Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

SD videos are now displayed at 480px tall instead of being scaled to fit the page width as it was when we initially launched our redesign. If you have questions about the quality of your videos and how to make them look great, please contact us: vimeo.com/help

treacle

treacle

As a standard Vimeo user the new look Vimeo has one downfall. Most of my videos are not HD. This didn't matter much before as the viewing window was relatively small, but now it does! Some are looking a bit grainy. Is there a way of choosing a layout for videos so that visitors view them in a smaller size viewer, rather than the full-width viewer currently fitted as a universal standard? This could be a very important option.
Thanks!
Kaspar

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Thanks for your comment. We've had mixed feedback on how we display the SD videos in the new clip page. We will keep your suggestions in mind and think about ways to make some improvements as we continue to iterate on our new vimeo design.

Marcus Chun

Marcus Chun PRO

treacle is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT on this. PLEASE use a smaller screen as the default, and include options for viewers. You guys should know better - look at Youtube fer Chrissakes!

Michael DeGrazier

Michael DeGrazier Plus

I second this. Actually I 200th this, considering everyone else has already complained. Are you listening Vimeo designers? Huh? Because you're not doing a damn thing about it.
I'm currently exploring other video hosting options because of this very issue. And I can guarantee I'll never fork over money to be a plus member here again. I'm sick of the changes that make this site worse.

WØRKFLØW

WØRKFLØW Plus

"PLEASE use a smaller screen as the default, and include options for viewers. You guys should know better - look at Youtube fer Chrissakes!"
-> D'ACCORD !!!

BmmB

BmmB

Even HD looks a little bad ...... Please bring back smaller viewer windows or let us be able to choose what size we want.

Mariano Gila

Mariano Gila

I think the same and the thumbnails look bad

Tim Nicholson

Tim Nicholson

Agreed. Please, smaller viewer window or customisable window size! My SD videos now look crap. I really don't want to pull them from Vimeo, I love the supportive community feel, but will have to if there are no options for optimising display. Thanks

TremensS

TremensS Plus

+1
Great to have this full width display without having to go full screen, but this should remain an option and not default.
Plus it's (was) cool to have metadata in sight in a sidebar, so you can read them while watching without having to scroll down!

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Agree strongly with all - esp. TremensS - It *is* great to have a large (but not humongous!) video viewing window, but there are still many who will use SD and even more old-fashioned image quality (for example, making remixes of photographs and older - or downright OLD! - footage...) -

Smaller window and stats immediately viewable, please!

Kelly Green

Kelly Green PRO

Agreed, as my videos don't fit on page as designed. I also haven't gotten a response from the help forum.
Would love it if they would respond to us...................PLEASE WE NEED HELP!!!!!!

Bill Drummer

Bill Drummer Plus

I encode my SD videos at 640 x 480, and all the other recommended specs. Then Vimeo plays them at 960 x 720, which looks horrible. I'm paying for Vimeo Plus, but my videos look better on YouTube for free. Please give us the option to show our videos in their native resolution!

Lara Scott

Lara Scott

I had that issue too and switched to encoding at NTSC 720 x 480. I got a warning that I didn't have square pixels, and my video might appear stretched, but the square pixels were the problem in the first place. Giant, boxy squares in every fade. The NTSC 720 x 480 did fix that, and I'm just ignoring the warning.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

I would have to agree too. Yesterday, the old Vimeo design was back and I uploaded a new video and woke up this morning to find that it has gone back to the horrible stretched design!

I specifically designed my videos to look neat and tidy and crisp with Vimeo. Stretching the videos, as a lot of people agree, distorts the image and makes it look a mess!

Listen to the masses and return it to the old design OR bring in an option!

photomatonchic.com

photomatonchic.com

You tried to fix something that wasn't broken, bring the option to see smaller videos on screen!

photomatonchic.com

photomatonchic.com

bigger videos require bigger computers to edit, larger bandwidth, more time, energy... the list is endless. Bigger is better is SO last century!

AndrewRU

AndrewRU

Most videos aren't compressed for higher screen-scale viewing. The current half-full screen view is such a mistake. All I can see in every video is just noise and grain, quality loss, weird distortion...

Kelly Green

Kelly Green PRO

Why is it we don't get any response to this????
I posted on uploading help page and it was deleted and no response.......

AleG

AleG

This is not so good, specially considering some of my videos have been down sampled from HD to SD for no apparent reason.

Saul Metzstein

Saul Metzstein Plus

I would definitely like the option of showing my SD videos in their native format - showing them on HD looks really bad.

I like using Vimeo, but does anyone have a suggestion for where I can upload my SD videos for good web playback? (I hope this question doesn't break forum rules...)

Sebastien Boulange

Sebastien Boulange Plus

Completely agree, there should be an option when you upload your video of how you would like it displayed. The big viewing size is a good idea, and I understand the need for congruity throughout the site, but resizing and pixelating many users videos to achieve this affect is NOT the way to do it! Compressing and resizing users videos is a serious issue for a video sharing website!

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

+1
I hate this BIG player:
1) I most of the times watch videos in SD while they load faster. Only few I switch to HD.
2) I really miss all the data, or column of videos next to player (at side).

New Vimeo is all about jumping up and down and scrolling somewhere. (It has a lot of good features, to) but

- screen jumps for accesing MENU, instead of being overlayed (WHY?). Simple dropdown menu where option was aligned below each menu option was way better (is a standard), but even this menu could be ok, if would show OVER and go hide after being pressed. I'm a website developer by my profession and I put great effords that pages DO NOT jump or flash because it is distractive to user. You did that on purpose...

- screen jumps again for "more videos", and you must go up and down for every new video of a user. It's like 2001 design...

- and bigger player is no use. Even before there was more option to show player, while one was to have one big player on the middle. Was still better to have option. I have 1280 screen so I always look full screen if I want HD.

Amy Nokinsky

Amy Nokinsky

Please bring back the smaller viewing sizes! My videos aren't in HD and they look absolutely awful.

Doné Family

Doné Family

Another vote to bring back the smaller viewing size. Letting us choose based on each video we upload would be AWESOME!!! thanks vimeo.

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

On my 13" Macbook the HD videos are displayed at about 960x540. However, the 4:3 videos are displayed even LARGER which is ironic because they are only standard definition. In fact, the 4:3 videos are too big to even fit on my laptop screen as they are enlarged to 960x700.

(note- I determined these pixel dimensions by taking screen shots and cropping in photoshop)

If you could look into displaying them at their actual size of 640x480 that would be great. Thanks!

PS- Although I tend to like the BIG SCREEN for HD videos, I agree with everything else that Mihael Tominšek posted above. The new menus are really not an improvement.

René U Valdes

René U Valdes

Would really want an option - to choose, between the new big player, or the old smaller player - for viewing video.....---Althou, Vimeo has a lot of new cool features, this is the only thing that should be looked in to.... Thanks.

Two Headed Snake Productions

Two Headed Snake Productions

Since I use vimeo to maintain optimum quality for my clients, knowing that the majority of my clients will click first rather than full screen a video, this half screen option is killing the SD videos I have uploaded. If vimeo thinks half a screen should be the default obviously that's more than fair, but there should at least be the option not to.

Preuit Holland

Preuit Holland Plus

One more vote for options in display size.

Some of my videos are HD and they look good in the large window but some are older SD productions and they look AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL on Vimeo. This issue is in addition to the crappy-looking "thumbnails" that have me and a lot of other people complaining. If you have to maintain a large window design across the site (which makes some sense), at least let me upload a decent image for the masthead when the native video size is smaller, and then play the frigging video in the format it was meant to be seen in. Thanks.

AleG

AleG

This is also a problem for people that choose to view HD videos in SD for bandwidth constrains.
Specially since, maybe it's just me and my friends, Vimeo tends to be rather slow to load videos. Many times I've had to tell friends to switch off HD when they tell me they just can't play the video I shared with them.
And of course there are computers that can't handle full HD very well, my netbook for example can't play it smoothly.

If someone want's to fill their screen with a video there has always been the full screen mode, but there's no option to see lower resolution videos in their native resolution, thus ending up looking pixelated and smudged.

It seems so ill thought to create this problems, for a misguided attitude of "form trumps functionality". It really is an example of that, between having a flexible video frame size that would let the videos (which are what this *is* all about) look their best or make the layout remain intact... layout wins, video quality is secondary.

G Telci

G Telci

what the hell were you guys thinking with this new size?!

Artiste

Artiste

Bigger titties! No?

Stefan Knorr

Stefan Knorr

Completely unannounced my videos crafted for 640 display are being displayed to everyone at 1280 (i.e. all pixelated and horrible looking) - without my consent. And other than deleting my account I can do nothing??

that's NOT what I signed up with Vimeo for

This is terrible - and epidemic - first google plus took away picasa web control from the user (now FINALLY restored again) and now Vimeo...
What is going on??
There is a simple rule here that is being completely ignored:

*do NOT take control away from the user*

especially unannounced

people want choice, not dictatorship (it's written all over the history of mankind!)

Vimeo, please restore user controls!

David Finkelstein

David Finkelstein Plus

OK, one more person agreeing. My SD videos look terrible at the big size. Forcing all videos to be at this huge size is a bad idea; it doesn't even look good in the window.

N Anghel

N Anghel

My widescreen SD videos are encoded at 640 x 352 and they look pixelated in the big output window. Vimeo support, please offer the smaller output window for SD video.

Wes Powell

Wes Powell

Bring back smaller view size!

Pllluuuuueeeeaaaassseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adri Berger

Adri Berger Plus

Yes please bring back the previous view size with options for those who like the larger versions.
I find it most alarming that for the people who pay for the upgrades are not given any choices and were warned before hand. I am on a standard so have to accept whatever you have on offer but to not consult with your grass roots first is not showing enormous respect for the people putting lots of effort into making films and supporting Vimeo by uploading them.
Hope you will start the changes for the better soon!

Daniel Taylor

Daniel Taylor

Yes the new window size makes my vids look terrible. Please revert to the original setup.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

So vimeo says it's "a balancing act between what the community is asking for and the direction we see this platform going in. "
Considering that most of the gripes about new vimeo are that the large player size is making their videos look crap I have to ask......Did some part of the Vimeo community that I am not aware of ask for their videos to look crappier or do you see crappier looking videos as "the direction you see this platform going in"?

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

I sound like a stuck record but, bring back the smaller player!

Adam Staffa

Adam Staffa

I'm going to agree with the above statements - the big player is really not a good upgrade. Please fix.

Figurinas

Figurinas

I have the same issue. Most of the projects in 4:3 and the final result is not good at all! Please include a setting so we can customize the size our videos play. Thanks

Artiste

Artiste

Also, it is not sincere of the staff to expect people to entertain these ideas, when they did not explain what was so much better about them in the first place.

Artiste

Artiste

Another thing about what the staff said: "it's a balancing act between what the community is asking for and the direction we see this platform going in. Sometimes those two driving forces lead to the same place, sometimes they don't, sometimes it's a compromise."

Really? A balancing act or compromise would be to make the player resizeable. How simple is that? What is the reason that you are not making it resizeable? Not doing so contradicts what you said, because you are referring to a false compromise, one that was technically unnecessary to begin with. This must not be a technological obstacle, but a marketing strategy, which is being forced against the will of many, who are correct in wanting things to function correctly.

arthur woo

arthur woo Plus

Just wanted to chime in my opinion as well. The original player was nice because it's higher quality than youtube's for SD video, however this has been negated due to the addition of the larger size.

From my perspective, my videos don't look decent in SD anymore, and people who just come to my page to check out some videos aren't necessarily a) people who are know that to see a good quality version they need to click HD or b) people who have a decent enough internet connection to prevent constant buffering for HD.

I can appreciate the fact that there are people who prefer this format, but as a paying member I would prefer what was suggested in other posts - an option to choose a larger or smaller player. Thanks for listening.

Ben Liam Jones

Ben Liam Jones Plus

Please, please, please change this. My videos look horrible! Old Vimeo makes SD look much better.

Nikolas Wandrey

Nikolas Wandrey

I would really support it too if you could at least have the option to show your video in a smaller size. Maybe make it adjustable in the clip settings. My SD videos just don't look as crispy as they should in this big size.

StudioChu

StudioChu

I think the same of all these people.
SD videos looks really bad on this big screen.
VIMEO MUST GIVE THE OPTION OF A SMALL VIEWING SIZE FOR STANDARD VIDEOS ASAP !!!

rollerblading news

rollerblading news

Really the video player is to big. If you watch SD video they look horrible.
I can not watch videos on my older desktop computer because the PC is slower and the player is to big ... if I watch them on my laptop they occupy the whole screen.

So I don't understand way vimeo is so stubborn and don't allow to chose a smaller player...
Is not practical I can not see videos any more !!!

edge-skate.com

edge-skate.com

Yes the videos are to slow on older pc's

And the SD videos look horrible on the big player you can watch my videos as example.
Please do adjustable video size !!!!

Catalin Vancea

Catalin Vancea

SD videos looks not nice with this big player :( and they are very slow.

Example I don't have an account. I search for something, I find a video on vimeo I want to see it, looks horrible because of the new big player / SD or my computer is to weak to see vimeo big videos, I will never open a vimeo video because I will know I can not see videos here :) :(

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

Hi, just piping in here...
another SD video-maker here. the first comments on this thread are from two months ago, with the response that vimeo is "looking into it". any updates? for many of us, the new vimeo is a "downgrade" from what we had before, in terms of quality for the look of our art. for so many of us that rely on this site, it's disheartening that the only thing we're being told is essentially: "too bad - that's the way it is now".

David Finkelstein

David Finkelstein Plus

Hello. It looks like there is now a button on the player where you can choose either "scaling is on" or "scaling is off." It seems that when scaling is off, SD videos are playing in their native size. I am cautiously optimistic. This seems to be a very elegant solution, that allows videos of different sizes to be played in their native size, so that they can look their best.

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

there are two options beneath the video: flash player, and html5 player. when you switch to html5 player, you get that "scale is on" scale is off" option - in the upper right hand corner under "share". i had problems in this mode - the color changed (slightly darker) when i went to the html player....also, it keeps the thumbnail shot from your video, as the "frame" around the smaller sized video, which looks really weird. also - it stutters, and doesn't play smoothly. i went back to flash player. but i dunno, try it - maybe it will work for you.

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

i have standard videos too. the "options" really didn't do anything useful, anyway...
several of my videos look severely trashed now, too.
apparently, a lot of new "features" don't work for some people, depending on how updated your browser is (or what browser you're using) etc. Weird, since it seemed to work so well before.
i dunno. really an unfortunate turn of events.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Seems odd that a Video site selling itself as a place for artists would demand that those artists only produce work within one set of dimensions.
So much for thinking outside the box.

ShovelUp Productions

ShovelUp Productions Plus

I'm all for change, but these changes are very disappointing. My videos look much worse, the player screen is too big, and the cover thumbnails are all distorted. Please give us the option of using the old settings. I was so happy with vimeo the way it was!

Conduit Productions

Conduit Productions Plus

gonna have to move to youtube guys... you need to grant the user frame size control or you are going to lose PLENTY accounts

BerkTenel

BerkTenel

player screen is too big, even hd videos don't look as crisp as before.

Ydraw

Ydraw PRO

I Own Ydraw one of the Top Video Scribing Companies. The bigger player hurts us and is choppy. It just doesn't look good. It looks great on Full screen but for some reason the bigger player does not keep up. It is weird. Have you guys had some bugs?

guten

guten

New Vimeo = :—(

US Antigoon

US Antigoon Plus

Now that I HAVE to watch my videos in the new format.....what happened... they are not that crisp anymore.. Do I have to redo all my 45 videos..
In my old days, Quality of Products and Services was aimed towards Meeting and Exceeding Customer Expectations....I believe something has been missed by the Vimeo Management because they seem to have misread the "Voice of the Customer"... But OK, they can always recover from that mistake by going back to where the customer was satisfied..

Lisa Gloufchis

Lisa Gloufchis

Totally agree, the playback is awful and keeps skipping frames....I didn't work this hard on my videos to have it play back poorly! Please have an option for choosing the default size! Thanks!

Mellow Media

Mellow Media

I know it is hard for you guy's if everybody complain about the video sizing, but I can't understand why you have the button switch to full screen when you chose some bigger video sizing?

LaRose Media

LaRose Media PRO

I agree with all of thee above. I'm not sure how many people need to come in here to comment about being unhappy with the new player size but if I could just get a single straight answer from the staff that would be wonderful. I know your all bombarded by a lot of unhappy people bitching about the new vimeo but I just want to know, will there ever be an option for the smaller player? Is this an option I could find by signing up for a pro account? As of now I've just been embedding my videos into my blog and sending everyone to view them through there since I can control the size of my player on it. It sucks but it works for me at the moment. I wouldn't mind the bigger window if my HD videos looked as great as they did before hand. Are there new compression settings I can change my compressor droplet to, to achieve the look of the old vimeo videos? Thanks for all the help!!

HB

HB PRO

I agree with most comments and I don't think our company will continue to pay for our Pro account. I wish there were more options for viewing the videos.

Spencer Boomhower

Spencer Boomhower

For a while there I got switched back to the old Vimeo, and couldn't have been happier. Getting switched back to the new Vimeo gave me the chance to be shocked all over again at how bad my SD (usually 640x480 or 640x400) videos look all blown up. And how much screen real estate they take from other important screen elements, just to so they can be made uglier.

In general I'm struck by how much the new interface is a step in the awkward direction. For instance, even on a fairly high-resolution screen, I'm doing a lot of scrolling to get to the "save changes" button when uploading.

Sometimes change is a bad idea. Anyone remember "New Coke"?

aaron harvey

aaron harvey Plus

seriously - bring back the smaller size and make the larger an option. how is anyone that works at Vimeo, actually looking at these videos, thinks that the new size / resolution actually looks good? there a spat of blindness going around the offices there?? as people have said - even the HD is looking marginal at best. let the user decide. defeats the entire point of Vimeo if all the vids look like garbage.... i'll definitely cancel my subscription, as will the majority of my friends with the same gripe if the smaller option isn't reinstated.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

Seriously, why are we not getting any feedback from the staff on here and the, 'New Vimeo Feature Requests' thread? Please listen to us guys, and let us show our work how we intended!

Graham Gaunt

Graham Gaunt Plus

I absolutely agree the new size looks wrong it makes everyones work look soft, how come Vimeo staff are not replying to all of those comments above. Shame.

rollerblading news

rollerblading news

+1 !

and you also have a plus account. They get there salary from your money ...

East River Electric

East River Electric Plus

I have to say I don't care for the new look either. You should at least continue to allow the member a choice. The video viewing area stretches beyond my chosen screen resolution, so either a small section of the bottom or the top of the video is cut off. Yes I know I can view in 'full-screen' mode or change the resolution, but that should be my choice. You are making the choice for me. Not cool.

As a member, and the one solely responsible for uploading, along with the smaller viewing area I also miss being able to scroll through my videos (as in the old look).

And because, as Mark notes in another post: "We upscale all videos in New Vimeo on the video page. Sorry!" some sections of my videos are hard to read. For example, I record employee meetings to be viewed by those who couldn't attend. In the course of a video I switch between a camera source and a laptop source (showing a PowerPoint slide show). The slide portions are now more difficult to read in this new, upscaled look. Very disappointing.

I also don't care for the "Private" banner on all my password-protected videos. I can't think of a good reason why you would need this since the viewer has already typed in the password, so they know it's private. And I know it's private because I uploaded the video. Can this be removed? That would be a nice option to add.

Thanks,
Bob

East River Electric

East River Electric Plus

I just noticed the 'scaling is on' / 'scaling is off' button in full-screen mode. That's a weird place to put it, but it helps a bit, though I would still prefer the smaller viewing area with the scrollable video list - as it was before.

Thanks,
Bob

sensi&

sensi&

damn, now I'm stuck with new look and i just hate it! larger view is the worst idea ever! i need to show my private videos to my clients, and now they are looking soft and not good quality.. please, can i switch to old look again????? because i don't see that option anymore!

if you don't change it, i wouldn't renew my PLUS account, because now it's better to upload my videos to youtube (and it's free either!).

Preuit Holland

Preuit Holland Plus

Uh oh! Progress!

I just happened to upload a replacement poster image for one of my videos and it looks fantastic.

Either I did something different or Vimeo has listened to all the carping and upgraded the poster quality. Very happy about that. Now if we can just get a handle on this playback size conundrum. Until then, thanks Vimeo at least for fixing the poster image.

PrimeImage Media

PrimeImage Media PRO

Once again agreeing.... The smaller window size should be the default, with an option for the larger.....

Ben

Benji Durden

Benji Durden

I guess the only choice to keep smaller videos looking good is to embed them at some other site.

Blasst

Blasst Plus

One post from a staff member in this thread..... really need to do something about this guys. The new layout is not getting the job done for viewing videos. :(

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

Thanks Austin. Please share you experience here or send via private message.

Michael Scroggins

Michael Scroggins Plus

Thanks for the alternative Austin. I find in incomprehensible that the Vimeo staff has not responded to several CRUCIAL presentation formatting issues.

I am in the process of uploading digitized SD videos from the seventies and am already taking a quality hit losing half of the vertical resolution to the need to de-interlace for the web. Having the video scale up in the player on the start page is unacceptable. The unscaled full screen mode looks much better. That option should exist for every instance of the player.

I was about to upgrade to PLUS, but am happy I discovered these problems --and the lack of a caring response on the part of the Vimeo staff before doing so. I used to think of Vimeo as a site with the highest quality for artists to present their work. This is apparently no longer true. It is sad to witness the loss of such a great service.

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

Yes, it now has black bars - but I don't like the black bars! Given a choice between the large viewing window, and smaller window with the black sidebars, I'd actually rather go back to the overly large viewing window minus the black bars - I find them very distracting, and ALL of my videos now have the bars. It looked "cleaner" before. There doesn't seem a way around this...I don't understand why that aspect of the "old" vimeo (the option to upload ANY format/aspect ratio of video, and have it display the same way...) could not have been maintained, in this new version of vimeo.

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

also, if you try to make these videos "full screen" it doesn't actually get full screen, but just goes inside a big square of black, on your screen.

alice cohen

alice cohen Plus

Well, my 4:3 videos never had a "stretched" image, when viewed "full screen" before- there would be black side bars, when viewed this way, to maintain the aspect ratio...my point was that now, there is no "full screen" size - the video is viewed in the same frame size as non-full screen - the only difference is, the background behind the video becomes black - the video size doesn't expand at all.

FINER SIDE

FINER SIDE Plus

I also dislike the look of the black bars. Could the video be centered instead? Why not use white bars so they don't distract the viewer?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Rob. We had done some comparison and that solution didn't test very well. One of the issues was that the consistency in spatial orientation of the player user interface elements was lost as you jump from one page to another.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Can none of this be rectified by one very talented coder?
So let me see if I have this right.
Vimeos coders and staff looked at the black bars and said "this looks great! No need to put any more work in here!"
Or was it......
"These black bars look terrible, but then only the minority work in different sizes and it'll cost another 20k to fix so.....screw em"

Antosh

Antosh

Even for HD videos I'd prefer to have the option of a smaller size. It just looks nicer and is easier to watch a lot of the time.

Pietro Reviglio

Pietro Reviglio

Totally agree! My SD videos don't look crisp on the Vimeo new player!! Quality of image and sound is the only thing that REALLY matters when uploading online!! No point in using Vimeo if videos don't play back well enough.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Pietro. The actual aspect ratio of the video itself (and therefore its quality) should be unaffected in the new design. It's just the video player that takes up more width. If you have any examples to the contrary can you share some links?

Mike Rainey

Mike Rainey Plus

I do not understand the reasoning behind your response. Resizing ALWAYS reduces quality. Either your platform is upscaling the video file itself, which reduces quality, or it's being upscaled in display, which would also reduce image quality. The correct ratio of height to width will in no way guarantee the preservation of video quality, nor will it have any bearing on the loss of quality introduced by upscaling. In other words, given the correct aspect ratio, an upscaled video will be of poorer quality than the original-size version for a number of reasons, not the least of which are that compression artifacts will be more visible, and edge contrast will be diminished, appearing to be a lack of focus. Your response is not logical.

LaRose Media

LaRose Media PRO

Are there any other settings I should be aware of with the new size player? I just don't understand how my HD looked so sweet with the smaller player and now it does not look as good, but you say to use the same settings..shouldn't something be switched somewhere so it looks good that large??

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

The actual aspect ratio of the video itself (and therefore its quality) should be unaffected in the new design. Do you have any examples you want us to look at?

k8enright

k8enright

Totally agree, I sometimes watch videos at work and like a small window I can keep in the corner of my screen that leaves most of the space available for my work applications and doesn't let the whole office know I am watching a video and what it is. Won't be doing that anymore on Vimeo. At least offer the option to shrink the viewer size.

marc planas

marc planas Plus

never pay the plus version again.
Vimeo is not answering all the bad reviews of his new version...
i'm looking for alternative video hosting web sites.

Tracy Landon

Tracy Landon

My beef isn't even so much with SD stuff looking bad, although I don't doubt that. It's that I can't really watch anything anymore unless it's embedded. I should get a new computer, that would solve the problem I'm having, but the new player just uses too much processing power which my 6 year old imac doesn't have. As a result, videos lag. Looks like HDV dropouts it's so bad. Even the old HD player didn't do this quite as much for me. Would using it in HTML5 fix this?

Sixth Row

Sixth Row Plus

VIMEO PLEASE listen to the masses. An option to display our videos in a SMALLER video size is a must.

Sixth Row

Sixth Row Plus

2 reason why bigger is not always better:

1. Screen Real Estate. We need to give our clients the option to view videos in a smaller size to enable them to navigate to other parts of their desktop during viewing. This was possible before, it isn't now.

2. Sharpness. Videos that are enlarged in web browsers bring every mpeg4 compression artifact into full glory - hence the complaints of reduced quality. For stunningly sharp, crisp images, the old player had it perfect.

nick whitmire

nick whitmire

Yes, I agree with this. Bigger is NOT better...atleast not for videos that were not created in HD res. Simple as that. There should be an option during upload or settings to control how the video is being viewed.

Scott Ross

Scott Ross Plus

Yes this new big screen thing sucks. The only reason I used Vimeo was the customizable embedding and the superior quality (compared to Youtube, etc.). Now the quality is worse, and it looks like, from the staff response above, they don't care about what their consumers think. Time to look for a new video hosting! Um, ExposureRoom maybe?

Corey Fischer

Corey Fischer Plus

I'm new here. A grant I'm applying for requires work samples be uploaded to vimeo. Because my sample was over 500MB, I bought a plus account (month to month, fortunately). Now my SD sample looks, if not terrible, certainly not something I want to have represent me. I always had heard great things about Vimeo, but this obstinacy in the face of heartfelt distress from loyal users makes me wonder. Has there been a coup? Who owns this town?

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Hi Corey -

There was an overwhelming response to the "New" Vimeo when it was implemented - the majority of those who took the time to post about "New" Vimeo had/have serious aesthetic and practical reasons for wanting the Blue/White Vimeo back again.

One original thread was here: vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:54849 but you'll find that that has been consigned to the dustbin of History - no longer viewable. The successor thread is here: vimeo.com/forums/topic:65418 and it may give you a clearer idea of Vimeo's current approach to page layout, use-ability, and customer/community service.

Emrah TEZER

Emrah TEZER

I m also PRO user of Vimeo for the last 4 years. Because of big size videos I ll NOT extend my membership till vimeo staff find a solution.
Thank you.

Pedro Suarez

Pedro Suarez

Hate the new giant screen. It makes videos look like crap. Please make it optional.

Jake

Jake

I uploaded a 640x360 video and it was displayed at 960 x 540, this doesn't make sense from a quality point of view. It was 640x360 for two reasons: bandwidth and source image quality. To me the rescaled quality is unacceptable (at least as a paying user). I then letterboxed my movie inside a 960x540 canvas and that was crap too. I then uploaded on YouTube instead. This seems a show-stopper to me, it would be great if you could respect lower resolution uploads like you used to do. Thanks, Jake

Lemo

Lemo

Adding my +1 to this, the "fullscreen" button is already there if we want a BIG screen
Or it's your encoding settings that should evolve too
Even with a 720p source file, the playback looks bad in sd mode

David Roberts

David Roberts

agree with all these comments, my vids now look very stretched and would love a way to opt to show SD ones in a smaller format.

Riccardo Rizzo

Riccardo Rizzo Plus

This place is grounded on videos and videomakers.
And what we have here... is a big problem with the way my (our) 640x360 videos are showed to the audience.
With this new viewing size they are stretched & pixelated.
I uploaded all of them way before i'd even know about the upcoming new vimeo look.
I use them often as a professional reference;
if i'm not pleased of how they looks like, sadly for me, i'll be not the only one.
I think it's funny we are all here to showcase video material, and for a lot of us it's happening in a way that it's opposite to the purpose. A sort of paradox.
Just an opinion.

streets

streets

Please bring back the smaller viewing sizes! This is the Internet, not TV.It was already big enough for our videos. Nothing else. Thanks.

NSC Xhanostania

NSC Xhanostania

Please bring back the smaller viewing sizes as soon as possible please.

Primeiro Take

Primeiro Take

Rescaled quality is unacceptable VIMEO, YOUTUBE HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!

Alex Norris

Alex Norris

What I cannot understand about this is that by making all the SD videos on the site look terrible you are making Vimeo look terrible.

The average visitor watches a few SD clips (without realising that what they are watching has effectively been blown up by 200%) and goes away thinking the image quality on Vimeo is pretty sub standard compared to YouTube etc.

Why on earth would you not have one player size for HD and one for SD so that all the videos on the site look as good as they possibly can?

This would make your customers happy, your visitors happy and your reputation happy.

It just makes no sense.

Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn PRO

I agree with all comments here. Vimeo should allow both options... larger screen or the former smaller one. Videos look better on YouTube now!

Benji Durden

Benji Durden

I'm not sure I see any reason to use Vimeo any more since I mostly post SD video. I'll be canceling my account and moving to Yahoo shortly.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

Please, for the sake of our work and clients- bring back the smaller size player. You are isolating a HUGE part of your users/audience.

Adam Staffa

Adam Staffa

Would it be a waste for me to bother saying the same thing as everyone? I understand the bigger viewer being popular, but why not have an option? If YOUTUBE can give the option of showing your stuff in SD or HD, why can't Vimeo? Espcially given that many projects are too large in file size to be streamed over the web without serious compression. Shouldn't it be possible for both formats to exist on this platform?

streets

streets

How strange, nobody ever complained about the old small viewer and Vimeo decided to switch to a bigger ( and horrible) size. Now that you know nobody likes it, why don't you just restore to old format ? Very strange...

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We have answered and addressed some of the issues. We are, for instance, no longer scaling SD videos to fit the player size. For example 640x480 SD videos are shown in its original size inside our player.

Mike Rainey

Mike Rainey Plus

This is not the case on my video pages. My videos rendered and uploaded at 628 x 360 are displaying at 960px wide. Either I am misunderstanding you or you are not correct.

Jonathan Hagos

Jonathan Hagos

@ Soxiam.
This is definitely not the case - I have just uploaded a 640 x 480 SD video and it is still blown up to fit the new viewer.
Please can you confirm exactly how SD videos are shown at their original size in the player.

Dan Shields

Dan Shields Plus

My HD videos play perfectly well when viewed in the smaller window used when I embed them on Facebook/Twitter etc, but they take ages to load and stutter/skip/jump when viewed on the large viewer on my page. I recently spent a lot of time editing a video from a recent stag do with friends, I sent them the link and a few of them said they didn't watch it all as it was stuttering and skipping, I had to suggest they downloaded the video file and played it on their preferred media player. BRING BACK THE SMALLER VIEWER EVEN FOR HD VIDEOS BUT PUT AN OPTION IN tO CHANGE UP TO THE LARGER VIEWER IF NEEDED! I will not be renewing my PLUS account after this first month.

Brett Raney

Brett Raney

With all these peoples concerns about their videos, why isn't there a definitive answer to my question of "will vimeo change back to the original platform, or is this the way it's going to be from now on?" Because if this is the way it's going to be from know on, then a lot of people Worldwide are going to switch to another video-centric social networking site. It sucks, because you guys once ruled. What Happened?!!!!! I personally joined Vimeo 4 years ago, and back then everything about Vimeo was freakin' awesome, even esthetically. Let's go back to 2004, or 2008. Let's just go back.

Tara Sinn

Tara Sinn Plus

Agree with the comment above me. Will you at least tell us if you're going to make the original platform available to us again or is this is how Vimeo will be from now on? I bought a plus membership because I liked the way my videos looked on Vimeo and I liked the features available to plus members, but now standard SD videos have clunky black bars on either side of them, widescreen SD videos scale to larger than your recommended size so they are pixelated and blown out, and the 'upgrade' option is no longer available. Personally, I don't like having my entire browser screen filled up with a video and I don't always have a high speed connection, so playback is often choppy or takes a long time. If we at least had the option to view videos in the older (smaller) player, your new features wouldn't feel so polarizing, since they really only benefit people who upload HD videos and high speed connections. Also, a lot of your solutions to the various bugs happening are to follow compression guidelines, close all programs/tabs, connect via ethernet, etc. The new Vimeo doesn't really seem very user-friendly if I have to adhere to a bunch of conditions just to upload or view a video without having a bunch of problems.

Mike Rainey

Mike Rainey Plus

I have to add my voice to the chorus calling for videos to be displayed by default at their native scaling (or close to it anyway).

Deliberately displaying poor quality video is a disservice to videomakers and viewers, and it harms the perception of Vimeo as a serious delivery platform.

Forcing SD videos to scale up is the kind of incomprehensible decision that tech bloggers cite when discussing in retrospect the preventable causes that have led to the demise of once-promising web-based services.

I have yet to read any plausible support from the staff for the reasoning behind the decision to upscale SD videos. I have also not found anything substantive to indicate that they take the issue seriously or are working on - or interested in working on - a solution.

I was considering upgrading to Pro or Plus, but given the puzzling lack of attention to this issue from the staff, it seems to me that Vimeo isn't all that responsive to issues that a lot of their base considers to be very important. I am quite disappointed, but I hope they are just working quietly on a solution and will present it shortly.

SHAPESHIFTER

SHAPESHIFTER Plus

Not all of us are shooting on RED at 4k, so our videos are going to suffer when blown up. Actually, it's just embarrassing linking a client to a video which looks terrible and stuttery after they have paid a lot of money for it to be produced. Please bring back the smaller window or at least an option for this.

Sean Lantis

Sean Lantis

I have to agree with the feedback above. HD is great option to have, but not having a SD option is just mind boggling to me.

Adding a SD/HD check box would mean the world to a lot of users. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to impliment.

Zig Zag Lane

Zig Zag Lane Plus

I was about to start using Vimeo seriously for work-related material but discovered this terrible forced scaling and all the posts lamenting it. Looks like Vimeo are not listening.

Brandt Bolding

Brandt Bolding Plus

Really?!? "please consider that positive feedback has come to us in other forms" Daniel Hayek. I would like to see perhaps 20 comments containing postive feedback (in any form) from SD users who actually like the pillarboxing. One thing I can expect when I go to a theater...is to never see pillarboxing...but on Vimeo...? I pay for this PRO video service...and frankly this is just bad service!

Nelsonfx

Nelsonfx

add the checkbox for SD HD

Joe Arnold

Joe Arnold

This is not difficult to implement in any way.
Play SD videos at SD size and HD videos at HD size!

It's actually more work to scale the SD videos,
If you scale up SD video you reduce the quality!!!
It is beyond ridiculous that you are doing this!!

Add a checkbox for SD HD!
Or just detect it from the video file.

SIBLING AND RIVAL

SIBLING AND RIVAL PRO

Have the option for the original smaller window as well as the larger size - massive oversight

Angela Dykshorn

Angela Dykshorn

I too am very disappointed with this size. I've been pro with vimeo for years and hate to leave, but they are making me look bad. I'm going to try out YouTube. :(

Omni Cubed

Omni Cubed PRO

I uploaded 1024x576 videos to my Pro account. Vimeo converts them to 640x360 (because they are smaller than 1280x720 HD). THEN, plays those small video files in a player that is 960x720. Ugly. My original file was large enough and crystal-clear enough to work fine in a 960x720 player, but Vimeo converts it way down then stretches it back up.

Seems very counter-intuitive to me. I'm thinking I better get my $199 back before my trial ends.

Omni Cubed

Omni Cubed PRO

At least give some more encoding options to business with Pro accounts.

rgg

rgg

My videos (some of them were shot in film) looks just awful !!!! I am a professional and it's very damaging to my work !! Please work on a SD player ! I mean this is a basic demand! i just upgraded to Vimeo Plus, but whats the point?

Poetri

Poetri

I just uploaded a SD video and it looks horrible! I am terribly disappointed. Please help!

Market Research

Market Research

Hi, I've just joined. Uploaded a video at 640x480 ... and well you know.... Am I correct in understanding that I can't control the size of the player to a 4:3 video? If this is correct ... that was the shortest relationship in history. I thought vimeo was good! Is it?

pictureDRIFT

pictureDRIFT Plus

Hi, I was thinking that a workaround to SD videos looking bad when scaled to 960x540 would be to upload SD videos at 1024x576. This should look when displayed at 960x540 right? But I think Vimeo scales the 1024x576 source down to 640x360 then displays it at 960x540 which makes it look nasty. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Iñigo Rotaetxe

Iñigo Rotaetxe Plus

Definitly right, I have tried uploading a 1024x576 video and yes, it is downscaled and the upscaled on playback, quite bad.
Another issue: when embedding videos on my Cargo page I want them to fit inside a 720 px wide area, but play at REAL 1280pxwide when fullscreen is selected, but NOT, when played in fullscreen mode at the resolution written in the embedding code even though the video is uploaded at 1280x720 in VIMEO. I was thinking of movin all my videos to VIMEO, but....I think I won't for now.
I'll get more quality having them hosted at my provider....
Pity

&

&

oi oi ... come on VIMEO. this long screen for sd vids sux. please bring back that SD without pillarbox. thanks

sensi&

sensi&

I miss old vimeo with smaller player. When you change it (that big one), i will pay for PLUS account again.

JMJProductions

JMJProductions Plus

Curious as I came across this topic and have not seen one post from the "majority" who voiced their applause for this change in this forum. Why would that be exactly?

Ditto on everything stated...it looks horrible.

jack webb

jack webb Plus

I totally agree with everything said here. I just can't understand why Vimeo has all of this feedback from PAYING users and yet take nothing on board. I am seriously considering other hosting options, ignoring costumers is seriously bad business practice.

Adeo Design

Adeo Design

Yup, terrible...all of my videos are being stretched and/or horribly pixelated....come now Vimeo?

Why would anyone want to play a 640 video at 960 or whazzit you have now??????????

Any CMS module out there offers you to set up your own resolution for your website's videos...

Mark Barnet

Mark Barnet Plus

I'm going to cancel my PLUS account soon if I don't get the option for a smaller screen size. Even my high quality HD videos need a smaller screen.

JL

JL

My Plus account expired and I'm not renewing until you guys make some changes. I would like 960x540 to display in HD resolution, not the blocky mess that your compression turns it into. It's a serious question – why don't you allow it?

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

We want names! Who was responsible for this new vimeo mess in the first place ? Just like new coke, noone like it but Coca cola had the sense of pulling their bad baby out of the market, we have to drink the whole rotten stock.
Membership is coming to an end

Tim Nicholson

Tim Nicholson

Just dropped in after a long absence to see if anything had been done about this. Nope. I want to come back, Vimeo, I really do. Just give us a customisable veiwer window, or let videos play at their native resolution. How hard is it, FFS.

Flatpack.co.uk

Flatpack.co.uk

I get the feeling that Vimeo are ignoring all these comments above. I am so pleased with the service I get from Vimeo, and embedding the videos on my site at their intended resolution look great.
However my customers are now starting to link back to vimeo, only to find a cinema sized screen covered in block pixels ( that used to be my video ) . Please don't ignore these posts, please don't ignore your customers. I love Vimeo, but I can't show my customers enormous pixelated videos, nor do I wish to double my video file size. Not everyone has broadband, and many of my videos are viewed on mobile devices where bandwidth is a problem. Please give us a smaller screen option

Steve Lussing

Steve Lussing

Funny how it didn't really take me very long to find this page. People are complaining about how their own videos are presented on Vimeo and they are justified. I am viewing Neil Hirsig's Blender Video Tutorials and I am somewhat taken aback by the fact that I can't very easily read the text information and labels on the Blender properties panels and tools options. Now, I don't know whether that is because Neil has produce them at that particular resolution, or because that is the way that they are being presented by Vimeo? I am puzzled that I can't select the resolution of the videos the way that I can with YouTube videos. Keeping the resolution down keeps the performance up, for sure, but we should be able to discover the optimum resolution for our viewing purposes by ourselves, without having limitations imposed on us in that regard.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Steve,

For the most part, Vimeo displays the resolution the user uploads. SD videos may be enlarged by the page, but if you put the video into full screen mode, then turn scaling off (a button on the player) you should see the video at the size it was uploaded.

tango.golf.romeo

tango.golf.romeo

Hey, idiots, Just make it like youtube and everything will be fine. I upgarded to Plus hoping for improvements and still that mess with the large playback screen.

And don't fukn pretend that you don't understand what people demand. What the fck we pay for?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

This type of language is not allowed on Vimeo. If you have feedback please offer it in a clear and civil matter. If you continue to use this language you will be removed from the site.

tango.golf.romeo

tango.golf.romeo

That's what I intend probably. When you remove me also don't forget also to remove my plus monthly charge. You have one-year-old requests, nothing is done.

I know you are just a front-end so pass this type of language to the real "heros" who deserve it, please.

Michael Scroggins

Michael Scroggins Plus

I was the fourth person to post a request in this thread with a simple and plaintive "Please!", and am troubled to find that this problem has not yet been solved.

I don't understand why I cannot specify the native size with which I would like my viewers to experience my videos (or why the viewer cannot select the appropriate size for their screen themselves as can be done on YouTube). I can tell viewers that I direct to my Vimeo videos to use the "full screen, then turn off scaling" trick, but this leaves the video playing at the correct size on a black field that obscures the video's actual frame. If that field were even a 50% grey rather than full black at least they would see the proper size window floating in that surround.

It would be kind of you to treat the Vimeo audience with respect and enable then to view our work at the proper scale.

Sorrel Downer

Sorrel Downer Plus

Agree. Compressed videos don't look great this big. Even if it is what the majority of users want, it's clear there is a massive minority who want the option to display their videos smaller (and crisper), and I'm sure there are many more who aren't bothering to voice an opinion because they can see this discussion has been going on for a really long time to no avail.
As it's possible to INCREASE but not DECREASE the scale of the player, Can't Vimeo aim for 100% satisfaction by reinstating the smaller player as a default? That way everyone who wants their videos big and fuzzy can just scale up.
As a leading platform for people whose sole objective is to take film and work hard to make it look a particular way, it's baffling how Vimeo doesn't seem to be responding to the points raised in this thread.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.