Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Howdy all, we introduced this awhile ago, but PRO members can now upload via FTP! To learn all about it, take a look at our FAQ here:

Link: vimeo.com/s/tic

John D. Vickers

John D. Vickers PRO

I've spent close to 8 hours trying to upload one video. Pretty frustrating getting to say 92%, freezing which by the way your system gives no indication of. It just hangs for hours on end. And the solution is that I have to try again from the beginning! There has got to be a way to permit "resume". Likewise some places provide an FTP upload option - Why don't you?

I think you need to improve related things like after a hang for say 5 mins provide a message advising the upload has stalled and what the options are. Likewise for those of us paying for "plus" or "pro" accounts I think you provide some combination of a ticket based trouble system, email, and/or telephone support.

Link(s): vimeo.com/38783768

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry to hear that. We have a plan this year to work on a desktop uploader application that will re-introduce this feature.

Morreaux

Morreaux Plus

With the end of the desktop uploader we now have no way to pause an upload and resume it. When are you going to reintroduce this feature? What's the timescale?

Aimen kasem

Aimen kasem

desktop uploader has been discontinued.. and their is improvements to the web uploader, dos this mean their will be a pause and resume feature with web uploader?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

No, the resume/pause function, as far as I am aware, is not a feature we can build on top of HTTP protocol.

Black Box Productions Ltd.

Black Box Productions Ltd. Plus

We are SOOO disappointed that Vimeo no longer supports the desktop uploader. Now there's no way to pause and resume. And it's relying on the browser not to freeze, so if I'm doing something in another window and the browser crashes, I need to restart the upload from 0.

Very disappointing Vimeo!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We hear you and this is why, as I stated above, we will be working on a new version this year.

Coski Bukowski

Coski Bukowski

Vimeo, please be aware that not everybody has a rock-solid internet connection, to upload a big video non-stop.
The zone I live in only has one DSL ISP (no cable) and because im far away from the DSL servers, i get poor speeds and frequent disconnections.
And even if that wasn't the case, connection problems really often, it would be just nice to have the option to resume an upload later.

Carsten Kring

Carsten Kring Plus

Shame on you for discontinuing desktop uploader.

I have just tried to post a long reason for my frustration, but an error occurred uploading to the forum and now I do not want to go through the hazzle of writing it again.

But, now I cannot upload multiple home video files easily with drag and drop and easily add them to the same album.

Also, why are the files uploaded with the web uploader named "untitled". With the desktop uploader, the file name was the same as locally.

You are wrong discontinuing the desktop uploader without providing an improved solution. I am very disappointed that you are not in sync with the use cases your product has fulfilled.

Guerrilla Films

Guerrilla Films Plus

Why add features (like pause and resume on the Desktop uploader) and then take them away?

Very backwards! Its a crazy way to run a business.

Not everyone has fast connections (I live in Africa and I'm practically talking about the entire continent not having a fast connection)!

Bring back Pause & Resume in some shape or form please.

Streamline Media

Streamline Media PRO

Professionals which use vimeo weekly CANNOT work like this, you will have to think about something different, this is not a method.
Vimeo is known for letting user upload big files , which of course should have a resume and pause option otherwise we are playing with our time, so since no desktop uploader and no way to resume or pause, I am afraid I am going to finish my subscription with vimeo.

ttvd

ttvd

I am like the other posters sad about not being able to pause / resume the upload. I tried uploading a large file, but with my current connection it is pretty much impossible. Needless to say, while I love vimeo, I do not think I will be renewing my plus membership.

Brighton Vineyard Church UK

Brighton Vineyard Church UK Plus

I beleive the old vimeo uploader must have provided a more rugged upload protocol, ie the client was able to communicate with the server in such a way as to enable the upload process to resume after a break. With the uploader I was able to leave the uploader running overnight, and could uploat a half-hour video in 10 0r 12 hours. I note that the staff are now MANDATING that for a successful upload I should do away with my wi-fi link and re-wire my house !!.

Brighton Vineyard Church UK

Brighton Vineyard Church UK Plus

I would be most grateful if Vimeo staff would advise on the most rugged browser to use. I use Google but have just waited 15 hours for half an hour to load, then is crashes and also advise: I have just started from scratch and will have to delete the residue from the first attempt. Will this be deducted from my weekly allowance ?

Conneaut Church of God

Conneaut Church of God

The title of this discussion includes "FTP upload". To the folks at Vimeo, can you give some incite into why this is not an option for us?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

It's been addressed in few past threads. In short, we've looked into this but it turned out to be far more complicated than we anticipated given the specifics of our upload and transcoding infrastructure.

As I mentioned above, we have plan to work on the next version of the desktop uploader app. We are also currently looking into another non-FTP upload solution which we think many of our users will find useful.

Goodmorningbeautiful Films

Goodmorningbeautiful Films PRO

Professional users need this function! You should leave the desktop uploader at least working until you implement the newer one ...
"We have a plan this year to work on a desktop uploader application" is too vague - are we going to be waiting for months and months until this feature comes back? If so, unfortunately Vimeo will no longer provide what I need. I too am in West Africa while my colleagues are in Cambodia and without the resume feature vimeo is rendered useless to us.

Why not just allow the old desktop uploader to continue functioning in the meantime?????

Lemo

Lemo

Yeah I didn't quite understand either the necessity to shutdown the current version way before the new one is released?

matinciel

matinciel Plus

just to say +1 on ftp upload or eventually desktop upload working with a NAS solution would be great...

Garrreth Bird

Garrreth Bird

to add my voice: PLEEEEEEESE return the RESUME UPLOAD FROM SAME PLACE option ASAP...im wasting hours, days without it...we dont all have unbreakable multi-meg lines out here...

AREA 5

AREA 5 PRO

THIS. Seriously. It's actually begun to harm our business. I'm not going to threaten to pull our subscription because we still love you, but if this isn't on the top of the priority list for you then please make it so.

miltersen

miltersen Plus

Hear Hear. I just cancelled my PLUS, it's worthless to me, as long as I can't resume uploads.

Berca TV

Berca TV Plus

Christ a full week trying to upload a video ! Any chance of an FTP option ?

Hatfield Media

Hatfield Media PRO

Same here. Youtube will auto-resume if you upload the exact same file after a connection interruption. I am in a remote location, not the rock solid bandwidth available at my studio... Upload has failed 3 times.

Any updates?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Pause and resume feature for our upload page is being worked on right now. We hope to have this in testing soon.

liquidguru

liquidguru Plus

If you need a tester please use me!! Every week it takes me hours/days to upload files from 85MB to 200MB. My internet connection is slow and not that stable, and I have to re-upload multiple times for success. As I've said before and has been said many times in the forums, it is incredible that in 2012 you do not have a resume feature......I'm fed up being penalized for not having a 'rock solid' internet connection.

Joshua Steimle

Joshua Steimle

Please, please, please get this done asap. This is a deal-breaker for me. I'm in Brazil and I'm having to upload each video 10 times before I can get it to take. This must be costing you guys tons of money for extra bandwidth if for every gig of video you guys have to deal with 8-10 gigs of data transfer since I keep having to start uploads over and over again.

Kriyate

Kriyate

blip.tv's premium plans have been offering FTP uploading for years. I switched over to Vimeo expecting the same feature but was disappointed to learn of its absence. Maybe talk to their engineers?

Also, it would be nice for you to update the FAQ with your plans for the new uploader. That way users like us don't have to go hunting in the Feature Request thread for this info. Thanks.

Lemo

Lemo

"Pause and resume feature for our upload page is being worked on right now. "

YEAH go for it VIMEO ! :]

I already gave up uploading that 400Mo film for now (like what, 20 tries and a month? ^^)

liquidguru

liquidguru Plus

I really am fed up. I live in a very remote part of Indonesia. I film some of the most rare and unusual underwater creatures in the world. My internet is OK, but loses the connection for perhaps 1 to 2 seconds every 10 minutes or so. It is impossible for me to upload anything BECAUSE VIMEO CANNOT IMPLEMENT PAUSE OR RESUME. You had it before (Desktop loader) but no longer. You 'are working on it' but you never fix it. Why should I be polite and nice when you are basically giving me the finger with your inability to fix such a basic function for any uploading site. GET IT TOGETHER, you are letting us all down!!!

liquidguru

liquidguru Plus

So, finally, by transferring my video to my android phone, then using the (buggy) Vimeo app, I have uploaded my video.

How can the android app support pause and resume, but the desktop/browser not?

Lemo

Lemo

Can I download the Vimeo app as an APK someplace?
I want to try a completely ridiculous approach trough "BlueStacks" emulator, just for this upload thingie -_-

liquidguru

liquidguru Plus

Any update on the Pause and Resume feature that was being worked on 2 weeks ago?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Not quite ready yet but we're working on it.

liquidguru

liquidguru Plus

Thanks. I recently uploaded a large video to Youtube (tried but just couldn't get it uploaded to Vimeo) and couldn't believe what an easy experience it was. It just worked. I do love Vimeo and just the simple feature of resume would make everything perfect for me

Lemo

Lemo

That would help indeed, I'm not going anywhere with that android emulator...

Tecné Collective

Tecné Collective Plus

Another +1 for the desktop uploader... being limited to upload only 5 videos for session, and transfer all at the same timme produce you in sluggish and unpredictable results... Is not that difficult to implement a queue system in javascript. And c´mon, a new window for setting the video properties, seems kinda lazy integration work.

I miss the old desktop uploader :(

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We know we can better integrate the settings on multi upload page and we will spend more time on that. On queueing system... honestly, no, it's far more complicated than some simple JS work.

miltersen

miltersen Plus

Cheers Lemo. Trying it out right now, with a 3,5 GB file.

Hatfield Media

Hatfield Media PRO

I know you guys don't normally post ETAs but can you give us a clue? When traveling I am forced to go to youtube because they DO support auto-resume through html5. I love vimeo dearly, but it is killing me to get to 85% on a video and connection drops, and I'm out 1.5 hours of uploading!

Alexandre Perrachon

Alexandre Perrachon

It's mostly due to a slow and uncertain wifi. That's why i'd kill for a pause/resume feature

PL Docs

PL Docs PRO

Vimeo, You desperately need to add the upload resume function or a desktop app. I'm not going to renew my subscription without this and I know at least twenty people which have not bought one because they know that this feature is missing. A stable upload (with the option to resume) is a must in a world of deadlines. Internet connections and browsers are and will continue to be unstable. I can not believe that this option is not top priority for you.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Have you tried using the advanced uploader yet? It supports pause/resume.

Hatfield Media

Hatfield Media PRO

While using the advanced uploader a file got to 85% then failed. When attempting to re-upload the file again, it does not resume. How are we to resume file uploads?

liquidguru

liquidguru Plus

When an ftp server says it's supports resume, it means that if the upload fails at some point, then you can resume from where it left off. I think this is what everyone wants. Our problems are that our internet connection can drop out or,as above, the upload just fails at some point, and this makes it very difficult to upload videos, unless you support resume, not just hitting a pause button then resume.

This, by the way, is incredibly basic stuff, one that I would have hoped your team of highly trained developers would have known.

Andy Lambert

Andy Lambert

Hi all

I have been away from Vimeo for a number of years and have built a strong following (with only amateur videos) on U-Tub. I thought however, it’s time to come back to the ‘professional’ Vimeo and so purchased the upgraded membership. Now after several attempts to upload using a good fibre optic connection, but failing to upload, I have come here to read all your comments about the 'resume' option (which as some have pointed out is not exactly cutting edge technology).

So Vimeo let me add my voice to theirs NO ONE has a perfect connection this is something that is a must and the whole concept of taking away facilities, before their replacements are in place - is plan daft!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Andy, are you referring to the pause/resume function or the FTP upload? If it's the former, that feature is already available. If it's the latter, we've addressed it several times in the past. It's very difficult to retrofit the technology into our infrastructure at this time.

Andy Lambert

Andy Lambert

Specifically the ability to resume after an aborted (for whatever reason) upload.

matinciel

matinciel Plus

There is maybe a solution to use ftp transfer to upload video on Vimeo (I havn't try yet but I will definetely).

Upload to FTP
then
use mybackupbox.com/
to upload to Dropbox
then
use the vimeo function to upload from dropbox

I plan to use this "solution" with a NAS (synology) as my NAS is always on :-)

Professional Video

Professional Video Plus

I have used an uploader to send large size files to my printer built on java that allows you to pause and restart. It is made by Fileflow technologies, the product is called WebCourier. Might be worth a look. Please note there are solutions out there, just a matter of cost and integration.

Link: fileflow.com

HLT Group

HLT Group

Soxiam - maybe I am missing something here, but just because you put a "Pause" button on the web uploader - exactly how does that address *any* of the problems expressed here? In fact I dont even see the purpose of it! What does it do? Stop the upload? Great. The problem is that people want to finish their upload if its interrupted. What they are really asking for here isnt a PAUSE. They want a "RESUME" that works even if they have to shut down and reboot their computer. What use is a PAUSE button anyway? If you press PAUSE and so much as close the browser, all of your video upload thus far is lost. Because you cant RESUME. Who is going to PAUSE the upload while sitting right in front of the computer, as the upload is still in progress? Why would they? FTP technology has been around since ancient times. Even if windows crashes, the software tags the upload and can resume at any time indefinitely in the future. This is what people here are asking for!!!

HLT Group

HLT Group

I will be cancelling my paid account here as well. The iPhone app can't upload even on Wifi reliably, and the most robust version (web) doesn't even have basic functionality. Vimeo - all you are is a video uploading service, and you dont even have basic functionality from 1998. Confusing.

HLT Group

HLT Group

Sorry for the triple post. Just reading more comments here. I realize creating a web interface with Resume functionality may be complex - but why dont you slap a web interface on top of an FTP uploader? Clearly im no programmer, but programs like WS FTP had pause resume literally 10 years ago. It can't be that difficult ...

RMC Brothers

RMC Brothers Plus

Hi, any news about this new feature? today is impossible upload videos with more than 1gb... the default upload system on vimeo.com always crash!

The Assembly Rooms

The Assembly Rooms PRO

Why are VIMEO staff not replying to this post with an update to this? It is THE MOST important feature they can have, I you can not upload a file you have no service. My company has just bought Vimeo Pro and were about to upload 300 files, before I start this process I want to make sure I can actually do this without pulling my hair out...

Vimeo, any news at all?!

Elimi

Elimi Plus

ouch, it seems that this pause/resume option is not available in Opera browser? Started to google this topic as I had to start over again upload of +2gb video file and was unable to find any uploader desktop app for Windows 7.

Kuba Grabski

Kuba Grabski

I have been trying to upload a 400mb file for 2 days already.... My god I did not know Vimeo is such a crap if it comes to uploading files :/ You need to get it sorted guys. I mean it. It, is 21st century.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

The Resume/Retry option is now built into our standard uploader: vimeo.com/upload

FTP uploading is something we're working on and hope to deliver soon.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Luke,

When you start an upload you are giving the option to pause and restart it at any time during the process.

Axiomy Media

Axiomy Media PRO

I hope its SCP or SFTP compatible FTP has a 2gig per file limit.

Luke Randall

Luke Randall Plus

my browser crashed at 90% after 2.5 hours of uploading. No discernible way to resume, when i re upload it starts again. This is a fundamentally needed feature especially when uploading HQ video which is the whole point of vimeo.

Deeragon Entertainment

Deeragon Entertainment Plus

I can pause and resume it but how I can resume a failed upload ? It always starts from the beginning. Uploading from the latest Mozilla Firefox.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

Unfortunately if an upload failed we can't restart it from the fail point because we don't know why it failed. We'd always have to start from the beginning on a failed upload.

Global Rail Systems Company

Global Rail Systems Company

95% through an upload that took 17 hours, the whole thing crashed my browser. There is no obvious resume/retry on standard upload page that I can see. I just joined Vimeo and am a Plus member.

I don't understand. This is such a disappointment.

Prema Studios

Prema Studios

Thank you! Appreciate the prompt reply. It helped :-)

Potolahi Productions

Potolahi Productions Plus

I was 66% through an upload that had taken 10 hours. I paused it to move my computer to another room in the house. I was connected to the internet the whole time. Then I pressed resume, and vimeo somehow forgot the 66% and started from the beginning again. I thought the whole point of resume was to continue where it had paused. Can you give some advice about how this feature should work. I am plus member and have the appropriate version of Firefox.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.