sumoman

sumoman

The videos all display as large, so my 640x480 videos are fuzzy. The thumbnails are all stretched. All videos display jerkily (flash doesn't like large videos). Please give an option to have videos display at actual size and thumbnails to display as actual size... like it was before.

G Telci

G Telci

You've been looking at this issue for months now! I don't understand what's taking so long? Roll back to the original default size and give us or the viewers the option to choose whatever size we'd like to watch/display videos. Jeez man!

Studio Rossiter

Studio Rossiter PRO

Has this issue been resolved? My video is 832 x 468 and it'd be great if it wasn't scaled up and fuzzy... :-) Thank you!

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

yet another change was made for the worse!

the thumbnails used to be 4:3 which accommodated both 4:3 and 16:9 videos perfectly, since widescreen can easily be cropped to but not vice versa.

Now my 4:3 video thumbnails either stretch the image to fit widescreen or it gets cropped horribly.

At least add some vertical black bars to either side and preserve the original aspect ratio of the standard definition 640x480 videos.

PS- and please display them at their native resolution and not enlarged to giant size.

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen PRO

Hi Kristopher, We're looking into this. It seems not all 640x480 videos are getting stretched, but some definitely are. Thanks for reporting the issue!

sumoman

sumoman

Its always puzzled me why designers feel the need to constantly change what already works. In this case the new design is difficult to navigate, produces stretched fuzzy thumbnails which are cropped horribly... and then it plays giant movies which are blurry and jerky.

So I opted out of Vimeo and it goes back to the old design... which leaves me wondering what others are actually viewing.

sumoman

sumoman

I look at vimeo in google-chrome and opera (instead of my default firefox) and I see that it is the old design.

Maybe vimeo is showing as new design only to those who have accounts with them?

Kris Peck

Kris Peck Plus

i'm tempted to set all my 4:3 videos to "private" because it's embarrassing how they are displayed with the new vimeo.

sumoman

sumoman

Yes your 640x480 videos look big and fuzzy.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Constructive criticism is more than welcome, but this response is unhelpful and negative. Please refrain from this kind of behavior on Vimeo.

Artiste

Artiste

So, vimeo, why don't you explain why you made the images and videos too big? Was it an aesthetic decision (which is obviously questionable) or was there some other reason?

AleG

AleG

My understanding is that they wanted to make videos the uncontested focus of attention on the pages, unfortunately to the detriment of everything else. One always had the option of playing a video in full screen if so would choose, so I don't think degrading the functionality of Vimeo to fix a non-problem is a good idea.

Artiste

Artiste

It seems like a pissing match with YouTube to me. I think they stole Vimeo's like button, and Vimeo is now going for the "wet" look.

sumoman

sumoman

I chose vimeo because the videos displayed at the size I uploaded them and the thumbnails were of decent size - now that is no longer the case. I'll be moving the videos to another site. My guess is that vimeo only wants HD videos.

Sean Lantis

Sean Lantis

I have the same issue. I did a test about a year ago with some videos and like the quality Vimeo had over youtube. I also liked the ability to replace/update a video, but when I finally got around to exporting and uploading my final videos I was horrified to see the poor quality caused by the new larger format. It's really disappointing to say the least and I hope the good people over at Vimeo can add a HD/SD/Native Size set of options for us in the near future.

ali inhan

ali inhan Plus

Has this issue not been solved yet? I'm having the exact same problem still 1 year after this thread was created.

As a workaround I changed the size of the thumb (a jpeg image) to make it fit 16:9 -it's originally 4:3- by adding black bars to each side. The thumb looked good but the poster frame in the player looked awkward because it needed to fit in the 4:3 ratio. So I eliminated this hack and I'm looking for a solution.

Can anybody from Vimeo help or provide us with a solution?

NicheTrainings.com

NicheTrainings.com

Dear Team, I want to get video size from vimeo , i dont find any where in API, Can you please help me on this issue.

Thanks
Rajesh

Nadaav

Nadaav Plus

I'm also looking for a solution - I have two 4:3 videos and the thumbs look terrible. I have tried to upload a screen grab with added bars but the upload won't even work (perhaps I have the wrong dimensions for a 16:9 thumbnail?)

Thanks

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

To keep the video clip page's layout consistent, we display the video player in 16:9 mode throughout the site.

cecilia bossi

cecilia bossi

because we can not upload a video of 724MB, when we have previously loaded with larger?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hi. Basic members can upload only up to 500MB per week. We had never extended the upload limit beyond that in the past.

Feiner Arts

Feiner Arts PRO

May we please have an option to default videos embed to full-screen in "actual size" mode? Some HD material will look better on large resolution screens without any resampling and scaling taking place.

Emerald Concerts

Emerald Concerts

Dear Vimeo staff,

I have a similar problem as well.

The video I originally uploaded is 16:9 in aspect with a dimension of 640 x 360 px (I don't have an HD version available). After uploading the video successfully, I checked out the relevant Vimeo page embedding the video, i.e. the page that my contacts would see if I forwarded them the corresponding Vimeo URL pointing to my video.

Sadly, I realised that Vimeo shows the video in a dimension that is way larger than the original, perhaps because the Vimeo player is too big by default :( This deeply spoils the viewer's experience in my opinion, because the video then looks blurry and of poor quality... As it would make my viewers' experience very unprofessional, I had unfortunately to remove the video.

Will it be possible in the near future to show non-HD videos in their original dimensions on Vimeo? I can see that some of your users got frustrated about it too for a while now ;)

Thank you very much!

David Gillick

David Gillick

Maybe raise the file limit for Free Account to 2GB and increase the bitrate for clearer, less blocky pictures, smoother action, and better-preserved colors.

Also size the player depending on SD or HD uploads.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.