hªnnes

hªnnes

did you ever give it a tought?
so people could make cool vimeo mashups :-)

Desmark

Desmark

and me!

I remember a while back hearing this was in the works.

Perez

Perez

API?
what is it?

Max Braun

Max Braun

API stands for "application programming interface". Flickr has one, for example. People can do cool stuff processing the data that is provided by the API, i.e. photos there, videos here.

Edworth

Edworth

Despite Max Braun's explanation, I'm still none the wiser as to what exactly API would offer me. I know it's described as being "cool", but I know it's cool to travel towards the North or South Pole. I didn't need API for my last Arctic trip.

Can you direct me to an "API for Dummies" explanation?

Desmark

Desmark

Essentially its a way that lets users re-interpret the user interface for the site. It lets you browse information in different ways, ie finding more videos relevant to your own but via different search guidelines.

Have a look at these flickr mashups, these are my fave 2, but there are loads about.
krazydad.com/colrpickr/
marumushi.com/apps/flickrgraph/

DJ Paine

DJ Paine Plus

a geotag / google maps mash up with vimeo would be sweet.

elton stewart

elton stewart

this would be cool... it would also allow people to develop better uploaders etc... like in flock or other apps...

JackSim

JackSim

Yeah, that would definately be cool!

Jonathan Marcus

Jonathan Marcus

Definitely on the product roadmap.

Out of interest: what applications / integrations do people envision the API being used for?

Joao Antunes

Joao Antunes

With the API 3rd parties could make like wordpress plugins (to have your own custom page of videos in your site), upload and converting applications...

Well, the most interesting applications are the one none of us thinks right now :)

Jonathan Marcus

Jonathan Marcus

A custom page of videos on a (personal) blog would be definitely be cool.

But cant you do that already using embed codes? How can we make it significantly easier / more automated?

This is an area that were going to increasingly focus on, so we would like to hear what the community wants.

Desmark

Desmark

further to this thread vimeo.com/forums/topic:1074 it would be cool to see some sort of video mixer. Enabling people involved in projects to re-cut and edit all the footage into one clip. Each user could have their own edit.
It would also be nice to use it as a vj device while sounds are playing or similar. Would open up a bit of creative commons debate, but could be cool.
Video based games is something I'd like to explore more, just can't think of much past a video sliding tile game :D
Maybe a serial murder mystery spread across the community as a project?
The ability to generate rss feeds, similar to yahoo pipes too.
I'll stop now, before I make myself look more stupid.

Jonathan Marcus

Jonathan Marcus

Desmark: Not stupid at all. But, Im having trouble understanding how your post relates to an API vs. other site functionality. Would be helpful if you could explain.

Desmark

Desmark

No probs, after re-reading that I was a little lost myself :D
Regarding video editing, I think it would be nice to mix/edit videos in an online environment as opposed to the usual offline version.

Now I know that video editing can be a resource hog, so as far as professional looking work goes, offline is the only way.

However, I think the portability of the flv format coupled with xml tagging could lend itself to a fairly basic editing suite.
Lets say for example there were 10 videos that people had added to a project with a relevant tag. If there was an app that would collate the relevant videos, users could compile all of the videos into one streaming file by swapping out videos at specifically tagged points. It would still be multiple clips, but viewed as one complete video.
Users could quickly make multiple edits of collaborations and share them. I think it would also help people who are perhaps new to editing video. With a 250mb limit there is no reason why somebody could upload various parts of a shoot, wholly un-edited and invite the community to make a personal director's cut style thingummy.

I'm sure I'm waffling now, and my other suggestions certainly need more thought. In future I shall refrain from posting after too many brewskis.

Jonathan Marcus

Jonathan Marcus

You are not waffling. I think you will be pleasantly surprised in a couple of months ;)

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

This sounds a lot like the really really old version of Vimeo, where it would create compilations of clips automatically. It would be cool if the new version eventually re-introduced a feature that has long been missing.

This would be so awesome for projects like the simultaneous capture, where instead of one person being charged with the duty of editing everything together, the website just took all the clips and did it automatically.

soulgrind

soulgrind

this "old version" of vimeo sounds great.. flickr uploads, choosing thumbails, compilatios of clips.. what happened??

Jumpcut has an excellent implementation of this... though i'd settle for just playing a playlist or tag back to back.. a little like a flickr slideshow.

The most useful use of the API (pr thing vimeo could add) would be mapping. But the main advantagof an api is that people come up with things you'd never have thought of.. and it creates a buzz and a lot of publicity around your product whenever anyone comes up with something cool.

dalas verdugo

dalas verdugo Staff

"this "old version" of vimeo sounds great.. flickr uploads, choosing thumbails, compilatios of clips.. what happened??"

Switched from QuickTime to Flash. It was a trade-off. Features will be returning as we work on the site.

Desmark

Desmark

Sweet as a peach. Nice work as always gents.
I'd never heard of jumpcut before either, nice link soulgrind.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.