many users are asking for it why don't you hear that request?

JIM MURNAK

JIM MURNAK

I just wasted $59.95 on Plus because I wanted to put up a movie for my cast to see, but I didn't want them to be able to send it to everyone or to even have it in their computer. That could mean that it could end up on you tube or somewhere else. I wish I saw these posts yesterday. They actually have the nerve to have you pick a never downloadable box on the privacy page as if it has any meaning. Don't waste your money if you care about your work.

JIM MURNAK

JIM MURNAK

You would think that Vimeo is going to lose so much money on this that they would put a lot into their protection. But obviously they don't care. It's amazing. They don't even lie and say that they are trying.

David Finkelstein

David Finkelstein Plus

Why don't you just password protect the video. Then, just ask them not to share the password.

Samar Rizvi

Samar Rizvi

Have you all tried the HLS format provided by Vimeo. HLS secures the content, only users can view the content.

Mohamed EL Husseiny

Mohamed EL Husseiny PRO

i had the same issue, i used vimeo plus 3 days ago then discovered they only care about growing their business and don't care about our business, IDM can catch all my videos link and download it, not only this but also if you took the link from IDM software anybody can stream your videos even if you use domain level (restrict your videos to your domain).
the most frustrating is that what they call it advanced stats doesn't count any downloads from third party downloading softwares, so you will be stolen smoothly.
i tried to contact them twice, both of them they send me the same messages like you talk to robots??!!
i asked for a refund because this is not what i paid for but no answer from them when it's related to refund

Stephan Haidacher

Stephan Haidacher Plus

what you guys fail to realize, is that every browser completely downloads the mp4 during the stream... so even if some tools get blocked (if that's even possible), you could easily go into your local cache folder on your drive, search for the newest and biggest file, copy and rename it to blabla.mp4 and there you go.

I don't think vimeo can do anything to stop this, except of using a custom and not disclosed video format which can't be played anywhere else... (but even then you can bet someone hacks it in the first hours and writes a converter, so this battle can't be won)

FocusPulling (.com)

FocusPulling (.com)

I'm sort of dumbfounded by this long and unresolved debate, seeing that, on the one hand, Vimeo is evasive as usual (and slow to act); while on the other hand, folks purporting expertise say definitively that anything streaming on the Internet is easily downloadable.

Hulu clips can be embedded anywhere. My challenge to all of you: go ahead and explain the easy steps for anyone to download a Hulu clip.

If you can't come up with that (you can't), the question to Vimeo is: what are we waiting for?

Link: ehow.com/info_12150873_can-embed-hulu-videos-site.html

Clayton Broomes Jr

Clayton Broomes Jr Plus

My concern about the downloading of videos is a lot more obvious. Under Privacy, when I uncheck "Download the video" in the "What can people do with this video?" section, isn't that supposed to at least eliminate the Download option? It doesn't. I don't even need a log in. I could just go to the link of my video, the video I unchecked "Download the video," and the "Download" button is still there. Anyone can still download my video from anywhere. Why have the ability to uncheck the "Download the video" option but still allow people from anywhere to download? Vimeo is the only website I have ever experienced with this problem.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

This sounds like a bug, and is definitely unintended behavior.

We’d like to do some in-depth troubleshooting with you to see if we can get to the bottom of this. I’m going to move this conversation to email and assign your case to a technical support specialist. Please hang tight – we’ll be in touch soon. (We’ll use the primary email address associated with your Vimeo account.) 

rOb A

rOb A

None of this matters, even if you have the most secure software known to man. Freeware screen cap programs are a dime a dozen. You can never stop a "recording" of whatever is on screen.

Spare Wheel Productions

Spare Wheel Productions PRO

I 'upgraded' to PRO a few weeks ago and am shocked to see one of my videos I produced for a client now on YouTube without our or the client's permission. Yes, I will get YouTube to take it down under their Take Down Notice, but I am shocked to find out how easy it was for these people to use my video to promote their business on the back of it. Not only that, I have VO content and it violates my VO agreement with voice over artist. Also, I have now lost all control over the quality of my video as the version on Youtube is a copy of a copy of a compressed mp4 file - not happy about this.

If Vimeo don't offer an option to disable file access, I will not be renewing my membership next time around.

Marocopedia

Marocopedia Plus

So as a conclusion there is no way to protect our work .... i hide all the videos from vimeo limit the view only on my website with the minimum option possible and still there two videos on youtube..... vimeo has no solution for this ... FOR REAL!!!!

francoe

francoe

Who the fuck will wanna steal your videos? Are you uploading copyrighted movies or what?
What kind of material is susceptible of being 'stolen'? Anything played can be recorded, so if you're part of NSA, please don't put your work on internet.

Jim Althoff

Jim Althoff PRO

From what I read, if I put up a video of a graduation that I shoot, there's no way I can keep folks getting it for free? How about using a password? Any deterrent with that?

John Buxton

John Buxton

Anybody with the password will be able to access the video and download it for viewing, whether they can create a file depends on their skill set.

John Buxton

John Buxton

This is an interesting discussion but I wonder how many people have read and thought about the prior answers.

Protection has to be looked at with the knowledge that everything that you see in a web browser has been downloaded to your computer before you see it.
Once it is on your computer it can be obtained from the browser cache.

If you are going to let people see a video using their web browser then any application that can mimic a web browser can access the same content and save it to a file instead of sending it to the viewing plugin.

You might say that if you encrypt the video or use a format that is not known by the video player plugins that would help. Not a lot because you will have to provide a player that will decrypt the file and play the resultant video. Once that player is distributed it will be reverse engineered and software built that will download the videos.

Jim Althoff

Jim Althoff PRO

Thank you Riblit for your reply . . .though it did give me a headache:-). I don't expect my audience would have the expertise or will to do me out of earned income for a graduation or some other special event, I'm not quite a Spielberg yet, but it's something that I'll certainly take into consideration in other cases.

Your response would also seem to answer some of the strongly (some with a lot of expletives) worded opinions about Vimeo. As you point out, if it can be viewed on the computer, it's somewhere to be had given the relative expertise of the viewer, so I'd guess that Vimeo is as a good an option as anything. Again, thanks.

Jim

John Buxton

John Buxton

Jim, I've seen these questions raised time and time again in various user forums in the photography world. I spent some time in stock photography and the same issues raise their head there. It's a compromise between how large an image to show without having it ripped off and should it be watermarked or not. Most stock sites will show a small watermarked image and not let the full resolution versions out before payment.

Video has its own set of problems, if you show a small size, low bitrate video the quality suffers and you could lose sales, increase the bitrate and size and run the risk of it being used without payment.

Its usually those without knowledge of how the web works that are the most vocal in insisting that a hosting service stop people downloading. A lot that I have spoken to were unaware the a web browser has to download the data (text, video, audio, images) before it can display it.

No matter what is tried, someone, somewhere, will find a way around it.

Back to Jerusalem

Back to Jerusalem Plus

It semms like now there is segmenting that happens of longer videos? I tried a download script to see how it works and it wouldn't work for an hour long video, but split them into many short pieces. That seems like it would prevent most folks
video i tried was vimeo.com/150235168

Iceventure

Iceventure

my question with the above discussion:

I understand from the post here that embedded videos can be downloaded. Then many mention the pro or plus membership. But it is not specified if the videos are for sale or just hosted on vimeo.

What I need to know is if this holds also true for VOD videos sold over Vimeo or do you then apply a different more secure technology?

Gerald Davenport • Aria Pictures

Gerald Davenport • Aria Pictures Plus

Youtube, vimeo, and other service you can host video's or photos on, can and will be downloaded no matter what security and protection you think they give you. I know, I have tested many of them for my own knowledge and there is nothing that I could not get some way or another.

Here is the rub, a dvd or blu-ray disk can be ripped, a file on the internet is easy to grab, therefore the only protection you have is to invite people over to see your stuff that you play on your device that no one has access to. 1 copy, your copy, boom. Kind of silly actually.

Even if you have a contract / permission / NDA form they sign, it can get into the wrong hands after a few years and it's all over the internet.

Keep in mind though LOCKS ARE FOR HONEST PEOPLE. if someone wants to get in, they will get in, the internet is no different.

Victor Yang

Victor Yang Plus

Sure, you can't prevent people from downloading your videos if they are determined but what about just preventing people who are not determined?

I remember installing a plugin to download videos but it doesn't work when downloading google hangout videos and you'll end up getting a video file with no sound and an mp3 file. I think that's a good enough solution for most people. Of course if people are so determined, they can go ahead mixing the video with the sound together to get the video restored but that's lots of work and time consuming.

For people who have over a hundred videos hosted, that's tremendous amount of work to download your videos.

People may also opt for screen recording, but this is also way more time consuming than just downloading your video and if this is the only way to download your videos, then this will prevent most people from downloading.

The concept is not to prevent everyone but to make it hard enough for most people.

Carlos Salinas

Carlos Salinas Plus

This is a disturbing (5 year old!) thread. It becomes clear from some of the posts that there is no way to protect a video from being downloaded. Nor do i see any evidence of evolution or attempt by VImeo to address this issue. Given that Vimeo staff seem to endorse/agree with the notion that it is impossible to prevent a video from being downloaded, why does Vimeo offer the "prevent download" option in the first place? This was one of the "benefits" that drew me to Vimeo. Now i find that, no, there is no way to protect the video. Sounds to me like deceptive marketing practices by Vimeo, if not borderline fraud. I hope someone can dissuade me of that notion. And how is it possible that no solution has been offered by Vimeo to make downloading "hard enough for most people" as Victor Yang suggested above?

Phillips Brooks School

Phillips Brooks School PRO

How does Hulu and Netflix protect their video's from getting downloaded? iSkysoft iTube Studio for example can download anything you see and hear from most streaming services but it doesn't work on Hulu or Netflix. Yes they have a screen capture component as well but that's unavoidable and a LOT MORE work then just a simple download. How can we replicate what Hulu and Netflix do for our video's?

nzb

nzb Plus

They use RTMP. Simple as that.

Mike C

Mike C

So if that's the case, can't Vimeo implement it too to prevent people from (easily) downloading the video?

Cant they Use RTMP Protection Too ?

Jack de Jong

Jack de Jong

all you see on your pc is downloaded anyway, if you wanna protect your video etc. don't put it on the internet. It is not stealing at all, all i can see on my pc is mine, long live the free internet.

I think the constructive side of this conversation is how to protect video on demand to the greatest extent. It is always true that someone at the very minimum could use a video capture utility to capture the video. I have found that the privacy settings in Sign-in Profile Icon > Videos > Select Video Desired > Settings Gear > Privacy > Who can view this video? Hide Video from Vimeo.com & Where can this video be embedded? [Enter Domain Names for Site to Embed Video On] & What can people do with this video? [Uncheck Download] - to work fairly well in the past.

This worked fine with the depreciated Flash embed code (search for old embed code): miracletutorials.com/howto-embed-vimeo/

With the new HTML5 embed code, it is too easy to find the CDN link (view frame source), and the CDN link can be used by a different ip-address and reverse DNS name than those entered in the video security section. It also allows a person to download a copy from the CDN source (even if download is unchecked).

I did confirm from Vimeo today that the CDN link(s) do expire after an hour.

I did suggest the following to Vimeo to help strengthen their security of video on demand:

- Include an option in the privacy page for "Require IP Address Confirmation of Client Before Vimeo Allows Playback", and that if this option is checked, that it pulls the ip-address of the client requesting the video and include it in the Hash to create the Token. On the verification of the token, it should again pull the ip-address of the client and use it in the hash to verify the Token being used. Since the first check (for an embeded video using the iframe embed code) would use the ip-address of the server using the embed code, it would prevent anyone else from using that token. I believe either Wowza or Opencast are good examples to see how their SecureTokens work.

- Implement a functionality to do a reverse lookup on the ip-address of the client requesting play-back and determine if the ip-address is listed in the domain restrictions in the video privacy. If it has a reverse DNS name, and that name is not on the domain restrictions list, that it does not allow playback using either the Vimeo playback link, OR the cdn link(s).

I do recognize that the following is still not as secure as a streaming engine and RTMP, or a Digital Rights Management service for video on demand, but I think it would be very helpful in closing a gap in Vimeo security, and preventing users from downloading or accessing video content that has been set to be secured in the privacy section using the domain embed security settings.

If you agree, please let Vimeo support know of your support of the above two changes.

Link: miracletutorials.com/howto-embed-vimeo/

<object width=”500″ height=”281″><param name=”allowfullscreen” value=”true” /><param name=”allowscriptaccess” value=”always” /><param name=”movie” value=”http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=[Video ID Here]&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1″ /><embed src=”http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=[Video ID Here]&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1″ type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” width=”500″ height=”281″></embed></object>

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.