Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

UPDATE 11/8/13: We've been in talks with Sony and are exploring the opportunity to build something together. While we don't typically announce future product releases in advance, we hope we can eventually offer a solution to those users.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

As I'm pretty sure you are already aware, this isn't really about us deciding to make an app. It's more about their users asking Sony to build an app for Vimeo and them deciding to reach out to us.

Martin Lynn Hicks

Martin Lynn Hicks Plus

i have also showed interest in an app simular to the one thats on appleTV for PS3..

by the power of greyskull we want more vimeo tv app viewing goodness!

FSMP

FSMP

moi aussi

art

art

Can you tell us where can we send this request to Sony?

Hussain Raja

Hussain Raja

That's not Sony saying it. That's a user on a forum saying it....we don't know what Sony's stance is.

Jesse Jesster

Jesse Jesster

As far as I can tell, Sony says that Vimeo needs to make the app and Vimeo says that Sony needs to make the app. Catch 22 anyone?

Tyler Tworek

Tyler Tworek

Vimeo needs to get on this. I would be on vimeo a lot more often if I could watch on my dumb t.v. through a smart console. I'd probably even consider a vimeo plus application as a replacement for hulu plus. I know they have totally different content, but If I was able to watch vimeo easily on my t.v., I probably wouldn't be interested in hulu anymore.

Robert Vogel

Robert Vogel

I adore watching YouTube on my HDTV and am holding my breath for this to happen!

gene pope

gene pope

Who made the Vimeo apps for Apple TV, XBOX 360, Android, etc? It seems the answer to that would shed a lot of light on the answer to the Vimeo on PS3 question.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Not exactly. As Sox mentioned, Sony would need to reach out to us after demand from their community asking for a Vimeo app. Unfortunately we cannot simply build this and hope Sony will accept it.

Archive of Christian Williams

Archive of Christian Williams Plus

No Vimeo on my new 50" Panasonic smart TV, either. But Youtube is there.

Seems to bve Vimeo ought to "reach out" to the manufacturers. Or is Youtube to have the field all to itself?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We do reach out to connected TV industry and they reach out to us. We have a decent coverage in this area we hope we can expand more. Of course, being on every single platform would be difficult.

Link: vimeo.com/everywhere

Michael Williams

Michael Williams

Just my 2 cents. I would think the onus would be on Vimeo to make this app, not Sony. Claiming it is on Sony to make the app would be like saying that Apple should develop a Vimeo app for iPads. Sony didn't create the YouTube app, or Netflix app. And at the end of the day, making a Vimeo app for PS3 should NOT be a massive undertaking. I mean, it's a video player app, not a complex game or extensive app like Photoshop.

"Unfortunately we cannot simply build this and hope Sony will accept it"

Why not? If it's done well, I doubt Sony would refuse to put it in the PlayStation Store. Having more video services bolsters Sony's play for the role of "media hub" of the household.

There are multiple comments about Sony reaching out to Vimeo once they have enough demand from users. I'm not sure why they would need to reach out to you first..... Sounds more like a cop out than a legit reason for not making an app.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Michael,

As I'm sure you understand, we cannot dedicate the time to build something that we're not sure would be accepted by Sony. We have a lot of other priorities and our developer team's time is valuable.

If something materializes with Sony, we'll be sure to let users know. For now though, it's not on our todo list.

Michael Williams

Michael Williams

Understood. I guess I was puzzled on the "waiting for Sony to reach out". Vimeo is not insignificant in the realm of video on the internet, so I would hope Sony would entertain at least an initial discussion which would help you all determine if it's worth your effort to create an app. With the popularity of the PS3 (and likely the upcoming PS4) as a media hub, it should would be nice to have access to Vimeo videos on there.

Robert Livingstone

Robert Livingstone

Matt, this posture gets you, and us, nowhere. Just ask your senior management to contact Sony and find out if they'll accept the app if you build it. Simple. Unless the problem is that your technology isn't ready yet. Case in point: the same video on Vimeo and YouTube runs fine on YouTube but is choppy and out of sync on Vimeo. Check out the links: vimeo.com/ondemand/helenkellerhadapitbull?goback=%2Egde_2039119_member_254100275

youtube.com/watch?v=lOzxslDz0Wo&feature=youtu.be

In addition, I tried a few other videos on Vimeo and experienced the same problem.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Robert,

For the playback issues, please contact us: vimeo.com/help/contact

As we mentioned, we do not have the time to build an app we're not sure will be accepted. If Sony has the demand, they will most likely contact us to move forward, as did Apple and Xbox. For now, we are not dedicating time on it.

FilmGym

FilmGym PRO

Matt,
Sorry...just have to give in my two cents here. I like Vimeo, I do...but reading ur feedback here copy and pasted over and over just kind of has me baffled. I'm really surprised, especially in regards to Vimeo demand, that u are not "dedicating" any time on developing an app for playstation...which sits in many many people's homes and is being used to watch steaming content. Of course users want Vimeo on ps3. They are telling u in this forum. And it's easy for Vimeo to contact Sony and see if an app would be accepted instead of telling users to go to Sony and tell them to contact u. I'm just totally amazed by these business practices. Kind of speechless actually...and really not listening to users demands. After all, u are selling a product, no? So weird. I have no idea what ur business strategy is...maybe u got it all figured out but I wish u would come up with a better answer then "let them come to us" when many and im sure all PS3 users clearly like to see Vimeo.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey there,

I'm sorry if we're not being clear, but again Vimeo cannot dedicate the time to making something without a plan. Sony controls their Playstation apps and we must have approval and demand before taking on such a huge task. Should Sony tell us there is a demand and approve of us making an app, it will certainly be something we consider, but it's not a process you can dive into and just hope for the best.

If you feel so inclined, maybe start a similar thread on Playstation's website – they really have the final say here.

FilmGym

FilmGym PRO

Matt,
You have been clear and it's all understood. What I'm baffled about is your standpoint. You cannot tell me that Apple approached you for your app, or Samsung, or Roko, or XBox. And clearly...there is demand as you can see by this thread. It sounds a bit like kindergarten....let them come first, then we do something. Since Vimeo and their users want their content to get out there, it's up to Vimeo to make the approach. I just don't get it. What would it take to just approach Sony and ask, instead of waiting for them to come to you? Sony doesn't have the urgency as there are already numerous streaming services on their platform.

Vimeo doesn't have to develop anything yet. But what they should be doing is making the request...and if Sony says yes, then what would stop you from going ahead. Again....baffling business practice. I guess we users just have to wait until one makes the approach.

And...there are threads already. Maybe Sony is waiting for you to step forward.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We have people in charge of partnerships who work on things like this and unfortunately no conversation is currently going on with Sony. It is a combination of both companies coming to an agreement over what should/will be done, and yes, Apple, Samsung, Xbox, and Roku all worked the same way.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.