Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hello everyone,

At this point, I think it's clear that this thread has become unproductive. The Feature Request forum is a place for our members to give specific feedback regarding the site.

I'll be opening a different thread with clear instructions for posting.

Constructive, respectful criticism is fine, but rabble rousing, attacking the staff with wild accusations, and name calling is unbecoming of a Vimeo member and if this behavior continues, you will no longer be welcome.

Please review our community guidelines:  vimeo.com/help/guidelines  ;

Aybars Arslan

Aybars Arslan

Hey,
I had been using vimeo's old design for weeks and was not intending to turn it to new design.However, when I opened the homepage,I saw it was changed to new design by itself.Am I obliged to use this design ? Because I'd love to turn back to old design if it's possible.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry, we're beginning to phase out the old design and for most folks there's no path back.

TebbeVision!

TebbeVision! Plus

Since it is no longer possible to comment from the new Vimeo pages, I am here to tell your that the new Vimeo is the most garbaged up website I have seen in a long time. It is atrociously bad in its appearance, and its function is in every case much more convoluted. Everything I want to do requires two (or more) additional clicks, compared to the 'old'. In addition, it is full of bugs.

This is bad, and this is not even a beta. It is a BAD alpha.

Your only possible course of action is to make the old new again by going back.

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

Can we please get the total plays box back on the My videos page?

It is severely missed as an easy way to "pass through" vimeo to quickly check how many views your video has received..

Also it would fit really nicely between the My Stuff and the Help boxes and eliminate some of that dead space.

Mark

Mark Staff

The stats are now right behind the "stats" button underneath the video.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

That's not what he asked for, Mark
Can't you just put it back on the page where it used to be.
I'm sure if you did a little user research you would find this is what most people want.

H.A.N.D. Productions

H.A.N.D. Productions

I know. And it isn't as convenient as being able to go to your my videos page and just looking at the total plays of all your videos like in the pervious version of the site.

Aybars Arslan

Aybars Arslan

Are you going to put a embed statistics options as you had it in the old version? That was helping me a lot.

Mark

Mark Staff

I'm not sure if that will be coming back or not

Roger Jackaman

Roger Jackaman

Since my account was switched over nothing works. I can't play any videos they just apear like a photo on the page and the only options given are to download them.. Is this the only way to play videos now?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Tom, sorry for the trouble. No, you should still be able to play videos on Vimeo.com Can you try clearing your browser's cache and cookies? Have you tried in a different browser?

Roger Jackaman

Roger Jackaman

Yes I tried using firefox with the same results. I can't play anything there is not even a play button showing.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hmm, can you try disabling all browser add-ons, firewalls and anti-spyware software? They can often inhibit video playback.

Roger Jackaman

Roger Jackaman

Still nothing playing just a frozen picture and no play button.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Tom, is this happening with a specific video or with all videos on our site?

Roger Jackaman

Roger Jackaman

Its happens with all videos. Some show a play button now but nothing happens when its clicked. So I can't view any videos on viemo but all other video sites work as usual.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Have you tried the HTML5 player in either Chrome or Safari? Both IE and Firefox currently only support the Flash Player.

Roger Jackaman

Roger Jackaman

Yes it works with google chrome. I can get it to work in firefox but only using the old style as soon as I switch to the new it doesn't work again. Internet explorer seems frozen in the new style and doesn't work.

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry to hear you don't like it, Ryan.

Elisabetta Bastai

Elisabetta Bastai

I don't like it either and it seems to me that you don't actually care about what the users think because you are going head to change it anyway without leaving any other options open like FB, You Tube etc.... Sorry but this is really frustrating.

Kate Swoboda

Kate Swoboda Plus

Agreed. Reading a string of "sorry you don't like it" is smug as hell.

muhammad al-najar

muhammad al-najar Plus

it have a lot of bugs ... for examples when i make the embed option to default hd the save button does not work ........... i hope you could fix these bugs soon ...... great job

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll work on this.

muhammad al-najar

muhammad al-najar Plus

perfect ... i am very happy for your fast response .... now the button is working ,.. but the embedded video is not hd on the site ..... i meant i could now save my settings but this settings does not affect the embedded one

Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory

I am a teacher in a NYC public school, and we depended on the flash uploader to somehow work around our network's proxy. Now that it's gone, I can't seem to upload any films at all while at school - and this is very sad. My uploads just hang on the "uploading" bar without any sign of progress. Any ideas?

Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory

Incidentally, I'm using Flash 11.0.1 and have tried both Firefox + Safari. And, I'm posting under a student's account. I don't know why Flash uploader always used to work for us, but my students couldn't ever upload their videos otherwise.

Christina

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you make sure the system admins have Vimeo whitelisted?

Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory

I'll look into it. It would be a city-wide problem. It worked until just recently w/ new Vimeo. Thanks for your response!

Joe Wiggleston

Joe Wiggleston Plus

I want to go to the NEW design. Am I missing a link somewhere to do so?

verity

verity

I can't see an option for the old embed code, and I can't continue to use vimeo for hosting without it - all of videos are posted to sites that don't support the new embed code. When is it coming back?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, unfortunately, the old embed will not be coming back. We have replaced it with the iFrame code so that your embedded videos are compatible with mobile devices.

verity

verity

How unfortunate they're not compatible with how I actually use Vimeo. Ah well. Time to find a new place to host my content.

Milton Academy K–8

Milton Academy K–8 Plus

I use a content management system that will not allow iframe coding. The code was the only way I can use Vimeo. I have six Vimeo accounts. You will lose all six accounts, if you don't allow for the "old" way of embedding.

Kate Swoboda

Kate Swoboda Plus

I love how the responses to comments are "Sorry about that" but it's quite clear that, uh, they're not really actually sorry that people are having issues.

Someone

Someone

I also dislike the new design to be honest. Could vimeo at least keep updating the old one and give us a chance to switch between these two instead of permanently removing it?

The many negative changes that were done to YouTube were the reason why I stopped using it. I'd prefer staying with vimeo on a long term basis, though.

Stagehand

Stagehand

I, also, left YouTube, mostly because they made aggessive changes to their Channel pages. I liked having my own original personal channel, until they forced their new design with their 'Recommended" column - by YouTube- displaying borderline X video immediately adjacent to my uploaded videos of my children.
When I am sure that Vimeo will not go that direction, and they decide to implement a more user friendly design than the new one, then I will make my upgrade to the Plus. I LIKE the original Vimeo design. It is clean, and easy to navigate for myself, friends and family. The new one has too many hidden links, and has no logical order. Just my opinion.

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Not just your opinion. It's common opinion. New Vimeo brings a lot of great new options, but it is realy case of bad internet design. Everything is shattered everywhere, hidden options, page jumps up and down, menus are all around... rule number one in web design is broken.

outandabout

outandabout

can't play any videos at all. on the thumbnails view on my feeds page if I hit click i get a blank screen and no play. If I go to video's main page I have a static picture with no option for play or anything. why is this? I use vimeo everyday and if I can't I will start using youtube again even though I would prefer vimeo so much more.

also I cannot clear any videos from my feeds or see how many feeds do i have in total. previously i could see how many pages I had with feeds and watch and remove what i wanted but now i have all the feeds and can't even take off my inbox the ones i don't even want to watch. how do i do this now?

3 hours I have spent trying to find a solution for this and although I am patient I don't have much spare time and 3 hours for me is like 3 days. if i can't find solution i will unfortunately
stop using VImeo, which has been one of the best things ever on the net.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hi, can you try posting in the help forums please and we'll try to help you out?

AleG

AleG

Groan... now there's no longer the option to use the previous design.

Here's the feedback I just sent:

-The new layout is definitely worse than the previous, important things are hidden and yet there is more wasted space than before.

-Someone opening a video following a link is much less likely to check other videos on the channel since now they are hidden = less exposure.

-The top menu, first it pops down which moves the page down, very distracting. It's also flawed in functionality, since the menu options are horizontal and moving the mouse over to an option, for example opening Me > Messages is quite easy to move the mouse over another menu item like Videos and change the menu options.

-The sharing function for Facebook, before I could add some comments before sharing the video, now the only option is to press the Like button and that's it.

-The Hide Videos button doesn't work, the video list stays open.

-Also about the video list at the top, no scroll bars, clicking gets tedious after a while. The side video list was much better, not only easier to navigate also it encouraged and facilitated people to see other videos in the channel.

That's what I can see from a first look, to be honest there's absolutely not a single thing that I consider an improvement to the previous version.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

I agree with all of the above findings about the "New" Vimeo.-

In addition, I find the constant need to re-click on the drop-down menus to be visually irritating if not unhealthy (too much flickering...!)

And the vertical stripes of sombre, dirge-like earth/ochre "Test Pattern" colors is neither inviting nor welcoming...

Font/Typeface on the "New" Vimeo is also stultifyingly uniform, and Comments are far too prominently displayed...

Please retain the original and BEST Vimeo - Please...?

Thanks !

TebbeVision!

TebbeVision! Plus

YOU CAN GO BACK! Just logout and close Vimeo, then delete all the Vimeo cookies in your browser, and you'll be back to the old one

Kate Swoboda

Kate Swoboda Plus

Agreed on all counts with this feedback, AleG.

Another HUGE waste of time is that now you have to wait for the entire video to convert before you can grab the embed code. The old Vimeo allowed you to grab the embed code, even if you were waiting for something to convert.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hey folks I'm moving this thread to feature requests since that's more what you guys are asking for. If you have a specific technical issue please post in the help forums.

blooo

blooo

I also dislike the new vimeo, it is not an easy and intuitive design.

808 PRO

Why are you forcing us to use this new design?! I understand that you guys run Vimeo, but this is a serious serious mistake.

Which boneheaded necktie decided this new "web 2.0 social media meta" look was good for Vimeo? The same kind of people who graduated from business school as Digg's Kevin Rose and Netflix's Reed Hastings?!

Seriously... there are thousands of us who insist that we are HAPPY with the old Vimeo, and you guys are arrogantly switching us to this new design.

As soon as a serious Vimeo competitor comes out, I will be canceling my membership with Vimeo.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

The feedback we've received has been OVERWHELMINGLY positive! If you have specific areas of concern, we'd love to hear your ideas, but running two versions of the site—forever—is not a feasible solution.

808 PRO

Exactly. So just keep the old one ;)

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Kevin, Mark et al: To get over this issue (i.e. many of us don't believe that most people could prefer this new version) why not explain your logic in the changes made, what user research you really did and what actual feedbeck you got... because to my mind in the old version which I liked fine there were improvements to be made ...but what we got were disimprovements
So, maybe an explanation of the (real) how and why this change came about?
And please enough of the pithy "we're sorry you are not happy with the new etc"

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

PS: if it's any consolation, the "improvements" to YouTube, which I also use (preferring some things to Vimeo) are also not so great. But at least there many can be reversed.
Both of you seem to be heading down a corporate consumer road, rather than a filmmaker-friendly operation. Inevitable maybe, but i would have expected better of vimeo.

Kate Swoboda

Kate Swoboda Plus

Agreed, Seamus. Kevin, I'm sure you're getting some positive feedback, but this strong of "sorry you feel that way" nonsense going throughout these comments is poor service on Vimeo's part. I for one received no emails or notifications that a change was pending.

Crazy Cool Studios

Crazy Cool Studios

New design is not good. slow loading and the quality seems degraded, please have option to have videos play smaller like they use to. I'll might just end up going to youtube! seriously!

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes indeed, that blog started with enthusiasm and gradually reflected the growing disappointment of this botched change.
Go to it and see vimeo.com/blog:473

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

I totally agree with the critiques of the new layout design.

I found that the goals the Vimeo staff put in this post... vimeo.com/blog:473
are even further away with the new vimeo.

Goal #1 - Put a greater focus on my videos.

With the old layout, My Stuff was always the first thing that popped up, which is great and what I want to always happen. With the new layout it took me 5 minutes just to find where all my videos were.

On the video page, related videos, my videos, all that stuff, isn't even visible anymore without having to click stuff. How are people supposed to find more videos when they're hidden?

Goal #2 - Make Vimeo faster, easier, more fun.

Hiding things until they're clicked on makes the site slower, harder, and less fun. Anything out of eyesight means people have to start searching to get where they want to go. Clicking on a lot of things to get to where I want to go isn't fun, no matter how many animated transitions slide in and out.

Feed posts are now huge too, I can see one at a time. With the old layout, the list-style of links made it easier to see a lot more upon first-glance instead of having to scroll all up and down all over the place.

Basically it comes down to more clicking and more searching for info/content, which means more loading times. Try and sell that as faster, easier, and more fun.

Goal #3 - Give features that people want.

No embed stats? I use those numbers a lot. They tell me where I should post my videos to get the most views outside of Vimeo. Stats are pretty important when you're promoting videos on your own.

The one feature I've been asking for has been ignored too, no responses, not even a no we can't. You can check the threads here - vimeo.com/forums/topic:40568 - and here - vimeo.com/forums/topic:35160

When I first tried the new Vimeo, I saw nothing I liked and had trouble finding what I wanted to find. Uploading didn't work, so I switched back to the old layout. The new layout feels like a step in the wrong direction. Stop trying to make it a social networking site and make it a better place to host and watch videos.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes!!!
At least vimeo congrats on this blog which I've only just discovered.
I thought I was a lonely dinosaur not liking this new vimeo.
Question: has there been a change in management or vision to get things this wrong?

TebbeVision!

TebbeVision! Plus

Dae Mellencamp has been President of Vimeo since January of 2009, according to the IAC website. IAC, run by Barry Diller, owns Vimeo. It was acquired in August of 2006.

Ms. Mellencamp previously redesigned the ask.com website. Anyone want to comment on that?

Justin Dickinson

Justin Dickinson Staff

Fractal Circus, we think the new feed view is a superior experience since you can watch videos without leaving the page however we know not everyone uses the site in the same way which is why we left all the old views as options. Just click the different icons to change the layout of your feed on the top right.

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

Hey Justin,

Part of what I liked about the feed view was how much information I could get just by a glance. I didn't know you could change the look back because of the new design too. Icons are a terrible way to get around unless people already know what they're looking for, I hated it when Google made that switch too. I still use their old look when I can because it's easier to navigate. I don't get why people are so opposed to text over icons.

I saw Kevin Sweeny posted a screen cap about the response to the new design with simple tag searches. The problem with that is that it doesn't take any context for those words, so those numbers are useless and don't mean anything.

Sentences like this one, would show up as positive in there, yet has nothing to do with complimenting the new design. Posts by people Christopher Ramirez, Kate Swoboda, Elisabetta Bastai, Stagehand, etc. would all register as positive for you guys, but if you guys actually took the time to research and read, you'd see that they in fact don't like the new design and would prefer the old one.

So far by all the locked posts and how big this thread is, the community is more upset than you'd like to admit.

It sucks when people don't like something you've put a lot of work into, we're all filmmakers and artists here, we know how that feels.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

I strongly agree with Fractal Circus, Chritopher Ramirez, bobby, nicolas, AleG, foxvideo, Stagehand, Daniel Schmidth, outandabout, Aybars Arslan and Have A Nice Day Productions...

PLEASE Vimeo - The original page/layout is elegant, concise, easy to navigate and comprehend, easy to connect with others in the community - All are much more difficult and WAY too much clicking and searching in the "New" Vimeo....

We appreciate your work - but this "New" Vimeo is not a step that helps your community to resonate more easily, to share and cross-pollenate artistic and humane ideas, images and points of view.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

I would have to agree too. Yesterday, the old Vimeo design was back and I uploaded a new video and woke up this morning to find that it has gone back to the horrible stretched design!

I specifically designed my videos to look neat and tidy and crisp with Vimeo. Stretching the videos, as a lot of people agree, distorts the image and makes it look a mess!

Listen to the masses and return it to the old design OR bring in an option!

Mohamad Daya

Mohamad Daya

Here is what I did.

Go to you settings: vimeo.com/settings

At the end you will see an option says that please turn back to the old design.

Hope this helps.

TebbeVision!

TebbeVision! Plus

Not any more!

You can, however, go back by logging out, closing Vimeo, and then deleting all Vimeo cookies in your browser.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I like the old verrsion much better.
This blog is a great idea a source or semblance of democracy.
But it took me while to find it and a moment of frustration and anger to search around and finally find it. I'm not even sure I'll easily find my way back to this page.
Maybe it would be a good idea to have this clearly on an obvious 'contact' tab or button on the front page? I'm sure many people with opinions on the site would welcome this.
Maybe you can give us stats on the size of the vimeo community?
Maybe you could even do a straw poll of all members?

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Among all well writen above, to which I 100% agree, I would like to add:
When someone finds me from google, the main page of Old Vimeo shoved everything about me in ONE neat page without clicking anything, or scrolling.

No one can say, new Vimeo is better, as it not follow basic Web design Standars (I'm web deweloper):
- page must not jump
- menus must be on predictable place in predictable order
- scrolling down is desirable, left and right not
- when reader goes down on page, jumping back is not desirable
IQ of new Vimeo is away from Old one.

See this links for figure:
dropbox.com/sh/azshu3b0lpemlb7/QbNRkrQoC3/NewVimeo.PNG
dropbox.com/sh/nt9gya0wx5bmq9z/6nBuAdjM2l/OldVimeo.PNG
dropbox.com/sh/rarbf8kbmsz6ewx/ZVaXRt1Jic/NewVimeo-play.PNG
dropbox.com/sh/aum9vgp0qj7q1gk/fcUHPHeoOb/OldVimeo.play.PNG

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Any designer (web or not) could find old design more intuitive and matching common design rules.

808 PRO

I think many of us can agree that this new Vimeo "social web 2.0 meta" look is a hot mess.

If the people over at Vimeo HQ haven't realized this yet, I'm sure they are beginning to realize it now.

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Agree. It's hard to find design flaws when testing Vimeo in corporal meeting room, where they were all probably excited about it. But we are working on it dayli. An repeating same tasks 100's of time, it soon becoume obvious what gives or waht take time.

Few days ago I rolled back 3 of 4 of my computers. Now I can really compare what I DO like on new Vimeo and what on old. Since on old Vimeo thumbnails are not working, I set them in new Vimeo. But most of time I upload my picture.

I found few things new Vimeo have and should be adde to old design, to make Perfect Vimeo:
- multiple file uploader (but Youtube uploads files one after another which is better)
- bigger fonts (but on a bigger, wider site layout)
- Private FLAG on videos
- Settings button on videos (optional)
- perghaps there is something minor here ant there...

What neither of Vimeo have:
- option to choose size of player
- WIDER page (it's rediculous to have 960px wide site on a 1920 screen (1280px is common now. but site could be fluid to with dynamic resizing). New Wimeo is actualy 20px less wide than old one, but it puts "more videos" next to site and that takes 1040px than).
- OFFLINE uploding option (desktop aplication which is not browser based, or ftp or so).

That's it. Vimeo is great othervise.

I see there is some fashoin of making everything small, with small icons and fonts (Vimeo and Animoto). And again in more or less same time they change UI. They also had almost useless smal icons. Now they got with wider page, but still icons are rediculous small.

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Mohamad Daya: Thank You!

I was adapting to new desing somehow. I wrote several feedbacks about menu. It should JUMP OVER not push site down!
But this BIG video player and hidden all video in a scrolling bar (whichagain push site down) is too much.

I switched today to Old Vimeo and marked "I hate changes". I hope most of people would do that. I know new funcionality could be wrapped in to more inteligent design, or even in to Old design.

It's saying: don't fix what's not broken. Vimeo could polish old desing, not toss everything what was good.

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Now while I switched back on all my computers I find only one thing missing from new design (and can be implemented to old as well): Private videos are not "signed" by "private" sticker... So bring that positive stuff from new and old together.

I have 15MBits DSL and old design is rocket fast compared to new one.

FONTS are MUCH much more clear to read.

I love old. :)

Zilvinas Paludnevicius

Zilvinas Paludnevicius Plus

I am really disappointed with the functions of the new Vimeo! Keep it simple, please! If my grandma can't find what she wanted then whats the point of the all jazz up?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We are getting tons of feedback and the work on improving the new vimeo will continue for some time. We hope our members understand that this is a test and that it will take some time to make it as good as we can.

What exactly did your grandma have trouble finding?

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Soxiam, was that sarcasm? Are you sixteen years old? Be cool and play nice... and remember that the planet (and vimeo) is not only for youngsters. What is the average age of the "support team" and what is the average age of the vimeo member?
The grandma reference is both a good metaphor as well as a practical illustration of who you should be thinking of when you introduce "improvements". When someone makes a video they may like to show it to all of their friends and family, some of whom are not net savvy ...so if the first attempt at viewing a video leads to failure (because of the bad design of the site) this means.

808 PRO

Soxiam, I think what Zilvinas was alluding to was that this new Vimeo "test" is NOT INTUITIVE!

There's a reason why Apple OS resonates with many users, because it is simple, clean, elegant and most importantly intuitive.

New vimeo is too cluttered, too many clicks and abandons the core group of vimeo users who made it what it is today.

Who is vimeo trying to attract with this new look? 14 year old teenagers who use Twitter and Facebook?

Please... no.

The Big House

The Big House PRO

I tried it, I hated it, I went back immediately. Among other things: Privacy and basic settings now 2 separate pages, must change twice where before everything was on 1 page; overall navigation much less intuitive; overall look of pages ugly; why do I now need a password to delete my video?

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Hi.
Go to Me-> My Settings -> As the last option on page you'll see "Account deletion is not yet supported in New Vimeo. Please switch to the old design to delete this account.".

You will click on link to revert to old Vimeo ond than you will not choose to delete account of course :)

Enjoy.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Dear support (sic) team,
Might I repeat my suggestion that you do a proper survey to find out how (badly) most people feel about the new design.
And, Soxiam, was that sarcasm? Are you sixteen years old? Be cool and play nice...
The grandma reference is both a metaphor as well as a practical illustration. When someone makes a video they may like to show it to all of their friends and family, some of whom are not net savvy ...so if the first attempt at viewing a video leads to failure (because of the bad design of the site) this means there is a problem with the design.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

One more suggestion for a more democratic vimeo:
It takes me forever to remember how to find my way back to this forum.
(No I'm not a granma!)
Why not put it right out front and obvious so that vimeo members can spot it and give their opinion more spontaneously. I am sure many don't think it is possible to contribute to the improvement of vimeo ...and many, I'm sure by now just drift back to YouTube etc thinking Vimeo ain't that great after all.

Eric Mootz

Eric Mootz Plus

Sorry, but the new design also gets a "E-" from me.
Not good, really not good... wish you guys would go back to the old style and simply fix a few things instead of forcing an entirely new concept on us.

Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Terrible. How did you guys manage to make it harder to watch what I want?

Everything is broken up and the menu at the top with the hovering options is just bad. Your old design was elegant and very clean. You guys just muddied things up here.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

I can't help but think, is this new design for the staff/web designers? Give the USERS of this site what they want, i.e the old design back! I have said it before but will say it again, I HATE how the videos are stretched and it ruins my work.

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Every professional web designer would argue with this design. If I only stop by menu(s) system. But there is moore (at every aspect of it).

Marcelo do Nascimento

Marcelo do Nascimento

The design: I think it need something.
It looks big and simple (but not simple for good)
Simple as without format/style sometimes.
And a little big.

BTW. Change is good!
I know you'll do it well guys!

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

"The feedback we've received has been OVERWHELMINGLY positive!" - Vimeo Staff

ummm after reading all these posts I would say the reaction so far is overwhelmingly negative.
The profile page is a good example of what went wrong. Big colorful buttons replaced by plain black text on white background. Profile photo in upper left and the rest of the portrait thumbnails in the lower right of the screen. Scroll bar required to read bio. Menus now require lots of clicking, scrolling, and moving the mouse carefully from left to right. Entire screen shifts down if a menu is selected. All the genius of the original design has been destroyed.

Overall, It looks like a train wreck, whereas the old VIMEO was beautiful, colorful, and easy to navigate.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Here's a rough overview of some keywords I pulled out from all the comments submitted through the feedback form we had up:

27.media.tumblr.com/tumblrm1lse3pIDe1qzyo37o1500.png

Not every piece of feedback comes in through a single forum thread!

That said, I appreciate you being honest and detailed with what's bugging you about the site. You make a good point about the disconnect between the large portrait and the carousel in the sidebar below it.

Did you find yourself making the wrong choices on menus that often or that it closed on you too soon? Or that you are actively looking at content on the page while the menu shifts up or down?

As for the "train wreck" comment…come on. You were doing so well at being constructive. We do this because we love Vimeo—site AND community. As a pretty active user on here, I'm sure you've noted that we're constantly making changes and improvements based on feedback we receive. The old site is going to go, but if you want to keep helping us improve the new version, that would be both welcomed and awesome!

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Part of the problem is I loved the classic vimeo and then it was announced everything was going to be changed from the ground up. Quite a shock to the system.

Here's a few specific issues I am having during the adjustment period:

I am having a difficult time getting from my profile to my homepage because it's no longer in the "ME" dropdown menu.

I would like to have the option to NOT show my "Recently Uploaded" videos on my profile page.
Same with "Recently Followed" which seems like an unnecessary feature that adds clutter.

Note- Since I am always logged in I'm not exactly sure how my profile page will look to other users, but having the "7 following" in the list of "My Stuff" is not something I feel should be broadcast publicly.

I wish there was MORE emphasis on "my channels" because those are the main reason I have vimeo. On the video page the channel names are truncated and practically non-existent.
For example on the "Related Collections" my "Seward Skateboard Archive" is displayed as "Seward Skatebo..."

Once inside the channels (vimeo land gallery rocks) I have noticed some nice improvements such as the description being featured below the video without requiring an extra click. Also clicking on the thumbnail OR video title will keep the user inside the channel. In the old channels, clicking on the video title would take you out of the channel and straight to the main video page which was annoying.

I also like the dark grey background of the new channels. It looks a lot nicer than the bright WHITE of the main video page, which reminds me of watching a DVD in the living room with all the lights on. I wish the main video pages looked as nice as the channels. For this reason I like to send channel links instead of video links.

One feature that could be added to the channels is for creator to choose if it's 16:9 or 4:3 or mixed and the channel format would change accordingly. The 4:3 videos looks a little goofy with the black bars on the sides. Plus the text descriptions, play bar, etc are clearly designed for 16:9 widescreen.

From a main video page I actually like that the "More Videos" tab is kind of hidden, because when I send a direct link to a video I don't necessarily want them to notice all my other videos. However, I don't know if this was your intention, because it's certainly harder to find.

thanks
kris

808 PRO

Kevin Sweeney? You are engaging in semantics, selectively searching for the words "hate" and "dislike" does not represent the full-range of dis-satisfaction and "constructive criticism" regarding this new look/design. Furthermore, there will always be the "masses" who will be happy despite ANY change you implement. That is a given, you should be focused on the 'super-users' who CARE about these changes.

These are the people who will bring new members over, do the word-of-mouth for you, pay subscriptions, defend Vimeo at a hipster-bar in Brooklyn, etc.

The problem is that you are ignoring the core users who actually USE Vimeo for specific purposes.

Are YOU responsible for this new look? Are you the project manager in charge of this?

Judging by how you seem so vested in this project, I would not be surprised if you were somehow closely tied in to this redesign/redevelopment.

It seems like you are pretty intent on pushing this "meta social" look regardless of feedback. That not only speak volumes about your character and integrity, but you are actually undermining the hard work done by your coworkers such as Andrea Allen, Daniel Hayek, Blake Whitman, etc. who listen and interact and build relationships with the community.

Your high-handed and snobby approach to users are not your forte, you should probably make a point to not engage with Vimeo users as you are doing more damage than good (in my opinion, you are a joykill).

So I would like to know if you, Kevin Sweeney will take full responsibility and restore Vimeo to it's glory when time comes to answer why this new Vimeo-meta look doesn't take off. Vimeo users are not social-media drones, we are intelligent and use it for a specific purpose. If you want to work on a social media product than more power to you, but you should do that on your own time instead of pushing the dialogue to morph Vimeo into some subpar social-media site.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hey Bobby! (You can just call me Kevin, by the way)

Like I said, "rough overview". But reading through the feedback (and not just picking out words), it still rounds out towards the positive end of the spectrum. You could also say that no matter what, there will be people unhappy about any change. That's just the way it goes and we do the best we can to make everyone happy. You're very right though—the feedback doesn't apply any type of weight to our "core-users" as you state. Maybe we can filter that more closely.

Bobby you've been very vocal in stating that you don't like the new look, but your feedback has also been very generalized. You don't like the design and you feel that you have to make more clicks. That's fair enough I suppose, but is it the actual execution of the style, the structuring of information, or something else that you disagree with? What extra clicks did you find yourself making?

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Oh and Kris, thanks for the feedback. We'll take your profile changes under consideration! I'll see if there's any compromise to not truncating channel/collection names. At the very least we can include a tooltip when you hover the link so that the full title is displayed.

I didn't understand the first point of getting between your profile and your homepage? Could you please clarify which homepage you were referring to?

Mihael Tominšek

Mihael Tominšek Plus

Its obvious (Kevin) that you insist thats new Vimeo is good, period. Every comment here I can sign too. People write with many words, but all they describe relatively the same: New Vimeo introduces some improvements, but it is generaly big step back or aside from old Vimeo we love.

Before I put some exaples, I must say that I came to Vimeo bacause community, simplicity, ease of use, professional look... NOT because price, space or video quality. I did extensive picture quality test on several video hosting services before I choosen Vimeo. Vimeo is not the best what regards picture quality. It's only third (or forth). Even Youtube have far superior playback engine and better picture quality (and it's free). So.

New design what regards professional web design standards is on apprentice level:
- jumping site (because of menues, or other cause) - forbidden in professional design
- menus shattered all over - highly undesirable in professional design
- scrolling bars (other than up/down if page is longer) - deadly sin
- frames inside page - so 1999 (with scroll bars!!)
- 960 pixel wide??? We lost CRT's 5-10 years ago. New common standard is 1280px now (you always can make fluid page, mobile virsion too). On nettops with Atom cpu nobody will manage Videos anyway.
- Icons compared to text?? I also hated Corel, Adobe and other software houses when they make all icons same color (nice to view, pain to use). Why they think video ediotors are paying big money for coloured keys on keyboards?
That's only touching design. But there is also usage of new Vimeo, which others (native english speakers) are able to represent better than me.

New Vimeo is slower to operate a lot:
- learning where is what (and why is there)
- way more clicking (after you learn where is what)
- a lot slower page loading (I have i7-2600K/16GB/2xSSD on 15MBps DSL)!

I can't see the point in new vimeo: It looks Vimeo want to stop community growing and resources usage. Or to slowly abandon service, when enough people will go away?
- "more videos" is now just a link so marginaly visible, no one realy vant to click that (why should?).
- menu are dropdown and horizontal sliding, which does not even overlay page as before, but pushes it down. "This is test" can not be excuse for this flaw by any mean. Any professional designer would say NO to this "idea" even before was done.

On short: New Vimeo is slover, non ituitive and stuffed.
I hope this "test" will go off and all good solution from new Vimeo will be added to old one. Which can be wider with bigger icons. But in same layout.

Justin Dickinson

Justin Dickinson Staff

Hi Kristopher, bobby, Mihael. I can't speak for Kevin but I know one of the reasons I love the community so much is because of people like you who really take their time to share their opinion. We are all striving for the best Vimeo possible and I'm excited to help the progress.

In terms of Vimeo, that's exactly what this new design is: progress. When you look at the old Vimeo it is very different than what it started out as. The New Vimeo will also evolve in the same way. When we say the feedback is positive that doesn't mean that we think we're done and close up shop. This new design is just a beginning and we will always evolve it to be better and serve the needs of as many users as possible. In fact, we have made many changes since we started rolling out the new design based on feedback like yours.

TL;DR...stick with us, this is just the beginning!

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Justin & Kevin,
I make this suggestion yet again: why don't you just put this community commentary section/forum out front on the intro page nice and clear for people to see. And encourage them to have an opinion. Even say: not everyone likes the new vimeo, what do YOU think? It really is not that easy to find your way to the forum. I look at the new design and am again befuddled. It takes too long to get to what I want, so I move on or look for the Forum (...and have difficulty finding it: more frustration >>>net rage!!!). I'm neither an expert nor a dummy, but I know that I like to find a nice menu to choose from in page 1, not a big picture in my face. Either I've got everything there or it's one click away. But no longer. Give us some stats: are you losing views since the new effort? I'm surprised if you are not. Just like Mihael, I decided to use vimeo as my principal to put my videos online because I liked it, despite the fact that at least two others were technically sharper and more reliable. I even recommend it to others, but now... Also I get the impression that you don't really respond well to peoples complaints here. I get the impression you are all very inexperienced in the 'keeping the customer satisfied' department. And young? ...So why not open a proper forum on page 1, get everyone's opinion, design a video site that really is designed to keep their diverse community happy and make it grow. Vimeo needs YOU; vimeo needs US. Make me wanna stay.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

PS: if you want one simple reason why the new presentation doesn't work: you gave us something we already had and used it to push out other useful stuff (off the front page). I don't need a big image to start with; I already know how to use full screen with one click, and click back using escape, when I also want to see an interesting menu of possibilities.

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

@ Kevin Sweeney, you obviously don't 'love' the community as you aren't giving us, the users, what we want out of the service. We made the choice to use this medium as a means of showcasing our work to the best standard we can but generally, people don't like how it jeopardises their creativity. I wonder if people are thinking about leaving the site but what keeps them still here (and I for one) is the work we've done in getting viewings, comments and 'likes' up and generally integrating ourselves in this 'community'.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Feeling kinda screwed right now. I just paid for Vimeo Plus and now, 2 weeks or so later I am being told that 80% of my content will not be HD because the "new, improved" Vimeo can't play portrait oriented videos in HD anymore.
So here is my suggestion. Fix the new Vimeo so that it still has the same very basic functionality (portrait orientation) of the old Vimeo. If it just can't, or won't be done, please tell me now so I can prepare.

A Dewey

A Dewey Plus

A Dewey Plus 4 hours ago

Hello
I'm okay with the new format, but:
I have a few Videos on my site but have them Password Protected. They still play & display though with a Password Banner across the top. Even when i am not logged in i can see them & can play them too. I assume anyone can also see them.
Stats are now a real pain. It takes forever to load the stats, when it does load i like the line graph but i preferred the listed info always viewable as it was before, if i want more info after seeing total views i'd prefer to click a button to see more but at least show the total views first please!!
At first after the change it was possible to play videos in the multiple viewer display... now i have to click: Other Videos to see the whole batch but when i click on the video & wait... it does nothing, just shows the still image but Player is not available until i Refresh, then all the other videos disappear!! I have to Play then click Other Videos then select one then Refresh to get it to play. Takes a lot of extra time.
Thanks, i love Vimeo, truely i do!!
Edit / Delete / #
Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff 1 hour ago

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it. Would you mind posting what you wrote in our feature request forum so that the right eyes see it? vimeo.com/forum:feature_requests

In regards to the password protected videos showing, can you link me to the website where they are embedded?
A Dewey

A Dewey Plus 18 minutes ago

I have them only on Vimeo. Settings are to be password protected & in the past when i was not logged in they would not even show up. If i logged in i could see them & play them or if i sent a link & password to my clients, only they could see the videos. Now two of the three i currently have up are visible & playable to anyone.
A Dewey

A Dewey Plus 17 minutes ago

Link does not direct to requests... "Page not found".
A Dewey

A Dewey Plus 4 minutes ago

Okay got it: link needs / not : between forum & feature
vimeo.com/forum/feature_requests
Thanks, did post it there.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

This seems to be saying that this debate is scattered and disorganised. Let's have a proper forum and publicise it.

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

the stats on the new homepage is fine because it's the same format as the "classic stats"
Example: Sat, April 21st being in the upper left and "plays, likes, comments" on top.

However, when i click on the individual stats for a video, the format is flipped around completely.
Example: Sat, April 21st is now in the LOWER RIGHT and the top bar reads "comments, likes plays"

Why is it flipped? very confusing. I also dislike the extra click (and load time) to see the stats on the main video page.

Another minor detail that bothers me is: we used to be able to sort video by oldest or newest, but those options have been replaced by "date" which only sorts in order of most recent.

I'm not sure if anyone uses myspace anymore, but I like how their menus require a mouse click instead of just mouse over. It's makes them more stable and less jumpy. Trying to navigate the new vimeo menus requires precision mouse work. Plus the page jumps/shifts up and down which adds to the distraction.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

“Another minor detail that bothers me is: we used to be able to sort video by oldest or newest, but those options have been replaced by "date" which only sorts in order of most recent.”

Hmm...that's not right. You should be able to sort both ways. Will have a look at that this week. Is that also on the stats browse page? Or are you referring to the individual chart pages?

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes, I agree with Kristopher; the new unwieldy stats (because of the time it takes) is a problem.

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Hey Kevin. Any word on HD for portrait oriented videos?

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hey Visionlux! Not 100% sure what you're referring to, but I think it warrants a separate topic. Mind creating one (same forum)?

Michael Booth

Michael Booth Plus

Really not liking the new Vimeo design. It was perfectly okay before.

Christos M. Kotsovos

Christos M. Kotsovos Plus

Hey thanks for making your video site less innovative and more annoying for people to look at. Seriously in the last 4 hours I got emails, from prospective clients complaining how they can't view my older videos. Another client wanted me to re-upload an old video. OK so I did (Keep in mind I developed a system to make my compressed videos upload seamlessly without the need for serious conversion) usually I upload a video wait in line and the video would literally play after my spot in line was finished. But a funny thing happened, not only has it not started but I got a message saying "We've got good news for you: Your video will begin converting momentarily, we will send an e-mail when it's ready" Ok it shouldn't say that, it should start right away since the video is already formated to your website parameters. Then I saw within the same message, you guys are asking that I should switch to Vimeo Plus, there would be no wait. Look I'm all for a company to generate revenue, but you shouldn't punish basic users to force them into buying you plus service. Also you guys are basically pulling the same nonsense that DIGG did in terms of redesigning your interface, without giving users the ability to choose from one look to another. From a design standpoint the reason I refused this new awful look, Is because I want people to see my entire video section when they click on my name. Instead they see recently uploaded, the people who subscribed to me, and recent comments. If they want to see all my videos, they have to go to another video page within the same video page to view my past videos. You understand how counter productive that is? You added an extra step that shouldn't be there, the user should have a say on what there homepage interface should look like to people who view them. In fact you have an opportunity to try something that Youtube, BlipTv, and many others haven't tried yet. Give the users the option to completely control the look of there homepage interface. It's sounds very simple, let them decide what they want people to see when they view there homepage. Other then that I will still use your service, but wow you guys really dropped the ball on this one. And I can't wait to see, what disinterested lazy snarky response I will receive from your staff for pointing out there design flaws,

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hey Christos! What type of customizations would you like to see on your profile page? It's always a dangerous game when you open this up to users. Take MySpace for example. Not that we're completely against glitter and unicorns, of course… :)

To that point, if we did something like that, it might be more along the lines of choosing a theme (like we currently offer with Groups and Channels). Would love to hear specific ideas from you though!

Addressing your transcoding issues, I recommend that you post your issues in this thread: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:16738. Note that even though your video is uploaded within our specifications, we may still need to convert it to other formats (again, the above topic can probably answer the specifics of your issues).

Christos M. Kotsovos

Simple I would like the option to formate the layout to my needs. Just a simple interface that I can choose what I want and don't want to show.
As for the smart ass unicorn myspace reply. The vast majority who use this site are business professionals and artist. You be amazed at the level of creativity and originality if you let us create our own layouts. It's that level of cocky arrogance in your response, that causing this current uproar over the lack of trust you display in your users needs.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I agree with Christos. If I do a mailing and send people to see a video, I want them to see easily that there are other videos there and they can spend time or they have the choice not to but can come back later etc... bearing in mind that some are tecchies and some are not. We need to make page one interesting for both geeks and grannies, and give all the option or even the desire to watch another one (as suggested by the user/filmmaker)...

Austin Briggs

Austin Briggs

Le Sigh...

I like some of the NEW looks of the New Vimeo. BUT I also think functionality went down the tubes

To make it an easier read for our forlorn yet resilient and polite Vimeo staff here are things I personally like and don't like:

LIKE:
The less cluttered look,
Nice color schemes
Fonts

STRONGY DISLIKE:

NEW PLAYER SIZE (ONLY ONE LARGE WINDOW SIZE???)

For folks like me trying to keep 16mm film alive, I work in 4:3 SD, the new PLAYER WINDOW is crushing my QUALITY, videos now appear pixelated after ALREADY being compressed to heck by Vimeo

STATISTICS ARE BURIED IN VERY SLUGGISH AND SLOW DROP DOWN MENUS

As others have commented, I liked the old Stats appearing ALREADY on the page as the video for quick glances. I don't want to click ... Wait .. Click again ... Loading .. By that point I stopped caring how many views a video received!

BRING BACK OTHER VIDEOS SIDE SCROLL BAR!

Now there's no way for someone to view other videos I've done without having to click back on my main profile or search for a TINY little after thought box buried at the bottom to find my other videos I made.

Those are my main three issues. Will myself and others see these implemented after the beta? Probably not, but Vimeo only has to learn from other tech company mistakes like Facebook and see how people will not use a service when complaints aren't listened to

Thanks!

AleG

AleG

This morning when I opened Vimeo I saw that it had, again, changed to the new design.
Looking around how to revert to the old it dawned on me why the new top menu bar rubs me the wrong way, a gray menu bar spreading horizontally jerking the page down... were did I saw that before?, oh yes, Youtube. I actually stopped using Youtube when they changed that from the drop down menu, it was the proverbial drop of water.
I find it dismal that Vimeo has come to this, copying Youtube.

AleG

AleG

Incidentally, and if I may reply to myself...
-I would like (no, really) to know how the new menu is better than the previous simple drop down.
It doesn't scan easier, because your eyes are focused on the item you just clicked and the new items pop out bellow, left and right from that.
-It's less ergonomic, because instead of simply moving the pointer down from the item you just clicked you have to make an L shape, being careful not to move over another menu item and then you have to start over again.
-It's jarring, it jerks the whole page down.
-It's less compact, everything is farther apart and the options have lengthier texts.

Now that's what I, personally, find wrong with that particular design... eh, feature. That is to say, I honestly don't see how this could be better than what we have before, so I'm curious if anyone could explain it to me why it is supposed to be an improvement.

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

I hope Vimeo will hear the critiques. I'm happy that I could opt-out using a link found in the forum. I was almost going to move on from vimeo plus here and find another alternative.

=====

I'm forced back to the new design again after I opted out ! ... can someone tells me why should there be force? what's cool about it? Is this caring about users? (not to mention we are a paid user).

tim hahne

tim hahne Plus

Hey Justin. (and the rest of the team)

I´m here for quite a while, had a lot of success with my vids and always thank vimeo for giving us filmmakers such a beautiful platform.

But how can anyone find it better to search for stats than to see them at first glance? And that it takes minutes for them to build up... Very bad if I want to demonstrate the success of my ideas to possible clients. Also the embed statistics are missing. I´ve been talking about this with a lot of collegues and couldn´t find anyone seeing this as improvement.

Second: The quality of the videos has decreased a lot. That´s really a shame, because before the "new vimeo" was launched, you´ve been a clear benchmark.

The rest is not only a question of taste. I miss the clarity of the old design. And I hope you have an ear for us filmmakers...

Tim

Justin Dickinson

Justin Dickinson Staff

Hey Tim, thanks for your feedback. We are definitely working all the time to make the New Vimeo faster and perform better. I'm glad to hear you've had success with your videos!

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Pillarboxing non HD aspect ratio videos is the aesthetic equivalent of duct taping a picture frame to a wall.

Lostanastacia

Lostanastacia

I don't like new vimeo too
I wanna delete watched videos from the feed..

Christos M. Kotsovos

So Justin, are you guys getting the huge HINT. That people don't like this new terribly flawed design? Your giant video viewer is a piece of crap. It's stretching and pixelating an already compressed video. But hey you will just say "We are definitely working all the time to make the New Vimeo faster and perform better." With this level of belligerence, that you give in your response. Don't be surprised when people start complaining even more.
See instead acting like an adult and directly answering all this criticism, you give simple responses hoping that we will all go away eventually.

Here something constructive, Post a poll on the front of the Vimeo Home page asking people what they think of your new design. I know you won't do this because Vimeo designers are scared to face reality. But you guys have to face the truth and meet the needs of your users, not your design staff.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Well done Christos. I've been trying to hold back. Yes we need a page one forum, not something that's hidden in the back. All of the complaints here seem to be falling on deaf ears. There is an odd helpless tone to the responses by our young help staff. But let's make an opportunity of this disaster. Why don't you survey everyone on vimeo, get a demographic of our diversity, give us an idea of who we are, where we are and why we are here... if you take this approach, a genuine effort at inclusiveness, you can double your population and qadruple your viewings in one or two years. People power!

Robert Fleming

Robert Fleming

I can understand a bit of change, but "PLEASE" GO BACK TO THE OLD DESIGN VIMEO!!!!!!!!!!!

surfimp

surfimp Plus

The new design sucks... sorry guys. Don't force this down our throats.

I will seriously considering going elsewhere if this is really going to be non-optional.

LaRose Media

LaRose Media PRO

where else is there besides dreaded youtube? Any suggestions?

Josh Gralton

Josh Gralton

Vimeo's new design in a disaster, It was hands down the best video sharing site online... won't be long before I have to switch back to YouTube..yuck :/

Dillon Brown

Dillon Brown Plus

I would like to echo the sentiments in this thread. This new design is absolutely terrible and flawed. Let me list the ways I've found it to be without a doubt one of the worst redesigns I've ever seen.

1) The color bar at the top - extremely tacky looking. Why even necessary? Serves no purpose.

2) The drop down menus. Terrible UI functionality to find things.

3) When not logged in the homepage is pretty absurd. What's with the tree theme? And why on even a 17" MacBook Pro screen do you need to scroll down to even see the video? What's with the homepage that has different really distracting and confusing sections? Starts with the really odd tree design, then goes to the video section, then the Vimeo Festival section, then the info. section, then the Vimeo Plus section, then another tree section. I would be totally put off by how much info. is thrown at you on the first page if I hadn't ever been to the site yet and had no clue what Vimeo was.

4) The uploading functionality is very bad compared to the old design. Who needs an upload throttler? Why would I want to limit how fast I can upload to Vimeo?
I was uploading a video the other day and the transfer speed and time remaining were completely off. It said 20 minutes remaining but ended up taking 2 hours to upload. Not indicating proper upload speeds. I also had an upload fail for no apparent reason, as the internet connection was fine.

5) Where can you see other videos by the same Vimeo user without clicking around? They used to be to the right of the video which was great. Shouldn't the goal of any video sharing site to allow for content creators to display all their work easily?

6) The multi-colored look of the site is very off-putting and not easy to read. And it looks tacky.

Shouldn't the goal of design be to constantly make ease of functionality the number 1 priority and constantly be working towards simplicity of delivering content? The amount of clutter on the homepage is pretty ridiculous.

I love Vimeo and have been a huge fan for a long time but I really can't fathom why these changes are even considered necessary. Vimeo was the best online platform for content distribution in my opinion, but now it's really taken a dive.

LaRose Media

LaRose Media PRO

Yea the oversized viewer is probably what I have the biggest problem with, it makes the videos look terrible. Along with much longer uploading times and everything else echoed above..Please stick to what worked!! Vimeo was such an amazing tool in the past, if it was never broken before why fix it??

Rein de Lege

Rein de Lege

All of a sudden I see my videos in vimeo in the "new design" and I really don´t like it at all!
Is it possible to change it back to the "good old vimeo"?

Midway

Midway Plus

I've been touch with support over this and am really unhappy with the new layout... and echo all of the above comments!!

What was worse on our end is that the uploading is not working on the new design... we spent days updating both browsers, and thus had to upgrade our OS as well and still no luck! Finally upon our request, Vimeo switched our account back to the old design and all worked perfect!!!

Yeah, very disappointed overall by this whole thing!!

Why change what works? Facebook, Gmail etc... both just did that.. all in an effort to improve their sites... but also took steps backwards! But those are free and we really have no control... but VIMEO, we pay for... and do so as a statement of good faith in what you guys are doing over there... but when I read this thread and then see our own experience in the past week, it really feels like no one is listening at all!

JSM

JSM Plus

These multi-billion dollar corporations such as IAC could care less about our objections to a re-designed website. They are going to do what they want to do and hire lemmings and retread executives who have made names for themselves ruining other sites to satisfy their bloated ego's. Vimeo is a perfect example of that mentality.

This "Staff" acts like they are listening to the concerns but in reality are laughing behind our backs and doing everything possible to forward the company agenda. Forums are locked when the protests build and once you discover how to load the old site, the new one will automatically pop back up. I find it quite insulting to be treated in this manner.

Just observe how this staff has responded. I have yet to see anything about considerations of permanent OPT OUT of the new site for the old. No, they keep saying how they are listening and it is a work in progress. Balony! Their whole concept in this new site is so radical, it will never appeal to the majority of Vimeo's members, no matter what they tweak.

So, prepare for doomsday as probably sooner than later they will turn off the old site permanently and we will be left with the garbage they have created.

Kate Swoboda

Kate Swoboda Plus

"This "Staff" acts like they are listening to the concerns but in reality are laughing behind our backs"

--completely agreed. I'm not normally someone to post to forums like this at all, but coming here to read about the "improvements" purely to educate myself about them, and then seeing the smug, condescending reactions of those "sorry about that" responses has left a really poor taste in my mouth. I've always really liked and respected Vimeo, and this experience is a true disappointment.

OnsdagsSporten

OnsdagsSporten PRO

Hi´there!
I think the new Vimeo sucks - and I dont like to be forced to use it. Vimeo er digging its own grave here. I have payed for upgrade to Plus 2 times ; first and last. I´ll proberly return to mu loved blip.tv

Tom
OnsdagsSporten

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes, it's becoming clear that 'staff' have stopped responding. Now that we have started to question their programmed 'have-a-nice-day' line of deafness. The big question is: do they really not have a clue what they are doing or are they following some kind of corporate agenda (albeit a meaningless one)?. I cannot see how this could be good business. Vimeo has built itself a great reputation over the years (despite some tech shortcomings) and these kids are throwing it away. What is interesting about this problem they have created with their own company is that we are now curious about who or what vimeo is and who makes the decisions. Nothing like this is available on the vimeo site. How many mebers, how many videos and a ton of other things that it would be interesting to know and could probably make the 'community' bigger and stronger.
As it is I get the impression we are being 'ruled' bu a bunch of inept 20-something geeks who think filmmaking is pointing your iPhone at something on the way to the office.
By the way Dae Mellencamp is the Chief Executive Officer of Vimeo and some general info can be had at:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimeo
The people protesting here are not that numerous. I believe that this is because it is so difficult to finally locate this forum. Many vimeo users will just shrug and say another great site gone wrong and move on. Others among us get angry, it's a virtual movie house that we "live" in and where we like to invite our family, friends and clients to. It would be interesting to activate your own vimeo contacts and ask them to give an opinion and maybe find ways to change things back.
Yes there is a way to change it back temporarily: by going to settings and changing back to unsubscribe and then not actually unsubscribing... there is a scary moment of course because despite everything we want to stay.
Soon after, when you are back to the old friendly version, you will also get that top of page question that first (deliberately) makes you feel out of touch saying there is a new version and being offered two choices: "try it now" or "I hate change" ...what a manipulation! We all like change when it is genuinely for the better. We hate the backward change you are offering us to (one of) our favourite site(s). And we don't want to have to go back to the shopping mall that is YouTube.
So let's get on to the CEO and find out if the new vimeo business plan is looking for a different kind of member and client than us.

Nico Turner

Nico Turner Plus

Please change it back! Was there people crying out for change before you decided to shake everything up? And where can I see all these "Positive comments"? It's a shame as you guys really had the market and I never thought I'd pay to host my videos online but I did with you and now.. You change what I paid for? Surely that's not right!

Main changes I'd like to see:

Old embed code (my website uses it!)
My other videos on the side of the video (what the christ made you change this?)

Im going to have more of a look around the site but as of yet it feels really clunky and horrible compared to the old design,

Thanks
NT

strange circuit

strange circuit

hi,

old design please! the new design doesnt work well for a lot of reasons and is really terrible with 4:3 video and on small monitors.

thanks

Rein de Lege

Rein de Lege

Thanks a lot to make it possible for me to go back the old vimeo!

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Thanks Michael for the date check ...though I wouldn't go back to Germany in the 30s on this one, we agree on the high handed nature of this. I'm more tuned to the juvenile dumbness theory of how this nonsense happened and ...in the end vimeo is just a video website that we would like to keep honest, to save us breaking continuity and drifting to the next one (someone mentioned blip.tv?) that is created to fill the gap if they don't re-connect with what they are about ...but if they think they can do better business this way, that's life. But I don't think so.
But let's keep plugging for a proper users survey. Begin by asking your contacts to have an opinion and express it here. Good or bad.

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

kevin,

to clarify about the homepage thing: On the old vimeo the first option in the ME dropdown menu was "My Homepage"

This is no longer available in the new vimeo. The only way I access my homepage is scroll to the bottom of the page where it is listed in plain text under the ME column.

Not a big deal, but still somewhat confusing. It took me a few days to figure it out.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is the discontinuation of the word "contacts"
Instead they are referred to as "followers" which sounds a bit cult-ish.

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Hi Kristopher-

You can also click on the Vimeo logo to go home.

Spencer Boomhower

Spencer Boomhower

My overriding impression of the new design is of being presented with a whole bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with me. Maybe I just don't know my way around the new layout, but I suspect there's a strategy at work.

I prefer the way the old design looked. MUCH preferred. I can still load the old site design in my Firefox browser for some reason, and thus can do a side-to-side comparison.

I miss the clarity of the old design, and especially miss what the color choices brought to the navigation. Looking at the old design, each color delineated segments of what could otherwise be an overloaded layout: blue for an ad, yellow for tags, green for credits, red for stats. All slightly muted, but somehow just bright enough to seem sunny. The old design had a friendly, welcoming character because of this.

The new colors seem pale and washed out. And the navigability suffers for it. Elements don't stand out from one another. And it seems to be trying to be something other than the Vimeo I came to enjoy; some bastard child of Web 2.0 market research and a Wordpress template. Not welcoming.

I definitely prefer being able to go to a video and see the stats without clicking "stats."

I don't particularly like the scaled-up videos. As others have mentioned, they look pixelated.

Basically it's a big case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

For me it was always a choice between Vimeo and YouTube, and Vimeo always won out through its friendly character, and the fact that it seemed to genuinely value the creators who posted to the site. I was happy to pay for the pro version! (Mainly so I could show videos on mobile, but still!) But that that thing I valued about Vimeo has been diminished. It's still probably not bad enough to get me to go to YouTube, but it's sad to see something that was so good get thrown out.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Nice going Spencer, I copied your comment on your home page "I don't much like the Vimeo design. Neither do some others: vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:54849"; ...this can be something to forward to your vimeo contacts because it is not easy to find this forum. Yhough not everyone likes to get involved in discussions or protests like this, but some may agree enough to do so.
I like change ...when it is good change. Meanwhile I systematically go back to the old version, and the site systematically flips it back to the (awful) new version every day.
Also totally agree with your comment on the instant availability of stats. Even if we have a small audience we like to see activity at a glance and not have to go through a click and delay process to find out.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes, Michael, thanks, I'd looked at a few of the other videos but not that one. We're all different and I'm sure even our individual videos might not interest each other so much. That's not the point of vimeo to me. Which is that it gives us all the possibility to have our own minority or niche channel and promote it however we can. For an audience of 7 people if we like. But when I get this 'superior' "we've decided for you" approach to the change, I can't help wondering and going to see their work ...and it explains a lot, I'm afraid.
Is it policy to turn vimeo into a kind of social network, like some facebook imitator just to get more hits?

sumoman

sumoman

Vimeo seems to be copying youtube in going to stretched, cropped, thumbnails, i.e. the things which made vimeo superior to youtube are now being made more youtube like and thus less superior.

808 PRO

The sad thing is that in other circumstances, the "original design" would be the new improved Vimeo.

Forcing people to choose between "I hate change" and the 'New Vimeo' creates a false dichotomy between "being stuck in the past" and being "innovative."

It is disingenuous at worst and crude at best. It might work for youtubers, but I'd say that the Vimeo crowd is smarter than the average internet user.

You can't pull a fast one on us Vimeo! We're too smart for that! Please take some time to do some self-reflection and think really hard about staying true to Vimeo and it's philosophy or "selling out."

You guys are at a fork in the road here, and life will ALWAYS reward the people who make the right choices. In this case, the new Vimeo is a step in the wrong direction.

Two Headed Snake Productions

Two Headed Snake Productions

The half-screen default display should at the very least be changed to give us the option of a smaller default display, as this is degrading the quality of many of my videos from optimum quality when I want to display videos for a client, which for me is why I pay for vimeo plus.

US Antigoon

US Antigoon Plus

Cannot understand Vimeo's business model..Indeed this "I hate change" is very insulting..Once you log out and log in again you default to the new version in which I am lost...
To find out how to get back to the Old version is almost impossible.. I had to read the Forum here to find a link.. Unbelievable.. I left Flickr, Picasa and then You Tube for similar reasons...
VIMEO, are you guys understanding what is going (voice of the customer) on or just not understanding what being "Customer driven" means.. Alas you might find out the hard way...(Read the Nextel story one more time will you...)

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Yep. The second I saw the "I hate change" banner I was thinking "Oh, thanks Vimeo for giving me the choice of being a "change hater" or a "super awesome open minded individual, capable of taking on new ideas".
What's next? "You are either with the new Vimeo or you are against the new Vimeo"?

Kate Swoboda

Kate Swoboda Plus

Sure, visually, things look nice--but in terms of what I now need to do on the backend to get a video set up and ready to go--the different screens, the waiting for an ENTIRE VIDEO to convert before I can grab the embed code, etc., this redesign was a massive waste of money.

I have to click through MORE options now to get my videos set up and ready to go. That's means more clicking with a mouse for someone who already has computer-related issues with her wrist.

The old Vimeo setup had the various options I needed in a more compact format, which means I didn't need to scroll or do any extra clicking to jump between them.

Also agreed with Visionlux--as your customer, I resent this "I hate change" move. It's manipulative on Vimeo's part.

I dig change when it reaps positive rewards for the people involved. I "hate change" when it creates problems and inconveniences, impedes my progress, wastes my time, and then when customer service staff post a bunch of smug "sorry you feel that way" responses throughout the comments that customers are leaving.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Amen, Kate, "smug" is the word I was looking for but couldn't find for the red mist of my ire :-)

Kasra Design

Kasra Design Plus

I complained about the new design here a few times (3 times exactly - 2 reply to staff + 1 forum post) and my account was flagged by staff as SPAMMER !!!!!

Why is that? every one says something that Vimeo doesn't like to hear will be accused a spammer?

This is really embarrassing guys. Really really disappointing.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Can we get some kind of sense of whether the vimeo management is following this forum or not (I can see why the staff might prefer to hide it). Please confirm.
...and preferably put a link to the front page for those vimeo users who are not aware of this debate, and may be suffering in silence.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Trawling through this thread I came across a staff message here from 3 weeks ago that sends us to a blog explaining the changes ...sure enough, that blog started with brief enthusiastic messages (oh wow, vimeo is going to be even better!) before gradually evolving to reflect the growing disappointment of this botched change.
Go to it and see vimeo.com/blog:473

PS: another suggestion for vimeo: is it possible to unify the different threads to this discussion? They seem to be lost in remote corners of the site.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Vimeo staff *ARE* trying very diligently to unify this discussion - to give them credit.

They are locking newer threads about the various drawbacks and failings of the "New" Vimeo (I have seen very, very few posts saying how good/useful/easy-to-use etc. the "New" Vimeo is) and sending people who can accurately identify the many difficulties - too much clicking / too big vid window / flickering horizontal drop down menus / drab downbeat color scheme / hidden stats that take way too long to load / comments too prominent / thumbnails too small etc.... - and sending these clear-sighted, intelligent Vimeo users - many of them paying customers - here.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Fair enough. Maybe that is the case.
But this thread and the other one at vimeo.com/blog:473 are two that I found by chance. And the 473 one I almost skipped when I saw the initial sheep-like enthusiasm that people showed 3 months ago. Only to find that with time and experience people could see past the hype and decide for themselves; in fact it reassured me about online opinion forming among people.
Not always the way as you well know.
I imagine that there are infinitely more people with something to say who are not aware of this debate (mutiny? ;-)
My suggestion is to make it nice and clear on the intro pages once you come to vimeo.
I think such an inclusiveness would actually be very good for business for vimeo :-) It would bring them more users and even more loyalty.

Zibal D.sign

Zibal D.sign

I wanna go back to old design!!! I don't like the new design!!! :(

BKM Pictures

BKM Pictures Plus

I switched to youtube. i only use vimeo now when i have to deal with youtube's copyright agreement. The old vimeo was simple, thats what i liked about it. it was its own thing....now its like youtube, just not as user friendly.

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for letting us know what you think of the new Vimeo. While posting to this thread, please keep a few things in mind.

• The staff is paying very close attention to what is said here.

• Being specific with your feedback is the best. Explain the features you'd like to see. Explain in detail how you're using the site and how you'd like to see it work differently. This helps us help you!

• Please be constructive and respectful.

I am personally monitoring this thread on a daily basis along with other members of the staff.

As someone who has been using Vimeo for 6 years and worked at Vimeo for 3 years, I feel just as strongly and passionate as many of you.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Welcome to your own party Andrea,
It would be good of you to first acknowledge that pretty much everyone on this thread clearly prefers the old version and would probably welcome a straight swap back to the good old days.
You're very sweet to say nice fuzzy warm things but you are not addressing the questions. It even seems you are avoiding them. Hopefully Dae Mellencamp is keeping an eye on proceedings also. Vimeo has great potential as long as it does not try to be facebook or YouTube. Be yourself, that's what you are good at.
Also, the vimeo.com/blog:473 thread that was launched carries a long list of enthusiastic approval for the pending new vimeo, mostly one or two words or just a short sentence. But you will see that enthusiasm is quickly replaced by disappointment as the weeks roll on and the new vimeo is rolled out.
You ask for specifics but by now you should be able to glean a long list of both specific and general complaints above... I'm not paid to do it, but let me help you out here:
- Many people hate the condescension of the "I hate change" option that was given (I keep going back to the old version and it keeps flipping back to this nasty new versio, so I see it more often) ...most of us probably like good change, so it is difficult to have to click that tab. My suggestion is that you do a proper satisfaction survey. Two ways: put something up front that is easy to find with one or two questions, such as "After x months, do you like the new version better or would you prefer the old version ...admittedly you would have to give a proper possibility to compare, so maybe a simple flip button to go back to the old, to see again... I know that this is not complicated because I do it in a roundabout way every day. Otherwise a comprehensive sample of your members and a more detailed and searching (but neutral!) questionnaire (Marketing 101 should see you through this).
- People seemed to like the version where you could see a biggish image of the selected video and have thumbnails of others by the same member. After, you could simply do a full screen click if you wanted to and 'escape' back to the smaller format easily. What you did with the new was to remove this choice.
- In general people seemed to like the number of one click away options they had with the not-uncluttered old version. Please bring this back.
- People seemed attached to the possibility of having the stats just there on the video page and not that click away.
If you want a metaphor, think of a car, you had a pretty efficient, easy to use stick shift that could do some smart moves and changes quickly and neatly. You replaced it with a oversized automatic wagon that lumbers along, is hard to park and hesitates before responding to your instructions ...and spends too much time being fixed.
Be cool, Andrea & Co, play nice, own up to the mistake, we all make them. Give us back the old or at least the option.
Meanwhile take the time to look through this thread and the other(s) and get a sense of what people are asking for. Please, no more PR nice talk. People can see through that. Let's talk turkey.
Why not also give us some stats on the community seeing as that is your position, how many are we? who are we? What are we? Why are we;-)? etc

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi Seamas,

Thanks for calling me sweet, but don't write off my sweetness as PR speak. I'm real! I'm nice! Now to your questions, comments, and concerns.

• I acknowledge that everyone on this thread is feeling frustrated by one or more aspects of the new design. We're not going to allow people to switch back to the old design. We welcome feedback on the new design and are eager to keep improving it.

• We've done surveys in the past. Future surveys are not out of the question, but right now this forum is giving us lots of good feedback right now. Surveys aren't my call, but I don't see a need to have one at this time.

• You can see more videos from a user whose video you're currently watching by clicking the more videos tab at the top right of every video page. Here's a quick tutorial on how it works: vimeo.com/38394965

• one-click away options -- I'll need more specifics on these.

• As far as Stats go, there are some ideas being considered for the Stats module. I can't go into details at the moment, but this is something we are currently in discussions about.

And now for stats on the Vimeo community (from the PR team!) Currently we have over 70 million unique visitors per month and over 10 million registered users. I think the Vimeo community is full of cool, creative people who are passionate about videos just like you and me.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I'm sorry Andrea, it sounds like PR speak to me. Or the art of evasion.
Maybe I made the mistake of writing too much; that way you could pick and choose what to respond to.
The big question is: do most people prefer the old version or not? What can you do to answer that question?

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi Seamas, We rolled out the new Vimeo to about 1,000 users a year ago to gauge response and get feedback. We took what they said into account, made changes, and then rolled it out again. For the first three weeks we had a feedback box on every page and the results were nearly all positive. For what it's worth, we had over 6,000 responses from the feedback box. Some were bug reports (which have all been fixed), the rest where straight feedback. So going by what we have seen, yes, most people like the new Vimeo.

These forums are your chance to give us feedback if you weren't able to get it in during those first three weeks.

AleG

AleG

This is the feedback I left on the video list tutorial video linked at a couple post above:

I'm sorry, but this video browser is just wrong.

-It reduces exposure to other videos to the casual visitor. Not everyone will notice the More Videos Tab, or have enough interest to open it if there isn't an eye catching thumbnail or video name next to the video frame.

-It's intrusive, it jerks down the page so you either watch the video list or the video playing back, the side video browser allow to take quick peeks to the other content. For example I like to quickly see other videos while the one on the player buffers, no need to scroll up and down the page with the side list.

-It's not ergonomic, to move back and forth in the list the arrows are on opposite sides of the screen, so you have to move the pointer from one side to the other as you navigate.

-There is no way of knowing how many videos are in the list, the side video browser displays video numbers in the list, also the scroll bar allows to quickly move to the start or the end of the list... talking about scroll bar...

-No scroll bar, besides being more convenient and faster for navigation, it's easier to find things in the list, with the one click per page approach you have to memorize how many clicks one way or another from were you started that video you were kind of interested on watching was. With the new video browser you can get easily lost if there are many videos.
In your example it displays 7 thumbnails, the vimeo staff video list (I'm using the Old Vimeo now) tells me there are 38 videos in the list, that makes for 5 and a half "pages" to navigate through, so instead of simply dragging a scroll bar one needs to press the arrow button 5 times to move from the end of the list to the start and vice versa. A scroll bar is much better IMHO.

-If you need to make a video tutorial on how to use the video list viewer then it's not so intuitive, is it? ;)

-It looks too much like a Youtube playlist, sorry, I had to say it.

-It doesn't close after pulling it down, it simply moves the page down a bit, so for example after using the video list, if I read some comments under the video, I can't simply scroll the page all the way up (or hit the home key) to have the video frame centered on the screen, I have to go all the way to the top, and then move down a little.

So... yes, a lot of things I honestly think are wrong with it; personally I much prefer the side video list viewer as in the old design, because I think it has better functionality and appeal, not because I hate change.

Spencer Boomhower

Spencer Boomhower

One thing I noticed after being switched to the new design was a usability glitch: I was uploading a password-protected video, which I've done a few times before. I entered in the password, and then went to edit the video details. Then I came back to the password section to find that my password was missing. Well of course the problem was that I hadn't hit "save changes" after entering the password. First I thought: duh, silly me. Then I wondered why I'd never had that problem before. The answer is obvious now that I've (somehow, not sure how, but thank you!) been switched back to the old design. The "save changes" button is somehow way more obvious to me in the old design. Not sure how (I'm not willing to switch back to the new design to compare), but I think it might have been that the new design required I scroll down a bit to see the "save changes" button.

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Interesting! I'll bring this up with the design team. Thanks for reporting!

Breaking Crazy

Breaking Crazy Plus

Try as I might... I really love the old design. Stats & views are right where you expect them to be. I don't see any advantages with the new design.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Hello Andrea -

It's lovely and heartening to see your prompt response to Marie.

I realize I've probably been flagged as a spammer by the Vimeo staff - [I hope not !] - I have pointed out many many "specific actions" *I'm* having trouble with in the "New" Vimeo - these areas have also been pointed out with patience and courtesy by many other members of the Vimeo community - and I have not had one single response from the Vimeo staff except to say, essentially, "We're sorry you don't like the new design...", "We ARE listening...", "This change is inevitable." - and to see many threads locked - and *THIS* thread re-titled to put the "New" Vimeo design/layout in a more positive light...

Could you please address at least *some* of the specific concerns I and many others have raised?

Thanks!

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi Irani, I'd really like to address your questions and concerns.

I did a search for the other instances of you posting to the forums and I'm going to try to address what you were responding to as best I can.

• Drop down menu issues: Be sure to watch this tutorial. Make sure you're using it the way it was designed! vimeo.com/38445381

• Vertical stripes on thumbnails that haven't been made yet. I'd like to see an update to this as well! We've used the vertical strips for many many years now.

• Font/typeface - The font and typeface has really grown on me. Give it some more time and see if it grows on you, too.

• More videos - We have a More Videos Tab now! It is located at the top right of each video page and when clicked displays more videos from the user you're watching, your feed, recently viewed, related videos, and your watch later. Here's a quick tutorial on all of its ins and outs. vimeo.com/38394965 BTW, after a video finishes playing, the tab flashes to alert the viewer!

• The top navigation menu works much better now than four weeks ago when you responded to the post here in the forum. We also have a tutorial for that which I strongly encourage you to watch. vimeo.com/38445381

• Share to Facebook comments are back!

I'm sure there are more that I missed. Feel free to bring them up and I'll do my best!

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Thanks, Andrea -

I'm off to view the tutorials and will respond positive or less than positive as the experience unfolds for me, okay?

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Hello Again Andrea -

Regarding the Nav Bar in the "New" Vimeo:

The fellow hovering his cursor so carefully in the Nav Bar vid does not convince my sore eyes, and I'll explain why:

In the White/Blue Vimeo layout - at the top there is a *narrow* dark area and when the cursor moves over it, the soothing dark area drops down like a post-it or a tab on a piece of paper. The lettering in the drop-down menu is the easy-on-the-eye dark blue/light blue against the dark charcoal grey b/g of the "tab".

In the "New" Vimeo the horizontal nav bar is much larger, and the flashing of the categories/offerings is much more obtrusive and very hard on the eyes due to the colors chosen for the design, and the ease of the cursor accidentally hovering over another category and making THAT flash at you...!

There are many posts I've read stating what I'm stating here - e.g. - "It hurts my eyes!" It's no joke. And if you DON'T hold your cursor 'just so' as the agile young dude in the video is able to do, you're confronted with a plethora of flashing text that is visually disturbing in the extreme.

As regards Stats not being immediately available in the "New" Vimeo, but subject to (yet *MORE*) clicking, waiting, and page jerking, and very difficult to decipher when they DO finally load - you haven't addressed this one here, but Soxiam is conducting a valiant rear guard action over on a few other threads, implausibly claiming that no one really wants to see the stats on other creators' videos...( - ?!!!...) -

Why make the stats subject to (yet MORE) drop down menus, when they are simple, straightforward, totally visible and immediately understandable with no page hang in the White/Blue (Best) Vimeo page design/layout...?

Thanks for the video elucidating the "More Videos" tab - This *does* actually look a little useful - * B U T * - the large-ish stream of cinema-frame thumbnails at the top of the page - near the annoying, eye-assaulting drop-down Nav bar - *does* bear an unfortunate resemblance to the "auto-load" feature on You Tube which hogs a lot of screen space and needs to be minimized in order to read any info about the vid being watched - and all those large thumbnails - again for those with sensitive eyeballs - well, they're very disconcerting in the same way the horizontal drop-down menus are in the "New" Vimeo...too much flickering!

But it *is* kind of sexy looking...

Now what about the dull uniformity of the large viewing window in the "New" Vimeo - Many Many Many Vimeo users - lots of them actual paying customers - have stated that the larger window ruins the look of their SD 4:3 vids...

And as I stated in another thread, a cool young designer dude friend of mine in London [he designs album covers for Warp records and other amazing clients] remarked that this trend to making one BIG viewing window makes using Vimeo the way *he* would like to very difficult if not impossible, as he likes to have two or three windows open on his screen so he can do work and still watch & listen at the same time...The frame size - and the CHOICE Vimeo affords in the White/Blue (*BEST*) format already addresses this - Why on Earth narrow our choices?

Sorry - new typeface dull, dull. dull. Enforcing imaginative shutdown through limiting aesthetic choice - whereas the White/Blue (BEST) Vimeo *invites* the viewer into the page and the experience of Vimeo by its elegant, gentle and soothing coordination of color, font and weight of lettering.

I'll lay off for a while now ["Whew!" she remarks] - Thanks for (finally) responding at least in part to a few of the many problems I and so many others are experiencing with the (retrograde) "New" Vimeo...

Cinema Mirage

Cinema Mirage PRO

Of ALLLLLL the comments i barely see anyone mentioning the issue of this HUGE video when we have our vids compressed down... it really takes away the point of our supposedly "crisp HD" images and forces us to use this blown out LARGE version. I am looking all over to figure out how to upload 1080 and have it stay 1080 but can't find it under the video tab and settings as was directed... sighhh

Carlos Alberto Manrique Clavijo

Carlos Alberto Manrique Clavijo

Hi. Just a bit of feedback.

I was also 'forcefully' changed to the new Vimeo and can't find the 'revert' button anywhere. It's always nice to have a choice.

On the other hand, yes, the new Vimeo has got nice illustrations but merging the 'contacts' and 'subscriptions' isn't comfortable at all. It's like having just a big bag to store all your gear in. It makes it hard to find what you're looking for.

Also, the layout doesn't work very well on laptops because all sections and thumbnails are so big now.

Thanks.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Go to your "Settings" and look around to see "Revert to the Old Vimeo to delete your account."

Click on this line of text (i believe - I rejoined the Change Haters for the fifth or sixth time just now) and this should solve the design mish mash that is the "New" Vimeo....

- but obviously don't delete your account - unless you think it might convey a strong message!

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes, that's the way I had been doing it, but a much simpler and less scary way is this way as suggested by samaryt and others above
...if you don't like the new Vimeo, click here: vimeo.com/beta/opt_out

Jonathon Beaver

Jonathon Beaver

Everytime I come on this forum, I find it quite laughable and how in denial a lot of the Vimeo staff are.

Stubborn comes to mind.

I'm sure a lot of the users on here are open minded and adaptable. Simple fact is, after this has been 'slowly' rolled out and changed, improved, whatever. A lot STILL don't like it. No point reading tutorials as the design stands for itself, i.e it's nonsensical in terms of navigation AND compromises peoples' work.

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Yes, great observation. Though even that is changing, but much too slowly and too slightly.
Up to a few weeks ago we had the "staff" blankly refuting some complaints, or asking for detail while ignoring some detailed comments, a textbook case of disingenuity (oops yes, ingenuousness!:-). Now with the swelling of the ranks of the vimeo dissatisfied, the level of "staff" deafness is only about 80-90% instead of 100%. They are waiting for this to die down giving some token agreement but still sticking to the "party line". As Michael Fraticelli says in a post 3 days ago above "...they'll have their way..." . By the way that detailed contribution made some other relevant points ...but no response from the "staff"....

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

"...a textbook case of disingenuity."

- or even disingenuousness ! :-)

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

Thanks Persian pal, I'm sure your Farsi is even finer ;-)
...although looking up the free dictionary to see where I lost my lexical way I find one definition for "ingenuity" as being: "Imaginative and clever design". Despite not existing as a word, "disingenuity" —being the contrary of "imaginative and clever design"— still seems to be true of what's happening here in vimeo land, non? ;;;;-)))

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

"I couldn't agree more...!" - Stan & Ollie (and me!)

( - and I *do* have a smattering of Farsi, thanks to my Irani Friend...!!! )

Isabelle Hayeur

Isabelle Hayeur Plus

I just wanted to let you know that I really don't like the new vimeo appearance. I think you should keep the old interface.

808 PRO

If we loved the original Vimeo, then we HATE the beta Vimeo.

Please don't parrot the "details" line, I think it's pretty obvious already on what needs to be addressed. In short: nix the beta.

I smell another Digg/ Netflix revolt.

Jan Vozenilek

Jan Vozenilek Plus

Thinking of going somewhere else as this seems to be a lost cause! Where is all this 'positive' feedback they keep referring to coming from??

Can anyone suggest another video site to go to (other then utube)

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

Can someone explain why the site was even redesigned in the first place? The old design worked fine, and if it's not broken, why fix it?

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Hi Fractal -

It *has* been explained (sort of) on their blog - and if you trawl around you can find these (alleged) reasons.

But in light of the design/functionality/aesthetic drawbacks patiently pointed out here and elsewhere in the forum, their reasons cited appear rather thin and implausible...Sorry to say...

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

Hey Irani Friend,

I saw their page about their goals for the redesign and talked about how the new design fails to meet those goals in my first post in this thread.

I guess a better question would be, why did they have to redesign the whole thing from scratch, and not just modify their old layout?

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi folks, To keep this thread as useful as possible, I want to make sure we're all on the same page about a few things:

• The New Vimeo is here to stay. We will not be going back to the old design.

• The New Vimeo will continue to change and evolve — just as the previous five versions of Vimeo did — oftentimes due to feedback from our community. Take a trip in the Wayback Machine and look at how much Vimeo has grown through the years. Here's what the homepage looked like when I signed up for my Vimeo account: web.archive.org/web/20060412004145/http://vimeo.com/

• The staff is listening to you and paying attention to these threads.

• It is unrealistic to expect that every feature request will be fulfilled. 

Several million people are using the New Vimeo everyday. Since we've rolled out the new site, there has been an increase in usage. We know because we've been tracking and testing.

This thread has tons of useful feedback, but also a lot of assumptions and accusations that the staff is intentionally harming Vimeo, which is pretty hurtful. I think we, the Vimeo community, are above that and I hope you feel the same way.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Hi Andrea!

You write: "To keep this thread as useful as possible, I want to make sure we're all on the same page about a few things:"

Useful to whom...? Useful in what way?

Is this thread mainly a sop, a release valve, a way to isolate and identify recalcitrants...? :-)

You write: "- The New Vimeo is here to stay. We will not be going back to the old design."

Andrea, Andrea Andrea...How does the Vimeo staff become so fixed and unyielding so early on in life?

How do they so blithely disregard the honest, heartfelt, eloquently expressed difficulties that many many Vimeo community members are experiencing with this "New" Vimeo...?

One example: Has it ever occurred to any of the designers that if one has a slight physical tremor - or worse, something like Parkinsons' - how very difficult just using the new page layout actually is? If the cursor moves even a bit one rolls over onto another category and - unless this has been repaired - the entire page jerks up and down!

Not to mention - as I have repeatedly, and which has not been adequately addressed by any staff member - the disturbing visual noise of flashing text that is part and parcel of the new horizontal nav bar!

Has anyone there even considered any of this when designing the (too) many drop-down menus...?

How frustrating to many Vimeo users this is. As is the stubborn insistence that the Big Vid Window is the best way to display our videos...

If I were Ms. Mellencamp or Mr. Diller, I'd pay far more attention to the candid, thoughtful, cogently expressed accounts of "New" Vimeo problems (in this and many other threads) than I would to pages and pages of one word/one line "Awesome!"s or "Can't Wait!"s...

You write: "- It is unrealistic to expect that every feature request will be fulfilled."

To be fair, I have not read ONE post from anyone wanting to retain the White/Blue (BEST) Vimeo that expresses the expectation that ALL her or his requests will be fulfilled. To imply otherwise - as you do - is akin to Vimeo's dismissive assumption embodied in the unfortunate words "I Hate Change".

The one group that DOES (confidently) expect that "every feature request will be fulfilled" is the Vimeo Staff - e.g. "We will not be going back to the old design."

Re the Wayback Machine:

Wow!! I really *like* that older Vimeo page design! To my mind it's almost as good as the one that you and all there are so intent on scrapping...

Seamas McSwiney

Seamas McSwiney

I think many of us expected this would happen sooner or later. And that you were just indulging in some communication exercise with people who care enough to have an opinion. And sooner or later you would resent the constructive criticism.

Important point:
No-one suggested that you were intentionally harming vimeo. However, that you were doing it unintentionally became a stronger hypothesis over time as your responses continued to be empty and relatively inconsiderate.
But never mind, even the most successful corporations have made major mistakes along the way, and come back to fix them and find their way again.

For the sake of (optimising) your business plan, you really do need to do a proper survey designed by people who know this.
You use numbers like a Lit major. Just tossing out one doesn't add up to anything unless it is related to others and is tracked and compared over time. For example, you were already going through steady growth, are you improving on that trend? If not, hmmm. If so, is the change the only variable responsible etc. Beware of aggregates. Isolate the variables. Ceteris paribus.

You need to do a proper survey designed by people who know how to do this sort of thing. Was your beta phase test group representative?
Are there any "new" changes you have modified because of feedback here? Nearly everybody here seems to miss the smaller viewer and the menu sidebar alongside it, for example.
Many new changes seem to mimic YouTube and its changes. You can never beat YouTube, they are in a totally different league. But you can be better by doing what you did better all along. Working your niche. Because it is a very big niche if you cultivate it nicely.

frank richter

frank richter

Please stop the new desing. This is so bad.
The old design worked good, why change it?

Visionlux

Visionlux Plus

Hey Andrea,

Got this message from Riley after being told my recent Plus purchase wouldn't be refunded.
"The pillarboxing of vertical videos in the new Vimeo is something we are currently looking in to and discussing."

So how's that discussion coming along?

From what I can gather it's not just "vertical" videos ( a must for any digital signage professional) getting shoehorned into a rectangle, but any video that doesn't conform to the youtube rectangle spec.

disdanceproject

disdanceproject Plus

Hi!
A - A nice new feature is the "Upload Speed Throttler". In case of uploading big files it is very usefull.
? Is it possible to have this feature in "Video File"-Section for replacing videos too?
? Is it possible to have a own speed throttler for every video in case of multiuploads?

B - Is it possible to have the old "save changes"-button, which noticed any change on my setting and
enabled itself in this case respectively keep disabled in case of no changes?

Thank You.
André

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hi there, André!

• I like your idea of being able to throttling replacement videos. I’ll bring this up with the design team and see if we can come up with a visual solution. • I will check on individual throttlers during multi-upload and get back to you on this. • Could you clarify on the old “Save Changes” button? Do you mean that you want it to stay in a disabled state until you make a change? We do this in some sections and not on others—unifying interactions like this on settings pages is definitely something we want to get to.

Thanks!

disdanceproject

disdanceproject Plus

Thank you for replying!
Sorry for my bad English!

"Do you mean that you want it to stay in a disabled state until you make a change?"
-Exactly!
"We do this in some sections and not on others—unifying interactions like this on settings pages is definitely something we want to get to"
-Yes please do it in the same way for all the setting pages. Otherwise it makes me confused, when I see the activated "save changes"-Button, although I didn't change anything.
Thank You!
André

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Great, thanks for clearing that up. I just took a look into the multiple throttlers request and it looks like this is technically possible for us, so we will look into this for future iterations. Thanks again for your help, André!

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

Today when logging in -

- and BTW - *What* numbskull okay'd the "uniCORNY" splash sign-in screen - Believe me, I'm sincerely delighted that no unicorns were harmed in conjuring up the dreamy fantasy world of Vimeo-land, but it's clearly aimed at four year olds - evidently your target demographic for corporate growth.

Makes me feel like I'm logging in to Romper Room ! ! ! :-(

Could we please have a rotation of different sign-in screens?

One for the children (I've had four and if they were younger I'd encourage them to put their videos up on Vimeo) and a few more aimed at, say, surfers 'n skaters, females who don't comprehend the pervasive use of Photoshop in popular graphics, and one like the one still available (lurking somewhere on your servers) for the White/Blue (BEST) Vimeo...? Thanks!

NOW: I see that Vimeo *HAS* listened to the extent of changing the colors of the text in the drop-down nav bar atop the "New" Vimeo page layout. T H A N K Y O U, Vimeo.

ALSO: Banished (forever, one fervently hopes) is the condescending "I Hate Change" button in the White/Blue (BEST) Vimeo layout in favor of "No, Thanks" -

Thank you all for listening and **W A Y T O G O** Vimeo ! ! ! See? That little bit of Javascript or Ruby on Rails wasn't so difficult to create, was it?

[But -] the topics still change, scroll horizontally and morph way too easily -

(FLASHING TEXT - even if slightly easier on the peepers!)

- if there is not precision cursor-pointing going on and DARN!!! There's that annoying PAGE JERKING again... :-(

But it *is* heartening to see these small but welcome evidences of your flexibility - Thank You, Vimeo.

( Condescending? Moi? :-) )

John Hope

John Hope PRO

The new vimeo has a pair of nice features, but the rest is like as you dropped a bomb in the html code.
It's the monument of confusion and non usability.

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Hi, John! I see that you're using Internet Explorer 7. If you can, update your browser to version 8 or higher. I think you'll find that New Vimeo will work much better for you!

Ronald Hoeben

Ronald Hoeben Plus

Cannot find an embed code after clicking on Get the embed code. What's wrong?

JSM

JSM Plus

Things just got perfectly clear about what is going on at Vimeo with this one statement:

"The New Vimeo is here to stay. We will not be going back to the old design."

This is not about advancing Vimeo for the "Community", it is about corporate greed.

It all starts to make sense when you couple that arrogant statement with the March 2012 announcement that Barry Diller's IAC hired a new Vimeo CEO, Kerry Trainor, an ex AOL executive, and demoted Dae Mellencamp to President.

This is the classic scenerio of bringing in the hired guns to build up a company when the only intent is selling it for mega bucks a few years down the line.

First, Dae Mellencamp, who's background is controversial for ruining other web sites, comes in and initiates the gutting of the classic Vimeo "look" and replaces it with one which the "industry" recognizes as more mainstream.
Then they bring in a new CEO who's expertise is advertising and who will eventually turn Vimeo into the ad rich tacky environment similar to YouTube.

Industry experts are reporting that these changes indicate Vimeo does indeed have it's sights on aggressively generating money through ads and ad-products. This very large, multi-million (or billion) dollar revenue flow is what will attract investment companies to flock to IAC as potential buyers of the Vimeo property.

So, all of this dribble from the "staff" about how Vimeo is listening and making changes, are just corporate instructions from the adults to the children to placate those who dare complain.

We have all been had.

Irani Friend

Irani Friend

"Nevertheless..." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

808 PRO

Vimeo has turned it's back on it's creative philosophy and integrity and it will soon become ad-central.

Been saying this for awhile now that Vimeo has sold out. It is a coup.

Fractal Circus

Fractal Circus

Spot on JSM,

Vimeo has clearly abandoned it's original plan of catering to filmmakers and people who actually care about quality, and are intent on making a platform for mass appeal.

Statements like "the staff are listening" and the actions of the staff contradict each other. Not one useful critique by a user about the design has been responded to by the staff. Instead they cherry-pick something small so it looks like they're engaged. The sole exception to this has been Andrea.

Nobody has said the staff is intentionally trying to destroy Vimeo. That doesn't even make sense for a company to sabotage itself by alienating it's clients.

What is being said and looks more true everyday, is that they're abandoning the community that made it what it is in the first place. I don't know about the rest of you but so far for me the staff has been no better than a wall with statements on it.

Ahmed

Ahmed

My english is not good enough to give constructive criticism so I can only say that I love Vimeo, but I HATE the new design. I't so bad it makes me really sad

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hello everyone,

At this point, I think it's clear that this thread has become unproductive. The Feature Request forum is a place for our members to give specific feedback regarding the site.

I'll be opening a different thread with clear instructions for posting.

Constructive, respectful criticism is fine, but rabble rousing, attacking the staff with wild accusations, and name calling is unbecoming of a Vimeo member and if this behavior continues, you will no longer be welcome.

Please review our community guidelines:  vimeo.com/help/guidelines  ;

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.