Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

To share a video link that will begin playback at a specific point, all you need to do is add a bit of code to the end of the URL. Just add #t= followed by the timecode of where you'd like playback to begin.

Example: vimeo.com/73214621#t=3m13s

By adding #t=3m13s to the end of the URL, the link automatically triggers playback to begin three minutes and thirteen seconds into the video.

Also described in this help article: help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/229326167#specific

bmike

bmike

This was raised quite a while back and there've been no updates in 2 years or more from what I can tell. vimeo.com/forums/topic:21272

It would be nice to somehow pass a pointer to an inbound link that would place a marker in the playback area so at least the person on the receiving end of the link could at least click at the reference point rather than have to click around (or scrub back/forth on iOS) to jump forward to the point of the video selected by the person making the link in the first place.

Link(s): webapps.stackexchange.com/q/24253/12331

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Update: this has been possible for a few years. See sticky post at the top of this thread.

bmike

bmike

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'll look to embed the videos and just draw some sort of arrow to visually indicate where people can select in the playback head to assist in locating the desired beginning point.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

There are a couple of enhancements we're considering (and testing) and this is one of them. It requires some additional work with our CDN to make this work but we are hopeful we can introduce this feature.

bmike

bmike

Awesome! I've tried this on my example URL from my Stack Exchange question, and it works fabulously. This is so cool - thanks to all who got this designed, tested, and rolled out.

Link: vimeo.com/36881035#t=3m28s

Galen

Galen

This is a great feature, but the video always auto starts when I try to embed to my website with it, even without the autostart code. Is there a way to not have the video auto start when using this time start function? I tried an autostart=0 but that did not work. Thanks.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Currently the timestamped link can only autostart. I will pass along your suggestion to our player team to have them look into possibility of adding an option to have it play only when you click on the play button.

Greg Holman™

Greg Holman™

We are really excited about this basic functionality of being able to play just a segment of a video when embedding now and then. Are you intending to go further with this and provide what YouTube provides in regards to allowing a start and end time window for playing (auto and non-auto)? Like this
##iframe width="420" height="315" src="youtube.com/embed/YKmgVJjk5PY?start=63&end=100&controls=0&modestbranding=0&rel=0&showinfo=0">##/iframe##

replacing < with ## and > with ## on the ends so the code will show in here...

RealityEarth

RealityEarth

ditto, please allow autoplay off if using the t position in the embed code

Meghan Telpner Inc

Meghan Telpner Inc PRO

Any update on whether or not we can turn the autoplay off on vids using the timestamp?

Karen Fegelman

Karen Fegelman PRO

Has this been resolved (noticed the reply is over a year old - REALLY hoping this is now possible!)

Zhou Zhou

Zhou Zhou

Please add the autostart off feature because many people including us will want to use it! Also, when #t is supplied, Vimeo player does not dispatch the "ready" event which makes things complicated for developers who use the Vimeo player API.

I am an educational software engineer and we use Vimeo player, Youtube player, and our own player in a non-for-profit video discussion tool. Because Vimeo player misses this feature, we cannot make things consistent on our end. We appreciate it if your team can help!

Link: vialogues.com/vialogues/play/7790#time=74&comment_id=49511

Romain

Romain

Still no auto start? (It makes the embedding impossible).

Link: gethue.com

Panagiotis Kokkinos

Panagiotis Kokkinos

quotup.com is a service (we develop & support) that gives a unique url given the video (youtube, vimeo) url, the start and end time (21 sec max duration) and the autostart option

we name "quotup" a specific portion of an online video of duration smaller than 21 secs

for example: quotup.com/oCeC_S

Link: quotup.com

Jamie Nash

Jamie Nash

Oh hey there, Matt. As far as I can tell, the start time code feature, added to links, is not working.

When the link is clicked it seems to direct to that point on the bar, for a very few seconds, then redirects to 0:00. I've tried several different samples, including "Cameron's" link above.

Am I missing something?

Here's that link from above -

Link: vimeo.com/23594988#t=50

Mansi

Mansi

When are we expecting the support for endtime in vimeo? It's a cool feature on youtube, but we prefer vimeo as host...any ETA?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry, but this isn't really a priority for us. I'm not sure when this will happen if at all.

jordan mitchell

jordan mitchell

Can you make it a priority, please. There are a lot of paid-subscription members requesting this function!!

Jonathan Stray

Jonathan Stray

Autostart is making this feature unusable for me :( adding autoplay=0 does nothing.

Anthony Clune

Anthony Clune

VIMEO STAFF: Please turn off auto play default. To have videos auto play AT ALL is obnoxious and no one on the internet likes to be forced to watch something on page load.

Being able to skip to a custom start time is great, but basically useless if videos start playing obnoxiously.

Your staff's forum responses make me feel you aren't listening to your community here which is voicing a desire for this basic functionality.

Please reconsider.

newGrowth

newGrowth

WTF...autoplay is STILL the default?!?!

Steven Christenson

Steven Christenson Plus

Autoplay with a starting point is annoying even me. Looks like the only solution is to create and upload a new video starting and ending at the desired points and then link to the full length version... OR only provide the link with the #t parameter.

Matthew Moon

Matthew Moon PRO

If we have a video on a web page that has chapter markers for the video next to it, I would expect the video to auto play if I click on a chapter marker, but not for the initial page load for the player. I would be a little annoyed to click on a chapter marker and then have to click play too to start it.

JALQ

JALQ Plus

Any news regarding this feature ? Is it possible not to auto play a video linked to a specific time ?

Reclaim your Inner Throne

Reclaim your Inner Throne Plus

Hi,

I too want to be able to disable autoplay. Surely it can't be that big of a deal to implement?

Please remedy this

Thanks,
Eivind

Simeon Nartoomid

Simeon Nartoomid Plus

Me too, I need this feature to start embedded video at specified time and have autoplay remain off.!

Robert Blixt

Robert Blixt

+1, Please add an option to disable autoplay

Mark J

Mark J

I too would like to emphasize that being able to disable autoplay is a feature that is universally wanted and needed. Vimeo is a great service and I truly hope that the company will make this a priority, for the public's benefit.

HTRI

HTRI PRO

The auto-play option should be a requirement for Vimeo going forward. Basic functionality that should not be viewed as something unneeded.

Tory Brady

Tory Brady

Ditto^ - autoplay=0 should work no matter what params it is paired with.

emilie m

emilie m

+1
I see the last post is six days old, I don't suppose anyone has tackled this issue in the past week?

Jon Cuthbert

Jon Cuthbert

This is the only way I've figured out how to autoplay a video:
#t=0s

so don't turn this off for me without adding a #autoplay=1 parameter.

Patrick Corbett

Patrick Corbett

Agree allow us to disable autoplay while using #t or default it to off.

lomianki_info

lomianki_info

STOP autoplay !!!
Please! Please! Please! Please! Please! Please! Please!

MedTech Boston

MedTech Boston PRO

Absolutely ridiculous that this company cannot develop such a simple feature. This would take at most a day of dev time.

Thanks, but no thanks, Vimeo. We're going back to YouTube.

IWU Video

IWU Video PRO

It would be very very useful to have autoplay = 0. If you have several videos on one webpage, a host of voices and noise start at all once.

Llyane Stanfield French on Skype

Llyane Stanfield French on Skype

Do we have the option to end a video at a certain point yet?
With youtube, it's a simple paramenter: &end=90 to end after 90 seconds.
If Vimeo implements this, I'll gladly pay for my subscription.
Thanks,
Llyane

Matija Baric

Matija Baric

Really, really is this still not resolved, I have to admit and say big BOO to the dev VIMEO team. This feature is an absolute basic, give us the source we will implement it. I can't believe it, for real.

Brent Lagerman

Brent Lagerman

this is an old thread, anyone at vimeo looking at this?

Brent Lagerman

Brent Lagerman

3 years ago users were asking for this feature is it ready yet?

Mscottie

Mscottie

Start time is implemented by adding #t=1206 at the end of the link with the value being minutes. Just trying to find a way to specify an end time.

Kalimukti Yoga Online Limited

Kalimukti Yoga Online Limited PRO

If this feature is not implemented soon, we'll have to re-encode and upload 160 videos which will be countless hours of work, as we need to snip the first 5 secs off each video.

We would be extremely grateful if this was implemented soon.

Sabina Brennan

Sabina Brennan PRO

I would really like this feature - it is hard to pay service that doesnt provide a fuctionality that is freely available on you tube

MZTV Production & Distribution

MZTV Production & Distribution PRO

Any particular reason why the "#t=" amendment does not work with Portfolio videos?

I just get an "Oops! The embed code for this video is not valid." message.

Virtual Worlds

Virtual Worlds PRO

When I use the #t=0m42s parameter on tmy video it jumps to that point and plays but the playbar does not continue to move it stays at 42s even though the video is playing. This appears to only happen on private videos, can this be fixed?

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi there, sorry for the delayed response! Could you please create a thread in our Help forum so we can take a closer look at what's happening here?

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help

Joao Imai

Joao Imai

Hey guys, I looked at here first and thought it wasn't available.
But the #t=0m00s does work.
So this is resolved at last.

Cheers
J

Romain PETIT

Romain PETIT

Same for me, #t=0m50s&autoplay=0 actually does autoplay. So it looks to me that if we want to embed and specify a starting location, the video autoplays no matter what.

Max Ziebell

Max Ziebell Plus

I had to implement a workaround using the 'ready' event and the Vimeo API. This way I could implement "start" and even create a "end" feature using the 'playProgress'-Event. Much like on the Youtube API. This should be fixed nativ to the player given Vimeo is so proud of it's player that they are boasting about the quality … see vimeo.com/76979871 …Please make it so that the quality is not only on the frontend but also in the API! Thank you.

Regards

CourseVideos

CourseVideos PRO

You have to type #t= at the end of the URL in the embed, which is on the outer edge of reasonable for our end users.

I am not happy about the obfuscation of this affordance. This should be part of the embed window even as a simple field.

The downside is that if you set a start time, there is no way to stop the player from autoplaying, at least not without coding. Which as you can imagine, makes this unusable on a page with multiple videos embedded, as we do for many of our courses.
It is also worth noting that this has been an issue for years. Could Vimeo prioritise this functionality and add better control over autoplay, and an interface for setting start time in the embed options dialog to the roadmap for 2016?

PCS, Inc.

PCS, Inc.

Signing the petition for an autoplay=0 || 1 feature as well. To me autoplaying a video on a site is one of the worst invasions of agency and privacy of a visitor. One would think that 4 years of this feature request would persuade a dev team to put this feature on their roadmap or at least definitively state workarounds or that they do not plan to implement this feature. Note: I am grateful that the #t feature does exist at all, so there are positives. I'll figure out a workaround, but it truly is surprising that this issue still persists with Vimeo.

Maggie Dia

Maggie Dia

I work in online education at a major university and second the need for an end time and a way to keep video from autoplaying. The functionality otherwise creates all sorts of problems and barriers for our students.

Sally Maier

Sally Maier Plus

If you're developing a site where you can run some javascript, this snippet does the trick for disabling autoplay if you set it up correctly.

<script src="https://f.vimeocdn.com/js/froogaloop2.min.js"></script>

<script>
var iframe = $('iframe')[0],
        player = $f(iframe),
        status = $('.status');

player.addEvent('ready', function() {
            player.api('pause');
        });
</script>
GlenBikes

GlenBikes

URLs with #t don't seem to work in Twitter. Always starts at beginning w/out autostart. Anyone have a solution for that?

Melanie Castle

Melanie Castle PRO

This is something that YouTube has had for years. Really bummed to see that this is STILL not an easy solve on Vimeo.

cyphunk

cyphunk

Actually it's simply a joke that this isn't possible. It makes content to be referenced a non-option on Vimeo. It's as if Vimeo feel we should live in a world where you have to watch something from beginning to end. This is purist and romantic point of view that doesnt fit modern media consumption.

ultancourtney

ultancourtney

I really wish this link to frame was an option...it's not that I don't want to watch a whole video - but If I want to link multiple still frames as multiple references - I simply can't - it would open people up to watching the entire video if this would be possible :)

Douglas Wilson

Douglas Wilson Plus

I am a teacher and will echo Maggie Dia, who said it perfectly. Educators truly have " the need for an end time and a way to keep video from autoplaying. The functionality otherwise creates all sorts of problems and barriers for our students."

Wow. Again, love Vimeo, but what is up, guys? This seems like a function that should have been added years ago when this thread started. And there are NO responses here from staff...? Have there been massive layoffs? Is Vimeo now three guys in a basement? How about a response at least?

Cornell East Asia Program

Cornell East Asia Program PRO

Also an educational institution user here, and am joining the call to get this feature going. We have need to embed separate snippets in separate instances so that people can quote from one of our hour+ videos without scrubbing through each time. We will probably move away from Vimeo if this simple feature is not included. Start and stop times, without autoplay, on the embed tool; no writing of custom script.

Crown Investor Institute

Crown Investor Institute PRO

I have videos that play all the way through if a website visitor is logged in, but it should only play 90 seconds for visitors. So, why can I do this with YouTube for free, but I can't do this on Vimeo? Seriously? Come on guys. Get this feature working please.

e-stude

e-stude Plus

Is it still not possible to specify the end time? We also need this features as many other people asking for it in the previous year.

Wise Up Bogotá

Wise Up Bogotá PRO

We were hoping to know if the end time of the videos could be specifyed, but it seems not possible yet. I hope you can inform us when it is available, please!!

Sharon Marzouk

Sharon Marzouk PRO

+ 1, please would like a start AND end time to embeded Vimeo objects

Wilgart

Wilgart Plus

Still waiting for start/stoptime festure in embeded video?!

ASM Research

ASM Research PRO

This really needs to be done at this day and age. It is a common element to most systems. +1

Mike Seman

Mike Seman

+1 This would be great.

Being honest, I'm quite surprised this isn't already standard feature.

I don't care about stop time, but having "a video link with a start time" as something I could quickly copy to clipboard would be fantastic. Additionally it should work with embedded videos.

Thanks!

Matt Allington

Matt Allington PRO

I need start and end time too. I am paying Vimeo for a premium service so I can sell training. Some people want to watch the video end to end. Some want to look at small clips. I don't want to have to load 2 sets of video. I need a feature that allows me to embed video with a start and end time stamp to solve this. It can be done on the free service (youtube) but not the premium paid service (Vimeo). Can we please have this feature :-)

JakobM

JakobM

+1 Oh this would be great for a lot of videos.

PodiumTVnl

PodiumTVnl PRO

4 years ago Soxiam [Staff] wrote:

Currently the timestamped link can only autostart. I will pass along your suggestion to our player team to have them look into possibility of adding an option to have it play only when you click on the play button.

And then it became quiet... A search on google learned many many Vimeo Users are complaining about this missing (and extremely simple) option for years !! (more the 4 years !!!!)

Please tell us, what is the status today ?

Plus Performance

Plus Performance PRO

Darnell Witt - your answers don't address the OP. We need option to DISABLE autoplay when video is timestamped! Please solve.

Rx30 Pharmacy Management System

Rx30 Pharmacy Management System PRO

Agreed. The time stamp embedded video feature is great but is not usefully do to the autoplay=0 feature being overridden. If the DEV Team could please add that feature into the service it would save a lot of time and headache editing bigger videos into smaller bit sized versions..

Robb Graham

Robb Graham PRO

The likely truth is they can't make this change because of incompatibility problems that would result across different browsers. You run into the same issues with all workarounds. It's fine for awhile, then Chrome or Edge does an update and suddenly you have a thousand very angry Vimeo users who just lost functionality. Much worse than people just complaining about wanting something. Even the API for programmers is inconsistent across browsers and I can get start/stop times to work with Chrome but not Edge. Get used to the idea of uploading separate video clips even if it's hundreds of them. That's the price of using Vimeo.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.