Paul W. Rankin

Paul W. Rankin

48kbs seems kinda poor to me. It's good enough for the average "this is me riding the bus" type clip, but it sounds really bad when the clip has a soundtrack. Obviously not everyone wants or needs 128kbs audio, so an option in the upload process (high/low qual. audio) would be cool.

Hepe

Hepe

Hm, how is the quality today?

Does anyone know about audio rates at other video sharing sites?

TheDeadlyDeaths

TheDeadlyDeaths

Yeah, would definitely love to have the option to have higher quality audio compression levels. Perhaps an option when uploading to favour either audio quality or video quality?

Johann

Johann

There is always the option of viewing the original file under "Download". And that should have the sample rate that you set up yourself.

Sometimes when I want to watch a really good clip with nice quality sound, I just download the file for viewing it. Then you can also view it fullscreen.

So, how can you tell what the audio sample rate is in the flash files?

TheDeadlyDeaths

TheDeadlyDeaths

Bump. Does this bother anybody else? I really like vimeo. I like the embedded video interface and that the preview image/still for the video is much clearer than some other video hosting websites (which would make it great for embedding on my website). Unfortunately I can't use it on my website because of the poor sound quality! I've uploaded the clip to youtube to show the difference (don't hate me for using youtube, haha). I hate to link to youtube from here, but the difference in sound quality is huge ( compare youtube.com/watch?v=a6NvLwh18Uk to vimeo.com/clip:117208 ). Because of this low bitrate it sounds as though the vimeo version has been passed through some sort of phaser effect.

And I realise there is the option of downloading the original, but if it is an embedded file then what is the point of embedding it in the first place?

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Strange, you're right. The Youtube clip has clearer highs, whereas the vimeo clip is a little muffled, with too much bass. The vimeo clip is about a megabyte larger than the youtube clip... but it seems youtube's video data rate is slightly higher than vimeo's. (330k compared to about 307k)
Unfortunately the player I used, didn't give me any information about youtube's audio... it says 'no info'. Vimeo's audio is about 64k.
Maybe youtube uses variable audio, allowing better quality at smaller size...? dang yo.

Personally, I would like a higher bitrate overall. Even having a slow connection, I prefer higher quality. 128k audio would be nice.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I should mention that player measured it in "kbits" - is that different to kilobytes?

TheDeadlyDeaths

TheDeadlyDeaths

I've just downloaded the videos off vimeo and youtube and it appears that they both have a data rate of 64 kbps. However, the sample rate of the youtube version is at 22 kHz as opposed to the 44 kHz of vimeo, and the youtube version is encoded in mono as opposed to the stereo encoding of vimeo. So I guess they've thrown away a bit of the sound information (lowered the number of channels to encode and lowered the sample rate) so that there is less information to fit into that 64 kbps (and therefore the audio sounds clearer).

So, I guess I'm not asking for a higher bitrate then (though I suppose that would still be nice), I'm asking to set the audio to mono 22 kHz so that the audio doesn't appear to be encoded at such a low bitrate.

Or, will it already do that if I upload my video with mono audio at 22 kHz?

TheDeadlyDeaths

TheDeadlyDeaths

Well, I made a quick little test file ( vimeo.com/clip:144406 ) that I encoded the audio as AAC, 32 kHz (quicktime wouldn't let me do 22 kHz), mono at 64 kbps and it sounds a lot better than the original clip ( vimeo.com/clip:117208 ). The original clip was like AAC, 44 kHz, stereo at 128 kbps before I uploaded it. Its a pain that I have to do the re-encoding at my end, but I guess its a way around the low quality sound of before.

I guess I'm going to have to re-encode them and upload them again (if I can be bothered). So just a note, if you're reading this days or months after I posted it and not hearing any differences between the youtube and vimeo versions it will be because I've replaced them, haha.

TheDeadlyDeaths

TheDeadlyDeaths

Maybe they could add a user guide on how to make your video SOUND better. I notice the upload guide recommends QDesign Music 2, stereo, 44 kHz at 48 kbits/s (which sounds terrible).

dalas verdugo

dalas verdugo Staff

Yeah, I think I actually requested that the QDesign thing be changed. Maybe I will bring that up again after they are done fixing the recent bugs. I'll also talk to Jakob about this sound issue and see what we want to do (changing our settings vs. recommending settings like the ones you have discovered work best).

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.